Jacobsen to compete for spot on U18 USA National team

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Ahhh...I need larger font. lol

:)

FMO.gif

I wish him well. Purdue and Painter have a very good track record in being able to get their recruits tryouts for the national teams. The rest is up to him.

I still think he may surprise a lot of people becoming our starting center as a freshman. It would be awesome to see him and Furst sharing the position and allowing TKR to remain at the 4.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I wish him well. Purdue and Painter have a very good track record in being able to get their recruits tryouts for the national teams. The rest is up to him.

I still think he may surprise a lot of people becoming our starting center as a freshman. It would be awesome to see him and Furst sharing the position and allowing TKR to remain at the 4.
Painter does have some influence since he’s on the board (this is what other fan bases say). And I won’t be surprised if Jacobsen plays a lot this coming year. It’ll be TKR with major mins, plus berg and Furst in the mix at the 4 and 5.

Painter does have some influence since he’s on the board (this is what other fan bases say). And I won’t be surprised if Jacobsen plays a lot this coming year. It’ll be TKR with major mins, plus berg and Furst in the mix at the 4 and 5.
My guess is TKR is playing the 4 more times than not.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Twitter blowing up with him last 2 days he has impressed one and all. Kid honestly gets better by the day. Has all the tools he would be a better ball handler than Trey and a better shot blocker than we have had since AJ. He is going to play a lot.

Maybe 2 frosh starters? Certainly with him and Catchings 2 frosh that will get a lot of minutes, starter or NOT. Harris gets lot of minutes too, if his D is as advertised. Going to be a fun bunch. Can't wait!!

My hope is he and Berg are ready to platoon at the 5 this year. I think the ceiling of the team this year and next will be determined by the development of our two 7 footers. TKR and Burgess can platoon at the 4.

My hope is he and Berg are ready to platoon at the 5 this year. I think the ceiling of the team this year and next will be determined by the development of our two 7 footers. TKR and Burgess can platoon at the 4.

Another Catchings @ the 3 guy....ehh.
We will see? Wherever he plays, likely going to be an impact frosh.

I think TKR will move back to the 5 as it’s his most re natural position. I am curious to see how minutes shake out for Jacobsen and Berg. I believe Fursts minutes will come at the 4.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think TKR will move back to the 5 as it’s his most re natural position. I am curious to see how minutes shake out for Jacobsen and Berg. I believe Fursts minutes will come at the 4.
My guess....

I think TKR starts at 5. Heide starts at 4. Jacobson will play when team needs rim protection/change of pace at 5. Furst will be option at 4 or 5 based on matchups off bench.

I see Berg as odd man out again. Burgess likely redshirts.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Twitter blowing up with him last 2 days he has impressed one and all. Kid honestly gets better by the day. Has all the tools he would be a better ball handler than Trey and a better shot blocker than we have had since AJ. He is going to play a lot.
He or Berg being "for real" would be one of the biggest X factors for next years team. I like TKR and Furst together and hope they get a lot of time together but neither is going to consistently stop opposing teams 7'ers with offensive games. Going to need a rim protector off the bench at least.
Here's hoping this hype is real.

I think Offensive end, yes.
Defensive end, no.
Furst will guard the centers. He's a little bigger and has a stronger base so he can belly up and not get pushed around as much.
And if Trey is our prime post scorer, we don't want him picking up fouls, which you are going to do guarding guys bigger than you AND trying to get you out of the game.
We are AMAZINGLY SPOILED by Zachs ability to stay out of foul trouble......

Last edited:
Reactions: northside100
My guess....

I think TKR starts at 5. Heide starts at 4. Jacobson will play when team needs rim protection/change of pace at 5. Furst will be option at 4 or 5 based on matchups off bench.

I see Berg as odd man out again. Burgess likely redshirts.
I just don't see that team rebounding well enough in the Big 10.
Playing small at 5 and 4 and maybe 3 isn't great in the Big 10.
We've had Zach to take rebounding for granted, but it's going to be a big deal for this team next year.
TKR/Heide/Colvin/Smith/Loyer sure would be interesting on the offensive end!
Short stints with the right matchups maybe. :)

I just don't see that team rebounding well enough in the Big 10.
Playing small at 5 and 4 and maybe 3 isn't great in the Big 10.
We've had Zach to take rebounding for granted, but it's going to be a big deal for this team next year.
TKR/Heide/Colvin/Smith/Loyer sure would be interesting on the offensive end!
Short stints with the right matchups maybe. :)
I think TKR/Furst combo will hold up fine when out there together.

Smith is also a GREAT rebounder for a PG.

Heide showed some promise too.

You are correct we took Zach for granted in a lot of areas. Gone are the days of being plus 10 or more on everyone on the glass. This team will need to offset that by winning TOs and taking/making more 3s, which I think they can do.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
The most pleasant surprise, however, has been Daniel Jacobsen. The 7-foot-3 big man who finished his high school career at Brewster Academy has long been known as an intriguing long-term prospect because of his great size and developing skill. Physically though, he has been a work in progress and often content to try to show his three-point shooting. So far in Colorado, he has been asserting himself around the rim, and been as impactful as maybe anyone in the field. He's playing with more athleticism, finishing hard above the rim, battling for real estate in the post, contesting plays defensively, and rim-running. In short, he's making a big impression, and only adding to the optimism about what he can become at Purdue given their pedigree for developing big men.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT