ADVERTISEMENT

Texas-Beard

Matt Painter had a pretty darn good game plan, and his team executed it well enough. Ethan Morton's defense was huge, and Jaden Ivey took over just enough on the key possessions when Purdue needed it. Big Tre came up really big, too. Total team effort - total team win. Outstanding job on the glass after the first early stretch of the game.

Carr was good...Morton did an outstanding job on him to cool him down a bit after he had lit Purdue up for a bit.

Purdue in large part did exactly what it needed to in order to have the chance to get to 70+...it was not horrible with the ball...it did not force shots...it played through the post where it had a significant advantage...and, it got BIG buckets from a couple of guys that you don't count on in Morton and Furst.

I would argue as well that it was Ivey's best game of the year as well...
Last few games I wanted Jaden in the offense and not ball dominant until the clock was winding down...the closer. Tonight it appeared that Matt and Jaden knew they would take away his drive and Jaden didn't force any shots almost like a decoy...and then was a closer not just as the clock wound down, but as the second half wound down

Finally!!! Good to put the Chris Beard bs in the rear view mirror. Time to smash the Peacocks glass slipper and let the horse carriage turn to a pumpkin!
Agree in that it is nice to get past the Beard narrative...and, I do indeed think there is some genuine great mutual respect between him and Painter.

Beard is a tremendous Coach, and, it is a mere matter of time before Texas is again a national power.

Painter/Purdue had a rock solid game plan for tonight, and, in large part, executed it.

As has often been the case this year, Purdue was its own worst enemy at times and why Purdue did not blow Texas out...there simply is not another team in the country that handles prosperity worse than Purdue unfortunately...and incredibly frustratingly.

Huge win for Painter and for Purdue...

Last few games I wanted Jaden in the offense and not ball dominant until the clock was winding down...the closer. Tonight it appeared that Matt and Jaden knew they would take away his drive and Jaden didn't force any shots almost like a decoy...and then was a closer not just as the clock wound down, but as the second half wound down
Agree with you on both...

Like say, I would argue it was Ivey's best game...as much as I wanted him to be involved in the first half, I admittedly could not have been more impressed with his composure, decisions, and, most impressive to me...his effort at the defensive end.

I won't lie in that I don't know that I liked or felt good about either of the late 3's, but, props to him on drilling them...and, I absolutely admire guys that have the willingness to take the shots that matter and live with the results...it takes something special to be do it.

I have said it many times...he usually is at his best in the biggest moments and when the lights are brightest...that absolutely was the case tonight, and, I could not have been more impressed with the overall game that he had tonight.

Agree with you on both...

Like say, I would argue it was Ivey's best game...as much as I wanted him to be involved in the first half, I admittedly could not have been more impressed with his composure, decisions, and, most impressive to me...his effort at the defensive end.

I won't lie in that I don't know that I liked or felt good about either of the late 3's, but, props to him on drilling them...and, I absolutely admire guys that have the willingness to take the shots that matter and live with the results...it takes something special to be do it.

I have said it many times...he usually is at his best in the biggest moments and when the lights are brightest...that absolutely was the case tonight, and, I could not have been more impressed with the overall game that he had tonight.
Yes, outside of a couple of times he left his feet and made some bad passes, he was very composed, worked on D and played great

Yes, outside of a couple of times he left his feet and made some bad passes, he was very composed, worked on D and played great
And that was early...back-to-back possessions, and, one was the result of nothing more than a fake screen by Edey in that he screened nobody.

Reactions: tjreese
I was surprised Beards plan was to take away Ivey with immediate doubles, maybe he figured Ivey would get flustered and make bad decisions. That left everyone else to beat him and they did even though we hit squadoosh from 3. Really a great team win and everyone that thought Beard would outcoach Painter should be ashamed now.

his .... "cold hand"...???

Dude has had 2 bad games out of the last 6. The other 4 were solid.

Sasha is clearly showing Painter his mechanics and results are fine in practice, otherwise he wouldn't be seeing the floor. He's also shown he can be a streaky shooter, just like most of our other shooters over the years.
13% from 3 in the post season

I was surprised Beards plan was to take away Ivey with immediate doubles, maybe he figured Ivey would get flustered and make bad decisions. That left everyone else to beat him and they did even though we hit squadoosh from 3. Really a great team win and everyone that thought Beard would outcoach Painter should be ashamed now.
many...many fans think that when a team loses it is the coaches "bad decisions", because they have a different idea of what should happen. That idea may be on their own or the result of a talking head that may not know the team he or she are discussing. They see something not working in their eyes and think something different would work better and it may not...it could be worse. That doesn't mean coaches are never wrong, but generally more right than the typical fan that doesn't know the players on both teams or the nuances of the particular game in question. I'm very confident that had Jaden missed the 3 ball and Texas got the rebound and beat Purdue...the forums, twitter or everyplace fans might gather would blame Matt for the loss. It is quite simple on a keyboard.

There was no double on Jaden unless he got close to another Purdue player with the ball, but a lot of denial early and Jaden to his credit played a much more mature game than we've seen before...letting things come to him mostly and then pushing the play a bit in the second half...but still doing what he can...

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT