ADVERTISEMENT

This is why….

Bone, you can bash CMP all you want, he has it coming. But the offense wasn't the issue. Geezus, man we couldn't stop anybody. we scored 88 points. Offense wasn't the problem.

No we scored 76 in regulation. IMO that is sub par for a #1 team. Then again, we are obviously NOT a #1 team anymore. Lol.

But poor D, TOs and missed bunnies were the issue here. No question. More scared play. Purdue just played poorly on both sides. Choked.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Bone, you can bash CMP all you want, he has it coming. But the offense wasn't the issue. Geezus, man we couldn't stop anybody. we scored 88 points. Offense wasn't the problem
Really, how many turnovers did we have on defense. I guess CMP forgot that we were pretty good in a transition offense in Maui

The Key Stat is 3 TOS aka what Purdues defense forced in 45 minutes
I don’t get the Heide love tonight… didn’t really do much on offense and got torched on d. if CMP doesn’t start playing Colvin, we are looking at another early exit. This team needs the athletes on the floor that can put the ball in the basket to open thing up for Edey. Our defense is just bad no matter who is on the floor. Play the scorers

• Haha
Reactions: northside100
I don’t get the Heide love tonight… didn’t really do much on offense and got torched on d. if CMP doesn’t start playing Colvin, we are looking at another early exit. This team needs the athletes on the floor that can put the ball in the basket to open thing up for Edey. Our defense is just bad no matter who is on the floor. Play the scorers

Which Purdue guard, save Jones, did not get torched on D??

It was great to get Heide minutes. His play was not the problem.

Totally agree

Reactions: *4purdue*
Painters offensive philosophy won’t win in the tournament.
Trying to run everything through the low post.
He’s not going to change.
Bonefish you are soo full of it. I was curious what you thought after Painter defeated your idol Shaka in Maui. Northwestern shot lights out. Painter has the most dominant man in college basketball and you don't want them to run through the low post. The talent around Edey is what it is. I am sure Painter has tried to get better players. It's not like Purdue is Kansas or some of these other blue bloods. I truly would like to see Painter leave Purdue as it would be amusing watching the program fall into mediocrity. PURDUE's athletic program is never going to spend NIL money like these other schools nor pay the $$$ to hire a coach like Shaka.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Painters offensive philosophy won’t win in the tournament.
Trying to run everything through the low post.
He’s not going to change.
Well, you do have the best post player in the country and perhaps the best player in the history of PU. Perhaps he's going with the odds?

I love Colvin, but he was not the answer tonight. He wasn’t ready and Heide on Buie wasn’t fair to Heide, but a good lesson to grow and get better. Who else should have guarded Buie with Lance out? The defense is not bad haha. This game just happened to be high scoring.

Reactions: Boilerfanatic1981
Defense was horrendous. As much as Loyer can help on offense , he is such a liability on defense. Hummel kept saying Northwestern was seeking Loyer to abuse him. And Smith seems to lose his savvy and aggressiveness in the clutch . Shying away from scoring and man the stupid turnovers. I also agree that Colvin needs to play so he can progress, but won’t happen with Painter - he will regress and become afraid like the rest of the non Edey players

Colvin is not afraid of the big moment like most of our players are , especially naming Smith. But I do agree he has a ways to go defensively

Bonefish you are soo full of it. I was curious what you thought after Painter defeated your idol Shaka in Maui. Northwestern shot lights out. Painter has the most dominant man in college basketball and you don't want them to run through the low post. The talent around Edey is what it is. I am sure Painter has tried to get better players. It's not like Purdue is Kansas or some of these other blue bloods. I truly would like to see Painter leave Purdue as it would be amusing watching the program fall into mediocrity. PURDUE's athletic program is never going to spend NIL money like these other schools nor pay the $$$ to hire a coach like Shaka.
This year Purdue has pushed the ball on misses , but NW did a good job of getting back on D and so when the D is set Zach is a good look. Braden should have looked to score more as well. Now if you make the team miss a lot then you have more opportunities to push the ball. and if they don’t miss as much as you like you don’t get as many pushes as you like. It is unheard of to out rebound a team by 25 and lose. That just says the boards didn’t lead to as many points per board as the turnovers did which is fairly common

The manufactured last foul on Jones was pretty impactful. Buie gets a lot of calls, some deserved & some not, as one might expect with an elite player like that. If he falls down during or after shooting, good chance of a foul call whether there was contact or not.

And our missed short range shots hurt. Just one more down in regulation & we win.

And the turnover gap.

Purdue has almost never been mediocre in basketball. Not Keady. Not Rose. Purdue had a history before Painter and it will have a history after him. I'm not suggesting he be fired, I am saying he's not the savior of Purdue basketball such that apres Matt, c'est deluge.

Well, you do have the best post player in the country and perhaps the best player in the history of PU. Perhaps he's going with the odds?
The problem is it makes us very predictable. Clamp down on Edey, make the entry passes hard as possible and force someone else to make a shot or beat someone off the dribble.
It's the same formula.

I get making Edey option 1A but until there's a second player who can consistently get clutch points, that's a lot of pressure on one mode of attack.

Like others have pointed out, it came down to turnovers (again). Cut those in half, or just don't turn it over in OT and we most likely win.

I also agree that Colvin needs to play so he can progress, but won’t happen with Painter - he will regress and become afraid like the rest of the non Edey players
What a ridiculous statement. Colvin will get every opportunity but the impact of him not playing in high-level high school or AAU programs is obvious.

Tough to push a lot of minutes on him in a game like this because he’s just not ready but I do agree that Matt needs to force feed him some minutes in the coming months.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Playing through the post isn’t the problem. We have one of the most dominant post players in the last few decades. The problem is that when environments get tough, and teams ratchet up the pressure, that all we do is try to feed it to Edey and hope he does something. Everyone else is terrified to run our normal offense or look to score themselves. We start to play extremely tight and that’s when we start missing shots and turning it over, because you can leave literally everyone else and just crash on Edey. I like our guards, but if they had half the confidence and mental toughness that Buie has, this game would have been completely different.

No need for Joes to take 7 threes unless he’s on a heater. Work the ball around.
No need for 7 I’d say, but he needed to take the ones that were wide open down the stretch tho. Just didn’t hit those. I’d like to see him take it to the hole a little more when his shot isn’t falling. He had a great take toward the end of regulation.

Reactions: Poprudy
This year Purdue has pushed the ball on misses , but NW did a good job of getting back on D and so when the D is set Zach is a good look. Braden should have looked to score more as well. Now if you make the team miss a lot then you have more opportunities to push the ball. and if they don’t miss as much as you like you don’t get as many pushes as you like. It is unheard of to out rebound a team by 25 and lose. That just says the boards didn’t lead to as many points per board as the turnovers did which is fairly common
Agree on Braden. He was 3/9 in the first half so maybe that dropped his confidence a bit. Robbie said on the broadcast he was shooting 62% off the PnR, which put him in the 97th percentile in the country. I felt at times he got too cute and didn’t make the easy pass, rather tried making an amazing pass. He was flirting with another triple double but those 6 TOs hurt bad. Hope he can clean it up and stop jump passing all the time…when is he going to stop that?? I was actually glad to see it come to bite him in crunch time when they called a charge on him for doing so. He doesn’t need to do it and I wish he’d stop. But on to Iowa and let’s see how we respond as a team going forward.

I think Raphael just said it best in that there were times Braden needed to look to score a bit more
Agree. If he's going to utilize what Zach gives him with the pick or hand-off. He needs to think about scoring with the drive or pop. There was a few moments last night where Braden utilized this very well. It's when he tends to get to low under the basket then jumps to make a bad decision. This year he has to stay away from those bad decisions for us to be great. We'll need him to be heady.

Reactions: tjreese
No need for 7 I’d say, but he needed to take the ones that were wide open down the stretch tho. Just didn’t hit those. I’d like to see him take it to the hole a little more when his shot isn’t falling. He had a great take toward the end of regulation.
He's the one guard that can take his man to the rack because he's quick, athletic and strong. Pulling up negates your advantage over your opponent when you have these features. This is exactly why we tend to get bullied at the guard position. Ivey had zero clue he could benefit from being this way vs. Raising up for a 3 or a sloppy drive that equated into a TO.

You’re new around here, aren’t you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT