ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee vs. Purdue MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Fletch - 27 (10/11 on FT's)
Zachen - 23/10

A little unbalanced tonight.....played Tennessee's game but found a way to win - good to face some adversity and battle through.

No rest for the weary with either Kansas (#1) or Marquette (#4) tomorrow in the championship game.

That was the worst stretch of college basketball I have ever seen for most of the 2nd half. Horrible job by refs to regulate and be consistent with the foul calls until the last 4 minutes of the game. Completely unwatchable game for over 10 minutes in the 2nd half!!!!

Loyer is bad baaaaaaaaaaaad man. 27 pts against THAT defense? That's unreal. I honestly did not think he physically had it in his body to play that well against a team like Tenn. Loyer is an absolute dawg. Big time player.

Edey was his usual great self except for missing all the fts in the first half of the first half.

TKR rebounded and defended like a beast tonight!

Colvin looked like the freshman he is. Not going to the NBA this year.

No one else really stood out in the dog fight of a game.

Last thing is GREAT defense by Morton on the 2nd to last 3 from Tenn. Read the play perfectly and really bothered the shot.

ziegler (sp) played heavy minutes tonight and hounded Smith. Tired legs at the end.

We don't win this game last year. We are tougher now. very ugly game, but I love the fight we showed.
I really think the shooting improves cautiously…but if the grit continues Purdue has already shown they can win against quality teams and not shoot well. Now if that can continue and the shooting step up…Purdue can have a really good year

ziegler (sp) played heavy minutes tonight and hounded Smith. Tired legs at the end.

We don't win this game last year. We are tougher now. very ugly game, but I love the fight we showed.

125ed70d-aba0-44d4-8b22-c1fdb1008b1c_text.gif

Hopefully won't be bullied so easily by a coach both on the T and at half. They got Zach out with 3 fouls and then multiple fouls on Purdue to start the half. Gotta have refs with some balls in these big holiday tournaments.
I’ve seen it before the refs let them play. It gets physical, more physical and more physical. They realize they are losing the game then they turn around and start trying to call it tight to correct it, but it hurts the team that was not playing physical early and then tried to match the way the game was played the first half and they change the calling which was Purdue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roeder and Zaphod_B
Myles just wasn't ready for that and neither was Heide. No shame in that, few Freshman would be. Next game will be completely different and we may need their offense in that one.

Reactions: tjreese
I love the win, but this was a truly horrible display of basketball. At least the 2nd half as I couldn't watch the first. Don't really want to.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
I did not watch, but looking at the box score, if we'd have hit just 75% of our free throws it would not have been very close. 48 attempts? Good god. Tennessee had 30. I guess it was a rugby game? :D
I’m just glad they survived the hand shake line with no blows being thrown

Myles just wasn't ready for that and neither was Heide. No shame in that, few Freshman would be. Next game will be completely different and we may need their offense in that one.
Totally agree. That wasn’t basketball…I’m just glad none of our dudes got seriously injured.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
No one is a Loyer hater . Just honest , until tonight he hasn’t played with toughness needed to play at this level. And still hasn’t shot well, but tonight no one shot well

Reactions: seminolesboilers
I thought Furst really played well. He rebounded. Defended. He made a few plays for others. Attacked the basket. Hustled. Played lots of minutes in the 2nd half.

Really played a big role in the win.
Hope he gets his confidence up! Need his rebounding and athleticism if we want to make a run in March.

No one is a Loyer hater . Just honest , until tonight he hasn’t played with toughness needed to play at this level. And still hasn’t shot well, but tonight no one shot well
Best overall game as a boiler I’d say. If he can string more of these throughout the season, we will be a tough out. Won’t need it every game, since we have others who can pick it up, but if he can have 1 or 2 of these in March, we will be tough.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
It's just the way TN plays. No surprise that it was an ugly game. Great resume win and no one got hurt. Move on to the next one. Should be a fun up and down game after watching that slugfest.
Agreed! Good experience for the team and glad we got out of there with no injuries. Liked that we were able to get the lead and keep it without edey in. It did help Tennessee couldn’t hit anything…but no team has shot well at this tournament yet.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Outstanding ball pressure on our guards by TN...it was very disruptive. It is good to play this type of game during the regular season...win or lose.

Reactions: tjreese
Myles was a step slow...probably more mental and Cam made a couple of hustle plays but played it very close to his chest on O. More minutes and he will have more confidence. Both will be okay...lot of games to be played this year and they will grow through the year, but yeah both were a bit uncomfortable and you have to give Tenn credit for some of that as well

Outstanding ball pressure on our guards by TN...it was very disruptive. It is good to play this type of game during the regular season...win or lose.
Yeah, I didn't really have too many issues on the perimeter calls, but what went on in the lane the first half was a criminal

It was impressive Purdue won that dog fight. Tenn has the roster and style to carry out the physical blueprint that Purdue had problems with last year. One of the ugliest games I've ever watched.

It's unfortunate the officials adjusted to Barnes' tantrum instead of continuing to call it the same way and making Tenn adjust. That's what opened this up to be a whistle fest.

Marquette will be a totally different style/test. They are playing the best of any team I've seen outside of maybe Arizona. They are really fun to watch and will need to play much better than last night to beat them IMO.

Reactions: mathboy and DrEss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT