ADVERTISEMENT

Smith - Keller

Trying to compare Smith to a past Purdue player. I'm thinking Billy Keller. Great point guard and could score. He played in the pros about 10 to 12 years. Would have scored a lot more, but played with Mount.

Asked that earlier to @Piratephil who claimed to see Keller. No answer. Thought that would be interesting. I know my Dad talked about that team, but it's usually Mount that gets all the airtime.

Keller was a 5'10" Indiana Mr. Basketball point guard. Braden is 2 inches taller 56 years later. I am old and local enough to have enjoyed watching both play.

Keller was short, strong and stocky. Dead-eye shooter when he could square up. You bet he had an edge, but could also play with (and around) guys like pure-shooter Mount and Herm Gilliam.

Braden came with an edge & has certainly lived up to it. One of those guys (like Cardinal) who get into opponents' heads.

Like your comparison, SI!

I'm old enough to remember watching Billy Keller. The 69 Boilermakers were a tremendous team - Keller, Mount, Herm Gilliam (a 6'3" forward), George Faerber, Chuck Bavis, Jerry Johnson. Until Bavis foot injury, they had a real chance to do something in the NCAA finals. I guess losing to UCLA was nothing to sneeze at.

Mount could score a ton but played no defense. Keller, a little sparkplug at 5'10" , was a really solid PG and probably would have been the leading score if not for Mount.

Hey, does anybody remember Jim Rowinski? He was about the same size as Wes Unseld (6'7", about 250#). Looked like the Hulk playing center. You couldn't move him off the block no matter how hard you tried.

I've compared him to Keller frequently. Both play/played with a bit of an edge.
Both were undersized scoring point guards who took charge of their teams. And yes, both played with an edge. Braden is a better all-around athlete. Keller was not known to be able to dunk the ball.

Another comparable guard would be Steve Reid.

Like it. Braden Smith definitely a higher ceiling for offensive production.....but Reid was a good shooter - and excellent FT shooter (when a chair is not involved....haha) probably less mistakes. Reid also had some memorable moments with The Most Hated Rival under Lute Olsen as well. :)

Reactions: Boiler8285
Steve Reid was at the free throw line when Knight fired the chair.

Yes.......

Indiana-University-Head-Coach-Bob-Knight-Throws-Chair-On-Court.gif

Reactions: Boiler8285
Keller was a 5'10" Indiana Mr. Basketball point guard. Braden is 2 inches taller 56 years later. I am old and local enough to have enjoyed watching both play.

Keller was short, strong and stocky. Dead-eye shooter when he could square up. You bet he had an edge, but could also play with (and around) guys like pure-shooter Mount and Herm Gilliam.

Braden came with an edge & has certainly lived up to it. One of those guys (like Cardinal) who get into opponents' heads.

Like your comparison, SI!
I think Braden is actually closer to 5’10 than 6 foot 😂

Another comparable guard would be Steve Reid.
Yes, that is who came to my mind as he was more my timeframe. Carson Cunningham is another comparison, but without the hair.

Yes, that is who came to my mind as he was more my timeframe. Carson Cunningham is another comparison, but without the hair.
As crazy as this might sound, I think that the closest comp under Painter is Carsen Edwards with the difference being that Edwards was a scorer who added some play making ability while Smith is a pass first player who is becoming a scorer. Like Carsen, Smith is a great shooter on the move with great range, which makes him extremely difficult to guard. Both are/were a nightmare for defenses coming off of ball screens, with the ability to score on all three levels. Both are a bit undersized, but are strong with good length. Like Carsen, Braden is a confident leader who raises the play of his teammates.

As crazy as this might sound, I think that the closest comp under Painter is Carsen Edwards with the difference being that Edwards was a scorer who added some play making ability while Smith is a pass first player who is becoming a scorer. Like Carsen, Smith is a great shooter on the move with great range, which makes him extremely difficult to guard. Both are/were a nightmare for defenses coming off of ball screens, with the ability to score on all three levels. Both are a bit undersized, but are strong with good length. Like Carsen, Braden is a confident leader who raises the play of his teammates.
Smith is def becoming a scorer and hope he can keep that up all year. Not sure his range is quite that deep yet, but I don’t doubt it will get deeper throughout his career!

I also see a lot of Carsen's game in Smith as well. Just their quickness with the ball and the way they can shoot off the dribble/finish around the hoop. I wonder how many points Smith could average a game if he had the shoot first mentality like Carsen (Not that we want or need that). Smith and Loyers senior year should be a fun team. Similar style to the 18-19 team, but better skilled/athletic players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT