ADVERTISEMENT

Tenn AD has reached out to Brohm

I think Mike Leach would actually fit in well there. He has taken Wazzou about as far as he will be able to and Tennessee is an even bigger rebuild challenge than that of TT or Wazzou. He would fit in with UT fans with his quirky and benevolent attitude along with bringing a little something different to matchup better with other SEC schools.

Reactions: Roeder
Also, his buyout would be the total amount what is on his contract, correct? That would be near $15 million.
If Purdue fired him they would have to pay roughly $15M. His buyout for another job is $5M with $900k forgivable loan. That deal loses a year and goes to $4M plus $750k on the foregivable loan after December 5th.

I wonder how receptive Brohm would be regardless of how he sees his future at Purdue.

Since running Phil Fulmer out of town a decade ago, Tennessee is 53-50 and twenty games below .500 in SEC play. This program and its fans have even greater delusions of grandeur than Nebraska, if that's possible. Every coaching hire they've had since Fulmer has derailed into a train wreck.

I'm not saying Brohm won't be a commodity, and maybe other programs are reaching out. But there's no reason he has to take a job as toxic as Tennessee has made itself.

I wonder how receptive Brohm would be regardless of how he sees his future at Purdue.

Since rubbing Phil Fulmer out of town a decade ago, Tennessee is 53-50 and twenty games below .500 in SEC play. This program and its fans have even greater delusions of grandeur than Nebraska, if that's possible. Every coaching hire they've had since Fulmer has derailed into a train wreck.

I'm not saying Brohm won't be a commodity, and maybe other programs are reaching out. But there's no reason he has to take a job as toxic as Tennessee has made itself.
Check in flight tracker, I believe I located a plane that may have flown in to speak to Brohm today. Same flight went to OSU on Tuesday likely to speak to Schiano. Arrived at 4pm left today at 6:11pm. Time frame for the debacle that occurred already today with UT. Guessing Brohm is likely taking the evening/night to decide. Flight landed at 7:11pm back at its original destination...hopefully that doesn’t mean it is a sealed deal. I would be disappointed BUT would understand Brohm’s nature to want to leave...still close to his hometown.

Still believe Tee Martin is probably the best fit for them given he is a former QB and one of the best OC’s in the country.

Check in flight tracker, I believe I located a plane that may have flown in to speak to Brohm today. Same flight went to OSU on Tuesday likely to speak to Schiano. Arrived at 4pm left today at 6:11pm. Time frame for the debacle that occurred already today with UT. Guessing Brohm is likely taking the evening/night to decide. Flight landed at 7:11pm back at its original destination...hopefully that doesn’t mean it is a sealed deal. I would be disappointed BUT would understand Brohm’s nature to want to leave...still close to his hometown.

Still believe Tee Martin is probably the best fit for them given he is a former QB and one of the best OC’s in the country.

Arrived at 4pm? Negative. They had their coach and the Tennessee fanbase lashed out. Tennessee is scrambling right now

Wonder how this plays out for Tennessee. I'm sure they are scrambling, but it might not be as bad as we think it is. They have a short list of coaches for their succession plan, and they have money.
There are very good coaches available right now that would consider their location and opportunity as a good fit. Les Miles comes to mind. Their administrators can make it happen.

UT job is a tough sell. It's where coaches go to die. Purdue is paying damn near top 25 pay and definitely can afford that at this point. Built a new football facility. Recruits are pouring in. Where would I go as a coach? At Purdue you win 6 games and the university will have statues with your name on them. At UT, with their delusional fans, they'll crucify you for not achieving the impossible. Playing Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida, etc., going 0-8. They're desperate. Far more desperate than Purdue last year, as desperate as we were. Making a very comfortable salary at Purdue with reasonable fan expectations makes Purdue in my mind one of the best coaching jobs there is currently outside of the bigs. I wouldn't leave and Purdue is definitely going to match an offer. Purdue is paying top 30 pay, I believe with the bowl game bonus, it is top 25 pay; regardless is within range to offer top 20 pay if need be. UT isn't the school he's going to be winning championships at with the lineup they face. I believe Purdue can be a contender for a conference title possibly as early as next year, though, not my expectation. As I said the benefit of coaching at Purdue is you can build the program now with top 25 caliber pay, but without all of the insane pressure to do it, which makes it more enjoyable. He stays....bank on it.

I have a HARD time believing Brohm will go anywhere RIGHT NOW.

Now, once he starts winning 8+ games a year and Purdue is competing and maybe winning BIG10 titles - then fans should start to be concerned about other programs trying to poach him.

Don't have time to research it, but can anyone think of coaches who were at mid-level Power 5 programs (like PU) and then became hot coaching prospects for the big boys but stayed put?

Don't have time to research it, but can anyone think of coaches who were at mid-level Power 5 programs (like PU) and then became hot coaching prospects for the big boys but stayed put?

Tiller :)

I think is good and will be very good, but I wouldn't put him as the top candidate out there.

Mike Leach would do well at Tennessee and WSU was already prepared to name the DC head coach if it happened.

Norvell at Memphis is another coach they could/should target

Lets be honest here. We rushed the field after going 6-6. At UT you get fired for that. The money is nice but Brohm could sit here comfortably deliver us a few more bowls and see as good a payday or better at a school with more stability and in a better position to succeed.

I have a HARD time believing Brohm will go anywhere RIGHT NOW.

Now, once he starts winning 8+ games a year and Purdue is competing and maybe winning BIG10 titles - then fans should start to be concerned about other programs trying to poach him.
Tennessee may be facing contractual legal action by Schiano. Stay tuned.

Tennessee fan here..... lots of message board rumors about this. One guy that's considered a "insider" has said he's received 2 texts on this in the last 30 min, one coming from inside our AD office.

Tennessee may be facing contractual legal action by Schiano. Stay tuned.

And nobody cares, Haslam will pay that bill, because this was all his doing.
As a Vol fan, the folks who say our admin can get a good coach...well, you haven't watched closely. We have no leadership, that's why things have devolved into this debacle. Football is at the forefront, but in truth, its every sport we have. Just 2 cents from a formerly pissed and now apathetic Vol fan.

If this is true, Bob needs to be ready to fork out whatever it will take to keep Brohm here. If he gets snatched away that would be one massive failure on our AD's part.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Lets be honest here. We rushed the field after going 6-6. At UT you get fired for that. The money is nice but Brohm could sit here comfortably deliver us a few more bowls and see as good a payday or better at a school with more stability and in a better position to succeed.

Ya, that's what I think. Obviously, it's Brohm's decision, and I want him to stay at Purdue at least for a few more years. Our rebuild does look easier here than at Tennessee, but I don't know if that's a motivation. I just think there's no reason for him to jump into a program that has chewed up and spit out four coaches in the past ten years. There will be more attractive opportunities, especially if he can build Purdue up to a regular 8 or 9-win program over the next few years.

I gotta give credit to Bobinski to doing his due diligence with our hire of Brohm. It sounds like UT's AD is just reaching out for names all over the place. I mean how did he not take into consideration the backlash a Schiano hire would get not to mention not exactly a stellar W/L record that would meet the lofty expectations UT has.

As a Vol fan, the folks who say our admin can get a good coach...well, you haven't watched closely. We have no leadership, that's why things have devolved into this debacle. Football is at the forefront, but in truth, its every sport we have. Just 2 cents from a formerly pissed and now apathetic Vol fan.

That sounds like a credible use of taxpayer money, including mine since I live in Tennessee.

UT job is a tough sell. It's where coaches go to die. Purdue is paying damn near top 25 pay and definitely can afford that at this point. Built a new football facility. Recruits are pouring in. Where would I go as a coach? At Purdue you win 6 games and the university will have statues with your name on them. At UT, with their delusional fans, they'll crucify you for not achieving the impossible. Playing Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida, etc., going 0-8. They're desperate. Far more desperate than Purdue last year, as desperate as we were. Making a very comfortable salary at Purdue with reasonable fan expectations makes Purdue in my mind one of the best coaching jobs there is currently outside of the bigs. I wouldn't leave and Purdue is definitely going to match an offer. Purdue is paying top 30 pay, I believe with the bowl game bonus, it is top 25 pay; regardless is within range to offer top 20 pay if need be. UT isn't the school he's going to be winning championships at with the lineup they face. I believe Purdue can be a contender for a conference title possibly as early as next year, though, not my expectation. As I said the benefit of coaching at Purdue is you can build the program now with top 25 caliber pay, but without all of the insane pressure to do it, which makes it more enjoyable. He stays....bank on it.
LOL. We're 12th on the all time wins list among college football programs (829 wins). We're behind Oklahoma and Penn State and above USC, Georgia, and LSU. Pretty solid company. Our state is producing talent quality and quantity wise like it never has before. We're a sleeping giant who has proven it can win a national championship in the toughest conference in America. We're just in need of a great coach like Jeff Brohm.

I gotta give credit to Bobinski to doing his due diligence with our hire of Brohm. It sounds like UT's AD is just reaching out for names all over the place. I mean how did he not take into consideration the backlash a Schiano hire would get not to mention not exactly a stellar W/L record that would meet the lofty expectations UT has.

Or really, if Brohm is such an attractive commodity, why even offer a guy who hasn't been a college head coach in 6 years. That makes the Schiano deal look out of whack --- he's a more attractive candidate than a coach who has gone 36-16 over the past four years?

Or really, if Brohm is such an attractive commodity, why even offer a guy who hasn't been a college head coach in 6 years. That makes the Schiano deal look out of whack --- he's a more attractive candidate than a coach who has gone 36-16 over the past four years?
That's because you are unaware of how all this came about. Schiano was forced on the UT AD by Haslam, the browns owner. It had zero to do with "best candidate". No vetting process or coaching search took place.

LOL. We're 12th on the all time wins list among college football programs (829 wins). We're behind Oklahoma and Penn State and above USC, Georgia, and LSU. Pretty solid company. Our state is producing talent quality and quantity wise like it never has before. We're a sleeping giant who has proven it can win a national championship in the toughest conference in America. We're just in need of a great coach like Jeff Brohm.

You'll have to forgive the chuckles from Purdue fans, Vol fan Ford Man. We hear the exact same rhetoric out of Hoosier fans every time Indiana hires a new basketball coach. We have it on good authority that Archie Miller will be hanging banners in Assembly Hall any day now!

If apathetic, why are you here? Just asking.

That's because you are unaware of how all this came about. Schiano was forced on the UT AD by Haslam, the browns owner. It had zero to do with "best candidate". No vetting process or coaching search took place.

Interesting. I did not know that. I'm curious how a single booster (I assume) can make that happen, especially a candidate who's qualifications would seem marginal for a job of that stature.

Currie long for the job?

Interesting. I did not know that. I'm curious how a single booster (I assume) can make that happen, especially a candidate who's qualifications would seem marginal for a job of that stature.

He's always been the most powerful booster and his brother being governor of the state has given him free rein to bully everyone to do what he wants. Tried to hire Schiano 3 years ago for the Browns. His front office refused to sign off on it, and so he fired them both. Schiano never got to be his HC for the Browns, so he forced his puppet named Currie to give him the job in Knoxville.

Reactions: Vol fan Ford man
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT