ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee - Purdue Game Discussion Thread

Well when the refs indicate forward progress, the defense relaxes. So what if he reached after that? I do agree with the UT fan that said it should not have comedown to the refs deciding the game.

To the UT guys that think this might have gone differently, there is no certainty. Let’s say they counted that UT touchdown. If we are revising history then I can claim we would have come back and scored a TD too, and then, successfully went for two, thus winning anyway.
Refs stand with a whistle in their mouth for a reason. The booth claimed the whistle was irrelevant but that’s not true. About a dozen penalties are decided upon the whistle and if they happen before or after that sound. Not the waving of hands.

Maybe UT shoulda just taken the FG and not taken the chance of not getting the TD, or having a bad call go against them... roll the dice enough times, and eventually they'll come up against you... just a thought.
What a dimwitted response. So you’re saying Tennessee should’ve known the refs would’ve called a forward progress when our rb was stopped for 1 second? Maybe kicking the FG was the better call. Doesn’t change the fact the refs took that game away from us. I’d never wish that against any opponent we play. Just a stupid way to end it.

Refs stand with a whistle in their mouth for a reason. The booth claimed the whistle was irrelevant but that’s not true. About a dozen penalties are decided upon the whistle and if they happen before or after that sound. Not the waving of hands.
Doesn't apply to forward progress. It's the ref's discretion.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and BBG
Good game refs. What a load of shit that forward progress call was. I hate that such a good game came down to the refs making such an awful call. Purdue’s fullback wouldn’t have ran for any yards had they called forward progress as fast as they did there. I’ll give Purdue a lot of credit. They played well. Just hate how the refs took the game into their hands there at the end.

What a dimwitted response. So you’re saying Tennessee should’ve known the refs would’ve called a forward progress when our rb was stopped for 1 second? Maybe kicking the FG was the better call. Doesn’t change the fact the refs took that game away from us. I’d never wish that against any opponent we play. Just a stupid way to end it.
Stopped for 1 second and completely parallel to the ground. Play over.

Well, in spite of all the whining, it was an good game. Not at all what I expected after the start. If all things were equal, with our best still playing, it would have been ugly for the Vols.

Very happy with the way the 3rd, 4th, and so on, stepped up to the plate. Good things are coming.

Hoping this shot of Don Julio 1942 slows the heart rate a bit.

Scoreboard bitch.
iVDPP8Fll-fgoxOICwmmmkyTwGx1l27LMO9ods7mKWZvcklr4bWg8fpK0nS60mSvv5CDTZjPgRKX2DqltE_LFKVoz3jyjZRIQQ24IQ

On that last Tennessee play, is it legal for another offensive player to pull the ball carrier forward over the goal line?

And how about those goal line stands where the offense pushes a defensive player from the rear to make the ball carrier cross the goal line? I thought such"blocking" was illegal, but I never see it called.

Great to see the W!!!!!!!!

On that last Tennessee play, is it legal for another offensive player to pull the ball carrier forward over the goal line?

And how about those goal line stands where the offense pushes a defensive player from the rear to make the ball carrier cross the goal line? I thought such"blocking" was illegal, but I never see it called.

They used to call that, but I haven't seen it called in years.

Well when there’s indicates forward progress, the defense relaxes. So what if he reached after that? I do agree with the UT fan that said it should not have comedown to the refs deciding the game.

To the UT guys that think this might have gone differently, there is no certainty. Let’s say they counted that UT touchdown. If we are revising history then I can claim we would have come back and scored a TD too, and then, successfully went for two, thus winning anyway.
So, first it was the refs. Then fake injuries. Any other excuses? Go back to your hut, write a sad song for your banjo, or jug, or washboard….and mourn your loss.

UT had 184725 transfers out last summer!

• Haha
Reactions: TX4GB and Abugabby
The game was won by the players on the field. Both teams were scrappy and played tough. Both “deserved to win”. Good luck next year Tennessee.

:cool:

Reactions: indyogb
What a game by our Boilers! Boiler Up! I think I will remember this season for a while.

To all the complaining on the board from Tennessee fans. The injury stuff is crazy talk. We didn’t fake our starting DE injury on a 3rd and 9. We didn’t fake our starting MLB injury on 3rd and 2. And we certainly didn’t fake injuries when saving you a timeout. We had what looks like 3-4 defensive players battling hard through injuries.

The forward progress whistle I disagree with. I wish it had not come down to that. Realistically though you guys blew your chance to win imo at the end of regulation with some horrible play calling.

i am honestly shocked we were even in this game given the injuries and opt outs. Hats off to most of the Tennessee fans who have visited the last several weeks. Most of you have been good sports and good luck going forward.

Boiler Up!

Reactions: indyogb
I'm saying your coach gambled on 4th down twice instead of taking points, dumb@ss! There are a lot of variables that can go against you in a one and done situation and every time you do it you tempt fate. Every time you do it increases the overall probability that it will fail for whatever reason... Should have just taken the points is all I was saying. Your coach shot himself in the foot. However as far as the call was concerned, watching in real time, I thought his forward progress was stopped b4 he reached out (I also thought his knee was down). Upon replay and further review, I became concerned about both of those. Obviously his knee was, in fact, not down, but according to rules, if the ref called the play dead for forward progress before he reached, it was dead when he determined (even if the actual whistle blow was not heard until after). Them's the rules, live with them...

Reactions: Abugabby and SKYDOG
I'm saying your coach gambled on 4th down twice instead of taking points, dumb@ss! There are a lot of variables that can go against you in a one and done situation and every time you do it you tempt fate. Every time you do it increases the overall probability that it will fail for whatever reason... Should have just taken the points is all I was saying. Your coach shot himself in the foot. However as far as the call was concerned, watching in real time, I thought his forward progress was stopped b4 he reached out (I also thought his knee was down). Upon replay and further review, I became concerned about both of those. Obviously his knee was, in fact, not down, but according to rules, if the ref called the play dead for forward progress before he reached, it was dead when he determined (even if the actual whistle blow was not heard until after). Them's the rules, live with them...
Like I said in my post... if those were the rules, yalls fullback doesn’t run for near as many yards. There were multiple plays where he wasn’t moving for at least as long as our running back on that final play. The refs are inconsistent, and it showed there.

Reactions: TX4GB and Zaphod_B
Like I said in my post... if those were the rules, yalls fullback doesn’t run for near as many yards. There were multiple plays where he wasn’t moving for at least as long as our running back on that final play. The refs are inconsistent, and it showed there.
yeah, the rule is it is up to the ref... inconsistent refs suck, I agree... sucks to be you (in this case). It's sucked to be Purdue many many times, so we feel ya...

My understanding of the rule is that you can now push the runner without it being a penalty for illegally assisting the runner. NFL did that in 2005 and NCAA in 2013, IIRC. However, pulling or lifting I thought was still a penalty.

Heck of a battle for both teams - one of those games where you could make a case for either team winning or losing......really thought Tennessee was going to win it in regulation with a FG with three time-outs left.....maybe should have tried a couple more runs, but hindsight is 20/20.

I like Purdue's trajectory right now.....we shall see.

To the Purdue fans on this board,

Thanks for another great game discussion season. It was fun.

2022 looks to be very bright for our team, if we can get healthy and continue to improve on some glaring weaknesses in certain areas in the offseason. Here is to wishing you a Happy and Prosperous Year in 2022!

I’m not so sure that the Tennessee players allowed to grab their running backs jersey and pull him into the end zone. Isn’t that a penalty? Yeah, it is… The player with the ball is not allowed to be pulled forward by a teammate in an attempt to advance the ball…

Reactions: Zaphod_B
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT