ADVERTISEMENT

TJD

All the guy did was post a link. Unless he edited his original post, I don’t see any chest thumping. I wouldn’t question the responses if he was talking s*** but there’s nothing in that post to indicate that was his intention.

And you can’t really expect me to assume every IU thread is an attempt to troll when you currently have a 9 page discussion titled “Woodson and Indiana Basketball” that was started by a PU poster. I’ve been posting on this board off and on since 2011 and had plenty of reasonable discussions with some PU fans.

It was obviously meant to be chest thumping. Why else would an IU fan post that over here?

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
It was obviously meant to be chest thumping. Why else would an IU fan post that over here?
To start a discussion? It would be one thing if it was that ass clown that used to troll over here all the time but I’m somewhat familiar with dbmhoosier’s posts and never really thought he came off as a troll. Granted, I haven’t been as active on the boards since my son was born but I’m pretty sure he’s who I’m thinking of.

And if you’re who I’m thinking you are, we’ve had discussions about Purdue on Btown Banners and HSN. You probably know better than most on here that those boards welcome discussion from rival fans.

Reactions: boiler1987
Us IU fans should have learned our lesson about pre-season boasting numerous times, but we do not. The worst nickname in basketball history (The Movement) should be held up as an example of unrealistic expectations.

TJD coming back is cool, but it means nothing as to IU's chances for greater success next year until it means something (after the season is complete).

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Us IU fans should have learned our lesson about pre-season boasting numerous times, but we do not. The worst nickname in basketball history (The Movement) should be held up as an example of unrealistic expectations.

TJD coming back is cool, but it means nothing as to IU's chances for greater success next year until it means something (after the season is complete).
True. I pretty much maintain a state of cautious optimism these days. I think this could be the best team IU has had in a long time but I won’t be getting excited until they show me they’ve learned how to shoot.

Nbadraft.net had him going pretty high in the 2nd rd. As another posted stated, he got the Vid so didn't participate in the combine. This is probably a good thing for Tre Williams as TJD probably would have been drafted before Tre.

No chance he was going to be drafted above Tre, and, unlikely at all that he would even be drafted...thus the return...heck, he may even use his COVID year and come back yet again next year. The guy's game does not translate at all to the NBA...and I am sure that he has heard that multiple times from multiple people.

Williams is a much better overall player with a much broader skill set...and, even with that, he will be fighting like crazy just for an opportunity.

Reactions: BBG
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Trayce Jackson-Davis won’t be listed in the measurements released at the NBA draft combine as he’s not currently in Chicago.<br><br>Here are some recent TJD measurements that were passed along to us:<br><br>6’10” with shoes<br>9’ standing reach<br>7’ 2 1/2” wingspan<br>8.4 percent body fat <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/iubb?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#iubb</a></p>&mdash; Inside the Hall (@insidethehall) <a href=" ">May 18, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
They failed to disclose that the shoes were heels...

Sometimes I find myself in awe of the hatred some of you guys have for IU. Edey averaged 14 and 8 and my first thought when I saw he was returning was “damn, I was hoping he’d stay in the draft.” TJD has averaged 17 and 9 for his career (17 & 8 in conference last season), and you don’t just say he sucks; you actually try to defend your position. If that’s the mark of an average player on a poor team, I’ll take a team of 5 average players just like him any day of the week.
And, you would have the same results that you have had for his three years in the program as well...he is a nice player, but, hardly a difference-maker, and, in that he is the best player there, it is precisely why Indinia has not been relevant forever within the conference, much less nationally.

And, you would have the same results that you have had for his three years in the program as well...he is a nice player, but, hardly a difference-maker, and, in that he is the best player there, it is precisely why Indinia has not been relevant forever within the conference, much less nationally.
Forever might be a bit of a stretch considering IU has two conference titles in the past decade, but recent history has been rough. Crean had the program going downhill at the end of his tenure and the Miller experience was a complete disaster.

I do like what I saw from Woodson in his first year, especially considering they didn’t begin practicing offensive sets until the end of November. A couple of our players really started to show improvement toward the end of the season, and it seemed like they were finally learning how to close out games. If our offense improves as much this year as our defense did last year, IU will be tough. Especially considering TJD may not be the only guy teams have to worry about this year. We should find out early, because rumor has it we’ve scheduled Kansas and Arizona, and are likely to draw UNC/Duke and a ranked Big East team in those tournaments.

No chance he was going to be drafted above Tre, and, unlikely at all that he would even be drafted...thus the return...heck, he may even use his COVID year and come back yet again next year. The guy's game does not translate at all to the NBA...and I am sure that he has heard that multiple times from multiple people.

Williams is a much better overall player with a much broader skill set...and, even with that, he will be fighting like crazy just for an opportunity.
He wasn’t going to be drafted at all. He’ll never be big enough for the post, and he’s and not skilled enough for the perimeter. At the very least, he’ll have to show he can drive/kick and knock down a jump shot with consistency before a team will roll the dice on him. The only one of those things he’s shown is the ability to drive from the perimeter. He was showing some range in a couple combine workout videos, so he’s clearly been working on that. We’ll see if he can do it in a game. I think showing the ability to distribute will be his biggest hurdle. He’s never been asked to facilitate the offense from the outside in, and I’m not sure he can make that adjustment in a year. I transitioned from the post to the wing and it’s just a completely different way of seeing the game.

Morton has proven he can play the point, Smith will be very good. Painter is fine, and remember he can coach players that may not come as 4/5 stars.
IIRC, Morton played the point pretty well in HS. I was high on Smith when we were recruiting him and agree that he’ll end up being pretty good, but I think he’ll struggle early on.

No it wasn’t. They wanted him. He actually only let those 3 recruit him. He honed in on those 3 early. They fell for the Crean snake oil. It was Cody’s decision though. Being in southern indiana I saw him play a lot. He was easily a 5 star. Transformed that IU team immediately.
Typical IU rube spreading phony IU propaganda. He’s another blithering idiot here to tell us how good IU was a decade ago.

****ing Zellers was a dirty chickenshit of a player.

Morton has proven he can play the point, Smith will be very good. Painter is fine, and remember he can coach players that may not come as 4/5 stars.
Morton is a good passer. It’s not that he can’t play the point a little.

The bigger problems are that 1) Morton can’t guard quickness-he can guard the two or three. Ivey and Hunter were both easily able to guard quickness; and that 2) Purdue is currently without a single player that can create off the bounce. No one even seems to be a ‘maybe’ at doing that. Ivey wasn’t a point but he gave Purdue that dimension in a big way.

There are still a lot of portal options out there. Gotta believe Painter has a plan to get one of them.

As for Smith? That’s a lot of faith in a 5’11” borderline 3* whose other offers were Toledo. App St., and Montana. Maybe he’ll turn out good, but the pace of the P5 game is likely to be challenging for a good long while.

Last edited:
Typical IU rube spreading phony IU propaganda. He’s another blithering idiot here to tell us how good IU was a decade ago.

****ing Zellers was a dirty chickenshit of a player.
Babble much? That’s an incoherent rant if I’ve seen one. Sheesh.

All the guy did was post a link. Unless he edited his original post, I don’t see any chest thumping. I wouldn’t question the responses if he was talking s*** but there’s nothing in that post to indicate that was his intention.

And you can’t really expect me to assume every IU thread is an attempt to troll when you currently have a 9 page discussion titled “Woodson and Indiana Basketball” that was started by a PU poster. I’ve been posting on this board off and on since 2011 and had plenty of reasonable discussions with some PU fans.
LMFAO. It was chest thumping and baiting for responses exactly like he got. What would happen had Ivey decided to return and a Purdue person posted a similar thing about Ivey returning on Peegs? What kind of responses would they have gotten? If you think it wouldn't be bad, you're being disingenuous...

Sometimes I find myself in awe of the hatred some of you guys have for IU. Edey averaged 14 and 8 and my first thought when I saw he was returning was “damn, I was hoping he’d stay in the draft.” TJD has averaged 17 and 9 for his career (17 & 8 in conference last season), and you don’t just say he sucks; you actually try to defend your position. If that’s the mark of an average player on a poor team, I’ll take a team of 5 average players just like him any day of the week.
As a former die hard IU guy, let me ask you this....

What is another year at IU going to do for TJD? Is Woody that great a coach? He's okay, and he's a IU guy which is good. But, the folks he's bringing in to supplement TJD have no clue what IU basketball means. Woody is promising them a chance at the Pro's, just as TJD was promised and that's why they're here.

They could give two cents as to the PU rivalry, or what it means to be OSU or Wisky. It's still called Indinia, but it's not real.

Back to TJD, he might go in the bottom of the second round next year. But most likely, he better be taking some foreign language classes this season.

Morton is a good passer. It’s not that he can’t play the point a little.

The bigger problems are that 1) Morton can’t guard quickness-he can guard the two or three. Ivey and Hunter were both easily able to guard quickness; and that 2) Purdue is currently without a single player that can create off the bounce. No one even seems to be a ‘maybe’ at doing that. Ivey wasn’t a point but he gave Purdue that dimension in a big way.

There are still a lot of portal options out there. Gotta believe Painter has a plan to get one of them.

As for Smith? That’s a lot of faith in a 5’11” borderline 3* whose other offers were Toledo. App St., and Montana. Maybe he’ll turn out good, but the pace of the P5 game is likely to be challenging for a good long while.
Morton played his role well last year, but he was recruited as a PG by Painter. 6.4" PG's who are talented are hard to find. When you go back and look at what he did in the 6A class at Butler....two times POY in Pa., Gatorade POY with this kind of stats, I believe he can come in and make it his team this year.

He averaged 27.5 points, 10.3 rebounds, 8.1 assists, 2.6 steals and 1.3 blocks for the WPIAL Class 6A runner-up.

And Smith can back him up and learn.

Morton played his role well last year, but he was recruited as a PG by Painter. 6.4" PG's who are talented are hard to find. When you go back and look at what he did in the 6A class at Butler....two times POY in Pa., Gatorade POY with this kind of stats, I believe he can come in and make it his team this year.

He averaged 27.5 points, 10.3 rebounds, 8.1 assists, 2.6 steals and 1.3 blocks for the WPIAL Class 6A runner-up.

It’s not whether or not Morton is good; it’s what he’s good at. There is a gaping hole on your current roster for guards who feature defensive quickness and the ability to break down a defense off the dribble. Scheme can compensate for the offensive gap some, but not entirely. And a lack of defensive quickness is hard to compensate for period.

I still think the odds of Painter finding a quick guard in the portal are high; he must be recognizing the need too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Gold n Black

I get what you are saying Twin, but Hoosierfan brings up some vaild points. The main concern with Morton is his ability to defend the point, plain and simple. Can he stay in front of quicker guards? Our team defense functions best when we have good (individual) lateral quickness on D, and that starts at the top of the key. Everything else starts to break down if that one ingredient is missing. Recovery and help side D only goes so far.

As a former die hard IU guy, let me ask you this....

What is another year at IU going to do for TJD? Is Woody that great a coach? He's okay, and he's a IU guy which is good. But, the folks he's bringing in to supplement TJD have no clue what IU basketball means. Woody is promising them a chance at the Pro's, just as TJD was promised and that's why they're here.

They could give two cents as to the PU rivalry, or what it means to be OSU or Wisky. It's still called Indinia, but it's not real.

Back to TJD, he might go in the bottom of the second round next year. But most likely, he better be taking some foreign language classes this season.
Another year gives him the opportunity to show whether he can hit a jump shot with consistency. If he can, I think it’s enough to at least get him drafted. As far as Woodson’s abilities, a lot remains to be seen. I will say that TJD wouldn’t even attempt a right-handed finish his first two years, but he showed noticeable improvement in that area after one off-season with Woodson. Recent videos of him shooting threes show he’s been working on that as well. He’s clearly being steered in the right direction, which wasn’t happening under Miller. I think it’s just a matter of whether he puts in the work to add the missing pieces to his game.

Reactions: 5 to 0
Here’s something that TJD cited as what another year at IU is going to do for him; before he starts his pro career he’s going to get a college degree.

NIL? He’s a positive side of NIL-in this case it’s an inducement to staying in the college game and hanging out with his peers instead of agents and hucksters, and getting an education.

TJD is a very good college player who has real flaws in his game. In some ways it’s similar to Edey; another very good college player with flaws who could go pro and get paid in Europe or the G League, but is staying in college. It’s a helluva good way to spend your 20-22 year old years.

Who is more likely to be a satisfied, successful 50 year old—TJD with the route he’s taking or an IU one year pass through like Vonleh who got drafted, stuck around the league for a few years, and is now bouncing around pro leagues with no degree, and no network of friends or alums from IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 to 0
So far in the first page of this thread:
  • He sucks so bad
  • Quitter
  • Can't shoot
  • Underachieving five star
  • Bad NBA feedback
  • Not good enough
  • Playing for a dummy, who now looks like a pecker because Trayce is coming back
  • Sucks (again) with "leads to blowouts" thrown in
  • Interested in NIL and Euro $$
  • May not be as tall as advertised
I guess this makes me wonder if he'll be good enough to play in the B1G (;)).

I also wonder, with so many here concerned about mercenaries that change teams too often, why such negativity to a player who will stay for four years and get a degree before going pro, whether his pro days are in the NBA or not? Long before NIL, he decided to stay for multiple years rather than try to climb through the G League or Eurpoe into the NBA.
because that's what people here do. they always have. there is very little objectivity expressed on this board. if you don't say POTFH 50 times a day,, you are considered a troll. they feel obligated to dis anything that happens at IU. if i mentioned I went to a Straight no chaser concert, people here would diss them too as if purdue has produced greater musicians. People here dis olympic track athletes . the off season is no different than the regular season. IU is a great academic school. there are more and better things in life than purdue basketball and the posts made here.

because that's what people here do. they always have. there is very little objectivity expressed on this board. if you don't say POTFH 50 times a day,, you are considered a troll. they feel obligated to dis anything that happens at IU. if i mentioned I went to a Straight no chaser concert, people here would diss them too as if purdue has produced greater musicians. People here dis olympic track athletes . the off season is no different than the regular season. IU is a great academic school. there are more and better things in life than purdue basketball and the posts made here.
When I come on this board I constantly cite the positives about Purdue bball, but when I cite a positive about an IU player in an IU thread it brings out incredible vitriol.

There’s some good posters, but it feels like the mods don’t ever regulate the gratuitous insults.

It’s a shame; as the other IU poster said, the HSN and BtownBanners IU free sites welcome opposing fans and don’t allow for personal attacks, but this seems to be the only free Purdue board and the insults are allowed to fly. Sometimes the response to that here is to cite the Peegs free board, but that’s a low activity crap-fest.

Another year gives him the opportunity to show whether he can hit a jump shot with consistency. If he can, I think it’s enough to at least get him drafted. As far as Woodson’s abilities, a lot remains to be seen. I will say that TJD wouldn’t even attempt a right-handed finish his first two years, but he showed noticeable improvement in that area after one off-season with Woodson. Recent videos of him shooting threes show he’s been working on that as well. He’s clearly being steered in the right direction, which wasn’t happening under Miller. I think it’s just a matter of whether he puts in the work to add the missing pieces to his game.

Another year only makes it harder to get drafted as age is very much working against him now.

Another year is not going to make him effective or even viable outside of 5 feet from the hoop. TJD is basically a bust at this point, which is too bad he had potential he just picked the wrong school to help him maximize it.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
You are free to not read or not post here if what is said bothers you so much. You could stay on your own forum and never have to read posts that seem to irritate you so.

Last edited:
When I come on this board I constantly cite the positives about Purdue bball, but when I cite a positive about an IU player in an IU thread it brings out incredible vitriol.

There’s some good posters, but it feels like the mods don’t ever regulate the gratuitous insults.

It’s a shame; as the other IU poster said, the HSN and BtownBanners IU free sites welcome opposing fans and don’t allow for personal attacks, but this seems to be the only free Purdue board and the insults are allowed to fly. Sometimes the response to that here is to cite the Peegs free board, but that’s a low activity crap-fest.
Why are you trying to police our board? If you don't like what goes on here, go away. It's really that simple.

Morton will be the starting 3. We absolutely need a PG from the portal.

(Looking in the mirror as he posts.)

Here’s something that TJD cited as what another year at IU is going to do for him; before he starts his pro career he’s going to get a college degree.

NIL? He’s a positive side of NIL-in this case it’s an inducement to staying in the college game and hanging out with his peers instead of agents and hucksters, and getting an education.

TJD is a very good college player who has real flaws in his game. In some ways it’s similar to Edey; another very good college player with flaws who could go pro and get paid in Europe or the G League, but is staying in college. It’s a helluva good way to spend your 20-22 year old years.

Who is more likely to be a satisfied, successful 50 year old—TJD with the route he’s taking or an IU one year pass through like Vonleh who got drafted, stuck around the league for a few years, and is now bouncing around pro leagues with no degree, and no network of friends or alums from IU.
He's making more at IU than he will ever make in the pros. That's why he's staying.

He's making more at IU than he will ever make in the pros. That's why he's staying.
I don't know if that's true as an "ever." He absolutely will make more than in the GLeague. Probably more than as an unestablished player in Europe for this year.

FWIW, given what Pack showed, I think he likely would have made more NIL $$ by going into the portal and letting the free market of NIL sadness decide who the top bidder was. If Pack was worth $400k from U. Miami, gotta believe TJD or Dickinson would have been worth at least that.

It makes sense for him on a few levels. Beyond my Hoosier happiness that he's staying, to me this feels like an upside of NIL; keeping players in college longer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT