ADVERTISEMENT

Still supporting CMP

Yes, and something is making these teams tighten up in the tournament. He needs to identify that and fix it. Go get an alpha like Carsen, whatever.
I think that's a Colvin, but we need multiple Colvin's. It takes a team effort and we had to many scared guards/players out there tonight.

@Travis Miller

Can we get this IU troll off the board?
You keep calling me an IU troll when I have been saying since the summer time:

1) we need better guards
2) CMP lost me with the loss to Little Rock and confirmed it with the N. Texas loss
3) our freshmen will not cut it

If you consider anyone who makes legitimate points - that literally bore out in every way tonight - an IU troll, I can't save you.

Last edited:
It's going to be interesting to see how he reacts. He's grown so much through his failures in the past. That's a big reason why I've been a Painter supporter. I hope he has an honest evaluation of the continued losses in the NCAAT. Based on his comments this season about how breaking the press is easy (and yet the team still fails at it), it's the first time I'm honestly afraid he thinks he already knows everything.

I think he absolutely got this team to overachieve until the NCAAT. They won the B1G by multiple games and then followed it up with a B1G tourney win...I don't think they had any business accomplishing that (and I enjoyed it immensely). Yet, it's another Painter team choking in the NCAAT. He needs to have an honest accounting of how that happens.
This is an excellent post. I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Some on here were so "proud" of CMP when he gave a smart ass answer to a reporter this year who asked him about never playing zone. I was not impressed and said so here. I thought it showed an immature attitude and suggested he knew everything. I'm hopeful we will see a more contrite CMP after this. Unfortunately, when you have no pressure on your job, that isn't as likely to happen.

This is an excellent post. I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Some on here were so "proud" of CMP when he gave a smart ass answer to a reporter this year who asked him about never playing zone. I was not impressed and said so here. I thought it showed an immature attitude and suggested he knew everything. I'm hopeful we will see a more contrite CMP after this. Unfortunately, when you have no pressure on your job, that isn't as likely to happen.
I disagree with much of what you say, but you are spot on here. It taught me a lot and I honestly thought I had him figured out.

I truly have no Idea how anyone can stand by CMP at this point... This was always going to happen under CMP. Always... I hope Purdue is never a 1 seed again as long as he is coaching. The elite 8 run is the exception to the rule. Similar to Crean and what he did with Wade at Marquette... His celing is sweet 16... The losses his team have had in the tourney over the years are completely unacceptable and 100% on him.

But he needs to do something different. We flat out choked tonite.

Quit playing thru the low post, go get some better scorers at the 2 and 3 spots. Maybe shake up the coaching staff.

At this point, there is a national narrative that we always choke in the NCAA, and that really can’t be argued against.

And now it will become a crushing burden to every Purdue team moving forward until we break through to the Final Four.
Sort of ageee, however, guys had wide open shots because of the low post, get guys to make them.

Yes, and something is making these teams tighten up in the tournament. He needs to identify that and fix it. Go get an alpha like Carsen, whatever.
They tighten up because they are not athletic and everything speeds up in the tourney. Not being able to break a press mid-season showed there's a serious lack of athleticism from our guards, which we sort of knew heading into the season. Someone tweeted days ago how 1/2 seeds that are unranked prior to the season rarely go far in the tourney. That's because those teams lack the athletic talent and guards that will ultimately improve throughout the year and turn it on come tourney time. Painter's reliance on interior play vs exterior hides this throughout the regular season. This pattern won't change.

I truly have no Idea how anyone can stand by CMP at this point... This was always going to happen under CMP. Always... I hope Purdue is never a 1 seed again as long as he is coaching. The elite 8 run is the exception to the rule. Similar to Crean and what he did with Wade at Marquette... His celing is sweet 16... The losses his team have had in the tourney over the years are completely unacceptable and 100% on him.
Totally agree. The only way you can support CMP is if you accept regular season relevance and have zero expectations for tourney time.

They tighten up because they are not athletic and everything speeds up in the tourney. Not being able to break a press mid-season showed there's a serious lack of athleticism from our guards, which we sort of knew heading into the season. Someone tweeted days ago how 1/2 seeds that are unranked prior to the season rarely go far in the tourney. That's because those teams lack the athletic talent and guards that will ultimately improve throughout the year and turn it on come tourney time. Painter's reliance on interior play vs exterior hides this throughout the regular season. This pattern won't change.
I think it's clear now that we can get through the overrated Big Ten conference, every year, hiding the fact that the guard play in nearly the entire conference is subpar.

We need more explosive players at the 1-4.

Imagine making this post after the last 3 years.

You know what that makes people like OP? A cult follower. Out of their mind certifiably crazy like any cultist.

So happy you are proud of it too

Reactions: titaniumbolt
You keep calling me an IU troll when I have been saying since the summer time:

1) we need better guards
2) CMP lost me with the lost to Little Rock and confirmed it with the N. Texas loss
3) our freshmen will not cut it

If you consider anyone who makes legitimate points - that literally bore out in every way tonight - an IU troll, I can't save you.
You were defending that thug Xavier Johnson at every opportunity.

Quit playing thru the low post, go get some better scorers at the 2 and 3 spots. Maybe shake up the coaching staff.

At this point, there is a national narrative that we always choke in the NCAA, and that really can’t be argued against.

And now it will become a crushing burden to every Purdue team moving forward until we break through to the Final Four.
Lol, quit playing through the low post? Edey didn’t touch the ball in the last 12 mins. The problem was that we didn’t play though the low post enough.

Lol, quit playing through the low post? Edey didn’t touch the ball in the last 12 mins. The problem was that we didn’t play though the low post enough.
My point is that the entire offense is throw it inside, and if they double, kick it to stand still jump shooters. If they take Edey away with 3 guys, and our shooters choke, we’re screwed. That system doesn’t work in the NCAA.

Has to be frustrating watching your team bow out early in the tourney every year. The high points have yielded nothing for the team. I have watched your team do well in the B1G for several years, but fail on the big stage. How much of this is on the style of play? It seems the B1G rewards those teams playing smash mouth, but when it comes to the tourney this all goes out the window and the teams playing that way fail.

Interested to see what the PU fans think…

Yeah he did. As a guy who watched every IU game when Knight was there, I know. Didn't play it often, but he did play it on occasion when the change was needed.
I don't watch a bunch of IU ball but I do recall IU playing a 3-2 zone at Northwestern when they had Evan Eschmeyer and a bunch of three point shooters. Northwestern had just beaten Purdue a week or two before the game and I remember screaming for Gene to try a zone but he refused and Purdue lost. My interest was piqued watching IU play there and Bob Knight resisted but finally did go into a 3-2 zone at some point in the second half and IU pulled it out. I recall Knight being pissed about having to resort to it but he did what was necessary to win that night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT