ADVERTISEMENT

Sleepers sux

This thread is kind of hilarious. You can take or leave Sleepers, that's just a matter of opinion if you like their commentary or not. Not everyone is your own personal cup of tea. But good lord, you can tell which people on this board ONLY watch Fox News or MSNBC, because they can't handle any opposing view or even neutral reporting to their own opinion. And whose own personal lord and savior is Matt Painter. I don't hate Painter but he's not infallible. He's a human with his own weaknesses and has made mistakes and that's perfectly fine.

I watched sleepers for most of last season. I did not agree with some of their takes. They irritated me at times. But they are a UMich and MSU that give takes on the Big Ten and mostly big ten hoops, it happens. They've said loads of complimentary things about Purdue. They like Matt Painter. They are both jealous of our program and openly state it.

For all the talk some poster on here make about snowflakes, I can't think of anything more snowflake like then not being able to to handle the opinion that losing your best? second best? recruit ever (rankings wise) at the last minute, isn't normally a great look for a coach. Did Purdue dodge a bullet? Maybe? Probably?

That doesn't mean that Painter didn't want Catchings in the fold, he clearly did. He would have been an asset. Does this cripple the program? Nope......does it suck? yeah kinda.

This whole "well if he doesn't wanna be here, we didn't want him in the first place" is so childish. Just like with Branden Dawson, Hunter Dickinson, Mitch McGary etc etc. You can't expect media talking heads to say nothing but good things when a school loses out a big recruit.

This thread is kind of hilarious. You can take or leave Sleepers, that's just a matter of opinion if you like their commentary or not. Not everyone is your own personal cup of tea. But good lord, you can tell which people on this board ONLY watch Fox News or MSNBC, because they can't handle any opposing view or even neutral reporting to their own opinion. And whose own personal lord and savior is Matt Painter. I don't hate Painter but he's not infallible. He's a human with his own weaknesses and has made mistakes and that's perfectly fine.

I watched sleepers for most of last season. I did not agree with some of their takes. They irritated me at times. But they are a UMich and MSU that give takes on the Big Ten and mostly big ten hoops, it happens. They've said loads of complimentary things about Purdue. They like Matt Painter. They are both jealous of our program and openly state it.

For all the talk some poster on here make about snowflakes, I can't think of anything more snowflake like then not being able to to handle the opinion that losing your best? second best? recruit ever (rankings wise) at the last minute, isn't normally a great look for a coach. Did Purdue dodge a bullet? Maybe? Probably?

That doesn't mean that Painter didn't want Catchings in the fold, he clearly did. He would have been an asset. Does this cripple the program? Nope......does it suck? yeah kinda.

This whole "well if he doesn't wanna be here, we didn't want him in the first place" is so childish. Just like with Branden Dawson, Hunter Dickinson, Mitch McGary etc etc. You can't expect media talking heads to say nothing but good things when a school loses out a big recruit.
I don't expect anyone to give positive reports all the time. If you didn't understand that someone making a purely speculative comment about Matt Painter being a liar is harmful to the program, then I can't help you.
I have tolerated their inane comments in the past. You think they are great, I commented before that you can watch them all you want. Their "reporting" on the Catchings issue was atrocious and was uncomplimentary toward Purdue and Painter. They stepped on their dicks and halfway apologized afterward and at the same time said that Painter was not telling the truth. All they had to do was get the story somewhat straight before reporting. They even stated they needed to do a better job in the future.
Your take on people's viewing habits and temperments is infantile at best. Expecting someone to be close to accurate in their reporting is not being a snowflake it is expecting a modicum of accuracy. At that Sleepers is a fail to this point. So is your understanding of the OP.

The real question is…why does Greg Waddell always sound like he has nose congestion?? Does he just have a cold/allergies 24/7?!

Reactions: z_one
I don't expect anyone to give positive reports all the time. If you didn't understand that someone making a purely speculative comment about Matt Painter being a liar is harmful to the program, then I can't help you.
I have tolerated their inane comments in the past. You think they are great, I commented before that you can watch them all you want. Their "reporting" on the Catchings issue was atrocious and was uncomplimentary toward Purdue and Painter. They stepped on their dicks and halfway apologized afterward and at the same time said that Painter was not telling the truth. All they had to do was get the story somewhat straight before reporting. They even stated they needed to do a better job in the future.
Your take on people's viewing habits and temperments is infantile at best. Expecting someone to be close to accurate in their reporting is not being a snowflake it is expecting a modicum of accuracy. At that Sleepers is a fail to this point. So is your understanding of the OP.
The title of this thread is "sleepers sux" and are calling other's views infantile? That's rich lol

Their speculation does not hurt the program at all. A youtube program that is meant for entertainment and speculation, doesn't affect the program negatively at all. Everyone is just butthurt that not everyone buys into the "we dodged a major bullet by not having Catchings" nonsense. Its perfectly fine to think that, it's perfectly fine to think that all things pointed to Painter wanting Catchings, and Purdue is not better off with him not in the fold. It's once again, speculation.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
The title of this thread is "sleepers sux" and are calling other's views infantile? That's rich lol

Their speculation does not hurt the program at all. A youtube program that is meant for entertainment and speculation, doesn't not affect the program negatively at all. Everyone is just butthurt that not everyone buys into the "we dodged a major bullet by not having Catchings" nonsense. Its perfectly fine to think that, it's perfectly fine to think that all things pointed to Painter wanting Catchings, and Purdue is not better off with him not in the fold. It's once again, speculation.
They sucked and they even said they sucked that is what the OP was about. Then they doubled back on what they said. It was like a couple guys at the bar just saying random shit. They present themselves as having some inside info. I don't ask that they be perfect and I don't think anyone else does either. Something like the Catchings situation needs to be handled carefully to protect Kanon and Purdue. That is all I ask and I don't think that is asking too much. Personally, I think Painter said too much and I would have rather he gave a "no comment". Sleepers was insinuating that Brian Neubert was spinning a story to protect Purdue. Maybe that is why Painter spoke to the issue. I don't know and I'd rather the whole situation went away at this point.

Last edited:
They sucked and they even said they sucked that is what the OP was about. Then they doubled back on what they said. It was like a couple guys at the bar just saying random shit. They present themselves as having some inside info. I don't ask that they be perfect and I don't think anyone else does either. Something like the Catchings situation needs to be handled carefully to protect Kanon and Purdue. That is all I ask and I don't think that is asking too much.
I don't think people take Sleepers Media as a legitimate news source. Nor have they ever portrayed themselves to be. They don't have a need to protect Kanon nor Purdue. They are a basketball youtube show, they are not the AP. People don't even trust legitimate news sources these days if they don't spin it to fit their political alliance, and you're worried about a basketball youtube show having negative affects on Purdue? When they do nothing but compliment the program most of the time? If you don't like them and think they "suck" that's a perfectly fine opinion, but I'm losing any sense of what you are actually complaining about at this point.

Are you yelling this at a cloud?

Their speculation does not hurt the program at all. A youtube program that is meant for entertainment and speculation, doesn't affect the program negatively at all. Everyone is just butthurt that not everyone buys into the "we dodged a major bullet by not having Catchings" nonsense. Its perfectly fine to think that, it's perfectly fine to think that all things pointed to Painter wanting Catchings, and Purdue is not better off with him not in the fold. It's once again, speculation.
Agree that there's nothing that Sleepers is doing that hurts the program. Agree that had KC come in and been willing to work hard, put the team first and focus on his development he would have been an asset to the program. You're right that MP would have wanted him on the team in that situation. Agree that portraying this as 'Purdue clearly dodged a bullet' is speculation.

What's not speculation based on MP's comments, comments from KC's mom and the fact that the Catchings camp has not said anything that contradicts Painter is that MP made a choice not to keep KC in the fold (or at least work with the family to try to do so). Could Matt be wrong in that assessment? Sure. Do I have any reason not to trust his judgment? I do not.

Agree that there's nothing that Sleepers is doing that hurts the program. Agree that had KC come in and been willing to work hard, put the team first and focus on his development he would have been an asset to the program. You're right that MP would have wanted him on the team in that situation. Agree that portraying this as 'Purdue clearly dodged a bullet' is speculation.

What's not speculation based on MP's comments, comments from KC's mom and the fact that the Catchings camp has not said anything that contradicts Painter is that MP made a choice not to keep KC in the fold (or at least work with the family to try to do so). Could Matt be wrong in that assessment? Sure. Do I have any reason not to trust his judgment? I do not.
Painter wanted him, got him, he decommitted, recommitted, and then signed, made it to campus than then bailed. Painter very well may have just been tired of his crap, but its fair to speculate that wasn't the result he wanted

I don't think people take Sleepers Media as a legitimate news source. Nor have they ever portrayed themselves to be. They don't have a need to protect Kanon nor Purdue. They are a basketball youtube show, they are not the AP. People don't even trust legitimate news sources these days if they don't spin it to fit their political alliance, and you're worried about a basketball youtube show having negative affects on Purdue? When they do nothing but compliment the program most of the time? If you don't like them and think they "suck" that's a perfectly fine opinion, but I'm losing any sense of what you are actually complaining about at this point.

Are you yelling this at a cloud?
I find it funny that you responded at all if you believe this is the case. Of course they have an obligation to protect Kanon and Purdue. The same obligation that anyone has of not spreading lies about others. If you have lost any sense of what I was complaining about then you didn't understand in the first place.

Reactions: TC4THREE
I find it funny that you responded at all if you believe this is the case. Of course they have an obligation to protect Kanon and Purdue. The same obligation that anyone has of not spreading lies about others. If you have lost any sense of what I was complaining about then you didn't understand in the first place.
what lies were spread exactly? Who said "I have first hand knowledge of this situation and this is what happened" and it was an outright lie.

People are allowed to speculate, and even speculate that someone might not be completely truthful in their side of the story.

Also, I wasn't just responding to you, I responded to the whole thread that had all the "I stopped listening because they didn't 100% praise purdue and they showed their true colors" crowd. If you don't like them, fine. If you think they are purdue haters, you clearly haven't watched. And their speculation of a weird situation with a recruit does not hurt the recruit or Purdue.

what lies were spread exactly? Who said "I have first hand knowledge of this situation and this is what happened" and it was an outright lie.

People are allowed to speculate, and even speculate that someone might not be completely truthful in their side of the story.

Also, I wasn't just responding to you, I responded to the whole thread that had all the "I stopped listening because they didn't 100% praise purdue and they showed their true colors" crowd. If you don't like them, fine. If you think they are purdue haters, you clearly haven't watched. And their speculation of a weird situation with a recruit does not hurt the recruit or Purdue.
The level to which you are getting because some don't care for Sleepers is....... something. You're basically becoming the thing you are complaining about.. but in reverse.

Some of us aren't fans of Sleepers for whatever reason... who freakin cares?

Last edited:
The level to which you are getting because some don't care for Sleepers is....... something. You're basically becoming the thing you are complaining about.. but in reverse.

Some of us aren't fans of Sleepers for whatever reason... who freakin cares?
Wouldn't be shocked if it was one of them or the one BITS guy that has a hard on for them.

Reactions: BBG
It’s Sleepers media… two guys… giving opinions… some more on point and educated than others! The amount they and their opinions matter is really dependent on how you choose to react to whatever they spit out. Don’t give them the power to affect your day. I listened a lot last year and I take a break every once in a while.

It’s Sleepers media… two guys… giving opinions… some more on point and educated than others! The amount they and their opinions matter is really dependent on how you choose to react to whatever they spit out. Don’t give them the power to affect your day. I listened a lot last year and I take a break every once in a while.
I agree. They are entertaining at times and either painfully uninformed or purposely saying stupid things to drive traffic at others.

Reactions: z_one and BBG
I didn't see a lot of this, if any. You seem to be somewhat aware of Purdue recruiting over the years. Do you truly think the Catchings scenario is "just like" Dawson, Dickinson, and McGary?

Also, I wasn't just responding to you, I responded to the whole thread that had all the "I stopped listening because they didn't 100% praise purdue and they showed their true colors" crowd.
Again, there is a lot of hyperbole in your arguments. It's lazy. If you have to rely on hyperbole, then your point -- and credibility -- are lost.

I didn't see a lot of this, if any. You seem to be somewhat aware of Purdue recruiting over the years. Do you truly think the Catchings scenario is "just like" Dawson, Dickinson, and McGary?
No, Those three are simply sour grapes and Painter missing on a recruit. But there are still the "we didn't want him anyways" crowd. In my opinion, this is a lot worse on Painter than anyone wants to admit. To be over-signed with no explanation, and then having a recruit bail days before practice even starts? He allegedly has a system to weed out "bad character" and "non Purdue" types. Wasn't that the issue back right after the Baby Boilers when Purdue temporarily was pathetic again? Bade, Tacos, Jeff Robinson (the academic non qualifier), Ronnie Johnson, Kelsey Barlow, etc etc. Anthony Johnson........the list goes on. Allegedly went after non program kids and he stopped that method of recruiting?

Painter recruited this kid through alleged locker room issues, a commitment, a de-commitment, a re-commitment, etc etc. Pardon me for any skepticism that there is more to the situation than we'll ever know. I don't really care at the end of the day that Catchings didn't make it here. He probably wasn't ready to start on this team right away, and wanting to be a one and done, wasn't going to contribute much. But to act like this is some brilliance by Painter by dodging some bullet is ridiculous spin. All parties handled this whole thing poorly. That doesn't make either a bad player or coach, but it was handled poorly. Sleepers speculation that things may not be exactly the picture painted by Painter isn't really all that outlandish.

• Haha
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Again, there is a lot of hyperbole in your arguments. It's lazy. If you have to rely on hyperbole, then your point -- and credibility -- are lost.
Please look up the definition of hyperbole. Big words don't win you an argument. Although I'm not even sure me and you are arguing about anything.

My only point is you can take or leave, Sleepers. But there are lot of folks on here that simply pat Painter on the back no matter what he does, and assumes our side is blameless no matter what. Painter runs a "clean program" and does it the "right way" therefore never does anything

and if some random media source (not even a news source, a basketball youtube program) dares to say Painter might be lying about something, rabble rabble, they suck, they are hurting the program, rabble rabble.

Painter is not without his faults. Terrance Crump ran over someone intoxicated and was suspended one season. No program will ever have 100% squeaky clean players. But every time an recruitment is bungled and half this board just says "We didn't want him anyways, we dodged a bullet, Painter is a genius" the other half does a collective eye roll

Stopped reading here because whatever you said after this, has zero credibility. I think @TC4THREE might have you pegged right as one of the sleepers dudes.
no surprise there, plug your ears, opinions that differ from your own are scary these days........

don't forget to call someone else a "snowflake" though.

The irony of this statement coming from you after your rants through this thread is pretty funny.

Yes, "rants" about what exactly? and I've actually read the comments and addressed them. You said you stopped reading......yet chose to respond anyway.... so is the irony that you don't understand what irony is, but still attempted to use it in a sentence?

I'll just stop responding to you, not because I'm afraid of reading an opinion I don't agree with, but rather you seem to not have an argument except "why do you care?" and "I don't read what you say, just respond" Those are signs that someone has nothing else to add to the discussion (or in your case, never did)

Yes, "rants" about what exactly? and I've actually read the comments and addressed them. You said you stopped reading......yet chose to respond anyway.... so is the irony that you don't understand what irony is, but still attempted to use it in a sentence?

I'll just stop responding to you, not because I'm afraid of reading an opinion I don't agree with, but rather you seem to not have an argument except "why do you care?" and "I don't read what you say, just respond" Those are signs that someone has nothing else to add to the discussion (or in your case, never did)
Well congrats you've moved on from irony to hypocrisy which is exactly what someone that is afraid of other people's opinions would do. It's also kinda funny that you don't understand what "I stopped reading right here" means as that means that the rest of your post that I cut out wasn't read because with as much nonsense that you started with, the rest was likely the same. It's mind boggling that has to be explained to you, but also the mentality we are dealing with here.

And let's also be clear when you have something of worth to add, I'll respond in kind. So far the only thing you have done is bash Painter with very unfounded comments and rant at those that don't worship sleepers like you apparently do. But yeah for your sake, it's likely best you just ignore me. I mean being called out for the exact thing you are ranting about in other posts clearly has hurt your feelings and we don't want that.

I
Well congrats you've moved on from irony to hypocrisy which is exactly what someone that is afraid of other people's opinions would do. It's also kinda funny that you don't understand what "I stopped reading right here" means as that means that the rest of your post that I cut out wasn't read because with as much nonsense that you started with, the rest was likely the same. It's mind boggling that has to be explained to you, but also the mentality we are dealing with here.

And let's also be clear when you have something of worth to add, I'll respond in kind. So far the only thing you have done is bash Painter with very unfounded comments and rant at those that don't worship sleepers like you apparently do. But yeah for your sake, it's likely best you just ignore me. I mean being called out for the exact thing you are ranting about in other posts clearly has hurt your feelings and we don't want that.
yup that’s what happened. All in your mind apparently.

Just like saying sleepers is the same as Dan Dakitch. Which is the most mind blowingly thing in this thread. Not comparing sleepers specifically, but literally anyone to the husk of a human being. He was only complimentary of Purdue a few years after being fired from IU and only for spite.

But keep just saying things that make no sense , because why would you give an example of hypocrisy, or me “worshipping sleepers” or even an example of irony (other than you can’t) or hell, even me bashing painter.

And yeah, you will respond to me either way, because internet tough guys do, even when they have nothing of substance to add other than made up nonsense.

Also, you sound senile, you should really go yell this at the clouds

And yeah, you will respond to me either way, because internet tough guys do,
Hey you said you were going to ignore me and yet still respond? The amount of hypocrisy and irony you spew is astounding.

Edit: You know I was going to keep pointing out your discrepancies, but you simply are not worth the time and we're just escalating to 5th grade banter.

So I'll say this.... we'll just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Hey you said you were going to ignore me and yet still respond? The amount of hypocrisy and irony you spew is astounding.

Edit: You know I was going to keep pointing out your discrepancies, but you simply are not worth the time and we're just escalating to 5th grade banter.

So I'll say this.... we'll just agree to disagree.
Still just saying things and not justifying it. Just name calling and using in your mind, “big words”. The ironic thing is you calling me a 5th grader 😂😂😂😂

Still just saying things and not justifying it. Just name calling and using in your mind, “big words”. The ironic thing is you calling me a 5th grader 😂😂😂😂
I thought you weren't going to respond? Your several posts now past the point you said you were done. Huh.. just more hypocrisy from you and your zero substance posts.

Clearly I have you triggered which is hilarious in of itself since it was pretty easy to do and I tried to give you an out yet you keep digging that hole. Head to your cry room, take a breath, then try again.

I thought you weren't going to respond? Your several posts now past the point you said you were done. Huh.. just more hypocrisy from you and your zero substance posts.

Clearly I have you triggered which is hilarious in of itself since it was pretty easy to do and I tried to give you an out yet you keep digging that hole. Head to your cry room, take a breath, then try again.
The whole situation that you make up in your mind, can be whatever you need it to be buddy

😂😂😂

No, Those three are simply sour grapes and Painter missing on a recruit. But there are still the "we didn't want him anyways" crowd. In my opinion, this is a lot worse on Painter than anyone wants to admit. To be over-signed with no explanation, and then having a recruit bail days before practice even starts? He allegedly has a system to weed out "bad character" and "non Purdue" types. Wasn't that the issue back right after the Baby Boilers when Purdue temporarily was pathetic again? Bade, Tacos, Jeff Robinson (the academic non qualifier), Ronnie Johnson, Kelsey Barlow, etc etc. Anthony Johnson........the list goes on. Allegedly went after non program kids and he stopped that method of recruiting?

Painter recruited this kid through alleged locker room issues, a commitment, a de-commitment, a re-commitment, etc etc. Pardon me for any skepticism that there is more to the situation than we'll ever know. I don't really care at the end of the day that Catchings didn't make it here. He probably wasn't ready to start on this team right away, and wanting to be a one and done, wasn't going to contribute much. But to act like this is some brilliance by Painter by dodging some bullet is ridiculous spin. All parties handled this whole thing poorly. That doesn't make either a bad player or coach, but it was handled poorly. Sleepers speculation that things may not be exactly the picture painted by Painter isn't really all that outlandish
Serious question, not meant to be critical. Given that you recognize that KC "wasn't likely to contribute much", what would you have liked to have seen MP do differently?

Serious question, not meant to be critical. Given that you recognize that KC "wasn't likely to contribute much", what would you have liked to have seen MP do differently?
I think certain people are assuming I have an issue with what Painter did. Which would be hard to do, because let’s be real, no one knows what actually happened. We haven’t even heard the other side of the story. To my knowledge at least, I have not been critical about how he handled this situation. (edit: And by this is mean releasing KC from his NLI, which is what I believe you were referring to. Both sides have to handle a situation like this poorly to have things fall apart at the start of spring/summer practice. The situation overall was handled poorly by both sides. I can't speak to what either specific individual handled poorly, because I don't know the whole situation. But Purdue being blindsided into losing a recruit last minute that they kept through an oversign, and a top30 kid bailing and ending up in a similar situation at BYU of all places...........there were mistakes made on both sides throughout the process)

What I have been critical of, is a certain number of Purdue fans who will make a post like this, because someone/a media source who will be mainly complementary of the program will make a comment about Painter possibly being less than perfect.

it’s easy for Purdue fans to say. Good riddance, the kid didn’t wanna be here or didn’t wanna work for anything, good for Painter.

If you were a neutral fan you’ve seen this:
1) Painter recruited KC hard
2) catchings would have been at worst the third best Purdue recruit ever based on ranking (Grob, Biggie)
3) Painter had stuck with him, even being over signed, all the way to the point where he was expected to be on campus any day.
4) it all falls apart at the last minute

Did Painter handle the situation poorly? hard to tell. But it certainly fair to question. He clearly didn’t expect this, which means he either didn’t detect the character issues, ignored them, or did not communicate reality to KC well. None of which would be a huge criticism , but it’s fair to speculate.

My issue isn’t even about sleepers, I mildly enjoyed them during the season but I didn’t like everything they said either.

But we have posters on here that call them Dan Dakitch or make posts that they suck because they dare say it’s possible that Painter didn’t handle this properly and Purdue fans are trying hard to spin this as a good things, when looking at it neutrally, it’s never a good look for a coach to lose a recruit this late in the process.

This intense overreaction everytime someone questions that Painter might be less than perfect just gets old. As I said before, I don’t think KC would have brought a ton to the table this year, I could easily be wrong. But that being said, I don’t think it’s a good look that the kid was a day away from campus and it fell apart. And while we may have ultimately “dodged a bullet”, losing a top30 recruit that late in the process doesn’t look that good to future recruits. As with anything, you have to take the good with the bad and not always have blinders on to the bad

Last edited:
  • Haha
I think certain people are assuming I have an issue with what Painter did. Which would be hard to do, because let’s be real, no one knows what actually happened. We haven’t even heard the other side of the story. To my knowledge at least, I have not been critical about how he handled this situation.

What I have been critical of, is a certain number of Purdue fans who will make a post like this, because someone/a media source who will be mainly complementary of the program will make a comment about Painter possibly being less than perfect.

it’s easy for Purdue fans to say. Good riddance, the kid didn’t wanna be here or didn’t wanna work for anything, good for Painter.

If you were a neutral fan you’ve seen this:
1) Painter recruited KC hard
2) catchings would have been at worst the third best Purdue recruit ever based on ranking (Grob, Biggie)
3) Painter had stuck with him, even being over signed, all the way to the point where he was expected to be on campus any day.
4) it all falls apart at the last minute

Did Painter handle the situation poorly? hard to tell. But it certainly fair to question. He clearly didn’t expect this, which means he either didn’t detect the character issues, ignored them, or did not communicate reality to KC well. None of which would be a huge criticism , but it’s fair to speculate.

My issue isn’t even about sleepers, I mildly enjoyed them during the season but I didn’t like everything they said either.

But we have posters on here that call them Dan Dakitch or make posts that they suck because they dare say it’s possible that Painter didn’t handle this properly and Purdue fans are trying hard to spin this as a good things, when looking at it neutrally, it’s never a good look for a coach to lose a recruit this late in the process.

This intense overreaction everytime someone questions that Painter might be less than perfect just gets old. As I said before, I don’t think KC would have brought a ton to the table this year, I could easily be wrong. But that being said, I don’t think it’s a good look that the kid was a day away from campus and it fell apart. And while we may have ultimately “dodged a bullet”, losing a top30 recruit that late in the process doesn’t look that good to future recruits. As with anything, you have to take the good with the bad and not always have blinders on to the bad
Top 40* recruit and I think we question posters when they criticize painter because he has a lot more experience than some poster on here.

But why would it turn away future recruits? Painter recruits a certain type of player and those seem to be kids with a chip on their shoulder and/or willing to put in work to earn their spot. From reports, it seems KC was not interested in that. Now, you can believe somehow, Painter, who in interviews and from current and past players, is a straight shooter and doesn’t promise much to recruits. He’s real with them. And the type of recruit he pursues, seems to like that. IMO, I can’t see any world where painter NEVER said anything about this to KC in the two year recruitment and that ALL OF A SUDDEN the day before he was going to be on campus, it was finally discussed. Does that not seem way out of character for Paint? It was the second (publicly known) time KC had done something like this…would be willing to be it happened at least another 2-3 times. At the end of the day he’s an 18 year old kid that doesn’t know completely what he wants, which is understandable.

I think you’ll find that the current team absolutely LOVED the fact that painter didn’t just give a spot to an unproven kid who had a high ranking just because he’s supposed to be good (look to the south last year with their recruit who was 10th and made the team look absolutely silly with how unprepared he was on defense and super slow). I also think future recruits that painter goes after will also like that.

But let me ask you, what would you have done differently than Paint throughout the two year recruitment and during the times KC wanted to decommit? Let’s say it happened 5 times over a 2 year span and you have kids who have been working their butt off after being told that’s how you get playing time. I think you’d piss odd a bunch of them and have a bunch of transfers out the following year and then have to restart your program every year and get a new team and hope they can gel quick enough to be successful (IU, Illinois etc).

you must realize by now that most people that call other people "snowflake" are usually the biggest snowflake in the blizzard.
Agree on Sleepers.

Reactions: Boilermaker427
Top 40* recruit and I think we question posters when they criticize painter because he has a lot more experience than some poster on here.

But why would it turn away future recruits? Painter recruits a certain type of player and those seem to be kids with a chip on their shoulder and/or willing to put in work to earn their spot. From reports, it seems KC was not interested in that. Now, you can believe somehow, Painter, who in interviews and from current and past players, is a straight shooter and doesn’t promise much to recruits. He’s real with them. And the type of recruit he pursues, seems to like that. IMO, I can’t see any world where painter NEVER said anything about this to KC in the two year recruitment and that ALL OF A SUDDEN the day before he was going to be on campus, it was finally discussed. Does that not seem way out of character for Paint? It was the second (publicly known) time KC had done something like this…would be willing to be it happened at least another 2-3 times. At the end of the day he’s an 18 year old kid that doesn’t know completely what he wants, which is understandable.

I think you’ll find that the current team absolutely LOVED the fact that painter didn’t just give a spot to an unproven kid who had a high ranking just because he’s supposed to be good (look to the south last year with their recruit who was 10th and made the team look absolutely silly with how unprepared he was on defense and super slow). I also think future recruits that painter goes after will also like that.

But let me ask you, what would you have done differently than Paint throughout the two year recruitment and during the times KC wanted to decommit? Let’s say it happened 5 times over a 2 year span and you have kids who have been working their butt off after being told that’s how you get playing time. I think you’d piss odd a bunch of them and have a bunch of transfers out the following year and then have to restart your program every year and get a new team and hope they can gel quick enough to be successful (IU, Illinois etc).
While I agree with most of this, my only point was we don't need to bash every media outlet that questions Painter's perfection. It is fair for non Purdue media talking heads to question the handling of a situation that the end result is a highly rated player leaving the program last minute and him not having a lot of options. Obviously this is more likely more on KC than Painter, but it's still fair to question what changed between his NLI and the precipice of arriving to campus.

It was common knowledge that KC thought of himself as a one and done, and common knowledge that Painter does not hand people roles, they are earned. Both sides knew the other side, and there was still not only a commitment but an NLI signed. It's fair to question what happened and both sides having some blame. No one really knows the situation fully, and we've only heard one side of it.

It is my opinion that this is still a bad look to recruits as a whole. Maybe not the current players (of course they'd be happy with less competition for minutes, especially being over signed), but obviously there was a disconnect between Painter and KC, and as a young recruit, when you make a commitment you don't want to have many doubts. Huge red flag? no. But a concern either way.

I'm also of the opinion, you occasionally need to sprinkle in highly rated talented with your blue collar, chip on your shoulder guys to have a serious NC contender, and it sucks seeing your top recruit of the cycle go, regardless of the reason, if only from a talent perspective.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT