ADVERTISEMENT

Season turned on its side

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
Not bashing the ladies for not playing hard. But losing to a bottom feeder MSU squad who you beat at their place handily a while ago, pretty much takes them out of the Dance picture I think. Maybe they can beat OSU at home and win some in the BTT to get in. But is is doubtful. When the game was on the line they let a very young, very injured team out play them and win.
This game has to stick in the craw of every fan and fan the flames of moving on from Coach V, but that has been said too much and the end of the season is near so we will just wait to see if the AD moves on this or not. Certainly this game pointed toward a change.

Reactions: DocRon
Not bashing the ladies for not playing hard. But losing to a bottom feeder MSU squad who you beat at their place handily a while ago, pretty much takes them out of the Dance picture I think. Maybe they can beat OSU at home and win some in the BTT to get in. But is is doubtful. When the game was on the line they let a very young, very injured team out play them and win.
This game has to stick in the craw of every fan and fan the flames of moving on from Coach V, but that has been said too much and the end of the season is near so we will just wait to see if the AD moves on this or not. Certainly this game pointed toward a change.
Pretty much agree.

Plus, it did not have anything to do with Versyp or the NCAA chances but it stuck in my craw that, because I was at a church meeting, I had to listen to the BTN broadcast rather than Tim Newton's radio broadcast. That meant I had to listen to ex-IU WBB Tyra Buss doing color. I so used to dislike her when she played.

And to boot, when the BTN announcer in the studio (whoever she was) passed off to the game when it started she said something like "And now we take you to Michigan State and Indiana. Enjoy the game." Grrrr. At that point I had a feeling the whole evening was not going to go well.

BTW, Buss needs to hope her future lies somewhere else besides doing color commentary.

Last edited:
Pretty much agree.

Plus, it did not have anything to do with Versyp or the NCAA chances but it stuck in my craw that, because I was at a church meeting, I had to listen to the BTN broadcast rather than Tim Newton's radio broadcast. That meant I had to listen to ex-IU WBB Tyra Buss doing color. I so used to dislike her when she played.

And to boot, when he BTN announcer (whoever she was) passed off to the game when it started she said something like "And now we take you to MSU and Indiana. Enjoy the game." Grrrr. At that point I had a feeling the whole evening was not going to go well.

BTW, Buss needs to hope her future lies somewhere else besides doing color commentary.

Tie game with 2 fouls to give and 9 seconds left.
Why not play aggressive defense?
Instead we take 2 seconds off the clock on two consecutive quick fouls. If you use that strategy at least let SOME time run off before fouling.
Interesting criticism. I have never coached but that strategy seems pretty delicate in that if you allow them to get in a position to throw something at the basket when you foul them, then you are screwed.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Interesting criticism. I have never coached but that strategy seems pretty delicate in that if you allow them to get in a position to throw something at the basket when you foul them, then you are screwed.

Reactions: DocRon
It is now 37 points. By all rights she should wait until the team banquet and then announce she is stepping down.

Reactions: TMA62
ESPN bracketologist had them safely in the tournament before tonight. Typically a road loss to a top ten team won't move the needle much. Hope they can beat Ohio State this weekend and take one more step towards a tournament bid.

Reactions: jindy and DocRon
Turned the game off in 3 Q. Impossible to watch. Yes, MD is one of best teams in the country and their athletes are totally superior, but we looked awful.
--They had their will inside. We have zero interior defense.
--To's came like gnats in a storm.
--Down a lot even the announcer said--why is Purdue waiting till the end of the shot clock to try to score. It's because that's the way they are coached. Against inferior teams it can keep you in the game, but when you play anyone decent it is crippling. AD has to decide it he wants that style of play because that's what we've got. When you wait that long. D can just relax then pressure you hard and usually cause a poor or forced shot. Happens repeatedly as it has all season.
--Maybe they win at home in senior game vs OSU because nice for Oden and Harris to win at Mackey, but it won't matter. An early loss in BTT will send them to the NIT if they choose to go.
--This program is light years away from even being decently competitive and it has two of its best seniors. I truly thought they would be a top five team this year. Hard to believe that we can expect much next year--even with a new coach. And that coach if it happens, will have a tough road to be competitive. But, as we have seen, a good coach can turn it around like Moren. Any chance as a Purdue grad we can steal her. Ha ha in a not funny season.

I admit somewhat of an over reaction, but, more realistically, I think we are far away from being truly competitive in the BT, which, with the roster we have, I believe we should have been this year. I think next year looks very dicey too if something does not change. I join most of the fans who opine on here in believing we need a coaching change. I think we are in danger as a program. Illinois messed around and now has a buried program. Wisc and PSu are in the same state I think. NW was like that but got a veteran winning coach who has made them competitive. I will always believe in all sports that management is key. In college, mostly the coach tho the AD has to hire that person. In the pros both the coach and the GM. That has been proven over and over. I think it is manifest that this program would do much better with a different coach--but is is always a gamble and, if you make a mistake, can make things worse. But I think you have to try. This was most manifest with the hiring of Hope and Hazell after Tiller and what Tiller did after a spate of poor coaches. Even Brohm is struggling some due to what he was left. There is no magic bullet, but the right coach can make all the difference in getting players they can coach to a competitive level. Believe our WBB is desperate for that now.

I admit somewhat of an over reaction, but, more realistically, I think we are far away from being truly competitive in the BT, which, with the roster we have, I believe we should have been this year. I think next year looks very dicey too if something does not change. I join most of the fans who opine on here in believing we need a coaching change. I think we are in danger as a program. Illinois messed around and now has a buried program. Wisc and PSu are in the same state I think. NW was like that but got a veteran winning coach who has made them competitive. I will always believe in all sports that management is key. In college, mostly the coach tho the AD has to hire that person. In the pros both the coach and the GM. That has been proven over and over. I think it is manifest that this program would do much better with a different coach--but is is always a gamble and, if you make a mistake, can make things worse. But I think you have to try. This was most manifest with the hiring of Hope and Hazell after Tiller and what Tiller did after a spate of poor coaches. Even Brohm is struggling some due to what he was left. There is no magic bullet, but the right coach can make all the difference in getting players they can coach to a competitive level. Believe our WBB is desperate for that now.

Very true IB. I've been hoping (seemingly against hope) that the ladies would finish this year strong and earn this staff more time but last night's game just reinforced what I'd come to believe through much of the last 10 or so games - Purdue needs new leadership in the program. I hate that it's true as I like Sharon and believe that she's giving it her all(and is a quality person). Last night's performance isnt the only reason for my conclusion but rather a very telling effort/outcome after too many similar versions. Hopefully the AD has seen enough to make an educated decision, and has already compiled his thoughts and plans for options moving forward.

I watched the game on and off and agree it was pretty bad. All I could think about was how bad I felt for Oden and Harris. Sad that they were wasted with such poor coaching.

Last edited:
Purdue losing by 40 is an embarrassment. I'm sorry, players like Oden, Harris, Mcglauthlin need to do some soul searching after that one. I realize Maryland is the better team and program, however, an experienced team that Purdue is has no business getting blown out like that

I’ll admit I haven’t attended a Purdue WBB game in years, so have no “close up” feel for the atmosphere around the program in the West Lafayette. But my sense (from 3 hours away in Southern Indiana) is that it is kinda stale, maybe some spurts of energy and good play, but not consistent, and, like the men’s team this year, no real growth or improvement, no real signs of “trending up”.

If I remember right, there was an article in the J&C (Mike Carmin I think?) last spring where both Coach Versyp and Mr. Bobinski were interviewed about the 2018-19 season and the overall gist was that neither of them were satisfied with the season’s results and both were looking for better results this season with the returning core of players and a couple coming off injuries or transferring in. I believe Bobinski’s statement was something like he needed to see improvement, a sense of energy, and trending in a better direction.
The unspoken thing was “or maybe a change is in order”... he definitely did not say that but it was implied.

Again, like the men’s team, it looks like there are talented players on the team, with decent experience, who at times just seem to play disconnected from each other. Sloppy, not taking care of the ball, lack of what I’d call “team coordination” - like a playground pickup game. Just depressing given what the program used to be.

I watched the pregame ditty on Maryland’s coach and how she interacts and motivates her players.. unless it was all for show for the brief video (I don’t think so), she seemed very inspirational and full of energy. I just don’t sense that in our program, but again, I’m not close enough to say for sure.

And I do agree with the above post about the veteran players needing to step up and own some of this mediocrity. I had high hopes for this season - but it sure seems more same ol’ same ol’

Gosh, sorry this is so long.. got to typing and didn’t realize it.
The end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT