ADVERTISEMENT

The Layden Conundrum

BoilerPride08

Senior
May 18, 2006
Going into the season, I think a key to our success is how impactful Madison will be for us. As an experienced senior - it’s no secret she has been hobbled athletically lately playing primarily on the perimeter. Leading to flat shots and lazy passing at times.

At 6’1, she has always had very nice height at the guard position - using it as a great tool to overcome maybe some athleticism that she lacks. Also - on the roster she has been listed as a Guard her first three years with the program. I was just looking at the roster on the Purduesports website and interestingly enough - she is now listed as a forward.

This begs the question - will we see Layden in the post more as a sort of point-forward type (think Robbie Hummel) of role and less on the perimeter? We have plenty of perimeter options and if her shot isn’t falling - I think we could use her height and veteran frame to help down low to guard some mobile post players.

Now maybe it was a mixup and she’s still going to be primarily on the perimeter but it was an interesting observation that made me say “hmmm”. I also think - now that KG has mostly “her” players in the system - we will see a different style of play than we have the last 2 years.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think Madison has always been kind of a guard/forward combo. I'm guessing Madison will still be one of the primary ballhandlers when she is in the game. I really hope she gets back to playing like she did in her first two years. Last year, for whatever the reason or reasons, she just wasn't the player that I've watched since she was in high school. One thing I know for sure. She will do her best to play any role that Coach Gearlds asks her to play.

For this team to reach its full potential, they'll need Madison playing like she is capable.

I would guess that since CKG didn't bring in a tall post and all the post players on the roster can shoot threes I think that is a possibility. I also think she will have a shorter leash when it comes to effort. Last year CKG had to play her. This year she has more options.

I agree though if Madison plays to the potential she had this team could go to big places.

I would guess that since CKG didn't bring in a tall post and all the post players on the roster can shoot threes I think that is a possibility. I also think she will have a shorter leash when it comes to effort. Last year CKG had to play her. This year she has more options.

I agree though if Madison plays to the potential she had this team could go to big places.
What’s max for this team? 4th in Big Ten round of 32? That in my opinion would be a successful year, thoughts?

Reactions: BoilerRingside
What’s max for this team? 4th in Big Ten round of 32? That in my opinion would be a successful year, thoughts?
I think 5th in the BT is the ceiling for this upcoming season, and that seems unlikely to me. OSU, IU, and Michigan will be pretty much as good next year as this last year, and Iowa may slip some without their center, but I think they won't be any worse than 4th. That leaves us moving past Maryland, and Illinois to move up to 5th, which seems highly unlikely for a team relying on freshmen that to date Gealrds has not seemed able to get much out of in the previous couple of years. Additionally new coaches at MSU and UMinn could make big moves up the ladder and I don't think UILL is done climbing the ladder either.

The BT schedule will matter a lot as well, we lucked into a very soft BT schedule last year, if we get a really hard one, we could be a better team and finish same or worse in conference. We are a donut team, looking good on the outside but not much in the middle. If Groot is not ready day one, we have some very real depth problems in the post. I don't think Layden has the build or the mindset to play on the blocks and another position move probably means another year of her looking lost and hesitant on the floor IF that was the issue last year. IF it was being physically damaged from playing over a month the end of Gearlds first year badly hurt, she may never be the player she was pre injury. So that is a wild card... How will Reynolds blend with the team is a wild card..... the play of the frosh and how the ones left on the bench react is a wild card... so to state we will be better or worse than last year is either hope or fear talking.... there is too much unknown to really predict either way.

The game against UCLA will tell us a lot about where we stack up the top 25 teams, and I don't think it will be very competitive but hope I am wrong. I suspect the 5 main returners start at least at first, Harper, Layden, Smith, Ellis, and Terry. Reynolds could bump one of Layden or Smith to the bench, but I suspect that won't happen first game. We need Jones and Groot ready to go by game one, and the rest of the frosh plus younger Harper will hopefully get developmental minutes as the games go on. Any foul trouble, injuries, or not being ready to play for any reason for Groot or Harper could be a big step back from the previous two years as there is little in the way of other options in the post IMHO.

I think 5th in the BT is the ceiling for this upcoming season, and that seems unlikely to me. OSU, IU, and Michigan will be pretty much as good next year as this last year, and Iowa may slip some without their center, but I think they won't be any worse than 4th. That leaves us moving past Maryland, and Illinois to move up to 5th, which seems highly unlikely for a team relying on freshmen that to date Gealrds has not seemed able to get much out of in the previous couple of years. Additionally new coaches at MSU and UMinn could make big moves up the ladder and I don't think UILL is done climbing the ladder either.

The BT schedule will matter a lot as well, we lucked into a very soft BT schedule last year, if we get a really hard one, we could be a better team and finish same or worse in conference. We are a donut team, looking good on the outside but not much in the middle. If Groot is not ready day one, we have some very real depth problems in the post. I don't think Layden has the build or the mindset to play on the blocks and another position move probably means another year of her looking lost and hesitant on the floor IF that was the issue last year. IF it was being physically damaged from playing over a month the end of Gearlds first year badly hurt, she may never be the player she was pre injury. So that is a wild card... How will Reynolds blend with the team is a wild card..... the play of the frosh and how the ones left on the bench react is a wild card... so to state we will be better or worse than last year is either hope or fear talking.... there is too much unknown to really predict either way.

The game against UCLA will tell us a lot about where we stack up the top 25 teams, and I don't think it will be very competitive but hope I am wrong. I suspect the 5 main returners start at least at first, Harper, Layden, Smith, Ellis, and Terry. Reynolds could bump one of Layden or Smith to the bench, but I suspect that won't happen first game. We need Jones and Groot ready to go by game one, and the rest of the frosh plus younger Harper will hopefully get developmental minutes as the games go on. Any foul trouble, injuries, or not being ready to play for any reason for Groot or Harper could be a big step back from the previous two years as there is little in the way of other options in the post IMHO.
Guessing Iowa is the preseason favorite, think they got a good transfer, maybe I’m wrong.

Reactions: DocRon
Id argue the freshmen CKG had the first two years weren't great not options. I'm hopeful her first true freshman class will show results.

Jones and Stevenson have to be solid on day one. My hope is 6th in the B10 and not sweating it out on selection Sunday. 20 wins would be a great accomplishment. All that said. Id be okay with a less than stellar season to get the young players experience.

One other thought about Layden being listed as a forward now. Learn used to be listed as a guard much of the time when she was here, so I don't think that tells us anything about plans or where she might play.

One other thought about Layden being listed as a forward now. Learn used to be listed as a guard much of the time when she was here, so I don't think that tells us anything about plans or where she might play.

Learn was listed as a Guard/Forward on the website roster both of her years here. Obviously we needed her to help out inside much more than on the perimeter thus that’s where she played.

For myself I will not put too much stock in the first game. Traveling to the West Coast to play a very good UCLA team with our lineup still being, in all likelihood, in flux is a hard way to start out. I am glad the game is not yet a league game.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
For myself I will not put too much stock in the first game. Traveling to the West Coast to play a very good UCLA team with our lineup still being, in all likelihood, in flux is a hard way to start out. I am glad the game is not yet a league game.
Its UCLA's first game as well with new players and new starters, but you can already start making excuses if you want to. One of the big knocks on Versyp is it took her two months longer than other coaches to get her teams ready to start the season, part of why she scheduled so very soft in the OOC part of the schedule.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
I know I'm in the minority on this but I'm very optimistic that they can go out there and win. While I agree that a loss does not necessarily say or mean anything about how the season will play out. A win would be huge for their confidence and could be a springboard for a great season.

I'm optimistic that this team can be in the race for a Big Ten championship. I think a lot hinges on how fast the newcomers get up to speed. It will be fun to watch this group of young ladies compete.

Reactions: DocRon
I know I'm in the minority on this but I'm very optimistic that they can go out there and win. While I agree that a loss does not necessarily say or mean anything about how the season will play out. A win would be huge for their confidence and could be a springboard for a great season.

I'm optimistic that this team can be in the race for a Big Ten championship. I think a lot hinges on how fast the newcomers get up to speed. It will be fun to watch this group of young ladies compete.
Well I am a little less optimistic than you, Russ, but I hope you are correct and I am wrong.

Reactions: Russ Ford
The thing is - the big ten is going to be stacked once again this year. IU, Iowa lose little - but Iowa has a gaping hole in the post and didn’t get anyone at all to help fill it in the portal. But clark is going to single-handedly will them victory. IU lost Berger but returns everyone else, including that super impressive freshmen who should take her spot and production. Ohio State loses little made GREAT portal additions. Those are my top 3 contenders. Next level is MD, Illinois and Michigan. This is level where I think we can get to. And we are play all 3 only once. I think we can compete and beat all 3. So anywhere from 4-6 place is this teams ceiling.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
The thing is - the big ten is going to be stacked once again this year. IU, Iowa lose little - but Iowa has a gaping hole in the post and didn’t get anyone at all to help fill it in the portal. But clark is going to single-handedly will them victory. IU lost Berger but returns everyone else, including that super impressive freshmen who should take her spot and production. Ohio State loses little made GREAT portal additions. Those are my top 3 contenders. Next level is MD, Illinois and Michigan. This is level where I think we can get to. And we are play all 3 only once. I think we can compete and beat all 3. So anywhere from 4-6 place is this teams ceiling.
Other than I put Michigan in that first tier, we are really close in our thoughts here. And lucking into probably the easiest BT schedule again this year really helps us. Only 7 games against the top 6 returning teams is a huge boost for our potential. I'd expect we will be 5-8, most likely 6-7 but 5 or 8 possible depending on how things float.

Last edited:
Other than I put Michigan in that first tier, we are really close in our thoughts here. And lucking into probably the easiest BT schedule again this year really helps us. Only 7 games against the top 6 returning teams is a huge boost for our potential. I'd expect we will be 5-8, most likely 6-7 but 5 or 8 possible depending on how things float.

It’s going to be difficult for Michigan to immediately replace the production of Brown, Kiser, and Nolan gave them. Maybe they will but I would say right now they will be a good team but I’m expecting them to take a small step back from last year.

Going into the season, I think a key to our success is how impactful Madison will be for us. As an experienced senior - it’s no secret she has been hobbled athletically lately playing primarily on the perimeter. Leading to flat shots and lazy passing at times.

At 6’1, she has always had very nice height at the guard position - using it as a great tool to overcome maybe some athleticism that she lacks. Also - on the roster she has been listed as a Guard her first three years with the program. I was just looking at the roster on the Purduesports website and interestingly enough - she is now listed as a forward.

This begs the question - will we see Layden in the post more as a sort of point-forward type (think Robbie Hummel) of role and less on the perimeter? We have plenty of perimeter options and if her shot isn’t falling - I think we could use her height and veteran frame to help down low to guard some mobile post players.

Now maybe it was a mixup and she’s still going to be primarily on the perimeter but it was an interesting observation that made me say “hmmm”. I also think - now that KG has mostly “her” players in the system - we will see a different style of play than we have the last 2 years.

Thoughts?
Any idea where Janae Terry has been? Haven’t seen her in any workouts that have been on social media. Is she returning?

That’s good. I like her game. She’s willing to do whatever is needed. Facilitates

Thoughts?
I think the obvious reason is that she is no longer physically fit to be a guard and likely lost that position? She can’t compete in the guard position against these younger, quicker guards. Not sure she even wants to. She was fine at the guard spot when Hardin was the competition. KK demands quickness. Forward position will be interesting because she won’t be able to just stand on the 3pt line waiting for a pass. She will actually have to move, set screens and run the length of the floor and not just from 3pt line to 3pt line. On a more celebratory note: it appears she did just complete an entire off season workout. Her very first one since she came to Purdue 3 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT