ADVERTISEMENT

Tario Fuller

purduepat1969

All-American
Sep 28, 2011
Saw he tweaked his knee. Feel bad for him as he seems injury prone. Hopefully he'll be ready in the fall. Who would be up next if he's not ready? Looks like Worship is still hurt as well.

Saw he tweaked his knee. Feel bad for him as he seems injury prone. Hopefully he'll be ready in the fall. Who would be up next if he's not ready? Looks like Worship is still hurt as well.
I wouldnt be surprised if a freshman starts this fall.

Reactions: pboiler18
I wouldnt be surprised if a freshman starts this fall.
I'm pulling for Horvath, but I haven't given up on Fuller. I also agree that King Doeroe, and maybe Da'Jaun Hewitt (although I think he'll redshirt) can step into a RB tandum role.

I'm pulling for Horvath, but I haven't given up on Fuller. I also agree that King Doeroe, and maybe Da'Jaun Hewitt (although I think he'll redshirt) can step into a RB tandum role.
I dont see Horvath being the starter. Short yardage, sure.

I dont see Horvath being the starter. Short yardage, sure.
I don’t think it will only be short yardage. I can see third and medium as well. He’s a good receiver out of the backfield and I’m assuming his pass blocking is good.

I don’t think it will only be short yardage. I can see third and medium as well. He’s a good receiver out of the backfield and I’m assuming his pass blocking is good.
Agree with you there.

I look to see King as the starter. We've had a good history of freshmen RBs start at Purdue. I believe King is ready and would be a fast learner of our offense.

Two other possibilities: Use Moore and sparks for 3-5 running plays so our existing RBs would not be used as much. I believe the ultimate answer is King.

Reactions: LLaswell
I can easily see a freshman starting. Running back , as much as any position, is about physical ability and instincts. Either they have them or they don’t.

I could see Horvath getting a lot of snaps. Brohm is going to put a premium on pass protection and keeping Eli clean. The freshmen will have a lot of proving to do.

Reactions: LLaswell
a question would be do you see a backfield of 2 running backs? or do you see a lot of sets with only 1 RB in the backfield?

a question would be do you see a backfield of 2 running backs? or do you see a lot of sets with only 1 RB in the backfield?
We have quite a bit of talent at WR and an NFL caliber TE. I dont see much 2 back unless its Rondale motioning into the backfield.

We have quite a bit of talent at WR and an NFL caliber TE. I dont see much 2 back unless its Rondale motioning into the backfield.

that was my thought as well. staying with that thought, would you believe that 1 RB in the backfield, to be more of a blocking back, to protect the QB? or to be more of a runner and pass catcher?

that was my thought as well. staying with that thought, would you believe that 1 RB in the backfield, to be more of a blocking back, to protect the QB? or to be more of a runner and pass catcher?
Depends on the situation. I hope it isnt like 2011 and 2012 where they had to play Kurt Freytag and Jared Crank a ton to protect Marve

I read an article today about Robinson at Nebraska. They plan to use him as both a RB and pass catching RB. It doesn't appear as if he's going to lift a finger at blocking. As such, despite all his talent, he probably would have been a bad fit for Purdue.

I'm hoping Worship becomes healthy. But I'm sort of seeing Purdue mostly having a one RB backfield, and that person being a blocking back and safety valve receiver. i'm not sure if king is a skilled blocking back. I recall several years ago a talented RB was basically benched because he could not block or pick up our blocking schemes, which led to a bunch of blindsided QB sacks.

Two other possibilities: Use Moore and sparks for 3-5 running plays so our existing RBs would not be used as much. I believe the ultimate answer is King.

I really like Knox and Jones, but I don’t think we have had a RB step in with King’s Immediate potential in a long time. If Fuller sustains any kind of setback, I could see along starting. I do think Horvath will see the field though. Would like to see a thunder and lightning combo.

I know I tend to post against your posts but it also happens to be because we tend to be on different sides of the fence....but where do you think Sparks would line up in the backfield as actually happening? In motion to receive a pitch or hand-off like a jet-sweep sure but I will say if the over-under on Sparks actually lining up as a RB in the fall was 1...i'd confidently take the under with 0.

I hear a lot of talk about King Doerue, but nothing about Evan Anderson or Alfred Armour. Is there much of a chance they will get any playing time if Fuller is out?

I hear a lot of talk about King Doerue, but nothing about Evan Anderson or Alfred Armour. Is there much of a chance they will get any playing time if Fuller is out?
Chance for both, but Anderson missed a lot of spring. Armour will probably back up Horvath and play on ST.

I know I tend to post against your posts but it also happens to be because we tend to be on different sides of the fence....but where do you think Sparks would line up in the backfield as actually happening? In motion to receive a pitch or hand-off like a jet-sweep sure but I will say if the over-under on Sparks actually lining up as a RB in the fall was 1...i'd confidently take the under with 0.

It's ok to disagree. I disagree with NAT on a daily basis. What I have problems with is personal attacks.

As for Sparks, two years ago I suggested that we try Alstott at RB because I felt he was so far down on the depth chart at QB, that I was just trying to think of a possible position for him. it's the same with Sparks this year. With the emergence of Moore last year, Sparks kind of became a forgotten man. and with Anderson and Taylor coming off a red shirt year and our incoming freshmen wide receivers, I see Sparks as a very forgotten wide receiver - maybe 10th on the depth chart.

So here is my thought.

I don't know the real heath of Worship or Fuller. Even if healthy, I suspect both will suffer recurring minor injuries . Horvath is sort of a blocker / short yardage guy.

I predict as the season emerges, King will find his way into becoming our starting RB. However, to lessen his load, I would look for 3-5 running plays that could involve Sparks or Moore. Sparks has decent speed and can catch the ball. I could envision Sparks being used on wide sweeps with pitch outs, or reverses, or double reverses. or delayed QB hand-offs. and he can also pass for a possible trick play.

By incorporating Sparks as a RB, you take some of the pressure off King. he would add another dimension to our running game. And unlike Fuller and Worship, he's actually a healthy resource. I like Sparks, and believe he has talent. Unfortunately, I like a lot of our receivers even more. I'm just trying to suggest a possible utilization of Sparks other than the typical response that he can play on special teams.

Reactions: 72Boiler
This thread is pretty ridiculous. Fuller will start. He’s by far our best HB1. He has been for years but hasn’t stayed healthy. We should all hope he does this year.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
This thread is pretty ridiculous. Fuller will start. He’s by far our best HB1. He has been for years but hasn’t stayed healthy. We should all hope he does this year.

Many would argue against your statement. Even when healthy, many here felt he was our second or 3rd or 4th best HB1, behind Knox, and Jones . Worship is better at FB.. and it's not like he started ahead of Jones or Knox either.

and looking at King, he's awesome. Jones started as a freshman, so it's not too crazy to believe King could do the same.

and Fuller has another minor tweak injury. he is to football what Taylor was to basketball.

How does anyone actually know how good King is or will be? Has anyone seen him play?

Brohm knows how good he is. the guy who predicted 9 freshmen would start knows how good he is.

people around here knew how great Jones was. Many freshmen running backs have started. Nebraska says Robinson will start as a freshman. So why do you doubt how great the King is?

How good is Fuller? he had 1/2 of a good year and a couple of good games. Is he as good as he once was ? Will he ever be? no one knows for sure.

Brohm knows how good he is. the guy who predicted 9 freshmen would start knows how good he is.

people around here knew how great Jones was. Many freshmen running backs have started. Nebraska says Robinson will start as a freshman. So why do you doubt how great the King is?

How good is Fuller? he had 1/2 of a good year and a couple of good games. Is he as good as he once was ? Will he ever be? no one knows for sure.
Brohm had Fuller as the #1 over Jones and Knox before he was hurt.

The guy who predicted 9 freshmen to start? You mean Stu the Purdue legend who deserves to be acknowledged for more than your misquoted comment. He said it wouldn’t surprise him if I recall, not a guarantee, although I don’t have the exact quote in front of me.

Fuller is good, very good in fact. But durability has been an issue. King has great size/speed/athleticism. The question will be if he can adjust to more athletic and better defenses as well as grasping the new system/role within the offense.

As for raw talent, it would be hard to say any of the RBs have more of that. He may not start, but I wouldn’t put it past him. The improvement of talent in this ‘19 class is far superior than anything Purdue has seen in a very long time. And the current roster is very young. I wouldn’t be shocked if 9 true freshmen see significant minutes, but I wouldn’t call it a guarantee. King has crazy potential, and if he can’t win a significant role, it means the current RBs were likely doing better than expected and that’s a good thing.

The guy who predicted 9 freshmen to start? You mean Stu the Purdue legend who deserves to be acknowledged for more than your misquoted comment. He said it wouldn’t surprise him if I recall, not a guarantee, although I don’t have the exact quote in front of me.

Fuller is good, very good in fact. But durability has been an issue. King has great size/speed/athleticism. The question will be if he can adjust to more athletic and better defenses as well as grasping the new system/role within the offense.

As for raw talent, it would be hard to say any of the RBs have more of that. He may not start, but I wouldn’t put it past him. The improvement of talent in this ‘19 class is far superior than anything Purdue has seen in a very long time. And the current roster is very young. I wouldn’t be shocked if 9 true freshmen see significant minutes, but I wouldn’t call it a guarantee. King has crazy potential, and if he can’t win a significant role, it means the current RBs were likely doing better than expected and that’s a good thing.

it never was a guarantee, but the depth that it was mocked is an example of internet stupidity.

Reactions: Flot and NVboiler

Dude, he hasn't played a full season yet. So the thread isn't ridiculous. If he does, I'd love it, as he's the most ready. Not sure about the most talented, but the most ready.

It's ok to disagree. I disagree with NAT on a daily basis. What I have problems with is personal attacks.

As for Sparks, two years ago I suggested that we try Alstott at RB because I felt he was so far down on the depth chart at QB, that I was just trying to think of a possible position for him. it's the same with Sparks this year. With the emergence of Moore last year, Sparks kind of became a forgotten man. and with Anderson and Taylor coming off a red shirt year and our incoming freshmen wide receivers, I see Sparks as a very forgotten wide receiver - maybe 10th on the depth chart.

So here is my thought.

I don't know the real heath of Worship or Fuller. Even if healthy, I suspect both will suffer recurring minor injuries . Horvath is sort of a blocker / short yardage guy.

I predict as the season emerges, King will find his way into becoming our starting RB. However, to lessen his load, I would look for 3-5 running plays that could involve Sparks or Moore. Sparks has decent speed and can catch the ball. I could envision Sparks being used on wide sweeps with pitch outs, or reverses, or double reverses. or delayed QB hand-offs. and he can also pass for a possible trick play.

By incorporating Sparks as a RB, you take some of the pressure off King. he would add another dimension to our running game. And unlike Fuller and Worship, he's actually a healthy resource. I like Sparks, and believe he has talent. Unfortunately, I like a lot of our receivers even more. I'm just trying to suggest a possible utilization of Sparks other than the typical response that he can play on special teams.
A couple things:

Sparks plays out wide while Moore plays inside at the slot.

Sparks has never played RB and doesn’t have the skill set to play RB. He has more of a chance seeing snaps in as a wildcat QB than as a RB.

Putting Sparks in at RB would take away snaps from more talented players at the position. I’d play Anthrop at RB given he played that position in high school before Sparks.

It just isnt realistic. It’s one thing to suggest Moore getting snaps as an actual RB lined up in the backfield (which we saw some last season). It’s another for an X/Z type of WR on the outside...it would be like suggesting David Bell take snaps at RB.

At some point like Taylor in basketball, coaches move on and start healthy players over more talented ones who always seem to have minor injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT