ADVERTISEMENT

They did it! IU is off-season national champs for the 20th straight year!

No, they still don't have shooters nor an offense designed to get open 3 point shots
Lolol I know. Cracking the top 200 would require them (compared to this last year) to make 2 more 3s and attempt 5 more…but that offense is not designed for that

Reactions: z_one and pboiler18
While we're at it, let's talk about this championship.

😂 😂 We all know you’d trade that in a heartbeat to have the success of the last two decades Purdue has had in men’s bball. Or any history of Purdue football in the last 30 years.

Reactions: z_one and Schnelk
I saw IU has signed 3 players via the portal. I saw they supposedly received a bunch of money. It’s odd, I don’t recall any of the three players being very good last year. Am I missing something?

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Reactions: Schnelk
I saw IU has signed 3 players via the portal. I saw they supposedly received a bunch of money. It’s odd, I don’t recall any of the three players being very good last year. Am I missing something?

They must not have been used effectively. Woodson can fix that ;)

Reactions: Boiler Buck

I don’t remember seeing this on the news at all. They were probably too busy covering Purdue’s Final Four run.

Two of the three players were first team app pac-10 and the third averaged 12.5 ppg in pac play as a freshman. They were all very good last year and will start. But they don’t seem to fit their needs, just flashy names and not sure they are much better than with were, Xavier, and gunn who were effectively replaced (or even Galloway and cupps who are on the team but just recruited over). Not like paint going to get Lance jones.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
So in the governors cup track and field and cross country combine for up to 6 points and football has 1 point? Mkay…. It’s like the Olympics having 1 medal event in basketball and 20 in swimming.
They knew they couldn't beat us consistently in the top sports so lumped in other things. It's comical really but then again, so is iu as a whole.

Two of the three players were first team app pac-10 and the third averaged 12.5 ppg in pac play as a freshman. They were all very good last year and will start. But they don’t seem to fit their needs, just flashy names and not sure they are much better than with were, Xavier, and gunn who were effectively replaced (or even Galloway and cupps who are on the team but just recruited over). Not like paint going to get Lance jones.

What is it about the Pac 10 that 2 first teamers left their teams? I haven't paid attention to this ....Did other main conferences like the B10 have first teamers leave?

I know in the past the B10 had a 2nd teamer leave.

First teamers leaving! Would be comparable to a guy like first teamer Braden Smith leaving Purdue. Dangerous trend.

What is it about the Pac 10 that 2 first teamers left their teams? I haven't paid attention to this ....Did other main conferences like the B10 have first teamers leave?

First teamers leaving! Would be comparable to a guy like first teamer Braden Smith leaving Purdue. Dangerous trend.
Stanford coach was fired and WASU coach took that job…Rice did not follow. Carlyle probably didn’t want to play for a new coach and Ballo….well he was just looking for the most money since it’s his 5th year and if he was any good, he would have gone to the nba already (this is at least Purdue fans were told about edey when he stayed for 4 years at Purdue).

Reactions: Schnelk

Stanford coach was fired and WASU coach took that job…Rice did not follow. Carlyle probably didn’t want to play for a new coach and Ballo….well he was just looking for the most money since it’s his 5th year and if he was any good, he would have gone to the nba already (this is at least Purdue fans were told about edey when he stayed for 4 years at Purdue).

And to add to DwaynePurvis' post. Wash St is no longer in a power conference as they will be in the Mountain West starting in the 2024 academic year.

Also the PAC12 chooses 10 players for 1st team and 5 for 2nd team. So 5 of the 10 "1st team all conference" players are really 2nd team and the 2nd team is really 3rd.

And to top it off, the PAC12 was the worst of the "power" conferences with 6 teams worse than Samford per KenPom.

To be honest the pac has 10 first teamers and only 12 teams this year so I would think the Pg from wazzou would have been equivalent to third team in big ten and ballo might have been second team in big ten as I don’t think he’s as good as domask or shannon and I’m old school I feel like there should only be one center on first team. Big ten did have second team center leave last year (Dickinson) and storr was second team this year who is leaving so I think it is ok. The guy from Stanford had their coach fired, wazzou won’t have a conference anymore, and ballo knows he needs to cash in now as he is not nba type player and is chasing the money. I think it’s flukey they are all in PAC.

For S&G I compared all conferences for PAC vs B1G

All american
B1G
1 - Edey
3 - Shannon
H - Booie
H - Smith
Basically B1G 1st team except Domask

PAC
3 - Caleb Love
H - Keion Brooks

it’s hard to tell who is 3-10 in pac since I can’t find the ballots. Probably KJ Simpson Jaylon Tyson, and Brandon Carlson would be true first teamers? Domask probably slides in behind Tyson.

I don’t think ballo or rice would even beat out the big ten second team of Perkins, young, Walker, Tominaga, or storr. In fact I know what 247 says about ballo but the athletic and cbs both have him not only behind storr but also omoruyi who was honorable mention all big ten. Ballo might have been the 4th best B1G true center this year behind Edey, Ware, and Ompruyi. If you count Hawkins I’d put him behind him too and just slightly ahead of Garcia who was the other big indiana was courting.

For S&G I compared all conferences for PAC vs B1G

All american
B1G
1 - Edey
3 - Shannon
H - Booie
H - Smith
Basically B1G 1st team except Domask

PAC
3 - Caleb Love
H - Keion Brooks

it’s hard to tell who is 3-10 in pac since I can’t find the ballots. Probably KJ Simpson Jaylon Tyson, and Brandon Carlson would be true first teamers? Domask probably slides in behind Tyson.

I don’t think ballo or rice would even beat out the big ten second team of Perkins, young, Walker, Tominaga, or storr. In fact I know what 247 says about ballo but the athletic and cbs both have him not only behind storr but also omoruyi who was honorable mention all big ten. Ballo might have been the 4th best B1G true center this year behind Edey, Ware, and Ompruyi. If you count Hawkins I’d put him behind him too and just slightly ahead of Garcia who was the other big indiana was courting.

Nice work. Ballo is a downgrade of Ware, not only as a player but in skill-set. Ware had some face-up game and could hit a jumper and was an elite rim protector. Ballo is solid at rim protection and a good rebounder, but has almost no offensive capabilities whatsoever.

Also, check out Myles Rice O-rating per Bart Torvik against top50 teams, it's 91... for reference that is worse than Xavier Johnson's season last year.

Kanaan Carlyle was even worse, 91 O-rating for the season, 81 against top50 teams (basically Ethan Morton level bad offensively). Was rated as the 5th best player on a bad Stanford team.

Both guys can get better, obviously. But Rice is the same age as Caleb Furst, is he going to have a jump going into his "sophomore" year? Carlyle is changing teams and now playing in a much better conference.

Their 5* guard was going to the G league to not go to school, how is that going to work out for them?

Lots of questions for a team with a coach who hasn't shown much ability to get guys to play hard or gel as a unit, let alone have any sort of identity on offense or defense.

And to add to DwaynePurvis' post. Wash St is no longer in a power conference as they will be in the Mountain West starting in the 2024 academic year.

Also the PAC12 chooses 10 players for 1st team and 5 for 2nd team. So 5 of the 10 "1st team all conference" players are really 2nd team and the 2nd team is really 3rd.

And to top it off, the PAC12 was the worst of the "power" conferences with 6 teams worse than Samford per KenPom.
Hilarious that P12 names 10 '1st team' players. Truly the conference of champions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT