ADVERTISEMENT

Sleepers sux

z_one

True Freshman
Dec 27, 2007
The "Sleepers" youtube program is about as vapid a presentation that I have ever watched. Those guys know nothing more than the average fan. The one guy basically trashed Painter essentially calling him a liar. The other gave him some props for being honest and then trashes him by saying it's a "he said he said". Ridiculous

Last edited:
The "Sleepers" youtube program is about as vapid a presentation that I have every watched. Those guys know nothing more than the average fan. The one guy basically trashed Painter essentially calling him a liar. The other gave him some props for being honest and then trashes him by saying it's a "he said he said". Ridiculous
I've never liked them much and put them right in line with Dan Dakich... they said postive things everyone once in a while, but eventually their true selves come out and make them unbearable. They do whatever is "popular" to get clicks... but rarely is based in any real substance.

Reactions: z_one
The "Sleepers" youtube program is about as vapid a presentation that I have every watched. Those guys know nothing more than the average fan. The one guy basically trashed Painter essentially calling him a liar. The other gave him some props for being honest and then trashes him by saying it's a "he said he said". Ridiculous

I personally like having an outlet that produces content daily to scratch the B1G basketball itch if I need to.

I don't always agree with them, but have always enjoyed hearing other CBB/B1G fans views of Purdue and the rest of the conference and CBB as a whole.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
I've never liked them much and put them right in line with Dan Dakich... they said postive things everyone once in a while, but eventually their true selves come out and make them unbearable. They do whatever is "popular" to get clicks... but rarely is based in any real substance.
Oh for gods sake. Dakich? These guys are nothing like him. I have no idea how someone could watch sleepers and be reminded of a pos like Dan Dakich

They are average guys with a focus on the B10 and I believe at least one of them played college ball.

The vast majority of the time they are very positive for Purdue and Painter. One of them thinks Painter told it exactly how it went down, the other is more skeptical it went down exactly that way.

Both think Painter should have answered the question in a way that was less negative towards Catchings. Now I don't think I agree with that. Painter was honest but not brutally so. He could have been way worse.

But that doesn't make them horrible. The bottom line is they sold us as a final four team all season. People watch them. Recruits probably watch them.

They are hyping up our practice videos now too. Talking about how great we are going to be.

I'll take that ton of positive presentation over one disagreement on how to handle a situation no one is going to be talking about much further.

They are average guys with a focus on the B10 and I believe at least one of them played college ball.

The vast majority of the time they are very positive for Purdue and Painter. One of them thinks Painter told it exactly how it went down, the other is more skeptical it went down exactly that way.

Both think Painter should have answered the question in a way that was less negative towards Catchings. Now I don't think I agree with that. Painter was honest but not brutally so. He could have been way worse.

But that doesn't make them horrible. The bottom line is they sold us as a final four team all season. People watch them. Recruits probably watch them.

They are hyping up our practice videos now too. Talking about how great we are going to be.

I'll take that ton of positive presentation over one disagreement on how to handle a situation no one is going to be talking about much further.
Not the first time they have trashed us. They talk us up and then once in a while they show you how they really feel. I think they were very uncomplimentary about Purdue over the Catchings situation. Less would have been more in that situation. They were pretty underhanded prior to the Illinois game last year. Then they tried to 'schmooze' boiler fans after Purdue handed them an L in Champaign. I was done with them after that for several months. Caught the Catchings BS and felt like it was more of the same. To each his own. I won't waste my time with them anymore. I thought it was very insulting to Painter.

Reactions: pboiler18 and BBG
Not the first time they have trashed us. They talk us up and then once in a while they show you how they really feel. I think they were very uncomplimentary about Purdue over the Catchings situation. Less would have been more in that situation. They were pretty underhanded prior to the Illinois game last year. Then they tried to 'schmooze' boiler fans after Purdue handed them an L in Champaign. I was done with them after that for several months. Caught the Catchings BS and felt like it was more of the same. To each his own. I won't waste my time with them anymore. I thought it was very insulting to Painter.
I listened quite often but am to the point where I will cut way back. I think their takes are no better than any other average basketball fan. Some I agree with and some I don’t. What I dislike is the snarky condescending tone of presentation insisting their takes are so enlightened. I can take ‘em or leave them.

Agree

They didn't "trash" us this time.

The "Sleepers" youtube program is about as vapid a presentation that I have ever watched. Those guys know nothing more than the average fan. The one guy basically trashed Painter essentially calling him a liar. The other gave him some props for being honest and then trashes him by saying it's a "he said he said". Ridiculous
Has Catchings or anyone else refuted Painter's version? If so, I missed it.

If they think he's lying, it's because they would not have handled the situation the way Painter did. They would have made promises. Anything to keep a supposed one-and-done in the fold. Who wouldn't (in their minds)?

Reactions: z_one and BBG
I would say that explains about 95% of sports discussion channels out there.

Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG
If you don't like them, don't listen to them?

I don't always agree with them, and this is one of those instances, but they aren't controversial or clickbaity just for the sake of engagement. They even say that they're entertainment as much as actual sports content, so you really need to take it in through that lens

I don't always agree with them, and this is one of those instances, but they aren't controversial or clickbaity just for the sake of engagement. They even say that they're entertainment as much as actual sports content, so you really need to take it in through that lens
Agreed. I really enjoy watching their content, and they feel objective, so I don’t like the hate they are getting from Purdue fans. Doesn’t put us in the best light hating someone just because they disagree with us

Calling Painter a liar isn't trashing us? Sure seems like it to me! You might want to listen to what they said again. Not believing someone is calling them a liar.
He didn't call Painter a liar. In fact, their next video they specifically said "we aren't calling Painter a liar." You can think one side isn't the whole exact story without thinking someone is lying. They could think Painter simplified it for example. It was a couple of sentences not a detailed run through.

I believe at least one of them played college ball.
At a very low level and he wasn't very good. The other one looks like he's never played sports in his life. They know less about Purdue than the average fan on this board and they are Michigan fans I believe so I don't think they are very objective when it comes to us either. At least they weren't before I stopped giving them my time.

He didn't call Painter a liar. In fact, their next video they specifically said "we aren't calling Painter a liar." You can think one side isn't the whole exact story without thinking someone is lying. They could think Painter simplified it for example. It was a couple of sentences not a detailed run through.
Not using those words but he said he didn't believe him. What is the difference? Anyway, to each their own. I won't bother listening to them.

Reactions: TC4THREE
If you're going to hate on the Sleepers opinions you should be hating on their takes that Purdue is likely top 4/5 in the BIG next season, that's insane.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
If you're going to hate on the Sleepers opinions you should be hating on their takes that Purdue is likely top 4/5 in the BIG next season, that's insane.
lmaoooo. Your takes are always so awful. You’re worse than sleepers. Do you even watch college basketball?

Is that how life works? If you disagree with someone about one topic, you must disagree with them about all topics? That's insane.
He needs to start a podcast titled “mid takes, by middawg”.

He’s a coward though. Just comments once every 7 months and then doesn’t comment back…only to come back on here and provide us with one of his very “mid” takes.

Purdue has been one of the main teams they cover for the past year. They also continue to be more complimentary than every other outside media member. Let’s chill with this. Let the kanon catchings thing go away move on with our current team, which looks very good.
Why ‘chill’? I agree with the opinion that those guys are clowns.

Reactions: TC4THREE and z_one
Agreed. I really enjoy watching their content, and they feel objective, so I don’t like the hate they are getting from Purdue fans. Doesn’t put us in the best light hating someone just because they disagree with us
They are pretty complementary to Purdue, but there is nothing objective about anything that they do. Everything is aimed at clicks. I respect the business model, but their takes are mostly moronic.

Agree with this, they are there to provide entertainment and gather clicks and subscribers. If you look at it through that lens they are fine, but there’s nothing informed about what they do.

Last edited:

Good post. I personally think they are clowns, but they have generally been pretty complementary of Purdue. Probably discussed elsewhere but when they did their best case scenario for Purdue, they had Braden as NPOY and Purdue winning a national championship this year.

I'm not going to listen to them because they don't know any more than what I can get here. You like them? Fine. It's basically gossip. I don't care for gossip. The way they covered the Catchings situation was pathetic at best. Their veiled support of Purdue is simply for click bait and their underlying bias is evident.

Last edited:
This is what opinion shows do. The fact that they talk about Purdue more than any other program is really what matters. (Not to mention that Brian Waddell has been quite complimentary of Purdue as a whole, and Carter has been mostly positive about Purdue, as well). It’s a whole lot better than being the program that nobody cares about.

This is what opinion shows do. The fact that they talk about Purdue more than any other program is really what matters. (Not to mention that Brian Waddell has been quite complimentary of Purdue as a whole, and Carter has been mostly positive about Purdue, as well). It’s a whole lot better than being the program that nobody cares about.
I guess your point is that any attention is good? I can see what you mean. I just don't like their slant on things. Particularly the Catchings episode. I was really put off on some of their comments prior to the UI game last year as well. That is what really soured me on them. Catchings was just the capper.

I guess your point is that any attention is good? I can see what you mean. I just don't like their slant on things. Particularly the Catchings episode. I was really put off on some of their comments prior to the UI game last year as well. That is what really soured me on them. Catchings was just the capper.
No his point is that they are one of the not just most positive but in fact Purdue hyping neutral sources out there.

Are they Mr. Beast level popular, no. But they have 6 times the subscribers of some of the Purdue centric YouTube sites. They even have more than GBI.

So going to war with or calling them idiots is counter productive.

Reactions: Roeder
In this era. Literally anyone can be a commentator. We could do one for this board. Still don’t understand how people become “influencers.” Well I do, its because the younger generation is glued to their screens and think if its on the internet it must be true.

In this era. Literally anyone can be a commentator. We could do one for this board. Still don’t understand how people become “influencers.” Well I do, its because the younger generation is glued to their screens and think if its on the internet it must be true.
What! You mean not everything you read on the internet is true? I guess it's not only the younger generation. Lots of stupid in the world.

Reactions: Schnelk
No his point is that they are one of the not just most positive but in fact Purdue hyping neutral sources out there.

Are they Mr. Beast level popular, no. But they have 6 times the subscribers of some of the Purdue centric YouTube sites. They even have more than GBI.

So going to war with or calling them idiots is counter productive.
You talk as if they have a stake in anything real. They are just a couple of guys with a YouTube channel. Their opinions of us (school/team/fans/whatever) don't matter unless YOU take them to heart. Kiss their butt if you want but realize exactly what it is.

You talk as if they have a stake in anything real. They are just a couple of guys with a YouTube channel. Their opinions of us (school/team/fans/whatever) don't matter unless YOU take them to heart. Kiss their butt if you want but realize exactly what it is.
Lol they have six times the subs Boilers Upload does. Or Boilers in the Stands. More subs than GBI. So their opinions get seen more than anything anyone types here. Doesn't matter whether those opinions "matter." It's sports, no opinions really matter in the grand scheme. They are seen by a fair number of people. That part matters. Them talking us up is positive.

And if they didn't matter, we wouldn't have this thread on here lol

If you think recognizing that and the benefits of good pub equates to "kissing" their butt that's pretty hilarious. Especially when I said they were a couple of "regular guys" in this same thread.

But cool tough guy take!

Lol they have six times the subs Boilers Upload does. Or Boilers in the Stands. More subs than GBI. So their opinions get seen more than anything anyone types here. Doesn't matter whether those opinions "matter." It's sports, no opinions really matter in the grand scheme. They are seen by a fair number of people. That part matters. Them talking us up is positive.

And if they didn't matter, we wouldn't have this thread on here lol

If you think recognizing that and the benefits of good pub equates to "kissing" their butt that's pretty hilarious. Especially when I said they were a couple of "regular guys" in this same thread.

But cool tough guy take!
Good grief. You sound like a teenage girl who lives on social media and thinks followers and/or subscribers are the end game of everything.

Them talking us up....or talking bad about us....doesn't change a thing unless a given individual chooses to value what they have to say. And even then it only matters to that individual. It won't make any difference in anything real though. They are suckering you in so they can use you to make money. That's the extent of it.

Last edited:
Good grief. You sound like a teenage girl who lives on social media.

Them talking us up....or talking bad about us....doesn't change a thing unless a given individual chooses to value what they have to say. And even then it only matters to that individual. It won't make any difference in anything real though.
Sure it will. It’s advertising for the program for potential recruits and to stay relevant in the off season for fans to make nil purchases. There’s a reason advertisement budgets are so high for most companies. I’d even say it’s better than standard advertising because there’s no direct affiliation with Purdue.

Last edited:
Good grief. You sound like a teenage girl who lives on social media and thinks followers and/or subscribers are the end game of everything.

Them talking us up....or talking bad about us....doesn't change a thing unless a given individual chooses to value what they have to say. And even then it only matters to that individual. It won't make any difference in anything real though. They are suckering you in so they can use you to make money. That's the extent of it.
Lol more tough guy nonsense. Kids live on social media genius. I don't. Kids do. Their moms do. Their girlfriends are there.

Go yell at some clouds gramps.

Sure it will. It’s advertising for the program for potential recruits and to stay relevant in the off season for fans to make nil purchases. There’s a reason advertisement budgets are so high for most companies. I’d even say it’s better than standard advertising because there’s no direct affiliation with Purdue.
Based on about 20 years of observation, the kind of recruits this would matter to typically are ones that our coach doesn't want anyway.

Last edited:
Lol more tough guy nonsense. Kids live on social media genius. I don't. Kids do. Their moms do. Their girlfriends are there.

Go yell at some clouds gramps.
And it doesn't change a thing for them either. It's too bad you don't understand the difference. It's not a matter of toughness....or age. I'm probably younger than you are. It's a matter of intelligence.

Reactions: BBG and Poprudy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT