ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan

Nope just like other social warriors you're trying to make this about something that it's not. The people on this thread are concerned for and want success for Biggie. He has a legal problem and likely a bigger personal problem that we'd all hope he would be able to overcome and if even only through our thoughts and prayers would help him in any way.
my goodness...post 43 ya dense Christmas turd.

I think it is easy for those of us on the sidelines to judge when most don't know anything outside of what's in the article. It's important to remember that we don't know the whole story of what happened. Soundbites often spread quicker than the full story, especially when they paint someone in a negative light. Where was everyone when he was working to help the homeless communities in Fort Wayne, in Salt Lake City, in Portland? Let's not lose sight of the amazing things Caleb has done.

For those saying he should have stayed for another year or two.... he got his degree and graduated on time! Let's not lose sight of that. He is a member of the Purdue family.

I did hear from him today for the first time in a while. For that I am grateful. I didn't inquire about what happened because it's not my place. If and when he wants to talk about it, I am sure he will.

Thank you for being there for him. Please let him know how many Boilermakers are in his corner...

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I think it is easy for those of us on the sidelines to judge when most don't know anything outside of what's in the article. It's important to remember that we don't know the whole story of what happened. Soundbites often spread quicker than the full story, especially when they paint someone in a negative light. Where was everyone when he was working to help the homeless communities in Fort Wayne, in Salt Lake City, in Portland? Let's not lose sight of the amazing things Caleb has done.

For those saying he should have stayed for another year or two.... he got his degree and graduated on time! Let's not lose sight of that. He is a member of the Purdue family.

I did hear from him today for the first time in a while. For that I am grateful. I didn't inquire about what happened because it's not my place. If and when he wants to talk about it, I am sure he will.
Please know I was not judging Biggie when I said perhaps he should have stayed at Purdue another year or two. I realize he got his degree and that is great. I only mentioned it because while at Purdue he had a lot of structure and everything seemed to be going in a positive direction with his development as a player. I just wonder if he had stayed longer would he be in the predicament that he now finds himself. My biggest concern is the weight gain because that seems to indicate a problem with his motivation and his desire to continue to pursue his dream as a professional player. I have fond memories of Biggie's time as a Purdue player and I only want the best for him.

Please know I was not judging Biggie when I said perhaps he should have stayed at Purdue another year or two. I realize he got his degree and that is great. I only mentioned it because while at Purdue he had a lot of structure and everything seemed to be going in a positive direction with his development as a player. I just wonder if he had stayed longer would he be in the predicament that he now finds himself. My biggest concern is the weight gain because that seems to indicate a problem with his motivation and his desire to continue to pursue his dream as a professional player. I have fond memories of Biggie's time as a Purdue player and I only want the best for him.

It's amazing what each additional year of college does in the area of maturity.

Indiana has it out for successful black men? So you're saying there's a conspiracy by the police and the prosecutors to punish successful black men? That's funny stuff...

So you think it takes a conspiracy for white men to keep black men down?
Caleb didn't get arrested because he was a successful black man.
But you'd have to be a brain dead idiot to not see that racism exists in every aspect of our life at this point.
Your response suggests some things.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
So you think it takes a conspiracy for white men to keep black men down?
Caleb didn't get arrested because he was a successful black man.
But you'd have to be a brain dead idiot to not see that racism exists in every aspect of our life at this point.
Your response suggests some things.
Where in my post did I suggest racism doesn't exist? Let me ask you a question, oh genius who seems to know what my response suggests. Per my response, is there an effort by police and prosecutors to "have it out for successful black men"? Answer the question. If not STFU, because that's the ONLY thing my response refutes.

I called bullshit on a ridiculous statement. Because I did that doesn't make my statement or me racist. So you can shove your bullshit allegation up your @ss...

Last edited:
I’m still still concerned about his weight gain. That’s over 150 pounds in one year! That says he did nothing to try to stay in shape! I remember how hard it was for him to lose weight and get in shape his first year at Purdue. I also remember Tractor Traylor. After his first few years, all he wAs good for was 2-5 minute spurts! Playing professional sports requires a lot of work outside the sport.

I hope he has a second career in mind! Not every player has the personality to become a coach!

As I approach my 60th year on this earth, all I can say is that being an adult is very difficult. I know I made mistakes living in the Region, with the the little bit of disposable income I had, and if it wasn’t for luck, those mistakes could have really changed my life. I cannot imagine the additional bad decisions I could have made with millions in my bank account in my early 20’s, in a fast living environment and lifestyle where most are making bad decisions. Going from a significantly sheltered and protected place to that, may have most of us failing. Good luck changing things around Caleb. BoilerUp

It indicates a semi-retired millionaire coming home from Illinois.

Exactly. I do not care about this story at all.

1. Weed should be legal. Indiana as always is behind the times, literally every state surrounding us is on the path to legalization.
2. Running 3 lbs of weed across state lines to Indiana is not that profitable, especially for someone who has NBA money. He wasn't dealing. He was stocking up for a long winter lmao.
3. I feel like he doesn't really owe anything to anybody. He had a great college career, parlayed it into a pro contract (or two?), but it turns out that the league just didn't have a role for him with how offenses have evolved. If I were him I would also retire at age 23 and buy 3 lbs of weed.

He has gained 150 pounds. It is kind of a big deal for someone who had the opportunity he had

Weight gain and marijuana- connected? I really hope that he can turn it around as he had such a rough start and seems like a great person. Covid has created problems- loneliness, depression, etc that are very difficult for many.

Reactions: Purdue85
Exactly. I do not care about this story at all.

1. Weed should be legal. Indiana as always is behind the times, literally every state surrounding us is on the path to legalization.
2. Running 3 lbs of weed across state lines to Indiana is not that profitable, especially for someone who has NBA money. He wasn't dealing. He was stocking up for a long winter lmao.
3. I feel like he doesn't really owe anything to anybody. He had a great college career, parlayed it into a pro contract (or two?), but it turns out that the league just didn't have a role for him with how offenses have evolved. If I were him I would also retire at age 23 and buy 3 lbs of weed.

It is beyond alarming for anyone to gain that much weight, let alone someone who was playing in the NBA less than a year ago. The weight gain is far more worrisome than the marijuana, and my fear is that he won't be alive much longer on this trajectory.

Making this about marijuana laws, which I agree should be liberalized, is missing the more important aspect of this story.

Where in my post did I suggest racism doesn't exist? Let me ask you a question, oh genius who seems to know what my response suggests. Per my response, is there an effort by police and prosecutors to "have it out for successful black men"? Answer the question. If not STFU, because that's the ONLY thing my response refutes.

I called bullshit on a ridiculous statement. Because I did that doesn't make my statement or me racist. So you can shove your bullshit allegation up your @ss...
lol, truth always gets em riled

lol, truth always gets em riled
Who's them? I noticed you won't answer the question. So let me get this straight. It's OK to make ridiculous statements and then when someone calls out the statement as BS, you just throw out the race card? That how that works? There's nothing more pathetic and weak then aimlessly labeling someone as racist when you can't back up a claim...

Last edited:
23 seems too early to give up and retire. I dont care about the pot at all, but 415 is not healthy, and so pathetic for someone so gifted. He could play a decade in Europe. Looking forward to see him turn things around.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I'm predicting a Caleb Swanigan basketball comeback. Not NBA - that ship has left the port - but in Europe. We know the guy can do incredible things when he puts his mind and body to it.

How many of us on here did stupid things in our early 20's?

I have grave concerns about the weight gain. Because if he was close to being in shape last year, that would represent a gain in weight of over 100 pounds in 6 months. Even our football linemen don't gain weight that fast. They are lucky if they gain 50 pounds in one year. in my younger days without any exercising, and eating anything and everything i wanted, I gained about 10 pounds between the age of 20-30. To me that represents a total lack of healthy eating, and zero exercise.

as for the racist remarks, police don't go out looking for Blacks driving cars. What they look for is people driving cars suspiciously after 2 AM. if he was driving normaly, he wouldn't have drawn attention to himself.

I was stopped once for driving down the middle of the road at 2 AM. I explained to the officer it was the best time to shop at Kroger, and that there was a nest of racoons in the culvert. I even pointed out where the culvert was. I didn't want to accidently drive over the baby racoons. When he asked what i was drinking, I offered him my taco bell taco and a mountain dew and one of my ice cream drumsticks. . he informed me to drive safely home, avoid animals and place my ice cream in the freezer. it was the last time an officer ever bothered to stop me. I guess after I kept talking and rambling for 20 minutes, he was telling himself, why did I ever stop this guy?

I have grave concerns about the weight gain. Because if he was close to being in shape last year, that would represent a gain in weight of over 100 pounds in 6 months. Even our football linemen don't gain weight that fast. They are lucky if they gain 50 pounds in one year. in my younger days without any exercising, and eating anything and everything i wanted, I gained about 10 pounds between the age of 20-30. To me that represents a total lack of healthy eating, and zero exercise.

as for the racist remarks, police don't go out looking for Blacks driving cars. What they look for is people driving cars suspiciously after 2 AM. if he was driving normaly, he wouldn't have drawn attention to himself.

I was stopped once for driving down the middle of the road at 2 AM. I explained to the officer it was the best time to shop at Kroger, and that there was a nest of racoons in the culvert. I even pointed out where the culvert was. I didn't want to accidently drive over the baby racoons. When he asked what i was drinking, I offered him my taco bell taco and a mountain dew and one of my ice cream drumsticks. . he informed me to drive safely home, avoid animals and place my ice cream in the freezer. it was the last time an officer ever bothered to stop me. I guess after I kept talking and rambling for 20 minutes, he was telling himself, why did I ever stop this guy?
LOL or WOL,

I hope this is a sign of the Spirit of Christmases yet to come!!!

In all the years I have been on the forum, I do not post a lot. I make no claim to be a basketball or football wiz.

I played FB in HS and have coached wrestling and softball for my son's and daughter's teams.

I prefer to listen and learn from (or ignore) others.

Over the years I have come to be able to know many posters within a sentence or two. I was baffled by this post until I looked.

Simple, clear, funny, self effacing, not pre-ducking perceived attacks. I was totally perplexed.

Clearly a better post than I have seen and hopefully a sign of posts to come.

Merry Christmas, Bigs!!!

Reactions: Purdue85
I'm concerned about the weight gain but I understand how it could happen. Having fought weight gain all my 68 years and generally losing I suspect it's a case of depression eating. None of us really know how difficult it was for him to change his life to be the player he became at Purdue. We know he had prepared meals and an involved dietician. Food is one of the few substances that we can abuse that we can't live without. It's even worse if you truly like food. I'm guessing being on the road it was easy to stray from the regimented meals. His dreams were not being realized with his struggles to make a mark in the NBA. When he left the bubble I'm guessing he felt disappointment and possibly failure. He came from a youth of uncontrolled eating and had a body that would balloon quickly. When his future seemed uncertain and bleak he resorted to eating for comfort and likely it was mostly junk. Getting off that binge will not be easy but saving himself will be much easier now than as he ages.

This was actually a decent story. The self deprecation where we can just feel for the officer whos gotta listen to the rambling thinking, man just let the guy go and get me outta here.

Reactions: SIBoiler2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT