ADVERTISEMENT

Still supporting CMP

Has to be frustrating watching your team bow out early in the tourney every year. The high points have yielded nothing for the team. I have watched your team do well in the B1G for several years, but fail on the big stage. How much of this is on the style of play? It seems the B1G rewards those teams playing smash mouth, but when it comes to the tourney this all goes out the window and the teams playing that way fail.

Interested to see what the PU fans think…
I wouldn't even say we were very "smash mouth". We were more victims of it in the back court, particularly. In November and December our guards and forwards were getting to the basket in space. Eventually, teams adjusted to Edey and packed the lane which shut down any drives to the basket. From there, the weakness in outside shooting became apparent and never really went away. Eventually, teams also started getting physical with our young guards and finally just let everyone have whatever they wanted from the outside. Gillis had a game with 9 threes but otherwise, it was pretty paltry from the outside. Dealing with the press also became an issue as Smith, the freshman guard, is the only true ball handler on the team. It was concerning but I didn't think it would quite lead to the disaster of tonight.

...and Edey is so good, the team was still good enough to finish out the Big Ten title and tournament. I don't care if he was double-teamed all night, Edey vs. 2 is better odds than our 5-26 supporting cast from 3. I don't know what the players or coaches were thinking tonight.

Ironically, several years back when Purdue had a 2 or 3 seed I remember feeling relieved because I just knew we would be the first 1 to lose to a 16. We're lucky Virginia beat us to the punch.

I wouldn't even say we were very "smash mouth". We were more victims of it in the back court, particularly. In November and December our guards and forwards were getting to the basket in space. Eventually, teams adjusted to Edey and packed the lane which shut down any drives to the basket. From there, the weakness in outside shooting became apparent and never really went away. Eventually, teams also started getting physical with our young guards and finally just let everyone have whatever they wanted from the outside. Gillis had a game with 9 threes but otherwise, it was pretty paltry from the outside. Dealing with the press also became an issue as Smith, the freshman guard, is the only true ball handler on the team. It was concerning but I didn't think it would quite lead to the disaster of tonight.

...and Edey is so good, the team was still good enough to finish out the Big Ten title and tournament. I don't care if he was double-teamed all night, Edey vs. 2 is better odds than our 5-26 supporting cast from 3. I don't know what the players or coaches were thinking tonight.

Ironically, several years back when Purdue had a 2 or 3 seed I remember feeling relieved because I just knew we would be the first 1 to lose to a 16. We're lucky Virginia beat us to the punch.
If you could change something, what would it be?

But he needs to do something different. We flat out choked tonite.

Quit playing thru the low post, go get some better scorers at the 2 and 3 spots. Maybe shake up the coaching staff.

At this point, there is a national narrative that we always choke in the NCAA, and that really can’t be argued against.

And now it will become a crushing burden to every Purdue team moving forward until we break through to the Final Four.
Keep your head in the sand, I guess.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
If you could change something, what would it be?
I guess, overall, I would like to see a more adaptable approach in a generic sense. I suspect we will need to be able to do more than one thing on offense and defense if we're going to have success late in the season. We can't just be a team that sends everything through the post (but then can't or won't do so in a first round tournament game; Edey was 7 of only 11, but the team, as a whole was 5 for 26 from three!) and insists on playing only man-to-man defense at all times. None of this is Earth shattering and is probably why big men have disappeared in the NBA and the rest of college basketball (I think one of the reasons Purdue is so successful finding these big guys is probably because there aren't usually many suitors for them). Also, it would help if Painter would re-evaluate his strategy against full court pressure. There is a reason so many coaches advocate "attacking" it rather than just trying to squeak past the timeline before the ten second call comes (this problem goes back to the Keady years and is, as I understand it, an attempt to keep the pace of the game down). "Attacking" the press is harder, of course, when your only effective ball handler is a 6'0", 175 lb. freshman.

By the end of the season the last few years, it feels like everyone has adjusted to what we're doing and we're still focused on just doing what we do 'better'. That approach is great, overall, if you want to win a lot of games in a season, but it can be a bit too stifling when you need to win just one particular game, I think. Matt Painter is great at making a good strategy for winning over the long haul, but his single-minded approach can be a double-edged sword at times. In his post game press conference, Matt Painter referenced that they all needed to "work harder" - I can tell you that's not the answer. No one is outworking anyone at this level because everyone is giving it 100%. Someone on one of our forums suggested that it would be nice if Painter would trade "trying to be great at one thing in exchange for being pretty good at several things," so I don't think my observation is all that profound or uncommon.

I guess, overall, I would like to see a more adaptable approach in a generic sense. I suspect we will need to be able to do more than one thing on offense and defense if we're going to have success late in the season. We can't just be a team that sends everything through the post (but then can't or won't do so in a first round tournament game; Edey was 7 of only 11, but the team, as a whole was 5 for 26 from three!) and insists on playing only man-to-man defense at all times. None of this is Earth shattering and is probably why big men have disappeared in the NBA and the rest of college basketball (I think one of the reasons Purdue is so successful finding these big guys is probably because there aren't usually many suitors for them). Also, it would help if Painter would re-evaluate his strategy against full court pressure. There is a reason so many coaches advocate "attacking" it rather than just trying to squeak past the timeline before the ten second call comes (this problem goes back to the Keady years and is, as I understand it, an attempt to keep the pace of the game down). "Attacking" the press is harder, of course, when your only effective ball handler is a 6'0", 175 lb. freshman.

By the end of the season the last few years, it feels like everyone has adjusted to what we're doing and we're still focused on just doing what we do 'better'. That approach is great, overall, if you want to win a lot of games in a season, but it can be a bit too stifling when you need to win just one particular game, I think. Matt Painter is great at making a good strategy for winning over the long haul, but his single-minded approach can be a double-edged sword at times. In his post game press conference, Matt Painter referenced that they all needed to "work harder" - I can tell you that's not the answer. No one is outworking anyone at this level because everyone is giving it 100%. Someone on one of our forums suggested that it would be nice if Painter would trade "trying to be great at one thing in exchange for being pretty good at several things," so I don't think my observation is all that profound or uncommon.

Is that really what he said at the presser? I had to turn the TV off but that clearly demonstrates (at least to me) that he needs to be let go.

A 5'8" co-rec player (for example) can try all he wants but when the 6'6" athlete wants to press and play come crunch time... we know who will win. (Unless that 5'8" guy happens to be Nate Robinson but none of our guards from recent memory (outside of Ivey) have that level of athleticism)

Is that really what he said at the presser? I had to turn the TV off but that clearly demonstrates (at least to me) that he needs to be let go.

A 5'8" co-rec player (for example) can try all he wants but when the 6'6" athlete wants to press and play come crunch time... we know who will win. (Unless that 5'8" guy happens to be Nate Robinson but none of our guards from recent memory (outside of Ivey) have that level of athleticism)
It was one of the things he said, yes. From what I saw, it was mostly boiler plate kind of stuff:

"I was outcoached..."
"We were outplayed..."
"We had open shots that didn't fall..."
"We need to work harder..."

That doesn't, however, mean he won't make at least a few adjustments. He could just be saying that because he doesn't know what to say and he probably hasn't fully digested what the hell just happened.

I disagree, I think we got outworked last nite, the effort was not A+

You’re a loser if you still support Painter. Painter don’t let the door hit you in your sorry effing ass on the way out of town. Athletic department fire him pronto. Lack of in-game adjustments signals a very low basketball IQ!
I would say you are the loser here, go root for Houston.

Nobody except a few Purdue fans care what he did in Nov and Dec. March is what matters and Painter is terrible in March.
Clearly, it's now too late to fire Painter. He's already cemented us into the history books with that loss. That loss will be highlighted every single year forever at the start of the tourney now. It will be brought up forever.

Two simple things:
1. Have a zone defense in your hip pocket so you can play it when needed. If the coaching staff did not look at FDU and at least think that a zone might be effective, shame on them. Playing a zone is not a comment on a coach's masculinity.
2. Make in-game adjustments to get touches for your best player, who was also the only player capable of scoring. Lack of touches for Edey during the last 10 minutes last night was inexcusable.
Bonus thing - send these guys to one of those Navy Seal type training camps. They need to learn to perform under mental duress. Player were absolutely afraid late in the second half last night. FDU was literally daring MG to shoot. He wanted no part of it. Quite embarrassing.

Two simple things:
1. Have a zone defense in your hip pocket so you can play it when needed. If the coaching staff did not look at FDU and at least think that a zone might be effective, shame on them. Playing a zone is not a comment on a coach's masculinity.
2. Make in-game adjustments to get touches for your best player, who was also the only player capable of scoring. Lack of touches for Edey during the last 10 minutes last night was inexcusable.
Bonus thing - send these guys to one of those Navy Seal type training camps. They need to learn to perform under mental duress. Player were absolutely afraid late in the second half last night. FDU was literally daring MG to shoot. He wanted no part of it. Quite embarrassing.
FDU decided that Edey was not going to beat them. They sagged and collapsed on him every time he touched the ball. He seldom got deep touches, and when he did it worked. Pressing and burning clock kept us from probing much. By the time we got the ball up, time was short. Painter had absolutely no answer for their speed. None. FDU clearly watched tape and knew exactly what to do. This is what happens when you play one way all year and never evolve. "This is what we do" will never be successful in the NCAA tourney.

Totally get it and from what I have seen that makes sense

Two simple things:
This. And go buy a couple of bucket-getters in the portal.

Quit playing thru the low post, go get some better scorers at the 2 and 3 spots. Maybe shake up the coaching staff.

At this point, there is a national narrative that we always choke in the NCAA, and that really can’t be argued against.

And now it will become a crushing burden to every Purdue team moving forward until we break through to the Final Four.
How many #1 teams have lost to 15 and 15 seeds back to back?

Painter won’t ever change… heck, he threw his team under the bus after the Penn St win last week for not being able to break the press. He needs to look in the mirror when it comes to coaching. Even Steve Lappas, who announced last night said we need to attack the press, which is the only time we had success last night. Painter never saw it and didn’t adjust. We kept trying to play in the 1/2 court. Steve also said what everyone else already knows is that painter wont play zone, which would have been effective against a team that couldn’t shoot 3’s. Instead we gave them points and rebounds inside most of the night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT