ADVERTISEMENT

The Fighting Peters getting boat raced.

I was the same way. What is unbelievable is we beat 2 F4 teams last year but the big question is were we that better at the beginning of season and regressed late in the season or did Nova and NC improve that much?
For the guy that predicted a national championship, one would think you'd have known the answer to that question.

Thanks for that, but I was hoping you'd say something else.
Trust me, I would have loved to, as, I flat love watching that kid play and how he plays.

I love his game...I love the attitude...I love the passion...I love the understanding of the game. He is awesome in all of those areas/regards, but, after just watching the tournament...just no way to ignore the physical limitations. Again, in the conference...they won't stand out, and, if you surround him with guys that can help hide the deficiencies, they will stand out even less, but, get in a game against a Baylor or Houston or Arkansas or Texas Tech...even a Saint Peter's with physicality with which their guards played...don't see how you can hide it, more so in that those teams will try to exploit it.

I was the same way. What is unbelievable is we beat 2 F4 teams last year but the big question is were we that better at the beginning of season and regressed late in the season or did Nova and NC improve that much?
Both. I think those teams improved and Purdue didn’t. Painters big changes were Morton getting more PT which helped, IT and SS continuing to get a lot of PT which hurt, Hunter starting helped and taking Newman and Furst out of the rotation, hurt.

Both. I think those teams improved and Purdue didn’t. Painters big changes were Morton getting more PT which helped, IT and SS continuing to get a lot of PT which hurt, Hunter starting helped and taking Newman and Furst out of the rotation, hurt.
Think Purdue’s regression had more to do with them being a mostly finished product at the start of the season. Almost completely intact from the season prior. They hit the ground running while other teams were still figuring out how to play together.

I'm tired of Painter playing "experience" over talent. When was the last time that worked out for us?

Think Purdue’s regression had more to do with them being a mostly finished product at the start of the season. Almost completely intact from the season prior. They hit the ground running while other teams were still figuring out how to play together.
No, it had a lot to do with not giving enough time to talent (Furst, Morton, Newman) for them to get developed thru the season. Instead we played 2 guys with low ceilings (Sasha and IT) because they "practiced" well.

The real problem is very clear with the final 4 teams. UNC, Duke, Kansas. The best players money can buy. Nova is the one exception, which is just a great coach that has his best player happening to come back as a super senior. Do I want Purdue paying players? No. I don't see much changing in the future where Painter stays and Purdue racks up many S16, and maybe one or 2 F4 by the time he retires. Really need a team peaking at the right time with Purdue recruits and we actually had that with carsen and cline. The only reason the F4 didn't happen then was a one in a million shot/play by virgina to save the game. Very difficult to get much better without selling you soul, or just like the rest, you have to get lucky, which Purdue just hasn't had in 40 years.
If you can play players and not get in trouble for it, might as well.

Reactions: DAG10 and BSIT
I think it all went to poop after Underwood's comments. Ivey tried to do it all on offense, but didn't elevate his defense and showed poor BB IQ.
You guys realize that without Ivey, we’re not a tournament team. He was the best Purdue player since GRob and was forced to carry this team offensively which meant he had to take a lot of chances because the supporting cast was so bad offensively.

Reactions: Poprudy
Not really...Smith is a great HS player, and, just a great basketball player for that matter...but, he has some physical limitations that just can't be overcome...watching this year's tournament...he would have no chance against the Houston's or Arkansa's or Texas Tech's, and, he would have struggled just as much as our guards did against Saint Peter's likely even for that matter.

He is a better all-around guard for sure, but, I worry now about the physical limitations...he will be fine in the B1G in general just because of the style of play and lack generally of premier guards, but, against some of the teams like we just saw make runs or the true best teams in the country...he will likely struggle.
Which has been my point since Painter offered him.

Peacocks getting plucked right now. This is the team Kentucky and Boilers thought they were going to play and didn’t know what to do when they weren’t. Could be for the underdog today but already tired of the media hyped little school that has way over achieved. Also don’t care for the activist warmup hoodies … ruins sports for me.
Same here. The BLM crap makes me dislike them even more

No-win situation as a Purdue fan...Saint Peter's wins, and, just more annoying that Purdue choked and would have in turn likely beat UNC again...UNC smokes them, and, just as frustrating that Purdue choked against them and somehow found a way to lose.
I think UNC beats us by double digits. They just have more talent. A lot more.

there's an article on the internet by a coach whose team played both St peters and UNC. he said in order to be candid, he wanted to remain anonymous. he said his team beat UNC earlier in the year, but was amazed at how well that team has developed on defense since their earlier match. While the coach would not reveal his name, you knew it was painter. Just like you knew purdue was looking ahead and preparing for UNC rather than st peters. I highly doubt purdue would have been able to beat UNC a second time. This team got lucky early in the season, and never got any better than the y were at the start of the year. other teams like Duke and UNC and Vilanova identified their weaknesses, and adapted and mproved.

• Wow
Reactions: bonefish1 and BSIT
You guys realize that without Ivey, we’re not a tournament team. He was the best Purdue player since GRob and was forced to carry this team offensively which meant he had to take a lot of chances because the supporting cast was so bad offensively.
He may very well someday, but not currently better than Carson Edwards as a college player. His ceiling is probably higher. But, in the NCAAs? Carson was better.

Reactions: BSIT
I think it all went to poop after Underwood's comments. Ivey tried to do it all on offense, but didn't elevate his defense and showed poor BB IQ.
This isn't a serious comment, is it? You're joking, right?

There is absolutely no way Purdue wins the number of games it does without Ivey. He was literally a one man show when Sasha, IT, and other guards decided not to show up for games on end.

Reactions: bonefish1
Don't disagree, but he didn't show Friday and there's no way to sugar coat it.
He had a bad tourney game just like Grob did against Duke. I agree, bad time to have a bad game, which is why we needed a secondary scoring guard and didn’t have one.

Reactions: PurdueDave
This isn't a serious comment, is it? You're joking, right?

There is absolutely no way Purdue wins the number of games it does without Ivey. He was literally a one man show when Sasha, IT, and other guards decided not to show up for games on end.
It lead to his poor performance Friday. Not denying he had some great games after Illinois, but he had several where he tried to do too much....including Friday.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I think we still would have made the tournament, but we would have probably been close to the bubble. We wouldn't have got out of the first weekend, that is for sure. Watching UNC boatrace St. Peters really does make you wonder just how bad we were on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT