ADVERTISEMENT

Three-star OLB decommits from Purdue

Now? The past 10 weeks haven’t convinced you otherwise?
Weren't you the one that was going after Allen for considering transferring out? You really hammered him if I recall correctly. He's not even on the depth chart at UL. You think he would have started at Purdue?

I’m a little surprised Walters has done as well as he has done. Typically elite recruits take a wait and see approach before committing to a first year head coach. I fully expect other recruits will decommit while others will sign. The strength of a coach is his ability to retain elite recruits when the product on the field is suspect and not performing to expectations!

Reactions: drewjin
Weren't you the one that was going after Allen for considering transferring out? You really hammered him if I recall correctly. He's not even on the depth chart at UL. You think he would have started at Purdue?
I was on him when he entered the portal before the bowl game for not sticking it out.

When he left after Walters told him he wasn’t going to play, I didn’t care much. He tried. The staff either didn’t want him or didn’t feel that he could play at this level.

I don’t see what this has to do with current cycle decommits tho…

I was on him when he entered the portal before the bowl game for not sticking it out.

When he left after Walters told him he wasn’t going to play, I didn’t care much. He tried. The staff either didn’t want him or didn’t feel that he could play at this level.

It has a small impact on recruiting receivers. Most elite receivers want to know the style of offense a college will employ and who will be the projected future QB. Many elite receivers would prefer a more drop back pro style of offense than an option oriented one. I would suspect several receiver targets decided to look elsewhere when Card was named the starter over Allen. If I was an elite receiver I’d want to play for a team. Where the QB is going to throw the ball 30+ times rather than run option plays. Regardless of what Card has done at Purdue, he came to Purdue with a reputation of being a dual option oriented QB. I have to believe that reputation may have turned some receivers away. If Allen had played in the bowl game, Purdue might not have recruited card. And Allen’s reputation as a big time passer may have attracted some elite receivers! Like I said, if I was an elite receiver I wouldn’t want to be part of an option oriented offense

Reactions: FiveWeight

It doesn't, it is just what I recalled. No prob.

I don't blame them. Ignore the win & loss column. The product is boring and non of the players are getting better. Kids want to be coached to have a chance to make it to the league.

I cant believe bobo got an extension. Such a blunder on his part.

I mean as a recruiter. Can he sell these kids that he knows what the hell he’s doing, all visual evidence to the contrary??
Can you sell others that you are a legitimate poster when all visual evidence is to the contrary New Fail??

At least some of the players have to be thinking there is an opportunity for early playing time.

But I also feel like we've been over-recruiting at the speed positions and not getting enough depth on the offensive line (which, to my mind, has been the case since Hope was coach).
Good players don’t worry about that. They will play. Purdue needs to do what Colorado did.

Reactions: pboiler18
Good players don’t worry about that. They will play. Purdue needs to do what Colorado did.

I didn't say whether those recruits are good players, just that many of them probably see a path to early playing time.

Honest question: What do you mean by what Colorado did? Hire Deion Sanders?

I didn't say whether those recruits are good players, just that many of them probably see a path to early playing time.

Honest question: What do you mean by what Colorado did? Hire Deion Sanders?
purge the roster

At least some of the players have to be thinking there is an opportunity for early playing time.

But I also feel like we've been over-recruiting at the speed positions and not getting enough depth on the offensive line (which, to my mind, has been the case since Hope was coach).

We have 4 commits on the OL and looking for more... how many should we take? It's not Walters fault that Brohm/Dale couldn't recruit Olineman nor keep them from getting football ending injuries.

I don't blame them. Ignore the win & loss column. The product is boring and non of the players are getting better. Kids want to be coached to have a chance to make it to the league.

I cant believe bobo got an extension. Such a blunder on his part.
Respectfully disagree that none of players are getting better. Jenkins has been great all year, but big jump from years past. Scourton has improved as the year has gone along. Kane looked really good against Michigan and is really an important player for us now. The defense really has some pretty good playmakers.

Now if you're just talking on the offensive side of the ball, then yeah...hard to disagree with you there.

Respectfully disagree that none of players are getting better. Jenkins has been great all year, but big jump from years past. Scourton has improved as the year has gone along. Kane looked really good against Michigan and is really an important player for us now. The defense really has some pretty good playmakers.

I would not be surprised if Mockobee along with a couple of receivers explored the portal. He will be a junior and the next 2 years do not look promising and if you look to the south there is a pretty good team that tried to get him earlier this year.

Now if you're just talking on the offensive side of the ball, then yeah...hard to disagree with you there.
I think Stevens has come on recently and Yanni has improved

I think Stevens has come on recently and Yanni has improved
Agreed. Brown also doesn't seem to be getting lost. Shame we lost Wilson because he looked really dialed in. I was curious to see him vs. Harrison.

By no means am I saying the defense is great, but I'm pretty happy with the progress.

Agreed. Brown also doesn't seem to be getting lost. Shame we lost Wilson because he looked really dialed in. I was curious to see him vs. Harrison.

By no means am I saying the defense is great, but I'm pretty happy with the progress.
Scheme still holds us back. We do a very poor job accounting for motion and shifts…very easy way for opponents to get favorable matchups on us. We still are poor at coverage deep down the field and our one high safety is only there to clean up busted coverages and not help.

Our LBs can’t and don’t cover and often times are either covering air or missing run assignments.

I think if we ran a basic defense with Scourton and Jenkins only focused on setting the edge and getting after QBs we’d be much much more successful. The more we have mixed coverage on the back end the better we’ve been on D. The issue like in the Michigan game is we don’t switch anything up until we’ve given up several scores.

I think the team is most talented on D, yet statistically we have the worst D in the conference by almost every metric. There’s clearly a disconnect and while individuals have gotten better our scheme is still easily exploited and doesn’t foster a team defense approach. It’s very heavily dictated on all 11 winning every matchup every time and it’s just not going to work for a program like Purdue.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler

And the defense is no longer completely married to m2m, mixed in zone pretty well against Michigan.

Still give up some big plays but they are playing pretty well. Just need the offense to do more than zero.

And the defense is no longer completely married to m2m, mixed in zone pretty well against Michigan.

Still give up some big plays but they are playing pretty well. Just need the offense to do more than zero.
We didn’t really deviate from the base defense until we were down 20-0

the big play that sticks out to me still is that long TD Neb got by a little wr for his 1st career TD. There was nobody within 15 yds of him and we have that one safety back there to specifically prevent this

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT