ADVERTISEMENT

Still supporting CMP

New Pal Boiler

All-American
Jun 30, 2010
But he needs to do something different. We flat out choked tonite.

Quit playing thru the low post, go get some better scorers at the 2 and 3 spots. Maybe shake up the coaching staff.

At this point, there is a national narrative that we always choke in the NCAA, and that really can’t be argued against.

And now it will become a crushing burden to every Purdue team moving forward until we break through to the Final Four.

Quit playing thru the low post, go get some better scorers at the 2 and 3 spots. Maybe shake up the coaching staff.

At this point, there is a national narrative that we always choke in the NCAA, and that really can’t be argued against.

And now it will become a crushing burden to every Purdue team moving forward until we break through to the Final Four.
For certain that offensive assistant needs to go. Damn keystone cops.

Hate to tell you this, but the 'shake up' has happen before with the same results. One denominator and it's Painter.

I agree with everything else.

I agree.

Imo...CMP is a great coach for B10 championships & being competitive in the B10.

CMP based on his history, might be the worst NCAAT coach in the country. Yes, he needs to do something different.
What? I don't know.

Totally agree....if you look at Northwestern, they went out and brought in a great defensive guy and I think they're going a long way in this tourney. Personally, I'm tired of seeing the play cards every time down the court, and I'd love to see someone come in and teach zone or a great match up zone.

To play a team of two frosh combined with a team of Juniors and win 29 when you were picked to finish towards the bottom has to say a lot about Painter's ability. Losing Shrew's hurt, as witnessed what PSU has done this year. Painter needs to stay, but coaching changes are needed.

Painter is old school and stubborn, not a winning combo. He got beat by a rookie coach. Painter is a very good coach, but he needs an intervention or something, to open up his thought process.
I agree he is a good coach. What I want to hear from him is he realizes that B1G success doesn't translate to march success. Commit to making changes both on offense and defense. Be open minded to different ideas.

I agree.

Imo...CMP is a great coach for B10 championships & being competitive in the B10.

CMP based on his history, might be the worst NCAAT coach in the country. Yes, he needs to do something different.
What? I don't know.
Hate to say it, but a five out offense you need a zone to keep edey from having to guard perimeter never will happen with Painter though.

Totally agree....if you look at Northwestern, they went out and brought in a great defensive guy and I think they're going a long way in this tourney. Personally, I'm tired of seeing the play cards every time down the court, and I'd love to see someone come in and teach zone or a great match up zone.

To play a team of two frosh combined with a team of Juniors and win 29 when you were picked to finish towards the bottom has to say a lot about Painter's ability. Losing Shrew's hurt, as witnessed what PSU has done this year. Painter needs to stay, but coaching changes are needed.
Today, X was down double digits against Kennesaw St, Miller went zone for a bit, and it took Kennesaw out of their offensive rhythm, and X came back.

Today, X was down double digits against Kennesaw St, Miller went zone for a bit, and it took Kennesaw out of their offensive rhythm, and X came back.
Nope, changing defenses never has an impact. Just ask all the experts on here during the season when that is brought up. You'll get all these long winded responses trying to justify what CMP does on defense. Those same people never watch anything but B1G games. They don't know any better,

'We'? 'Tonight'?

Its more than tonight, its every tourney except when Carsen just went off and bailed him out.

Many folks on this forum, during the game, offered many thoughts that seemed more like common sense re: game management. Its not really that hard.

Good grief, some of you keep touching the stove even though its hot and you keep burning yourself.

'We'? 'Tonight'?

Its more than tonight, its every tourney except when Carsen just went off and bailed him out.

Many folks on this forum, during the game, offered many thoughts that seemed more like common sense re: game management. Its not really that hard.

Good grief, some of you keep touching the stove even though its hot and you keep burning yourself.
This Purdue team CHOKED. And that’s ultimately Painters fault and his responsibility to fix the underlying issue.

Why? Because he wins in Nov and Dec?
No one cares. March is what matters and he’s the worst tourney coach in the country.
Maybe he’ll resign instead of getting fired.
I would say he is a top 25 tourney coach in the NCAAs. Look at the number or sweet 16's and see how all compare.

• Haha
Reactions: purduepat1969

So at what point do you say a change needs to be made? Honest to god question. Like..what metric?

'We'? 'Tonight'?

How many times has he been in Sweet 16?

No they would have hit more 3's.
No way to know that. Most of their 3's were from a guy being guarded by Edey 20 feet from the basket. A zone would not have Edey trying to get out to guard that shot. We were never going to see that, but to say as a matter of fact that it wouldn't work is wrong.

Reactions: Poprudy
But he needs to do something different...

It's going to be interesting to see how he reacts. He's grown so much through his failures in the past. That's a big reason why I've been a Painter supporter. I hope he has an honest evaluation of the continued losses in the NCAAT. Based on his comments this season about how breaking the press is easy (and yet the team still fails at it), it's the first time I'm honestly afraid he thinks he already knows everything.

I think he absolutely got this team to overachieve until the NCAAT. They won the B1G by multiple games and then followed it up with a B1G tourney win...I don't think they had any business accomplishing that (and I enjoyed it immensely). Yet, it's another Painter team choking in the NCAAT. He needs to have an honest accounting of how that happens.

How many times has he been in Sweet 16?
So is this the threshold of greatness. No, he's had us #1 twice which was a Purdue record and then gave us another record by the only team to get beat by a #15 & #16 in those same seasons.

He gives us hope and then the tourney comes

Reactions: titaniumbolt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT