ADVERTISEMENT

Still supporting CMP

Painter won’t ever change… heck, he threw his team under the bus after the Penn St win last week for not being able to break the press. He needs to look in the mirror when it comes to coaching. Even Steve Lappas, who announced last night said we need to attack the press, which is the only time we had success last night. Painter never saw it and didn’t adjust. We kept trying to play in the 1/2 court. Steve also said what everyone else already knows is that painter wont play zone, which would have been effective against a team that couldn’t shoot 3’s. Instead we gave them points and rebounds inside most of the night.
Agree 100%.

But I think he is somewhat limited by his personnel. When I first heard we were starting 2 unheralded true freshmen at guard last fall, this type of NCAA is pretty much what I was expecting, though I never dreamed we’d somehow get a 1-4 seed.

Reactions: indyogb and Poprudy
Painter won’t ever change… heck, he threw his team under the bus after the Penn St win last week for not being able to break the press. He needs to look in the mirror when it comes to coaching. Even Steve Lappas, who announced last night said we need to attack the press, which is the only time we had success last night. Painter never saw it and didn’t adjust. We kept trying to play in the 1/2 court. Steve also said what everyone else already knows is that painter wont play zone, which would have been effective against a team that couldn’t shoot 3’s. Instead we gave them points and rebounds inside most of the night.
100%. Its not that hard when Lappas and a group of anon keyboard warriors like us can literally figure it out off the top of our heads. CMP has clear mental blocks, he's like trying to rationalize with that drunk roommate...at the end of the day, its both impossible and maddening.

Name another coach who hasn't made a Final Four and lost to a 13, 15, and 16 seed. I'll wait.
Well, you have to make the damn tourney. Imagine your team(IU) consistently not making the tournament( or 1 win in 7 years). People whom say "I would rather not make the tourney than lose to a 13, 15 or a 16" sounds pathetic to me. Ask donors, AD's or most fan bases. This is why IU has been constantly hiring and firing coaches and it's not sustainable or efficient. Ask ND when they kept paying coaches after they left. RMK and Holtz aren't coming through their doors.

Yes, I'm not happy with any loss. The Virginia loss still bugs me more than the 3 you named. The B1G is a weak conference and has been for 20+ years.

Well, you have to make the damn tourney. Imagine your team(IU) consistently not making the tournament( or 1 win in 7 years). People whom say "I would rather not make the tourney than lose to a 13, 15 or a 16" sounds pathetic to me. Ask donors, AD's or most fan bases. This is why IU has been constantly hiring and firing coaches and it's not sustainable or efficient. Ask ND when they kept paying coaches after they left. RMK and Holtz aren't coming through their doors.

Yes, I'm not happy with any loss. The Virginia loss still bugs me more than the 3 you named. The B1G is a weak conference and has been for 20+ years.
Purdue grad and nobody hates IU more than me, my friend. Wouldn't you have liked to see the #1 seed dominate the #16 seed that shouldn't have even made the tournament save a technicality, rather than making more excuses for failure?

Purdue grad and nobody hates IU more than me, my friend. Wouldn't you have liked to see the #1 seed dominate the #16 seed that shouldn't have even made the tournament save a technicality, rather than making more excuses for failure?
No excuses at all. I just assumed you were an IU fan/troll for saying Purdont. That is more in the wheelhouse of an IU fan/troll along with your avg degree comment 🤔

I'm 100% sick of the same story. I just don't get the appeal of so many IU or Woodson fans that mimic Purdue.

I’m sorry to take the other side on this. I would rather had not made the tournament than to lose to a team that was actually worse than a 16 seed. This is an embarrassment to all associated with Purdue basketball and it’s fan base. Purdue basketball will forever be cemented with that tournament loss.

I’m sorry to take the other side on this. I would rather had not made the tournament than to lose to a team that was actually worse than a 16 seed. This is an embarrassment to all associated with Purdue basketball and it’s fan base. Purdue basketball will forever be cemented with that tournament loss.
You may feel that way, but that tells me your entire season went to crap, less exposure
with fans through the year, recruiting would take a dip and donors would take notice.

So, instead of working on 10% of correcting what you need to fix/correct. You would rather work on a much higher percentage? No way! That's not efficient for any program.

Let's take IU as an example. Davis, Sampson, Crean and Miller. That's not efficient and only one found real success ( with RMK's players , one put them on probation and the other 2 found them in holes they're working to get out of. Now, let's back that up with Virginia. They won a championship, have still recruited well and consistent at the top of their conference.
Villanova is probably another example. Sustainability is a much easier fix. IMO

Agree 100%.

But I think he is somewhat limited by his personnel. When I first heard we were starting 2 unheralded true freshmen at guard last fall, this type of NCAA is pretty much what I was expecting, though I never dreamed we’d somehow get a 1-4 seed.
His personal is on him… he has stated many times he recruits players that fit his system. If his system doesn’t work, that’s on him.

You may feel that way, but that tells me your entire season went to crap, less exposure
with fans through the year, recruiting would take a dip and donors would take notice.

So, instead of working on 10% of correcting what you need to fix/correct. You would rather work on a much higher percentage? No way! That's not efficient for any program.

Let's take IU as an example. Davis, Sampson, Crean and Miller. That's not efficient and only one found real success ( with RMK's players , one put them on probation and the other 2 found them in holes they're working to get out of. Now, let's back that up with Virginia. They won a championship, have still recruited well and consistent at the top of their conference.
Villanova is probably another example. Sustainability is a much easier fix. IMO
I wouldn’t have felt that way had they lost as a 2nd seed. Losing to this team is a devastating loss and will probably haunt the program for some time. I agree with you on about fixing the team that needs to be changed. I wish and hope this gets done.

Why do you always think that any recruit that says no to Painter is because Painter wouldn’t pay them.
I think you believe your own convictions a little too much.
Because he and the staff have been very open about not using NIL money up front in recruiting. “We may not be the place for you” and all that. I’ve heard CMP say it, even heard Bloom say it.

Because he and the staff have been very open about not using NIL money up front in recruiting. “We may not be the place for you” and all that. I’ve heard CMP say it, even heard Bloom say it.
Then he’s putting Purdue at-a competitive disadvantage. You either adapt or you get left behind.
I could care less if Purdue wants to pay players. They’re at school to play basketball, make it worth their while.

Then he’s putting Purdue at-a competitive disadvantage. You either adapt or you get left behind.
I could care less if Purdue wants to pay players. They’re at school to play basketball, make it worth their while.
We agree there. We’ll see what happens.

FDU decided that Edey was not going to beat them. They sagged and collapsed on him every time he touched the ball. He seldom got deep touches, and when he did it worked. Pressing and burning clock kept us from probing much. By the time we got the ball up, time was short. Painter had absolutely no answer for their speed. None. FDU clearly watched tape and knew exactly what to do. This is what happens when you play one way all year and never evolve. "This is what we do" will never be successful in the NCAA tourney.
Couldn't agree more. Left Smith in too long when he struggled with turnovers.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT