ADVERTISEMENT

The "A-Train": Man was he a bad dude.

Unfortunately I was out of the country when he played. Great video, it's always nice to see former Boilermakers excel, and how! Rondale keeps up some of his style bouncing off opponents to a lesser degree. Hopefully more of our players will have his determination, I'm sure Rondale does. I think that this would make a good motivation video.

Being a "chronic" (the words of my son who wrote for G&B) I was at the first practice of Mike Alstott in the Mollenkopf Center. Wandering around, looking at the new recruits and wondering if we were gonna be decent that year.

Mike was pushing one of the coaches on the sled. As I watched I thought to myself, "doesn't seem to be much of a football player. Kinda small, probably that's why he didn't get very many offers."

Obviously, you don't need to get my opinion on anything football-related after that. (confession is good for the soul)

Being a "chronic" (the words of my son who wrote for G&B) I was at the first practice of Mike Alstott in the Mollenkopf Center. Wandering around, looking at the new recruits and wondering if we were gonna be decent that year.

Mike was pushing one of the coaches on the sled. As I watched I thought to myself, "doesn't seem to be much of a football player. Kinda small, probably that's why he didn't get very many offers."

Obviously, you don't need to get my opinion on anything football-related after that. (confession is good for the soul)
when did he get a lot bigger and how big was he when he first got to Purdue?

That was obvious to me the first time we met at Purdue football practice last year! :)

Reactions: Dandelion1972

To be fair he was being recruited by other Big Ten programs. Fortunately he cancelled other visits after his trip to Purdue.

when did he get a lot bigger and how big was he when he first got to Purdue?

According to WickedPedia:

"Alstott scored 12 touchdowns as a sophomore, 14 as a junior, and 11 as a senior, and held the Purdue rushing touchdown record with 39 until Kory Sheets broke it in 2008."

Apparently, didn't carry the ball very much as a frosh, so I think he must have been slightly built and then worked hard to become a beast. My son says he was always in the weight room.

Was introduced to him on the field after his final IU game. I was kind of expecting this tough character, but he was soft spoken and totally a gentleman. I was impressed! ( __________________________ fill-in your joke here, TK!)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mike-alstott-1.html#rushing::none

Rushing & Receiving

• Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
1992 Purdue Big Ten RB 11 46 195 4.2 2 15 208 13.9 1 61 403 6.6 3
1993 Purdue Big Ten RB 11 153 816 5.3 12 30 407 13.6 2 183 1223 6.7 14
1994 Purdue Big Ten RB 11 202 1188 5.9 14 23 298 13.0 0 225 1486 6.6 14
1995 Purdue Big Ten RB 11 243 1436 5.9 11 25 162 6.5 0 268 1598 6.0 11

Career Purdue 644 3635 5.6 39 93 1075 11.6 3 737 4710 6.4 42

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
It seems IIRC that we was lightly recruited. Not even sure about the number of stars!

He had multiple visits scheduled with Big Ten schools but cancelled them after committing to Purdue. I know that Wisconsin, Illinois and indiana were on that list.
Recruiting services, and thus the ratings and exposure, really didn't exist back then so not sure of any star ratings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT