ADVERTISEMENT

TJD

Defensively I don’t see him staying in front of guys like Johnny Davis, Malachi Branham, Terence Williams or even a Galloway. Lots of quick guards play the 3 in the B1G. Could he even guard Newman?

Offensively I don’t think he has the handles to create off the bounce, especially against players who are quicker than he is.

I guess we’ll find out this fall !
Morton actually proves my point about defense positioning. He isn't fast, but knows how to position himself defensively.

Reactions: mathboy
I think TKR will be the biggest impact player we have this year. People forget his upside when he came. Young man seems to have the determination and drive.

I also, think Loyer will surprise some people this year. Seems he has gotten little to zero attention. He's a better version of Cline. IMO

Reactions: mathboy
I think TKR will be the biggest impact player we have this year. People forget his upside when he came. Young man seems to have the determination and drive.

I also, think Loyer will surprise some people this year. Seems he has gotten little to zero attention. He's a better version of Cline. IMO
I don't think people are down on Loyer or even Smith so much as being realistic about expectations for a freshman in Painter's program. Cline shot 35.5% from the field and averaged 3.9 ppg as a freshman. Mathias shot 32.7% and averaged 4.8 ppg. Sasha shot 39.0% and averaged 2.5 ppg.

Agree about TKR and potential. Between TKR, Furst, and Newman, I believe 2 of them are going to make a huge jump this year.

Reactions: Poprudy
Most of those guys weren't tremendously quick off the dribble, but could shoot over the top of the defender(minus Galloway). JD had his way with smaller guards on the block.

Defense at the 3 usually comes from position. The most effective big guards that play the 3 drag most defender's in the paint and simply shoot above them. You have to remember 2 of 3 are top 15 NBA prospects no one played great defense against them and I would simply back off of Galloway as he can't shoot.
Most 3s in the B1G last year could beat Gillis off the dribble IMO, even beyond the ones that I named. His change of direction isn’t the greatest.

Morton actually proves my point about defense positioning. He isn't fast, but knows how to position himself defensively.
Morton is better suited to play the 3 than Mason IMO, both offensively and defensively. Better lateral quickness and change of direction, and more shot creation ability.

I think most of the 3 minutes will be handled by Morton and Newman. But we’ll see.

The attention and preseason press TJD returning brings IU will be nauseating, but what makes everyone think this team will have the intestinal fortitude to actually meet those expectations?

TJD - Obviously talented, but he's no Dale (No toughness, kind of a Momma's boy out there at times)

Kopp - Charmin Soft ( and a Career loser)

Race - Team Leader with 33-46 career B1G record

X - Proven headache, good luck with that

Galloway - Nice player for his role

Leal - Meh so far

Bates - What a disappointment for his ranking

Duncomb - Same

Recruiting class looks good, but what have the guys above done to instill confidence that this next crop will produce? I get when compared to the losses of other rosters in CBB this is a talented bunch, but I would sell high and stay away until they prove something.

The attention and preseason press TJD returning brings IU will be nauseating, but what makes everyone think this team will have the intestinal fortitude to actually meet those expectations?

TJD - Obviously talented, but he's no Dale (No toughness, kind of a Momma's boy out there at times)

Kopp - Charmin Soft ( and a Career loser)

Race - Team Leader with 33-46 career B1G record

X - Proven headache, good luck with that

Galloway - Nice player for his role

Leal - Meh so far

Bates - What a disappointment for his ranking

Duncomb - Same

Recruiting class looks good, but what have the guys above done to instill confidence that this next crop will produce? I get when compared to the losses of other rosters in CBB this is a talented bunch, but I would sell high and stay away until they prove something.
Remember how excited Indinia fans were with the original "movement". And How excited they were to get Lil' Arch? Remember how much of that same roster got them in the play in game last year?

Reactions: Roeder
Not holding my breath that IU will be a top-half-of-the-BIG-team. We've just had too many off-season BIG "championships" from the wide-eyed IU fans that visit their big brother over here to beleive in these fairly tales. I say let them have their high hopes. I even have some perverted hopes they are right! Sorry guys 8-(, As long as we beat them, I don't mind them getting better.

TJD is a good college player, but his surrounding cast has been unable to be a supprt for him is games that mattered. Maybe this year they will have the upper class players to acheive their long festering dream. :cool:

Reactions: Poprudy and BBG
Not holding my breath that IU will be a top-half-of-the-BIG-team. We've just had too many off-season BIG "championships" from the wide-eyed IU fans that visit their big brother over here to beleive in these fairly tales. I say let them have their high hopes. I even have some perverted hopes they are right! Sorry guys 8-(, As long as we beat them, I don't mind them getting better.

TJD is a good college player, but his surrounding cast has been unable to be a supprt for him is games that mattered. Maybe this year they will have the upper class players to acheive their long festering dream. :cool:
Problem is TJD is a one trick pony. He's decent from 7 feet in, but can't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle beyond that.

He's a great shooter against 2 people that couldn't guard me it looks like. Let's not oversell his lack of ability to hit anything beyond 5 feet in a game setting against better competition.

Yeah, most guys can shoot and hit 3s in practice. I used to play pickup games with players in college at Valpo and it was always kind of funny because all the big guys wanted to shoot from long range then and could hit. In a college game, none of them you wanted shooting from very far from the bucket because they couldn't hit the broadside of the barn in a game, but when just goofing around and having fun, most of those guys could hit at a lot higher rate than your average guy off the street.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
He's a great shooter against 2 people that couldn't guard me it looks like. Let's not oversell his lack of ability to hit anything beyond 5 feet in a game setting against better competition.
Agree! He's probably always had the capability to hit that shot, but during an aggressive defense at game tempo is different.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Morton is better suited to play the 3 than Mason IMO, both offensively and defensively. Better lateral quickness and change of direction, and more shot creation ability.

I think most of the 3 minutes will be handled by Morton and Newman. But we’ll see.
The problem is that if Gillis or TKR can't play the 3, Purdue will have three of its better pieces competing for minutes at the 4. Assuming Edey plays 25 to 30 minutes, Furst can play 10 or 15 at the 5 and about the same at the 4. That only leaves 25 to 30 minutes for Gillis and TKR to split if neither can play the three. For Purdue to get its best 7 or 8 on the court as much as possible one of these guys needs to be able to ply some minutes at the three.

Right, that's what I'm saying. He CAN hit those shots, he doesn't have a complete lack of shooting ability. But he hasn't yet shown the confidence to take those shots in a game. He says that will change this year, but he'll have to prove it. And he doesn't need to be able to hit those shots with someone in his face to expand his game, he just needs to be able to hit open ones on a kick out to keep defenses honest. Most NBA bigs that can shoot also aren't taking off the dribble guarded 3's, but they can hit them on a kick out when they have a little space.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT