ADVERTISEMENT

The most enjoyable football win in your life?

Difficult choices:
1) Brees to Morales win over tO$U ‘99. Set up Rose Bowl.
2) TIE - Purdue vs K State. Great finish and winning Alamo Bowl. Pounding tO$U with Brohm and Moore was a stunner. I couldn’t believe what I was witnessing, and I was overjoyed to say the least.

Those are my memorable games. I’m positive some will see the Mike Phipps era over ND as great, but I was too young to remember!

Difficult choices:
2) TIE - Purdue vs K State. Great finish and winning Alamo Bowl. Pounding tO$U with Brohm and Moore was a stunner. I couldn’t believe what I was witnessing, and I was overjoyed to say the least.

Those are my memorable games. I’m positive some will see the Mike Phipps era over ND as great, but I was too young to remember!
I loved both of those games. I would add beating ND in South Bend in 2004.

I suspect some may say Purdue's demolishment of OSU in 2018.

So, how about it?
1978 beating OSU at home 27-16 Mark Herman,Young,Burrell and Jim Young coach.I watched fat Jack walk off the field when he ran out of time outs and couldn`t stop the game clock.

Reactions: Frankie611
Satisfying? For me the game that qualifies was the 1980 Liberty Bowl in Memphis. Herrmann was brilliant in garnering his third straight Bowl win and MVP. (I wonder how many other FB players can make that claim.) Missouri, led by future long-time pros Ron Fellows (Cowboys) and Phil Bradley (MLB Mariners and White Sox) made it awfully close. A large contingent of Boiler fans were in the end zone cheering when the game had been decided, and when Mark looked up there, I swear there were tears in his eyes. His last college game.

I remember their qb Cornelious Greene getting whacked in that game and the ball just shot up and we got a fumble recovery.

Not to nitpick, PA, but Greene was gone by then. Schlichter was their freshman starter that year; Rod Gerald (Cornelius Greene-lite) was back-up and previous year's starter. (I only recall these things, because I had an obnoxious OSU friend in those days! Better to be OSU-obnoxious than ND-obnoxious, I suppose.)

Reactions: pb1941

So, how about it?
In recent years, I would say the O$U win.

In my lifetime I would rank beating ND in Tiller's first year, Number 15 leaping for the two point conversion in another win over ND, and the dismantling of the KSU Wildcats in the Alamo Bowl.

Biggest two heartbreakers Orton's fumble, and failing to score for the win against Penn State in Drew's Jr year. (or was that Sr?)

Any win over ND, OSU, Meatchicken.:) The 2018 win over OSU was certainly one of the most exciting ever along with a beat down of OSU in the mid 60s with Leroy and company. Another great win was the game with Stanford and Phipps and Plunket the QBs. Boilers win 36-35! And of course Griese going wild against ND, was it 1966 or 67?

Any win over ND, OSU, Meatchicken.:) The 2018 win over OSU was certainly one of the most exciting ever along with a beat down of OSU in the mid 60s with Leroy and company. Another great win was the game with Stanford and Phipps and Plunket the QBs. Boilers win 36-35! And of course Griese going wild against ND, was it 1966 or 67?
1965.Rapid Robert completed 19 out of 22 throws against the number one Rocknes for 283 yards and three tds.Those numbers would be good nowdays.Then they were almost unbelievable.

Reactions: rwenger
My most enjoyable football game when I was a Miami Dolphins fan when Bob Griese was quarterback. That extremely long playoff game on Christmas when the Dolphins had a perfect season. We were at my ex-wife's sister's house with her husband eating pheasant. Great game and a great dinner!!!!

Reactions: rwenger
My most enjoyable football game when I was a Miami Dolphins fan when Bob Griese was quarterback. That extremely long playoff game on Christmas when the Dolphins had a perfect season. We were at my ex-wife's sister's house with her husband eating pheasant. Great game and a great dinner!!!!
I think you are referring to the legendary overtime win by the Dolphins over Kansas City,coached by Hank Stram and quarterbacked by Len Dawson on Christmas Day,1971.The Dolphins perfect season was the next year.

I think you are referring to the legendary overtime win by the Dolphins over Kansas City,coached by Hank Stram and quarterbacked by Len Dawson on Christmas Day,1971.The Dolphins perfect season was the next year.

I'm sure that you are right. My memory isn't quite what it used to be after almost 50 years.

Not to nitpick, PA, but Greene was gone by then. Schlichter was their freshman starter that year; Rod Gerald (Cornelius Greene-lite) was back-up and previous year's starter. (I only recall these things, because I had an obnoxious OSU friend in those days! Better to be OSU-obnoxious than ND-obnoxious, I suppose.)
it was definitely Rod Gerald then.

Difficult choices:

I would add November 6, 1976 Purdue beats number one Michigan 16-14 finish the season at 5-6. The era of the Spoilermakers!

1. OSU 2000
2. ND 2004 (ended 1 generation of losses in SB)
3. Michigan 2000
4. ND 1997 (ended 1/2 generation of straight Ls)
5. UM 2009 (ended 2 generations of losses in AA)
5. Kansas State 1998...biggest bowl win since RB in 1967.
6. OSU 2018...Tyler Trent beatdown game.

1. OSU 2000
2. ND 2004 (ended 1 generation of losses in SB)
3. Michigan 2000
4. ND 1997 (ended 1/2 generation of straight Ls)
5. UM 2009 (ended 2 generations of losses in AA)
5. Kansas State 1998...biggest bowl win since RB in 1967.
6. OSU 2018...Tyler Trent beatdown game.
Good ranking order. Really cannot go wrong with any of those.:)

A lot of good ones mentioned, but I'll add:
  • Michigan State 1997 -- game was basically over, and MSU goes for a field goal up 11 with 2 minutes left (Nick Saban was head coach). Colvin blocks the kick and scores a TD. Then we get an onside kick (I think) and score a TD with little time left to win. Drew Brees actually played a series I believe (and did poorly).
  • San Diego Chargers vs. Miami Dolphins 1982 -- Kellen Winslow game (I'm was a Chargers fan before the move to LA)

Reactions: Purdue85
SKYDOG, were you at that game too? I was 10 at the time. Believe UM was #1 ranked and undefeated, correct? UM had all kind of trouble hearing signals heading toward north endzone. And Rock Supan being named player of the week by SI having intercepted a pass or 2 and kicking 2 fg, too. Good stuff.

Reactions: SKYDOG
So many games come to mind, so I will limit it to ones in which I was in attendance.
1. Purdue over Michigan 1976
2. Purdue over Tennessee 1979/80 Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl.
3. Purdue over Notre Dame 1997
4. Purdue over Michigan 2000
5. Purdue over Penn State 2004
6. Purdue over Ohio State 2011
7. Purdue over Ohio State 2018

Beating Kansas State was huge because it was such a validation of the program.

Brees to Morales is up there, though.

SKYDOG, were you at that game too? I was 10 at the time. Believe UM was #1 ranked and undefeated, correct? UM had all kind of trouble hearing signals heading toward north endzone. And Rock Supan being named player of the week by SI having intercepted a pass or 2 and kicking 2 fg, too. Good stuff.
I missed like 3 games from 1973-2005. That game was one of my favorites as I couldn’t stand Michigan and Schembechler.

Reactions: rwenger and 4IUSox2
I segment mine into whether I was in attendance or not.
In attendance:
Brees to Morales - enough said.
Alamo Bowl when Purdue beat K State.
Purdue throttling ND in South Bend with Orton looking like a heisman contender.
Not in attendance:
OSU two years ago (Had to attend a wedding).

Reactions: Mobes
I segment mine into whether I was in attendance or not.
In attendance:
Brees to Morales - enough said.
Alamo Bowl when Purdue beat K State.
Purdue throttling ND in South Bend with Orton looking like a heisman contender.
Not in attendance:
OSU two years ago (Had to attend a wedding).
You must have really liked those people to miss that game.

I said this when it happened and I don't think I will ever change my mind, but I wanted the 2018 Ohio State game so badly for Tyler Trent that I can't imagine any game being more satisfying even if it were a national championship.

I'm a Yankees fan in my 40s. I've been fortunate to have seen the Yankees win 5 world series. Wanna know what my favorite World Series was? The one they lost to Arizona in 2001. The outside emotion of that Series was beyond incredible with the backdrop of 9-11 and New York City. From the President throwing a perfect strike to open Game 3 in New York, to 9th-inning rallies and extra-inning walk-offs in games 4 and 5, and even the Diamondback rally off Rivera in Game 7. My point is that it wasn't the win or loss of that Series that made it so great because my team lost it. But the moments and the emotions of it were so memorable that there's no way that sweeping the Padres to win it all could begin to compare.

That's similar to how I feel about the Tyler Trent game. We may win bigger games or even a championship sometime but I don't think it could make me feel like that game felt. I'd love to put that theory to the test sometime but the closest I can compare is the Brees-Morales game that was a huge step to winning the Big Ten and going to the Rose Bowl. To me, it still paled in comparison to the Tyler Trent game.

Last edited:

So, how about it?
Thought about this for an additional answer: "The next win Purdue in RA post COVID-19". I applaud Mitch Daniels for the "can do attitude". In moments of uncertainty, it is refreshing to hear that Purdue will move forward. It is ok to live vs hide in shelter.

Last edited:

So, how about it?
October 2, 2004. Absolute beat down of the Irish 41-16 at Note Dame. The greatest feeling I ever had walking out of a stadium as all the Purdue fans owned the place chanting incredibly loud in unison as we all walked down the ramps. I swear I don’t remember my feet hitting the ground and you couldn’t smack the smile off my face the rest of the night. Boilers woke up the echos! And a pretty epic kboiler video that went went viral came out of that day.

Reactions: pb1941 and NVboiler
You must have really liked those people to miss that game.
I do. We are friends with bride's family. The entire side of her family is from Ohio and are huge osu fans. I watched the game on my phone during the reception...the bride's family was sitting at an adjacent table watching the game as well. It was funny to see their sad faces on what should've been a joyous occasion. By chance my family ended up sitting at the same table with another Purdue family so we were whooping it up pretty good.

Last edited:
Purdue 28
Notre Dame 17
September 1997

Ended ND's 11-year winning streak vs Purdue and got the Joe Tiller party started. And to think, Purdue lost at Toledo the previous week.

You nailed it. It was so unexpected coming off of the JC years, AND Tiller losing his first game to Toledo. Also helps that I had great seats :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT