ADVERTISEMENT

Tenn AD has reached out to Brohm

Don't have time to research it, but can anyone think of coaches who were at mid-level Power 5 programs (like PU) and then became hot coaching prospects for the big boys but stayed put?
Kirk Ferentz, Barry Alvarez in the late 90's (has turned itself in to a power school, imo), Mike Leach has said he wants jobs that are rebuilds only), Pat Fitzgerald, Bill Snyder at Kansas State comes to mind for me.

He's always been the most powerful booster and his brother being governor of the state has given him free rein to bully everyone to do what he wants. Tried to hire Schiano 3 years ago for the Browns. His front office refused to sign off on it, and so he fired them both. Schiano never got to be his HC for the Browns, so he forced his puppet named Currie to give him the job in Knoxville.
Sounds like a load of hokum. Consipiracy theories seem to be pretty popular in Tennessee.

Sounds like a load of hokum. Consipiracy theories seem to be pretty popular in Tennessee.

https://www.si.com/2014/02/12/cleveland-browns-jimmy-haslam-fires-joe-banner
Bill Belichick and Urban Meyer were strong in recommendations for fired Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano—Belichick called twice—and here’s where I hear there was a major rift in the organization. Banner wanted nothing to do with Schiano. Haslam was intrigued with him after the over-the-top recommendation from Belichick. The group flew to Tampa to interview Schiano, and one source said Banner was cold to Schiano, not participating much in the interview. Banner likely thought Schiano would be a disastrous hire, given all the negatives in recent Cleveland history. He was probably right, but the owner was open to it, and when the owner’s open to it, the man running football operations should at least consider it.

funny, same questions we are asking today. If they don't stop the Haslams hold over the school, then does it matter who they hire? Self-answering question

What did you think of his hire?

Mike Lombardi has been saying he's the next Belicheck if a team would give give him a chance

Don't have time to research it, but can anyone think of coaches who were at mid-level Power 5 programs (like PU) and then became hot coaching prospects for the big boys but stayed put?

Maybe Kansas State's Snyder when he was younger.

What did you think of his hire?

Mike Lombardi has been saying he's the next Belicheck if a team would give give him a chance

Every NFL coach minus Belichick hates his guts. (Imagine Belichick coaching a college team, how that would work out) His players in Tampa and at Rutgers hated him. His coaching record is below .500. He has anger issues. He's a poor fit on a good day. On a bad day, he's an iceberg looking for a ship. Have you seen any other offers for him to be a HC in college?
the money that pours into the school from donors is crazy. Our ticket prices go up every year, and we get less for it. the fans went nuts at another average hire for the football program. I don't feel bad or embarrassed today, cause i've had the last 3 months of football to feel that.

Every NFL coach minus Belichick hates his guts. (Imagine Belichick coaching a college team, how that would work out) His players in Tampa and at Rutgers hated him. His coaching record is below .500. He has anger issues. He's a poor fit on a good day. On a bad day, he's an iceberg looking for a ship. Have you seen any other offers for him to be a HC in college?
the money that pours into the school from donors is crazy. Our ticket prices go up every year, and we get less for it. the fans went nuts at another average hire for the football program. I don't feel bad or embarrassed today, cause i've had the last 3 months of football to feel that.

Going to steal that line: Iceberg looking for a ship

Thanks for response

LOL. We're 12th on the all time wins list among college football programs (829 wins). We're behind Oklahoma and Penn State and above USC, Georgia, and LSU. Pretty solid company. Our state is producing talent quality and quantity wise like it never has before. We're a sleeping giant who has proven it can win a national championship in the toughest conference in America. We're just in need of a great coach like Jeff Brohm.
LOL...you’re tied for 33rd during THIS century! As for this decade? You’re tied for 66th! Today’s recruits know your program by THESE numbers, not the ancient garbage you spout.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
LOL...you’re tied for 33rd during THIS century! As for this decade? You’re tied for 66th! Today’s recruits know your program by THESE numbers, not he ancient garbage you spout.
And this is the truth. Haven't been good since the turn of the century. that's what our fan base is pissed about. An historically top 10 football program, that cannot beat anyone of substance. Butch recruited back to back top 5 classes. Any good coach can do the same in Knoxville, we just want one.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
And this is the truth. Haven't been good since the turn of the century. that's what our fan base is pissed about. An historically top 10 football program, that cannot beat anyone of substance. Butch recruited back to back top 5 classes. Any good coach can do the same in Knoxville, we just want one.

Who are you guys hearing for the job right now?

And nobody cares, Haslam will pay that bill, because this was all his doing.
As a Vol fan, the folks who say our admin can get a good coach...well, you haven't watched closely. We have no leadership, that's why things have devolved into this debacle. Football is at the forefront, but in truth, its every sport we have. Just 2 cents from a formerly pissed and now apathetic Vol fan.
If Haslam’s such a football genius, maybe he should go get his own football team...

You'll have to forgive the chuckles from Purdue fans, Vol fan Ford Man. We hear the exact same rhetoric out of Hoosier fans every time Indiana hires a new basketball coach. We have it on good authority that Archie Miller will be hanging banners in Assembly Hall any day now!
Vol fans are exactly like IU fans. "This is our year" give me a break lol.

If Tennessee hires Brohm away from us, I hope they never win another game. I will tune in to every game and root like hell against the Vols.

I root like hell against the Vols, but would double down if Brohm left. Only exception would be if the Vols are playing OSU or Harbaugh.

Scratch that now...I cheer for the Vols only if they play Captain Khaki Pants

Last edited:
Who are you guys hearing for the job right now?

Tee Martin has been approached, the rest of the names kinda blend together. Brohm is still the biggest name on the list, but as long as Currie is the AD, with a group of fans that are begging for him to be fired, what coach would come to work for him? None that are sane, IMO.

Gundy is a good fit there imo. He's a coach that hasn't been able to take that final step at OkSt, but OkSt has never been able to recruit at the level needed to deliver championships. He definitely has the ego you need to coach at a program like UT, and a change of scenery might do him some good similar to Mark Richt at Miami.

Gundy is a good fit there imo. He's a coach that hasn't been able to take that final step at OkSt, but OkSt has never been able to recruit at the level needed to deliver championships. He definitely has the ego you need to coach at a program like UT, and a change of scenery might do him some good similar to Mark Richt at Miami.

Plus, Mike Gundy is a MAN.

Kirk Ferentz, Barry Alvarez in the late 90's (has turned itself in to a power school, imo), Mike Leach has said he wants jobs that are rebuilds only), Pat Fitzgerald, Bill Snyder at Kansas State comes to mind for me.
Tiller turned down Colorado when they hired Gary Barnett.

Mike Gundy was offered the job. I can't see Brohm being a candidate if they are going after guys like Gundy.

anybody with half a brain isn't coming to Knoxville, your coach included. Its time for the administration in Knoxville to burn. Let it all burn. I don't care how long it takes. I'd rather go winless and get new leadership, than continue to struggle to be average or below average, with the kind of money the school has. Even for 7 million, I don't see Brohm leaving for UT.

anybody with half a brain isn't coming to Knoxville, your coach included. Its time for the administration in Knoxville to burn. Let it all burn. I don't care how long it takes. I'd rather go winless and get new leadership, than continue to struggle to be average or below average, with the kind of money the school has. Even for 7 million, I don't see Brohm leaving for UT.

Do you know who else is being interviewed today?

Do you know who else is being interviewed today?

Not trying to hijack, but per footballscoop:

SMUs head coach Chad Morris (some debate if this is true)
Auburns DC Kevin Steele

YahooSports:
Dave Doreen

SI saying Brohm, Doreen and Martin being contacted

Last edited:
Nothing really that's easy to confirm

From our mods:
"We are hearing the rumors on Jeff Brohm. That is making its round in some coaching circles, but we have no confirmation on anything. But that rumor is out there, seems to be growing."

So, its probably Brohm's turn to reject the offer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT