ADVERTISEMENT

Sampson James visiting

We get a few of them. you need a lot of them to compete for conference titles year after year.
And it'll take quite the build to get to that point. Honestly I think most Purdue fans would be happy with competing at the top levels of the conference (which would likely be a top 15 team) every 4 to 5 years of building and getting 7-8 wins every other year.

Reactions: phila
Orton should have been a 5 star recruit...really can't understand how he wasn't considering he was the #1 PP in his class at 6'4 and 220 as a senior in high school. Been a few others that were high 4 stars that should have been 5's but appeared not to get the bump because of their commitment to Purdue.
My point was that Purdue is not exactly a place where highly touted recruits have regularly become nationally renowned and improve their game. It isn't a pleasant thing but I believe Brohm can and will turn that around. It will take some time, but showing consistency in getting top players into top draft picks is the only solution.

So 4 star was as high as it got back then? So why do people bitch and complain about Tiller not getting big time recruits? Purdue has shown an ability to do so when they have been good and can't when they suck....not much different from other programs.

I've rewatched a couple games from the early Tiller era, and there were a ton of players who played in the NFL. At one time, I think there were 3 future NFL players blocking for Drew!

I've rewatched a couple games from the early Tiller era, and there were a ton of players who played in the NFL. At one time, I think there were 3 future NFL players blocking for Drew!

4 starters from the 2000 line played in the NFL.

Reactions: Purdue85
1970; 6 (Phipps)
1971; 5
1972; 4
1973; 8 (Butz,Armstrong, Stingley) 3-1st Rounders & 2-2nd Round

4 starters from the 2000 line played in the NFL.
I believe all 5 starters played in the NFL and, as a bonus, had several Super Bowl Rings to show for their efforts:
Matt Light - Pats 01-11 (3 Super Bowl Championships, 5 appearances)
Ian Allen - Giants 02-03, Eagles 04, Cardinals 05 (Super Bowl appearance 2004)
Chukky Okobi - Steelers 01-06 (1 Super Bowl Championship)
Gene Mruzkowski - Pats 04-06, Dolphins 07 (2 Super Bowl Championships)
Brandon Gorin - Pats 03-05, Rams 07, Broncos 09 (2 Super Bowl Championships)

So, in total 8 Super Bowl Championship rings, 11 Super Bowl appearances).

I believe all 5 starters played in the NFL and, as a bonus, had several Super Bowl Rings to show for their efforts:
Matt Light - Pats 01-11 (3 Super Bowl Championships, 5 appearances)
Ian Allen - Giants 02-03, Eagles 04, Cardinals 05 (Super Bowl appearance 2004)
Chukky Okobi - Steelers 01-06 (1 Super Bowl Championship)
Gene Mruzkowski - Pats 04-06, Dolphins 07 (2 Super Bowl Championships)
Brandon Gorin - Pats 03-05, Rams 07, Broncos 09 (2 Super Bowl Championships)

So, in total 8 Super Bowl Championship rings, 11 Super Bowl appearances).

Wasn’t turned the 5th starter?

I agree with all the things coming out on this situation with that staff member

I don't the coach misses many/if any actual games. This is just to appease. To be honest, lying during a press conference doesn't violate any rules. It looks bad, but the coach in question is gone (granted, 3 years after he should have been terminated).

Penn State recovered after the worst scandal that one could possibly have. This is nowhere on that level. If he didn't have 3 championships, maybe they would move on, but I am not seeing it. I haven't seen anybody point out rules that were broken.

Would love to flip James, but if he does, I can't see this scandal having much to do with it.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I don't the coach misses many/if any actual games. This is just to appease. To be honest, lying during a press conference doesn't violate any rules. It looks bad, but the coach in question is gone (granted, 3 years after he should have been terminated).

Penn State recovered after the worst scandal that one could possibly have. This is nowhere on that level. If he didn't have 3 championships, maybe they would move on, but I am not seeing it. I haven't seen anybody point out rules that were broken.

Would love to flip James, but if he does, I can't see this scandal having much to do with it.
Lying in general about something isn't against the rules, it's that he possibly lied about knowing information that by law he is required to report. Definitely not looking good for him.

As for James, Brohm followed him on twitter the night Urban was put on leave. Looks like coach is going to work.

Lying in general about something isn't against the rules, it's that he possibly lied about knowing information that by law he is required to report. Definitely not looking good for him.

As for James, Brohm followed him on twitter the night Urban was put on leave. Looks like coach is going to work.

What law says he has to report that crime? I can tell you, a police officer can only take a report from the victim. Even if he went to the police, it is still up to the victim to report the crime. Again, if there is an NCAA violation about reporting domestic violence, then he broke a rule. But I have yet to see a rule he broke.

What law says he has to report that crime? I can tell you, a police officer can only take a report from the victim. Even if he went to the police, it is still up to the victim to report the crime. Again, if there is an NCAA violation about reporting domestic violence, then he broke a rule. But I have yet to see a rule he broke.
Hes a mandatory reporter under title ix

Yes, any allegation of domestic misconduct must be reported to someone higher.

There were 3 ways where this potentially falls on Meyer. Title IX is one. Another is a clause in his contract. I can't remember the 3rd at the moment.

I've gone back and forth the last 24 hours on whether I think he survives this. At the moment I'm on the side that he will not.

I went through title 9, (trust me, it's a tough read), and Domestic violence is covered. This is a similar violation to what happened in Baylor, although Baylor was much more severe as to talking victim's into not reporting. He could lose his job over a title 9 violations and Ohio State could face sanctions.

His wife being a nursing instrutor falls under the same umbrella of responsibility at the university. Now she may lay on the knife and say she never told him to save his hide, but that would be hard to believe but equally as hard to prove she told him.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Poppycock. It's not impossible at all. You simply search for offers. It's really pretty easy.

If you go back to 2002 and look solely at the list of Purdue offers, we offered 4 5-star players and 13 4-star players. That's 17. Those players chose the likes of Miami, ND, Oklahoma, USC, et al. And, some chose Purdue.

In 2003, Tiller again offered 13 4-star players. Those players chose the likes of Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma (and some chose Purdue).

Your argument doesn't wash.

That was true when Tiller had a top notch staff. A few years later there was an almost complete turnover of staff, and they seemed to be far less talented in recruiting and actual coaching prowess than Tiller’s first group of assistants. The staff turnover has never been adequately explained to me.

Retired: Mullah Ibn Parknmykarkus

That was true when Tiller had a top notch staff. A few years later there was an almost complete turnover of staff, and they seemed to be far less talented in recruiting and actual coaching prowess than Tiller’s first group of assistants. The staff turnover has never been adequately explained to me.

Retired: Mullah Ibn Parknmykarkus
I am sure they all had their different reasons. However, I think the majority of the Tiller turnover was due to compensation. They were able to go to other places and get higher salaries. We did not pay our assistants like other schools did back then. That is why Brohm and Bobinski have made it a priority to make sure that the assistants are compensated well also.

I went through title 9, (trust me, it's a tough read), and Domestic violence is covered. This is a similar violation to what happened in Baylor, although Baylor was much more severe as to talking victim's into not reporting. He could lose his job over a title 9 violations and Ohio State could face sanctions.
I believe that refers to domestic violence issues directly related to Title IX protected parties and circumstances, not a general requirement that one must report any domestic violence issues unrelated to Title IX protections.

The Purdue Compliance Guide is at
https://www.purdue.edu/titleix/complianceGuide/index.html

I think the larger issue for Meyer is whether his actions were in violation of his employment contract whi h seems to go beyond required Title IX reports.

And it'll take quite the build to get to that point. Honestly I think most Purdue fans would be happy with competing at the top levels of the conference (which would likely be a top 15 team) every 4 to 5 years of building and getting 7-8 wins every other year.

Every other year?

Poor sentence structure. Competing at the top of the conference every 4 or 5 years and getting 7-8 wins in all the other years. I didn’t mean every other year as in every two years.

Ok I was gonna say. If we got 7-8 every year would I be ecstatic? No... but I’d be pretty happy not to have to watch 4 and 5 win teams ever

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Ok I was gonna say. If we got 7-8 every year would I be ecstatic? No... but I’d be pretty happy not to have to watch 4 and 5 win teams ever
Thing is, if Purdue is consistently at the 7-8 regular season wins...likely means Purdue is in the other games and could easily grab 9-10. Baseline should always be 7 regular season wins in the B1G, imo.

Thing is, if Purdue is consistently at the 7-8 regular season wins...likely means Purdue is in the other games and could easily grab 9-10. Baseline should always be 7 regular season wins in the B1G, imo.

Yes.. in today’s era we just shouldn’t go 5-7 or worse anymore.

I agree

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT