ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost to Nebraska

New Pal Boiler

All-American
Jun 30, 2010
This is not good news for the B1G West. Guy can flat out coach offense. Question is can be get players out to the middle of nowhere. He has recruited CA and FL during his 2 previous stops.

You mean they just named the new coach. And that was it? And the report was accurate? And there wasn’t an uproar? And another 50 candidates rumored? Nobody named Cooter or Cletus on twitter spreading false rumors?? I don’t understand!
Roger and Jim over at the cattle auction were going to jump on it but the internet is frozen 'til spring.

I'm shocked by the lack of leaks! The contract was supposedly signed 4-6 weeks ago! And it was said neither school wanted to make it public, but ABC wanted to announce it after the game sort of like now that you won rather than going to Disney world you're gong to Nebraska! Where dreams can come true.

We talk about our future expectations for Brohm! I'm sure Nebraska fans see their future as also being brighter! That is why I say don't compare us to our past, compare us to our opponents! I have a feeling a Frost coached Nebraska team will soon become a formidable foe! I kind of expect Nebraska to challenge for a BIG10 west title before Purdue does!

We talk about our future expectations for Brohm! I'm sure Nebraska fans see their future as also being brighter! That is why I say don't compare us to our past, compare us to our opponents! I have a feeling a Frost coached Nebraska team will soon become a formidable foe! I kind of expect Nebraska to challenge for a BIG10 west title before Purdue does!
Harder to recruit to Nebraska vs Orlando...flip for Brohm in WKU vs. Purdue. I think Purdue is closer to getting to the conference championship because until I see Frost recruit and coach in a big conference...I won’t be sold. I thought Illinois would be much better off at this point and they may be considering how young they were this season...but until I see it, I usually hold some reservations about other schools since I don’t follow them.

Harder to recruit to Nebraska vs Orlando...flip for Brohm in WKU vs. Purdue. I think Purdue is closer to getting to the conference championship because until I see Frost recruit and coach in a big conference...I won’t be sold. I thought Illinois would be much better off at this point and they may be considering how young they were this season...but until I see it, I usually hold some reservations about other schools since I don’t follow them.

And here is where I agree and disagree! I have never undertood why any elite athlete would want to play for Kansas or Iowa or Nebraska or Minnesota or Purdue, Boise st ! But for some reason they do!

Frost is from Nebraska so he should have an idea of the type of player Nebraska attracts! However, his offense is not the type of offense Nebraska has typically run and it requires the type of player not usually attracted to a team like Nebraska! This begs the question. Will Frost go back to the style of play that made Nebraska famous and bring in the type of recruit Nebraska previously was able to land? Or will he bring in his catch and shoot offense he has run at his previous two stops which will require a complete overhaul in the Nebraska recruiting philosophy and will he be able to bring/attract this type of players to Nebraska? And if he does, will it work?

Nebraska used to be able to attract huge linemen like UW and play smash mouth football! That style is no longer in vogue! Can he bring that style back and be successful? Because it's doubtful he can bring his current style and implement it in the corn belt where players are huge and slow!

Frost was pretty balanced at UCF with 55% of their plays being rushing attempts the last 2 years.

At Oregon Frost’s offense ran it about 58% of the time.

It is a primarily run based offense, they just run it out of a spread. He could very easily go to Nebraska and implement the basics of the speed option even with heavier lineman. Now it may not be as dynamic or high scoring but it could be done.

Frost was pretty balanced at UCF with 55% of their plays being rushing attempts the last 2 years.

At Oregon Frost’s offense ran it about 58% of the time.

It is a primarily run based offense, they just run it out of a spread. He could very easily go to Nebraska and implement the basics of the speed option even with heavier lineman. Now it may not be as dynamic or high scoring but it could be done.
Haven’t watched Frost’s teams st UCF but you seem to describe what NW has done tug Jackson the last four years with running out don the spread. Not sure Nebraska has the horses for that and might take a bit longer to adjust to given what Riley wanted to do there previously.

Whisky and Iowa are what I would consider similar programs and they both run similar programs: good to great defenses with good to great running games/sub par QB play.

If Frost wants to run out of the spread, he is going to have to find a dual threat QB along with some mobile OL to pull and zone block like NW.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Haven’t watched Frost’s teams st UCF but you seem to describe what NW has done tug Jackson the last four years with running out don the spread. Not sure Nebraska has the horses for that and might take a bit longer to adjust to given what Riley wanted to do there previously.

Whisky and Iowa are what I would consider similar programs and they both run similar programs: good to great defenses with good to great running games/sub par QB play.

If Frost wants to run out of the spread, he is going to have to find a dual threat QB along with some mobile OL to pull and zone block like NW.
He runs the same uptempo, power spread at UCF that he ran at Oregon with Kelly and Helfrich.

And here is where I agree and disagree! I have never undertood why any elite athlete would want to play for Kansas or Iowa or Nebraska or Minnesota or Purdue, Boise st ! But for some reason they do!

Frost is from Nebraska so he should have an idea of the type of player Nebraska attracts! However, his offense is not the type of offense Nebraska has typically run and it requires the type of player not usually attracted to a team like Nebraska! This begs the question. Will Frost go back to the style of play that made Nebraska famous and bring in the type of recruit Nebraska previously was able to land? Or will he bring in his catch and shoot offense he has run at his previous two stops which will require a complete overhaul in the Nebraska recruiting philosophy and will he be able to bring/attract this type of players to Nebraska? And if he does, will it work?

Nebraska used to be able to attract huge linemen like UW and play smash mouth football! That style is no longer in vogue! Can he bring that style back and be successful? Because it's doubtful he can bring his current style and implement it in the corn belt where players are huge and slow!

Because there's plenty to go 'round.

You don't need a roster full of 4- and 5-star players to compete.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver

They need to find a good running qb with ok passing skills. Oregon won a ton with Masoli and Darron Thomas and neither was a good passer.

The blocking scheme is pretty straight forward and doesn’t require a ton of OL mobility. Of course it helps as it does in any system but the speed option is a power run hat on hat blocking scheme much of the time and it doesn’t require the OL to hold the block very long.

The difference between what Iowa and Wisconsin do and Oregon and UCF do is the formation and forcing the defense to declare their scheme. When you spread out it is much easier for the offense to see how the defense will try to defend them. When you pack in your offense (like Wisconsin and Iowa) you have to win the talent battle you let the defense disguise where the pressure is coming from.

Obviously, Frost is going to have challenges to be a top tier big ten team but it doesn’t require the horses that other schemes require.

That's my question. Nebraska has always attracted a certain type of player. and the Midwest is known for producing that type of player in mass quantities. Nebraska beame great with their massive o-line creating holes and having speedy RBs to run through the holes.

To implement the style of offense Frost has used at Oregon and UCF, he is going to have to recruit a different style of player than the typical Nebraska recruit.

Frost may not be able to recruit the type of players he wants in Nebraska that he was able to recruit at Oregon and UCF. So the question is, does he bring his spread offense to Nebraska even if he doesn't have the personnel to run it? Or does he change his coaching philosophy to match the type of player he is more likely to recruit to Nebraska?

I am reminded of the failures Notre Dame experienced when the y tried to replace their successful QB option style to a pro drop back style, and the players the y traditionally recruited didn't match the new style of offense.. and sort of like at GB this year replacing Rogers with Hundley. green bay has had to totally change their offensive style with very mixed results. thank you tampa and the bears for giving us those games.

I get what folks are saying, but Frost was at UCF for 2 years and 1 day. We don’t know how he recruits as a head coach and he was most likely successful without having his type of player. 2 years ago UCF was 0-12. This year they were 13-0. That isn’t because he recruited a bunch of guys that made his system work.

Last edited:
I think the Big Ten, and specifically the West, needs Nebraska to be strong again. When they were added to the conference, that was the expectation. When the East and West divisions were divided that was the expectation. They should be what MSU has been for the past ten years: a strong #1 or #2 in their division and top 4-5 in the conference on average.
The imbalance between the East and West is a bit worrisome. If it continues I see realignment again in the near future (barring expansion). I would rather stick with East and West divisions and have to climb over a bunch of good programs like Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Iowa than any great ones. Even when those teams are strong there are years when there isn't a great team among them. That is rare for the UM/OSU/PSU combo.

Reactions: Heiner
I was talking with a friend and he brought this up. His crazy idea was a 2 year reseed of the divisions to balance them out. I think it is a bit nuts, but in a world where the conference wants to get someone in to the playoff it might be something they look at.

I was talking with a friend and he brought this up. His crazy idea was a 2 year reseed of the divisions to balance them out. I think it is a bit nuts, but in a world where the conference wants to get someone in to the playoff it might be something they look at.
The West will get stronger through the addition of coaches like Brohm and Frost. The issue has been terrible hires at 3 of the West's schools in Illinois, Purdue, and Nebraska at around the same time.

Power Programs:
OSU (E)
UM (E)
PSU (E)
Whisky (W)

Strong Programs:
Nebraska (W)
Iowa (W)
MSU (E)
NU (W)

Capable Programs:
Purdue (W)
Minny (W)
Maryland (E)

Below Average Programs:
IU (E)
Illinois (W)
Rutgers (E)

Essentially how I see it is that the East is top heavy but the West has more programs that have traditionally been in the middle. Nebraska has the tradition to become a power program again along with Purdue moving up the rung as well under Brohm. That would bring more parity to the conference that is needed but there simply won't be equality as programs below those that are power programs rise and fall on a more frequent basis and the West simply has more of those types of programs.

The West will get stronger through the addition of coaches like Brohm and Frost. The issue has been terrible hires at 3 of the West's schools in Illinois, Purdue, and Nebraska at around the same time.

Power Programs:
OSU (E)
UM (E)
PSU (E)
Whisky (W)

Strong Programs:
Nebraska (W)
Iowa (W)
MSU (E)
NU (W)

Capable Programs:
Purdue (W)
Minny (W)
Maryland (E)

Below Average Programs:
IU (E)
Illinois (W)
Rutgers (E)

Essentially how I see it is that the East is top heavy but the West has more programs that have traditionally been in the middle. Nebraska has the tradition to become a power program again along with Purdue moving up the rung as well under Brohm. That would bring more parity to the conference that is needed but there simply won't be equality as programs below those that are power programs rise and fall on a more frequent basis and the West simply has more of those types of programs.
The balance issue is tricky because nobody can predict the future and how far do you go back to categorize the programs. Historically, Nebraska is above Wisconsin, Minnesota is above Iowa, and Purdue is above Northwestern. In the past 10 years, none of those are true.

Historical tiers:
1. Michigan (E), OSU (E), Nebraska (W), Penn St (E)
2. Michigan St (E), Wisconsin (W), Minnesota (W)
3. Iowa (W), Purdue (W), Illinois (W), Maryland (E)
4. Northwestern (W), Indiana (E), Rutgers (E)

My attempt to predict the tiers for the next 10 years, based on current program status, coaches, facilities, investment, fan support:
1. OSU (E), Michigan (E), Wisconsin (W)
2. Penn St (E), Nebraska (W)
3. Michigan St (E), Iowa (W), Northwestern (W), Purdue (W), Minnesota (W)
4. Maryland (E), Illinois (W), Rutgers (E), Indiana (E)

The top heaviness of the East can be offset by a Nebraska that is on even footing with Penn State and the strength of the middle of the West.

Last edited:
I imagine Frost will utilize his system that got him here, as he's shown to put lots of points up, similar to Brohm. Back in the Nebraska hey-day with Osborne they ran the option with their best teams. They have very mobile QB's (Frazier/Crouch) with fast RB's and huge O-linemen. Doubt he goes to this-

Frost will have to coach D too. UCF basically outscored folks. He will make them better but week in and week out competition just got a hellva lot better.

Frost will have to coach D too. UCF basically outscored folks. He will make them better but week in and week out competition just got a hellva lot better.
they out scored last 2 games games. defense was not bad rest of the season.
17, 10, 13, 23, 21, ,21, 24,24 alot of those points game when game was already over

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT