ADVERTISEMENT

Sampson James visiting

We will definitely have immediate playing opportunity at RB in 2019 with graduations at that position this year.

Even if Hazell competed, he would never would have won any of those recruiting battles. Brohm is showing he will win some of those battles against the Blue Blood programs.

Hazell, again?

Guys, get over it.

This ain't the past. Enjoy the now.

Let's not have the jilted lover's forum.

I doubt there is any love lost or ever was any love for the previous coach not to be named. or the previous AD whose name is all butt forgotten. However, there was a public press conference that informed Purdue alumni that said to be the best, Purdue needs to compete with the best both on and off the field. Part of that was to build a new training facility. In order to win a championship, you must first win the recruiting battles. It's refreshing to see Brohm accepting the challenge. When it comes to recruiting battles, I'm not sure even Tiller competed for the same players OSU, ND and Michigan were drooling over.

Reactions: Mullah
I doubt there is any love lost or ever was any love for the previous coach not to be named. or the previous AD whose name is all butt forgotten. However, there was a public press conference that informed Purdue alumni that said to be the best, Purdue needs to compete with the best both on and off the field. Part of that was to build a new training facility. In order to win a championship, you must first win the recruiting battles. It's refreshing to see Brohm accepting the challenge. When it comes to recruiting battles, I'm not sure even Tiller competed for the same players OSU, ND and Michigan were drooling over.

Not sure what all that really means, or how it refutes my point.

That last sentence is goofy. I recall several players Tiller went after that were also heavily recruited by those programs.

One in particular who comes to mind was a highly-rated DL from the Columbus OH area, who ultimately signed with OSU. If that ain't goin' toe-to-toe with OSU, you and I have different ideas as to what that really means!

Reactions: pboiler18
Just because we didn’t win, doesn’t mean we didn’t go after highly rated players.

We did many times over the Tiller era.

Less so when Hope and Haze were here.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
I think this years in state talent is some of the best overall I have seen in quite some time...probably since Jason Werner's class. The top 5 guys all appear to be really high ranked 4* guys and Purdue already has Karlaftis. If some how Purdue can reel in one more of those guys, it would mark the first time since 2005 that Purdue would have signed two 4 meaningful 4* players or more. In 2012, the two were Carlos Carvajal and Ryan Watson...those two didn't exactly pan out really well....especially Carvajal.

The fact Brohm is getting these highly rated guys to return to campus for return visits and hopefully get them back in during the spring game or to the first game against Northwestern. George has been hitting some of these guys up and hopefully his commitment leads to a few more of these guys.

Not naming the coach, but if you refer to the databases on a different site, you can bring up the offers and targets and it was very clear our football coaches were neither targeting or offering the same caliber of talent that OSU and Mich we're going after. It was basically the coach was only targeting players he thought he had a chance of signing.

And by doing so, he was handicapping the team before they ever started! It's one thing to compete for a player and lose like basketball's JJJ. It's another thing to not even try and just accept defeat.

Win or lose, I love the fact Brohm is actually willing to go head to head with the big boys for a player he wants.

Reactions: colvin22
Not naming the coach, but if you refer to the databases on a different site, you can bring up the offers and targets and it was very clear our football coaches were neither targeting or offering the same caliber of talent that OSU and Mich we're going after. It was basically the coach was only targeting players he thought he had a chance of signing.

And by doing so, he was handicapping the team before they ever started! It's one thing to compete for a player and lose like basketball's JJJ. It's another thing to not even try and just accept defeat.

Win or lose, I love the fact Brohm is actually willing to go head to head with the big boys for a player he wants.

Now you're moving the goal posts.

The issue was NOT whether or not "our football coaches were ... targeting or offering the same caliber of talent that OSU and Mich we're (sic) going after."

The issue was whether or not "Tiller competed for the same players OSU, ND and Michigan were drooling over."

The answer is, absolutely(!) he was going after some of the same players!

It's absurd to think Tiller (or any other Purdue football coach) would be going after EXACTLY "the same caliber of talent that OSU and Mich we're (sic) going after."

Now you're moving the goal posts.

The issue was NOT whether or not "our football coaches were ... targeting or offering the same caliber of talent that OSU and Mich we're (sic) going after."

The issue was whether or not "Tiller competed for the same players OSU, ND and Michigan were drooling over."

The answer is, absolutely(!) he was going after some of the same players!

It's absurd to think Tiller (or any other Purdue football coach) would be going after EXACTLY "the same caliber of talent that OSU and Mich we're (sic) going after."

since the internet recruiting ratings only go back so far, it's impossible to prove or disprove how many of the same players Tiller actively recruited that were also actively recruited by OSU , Michigan and ND. We all know the story of Drew Brees and his recruitment. What was the story of Woodson, Schweigert, George, Keena Turner, Kerrigan and Light? I really have no memory who else was recruiting or interested in George. he was a 5* athlete. I know we beat out MSU for Schweigert as Rogers went to MSU. Kerrigan, Light and Turner were all talented 3*s that developed into stars.

it's a given that OSU, Michigan and ND recruit and sign some 3* athletes. And Purdue has recruited and signed some 4* athletes.

but if you look at the existing databases of recent Purdue targets/offers, you will see very few that were 4/5 * . We target very few 4/5 * athletes. And typically the 4/5* athletes Purdue targets are not the same ones the BIG 3 target. How many times do you see a Purdue coach targeting the same 4/5 star athletes ND, OSU and MICH are recruiting? and unlike many of his predecessors, that appears exactly what Brohm is doing. he's going head to head with the best for the best.

two recent examples were Robinson and Etlin. Robinson was recruited by Michigan and Notre Dame, but never received a offer from either per 24/7. and Etlin's best offers came from Colorado and Iowa. if you look at OSU, MICH or ND, you will rarely see any of their signees having even received offers from Purdue. it was as if once one of the BIG 3 got into the picture, Purdue bowed out of the race.

but, Brohm is changing that past. he's taking on the big boys and going after that same talent. I doubt he wins many battles, but I have confidence he'll win a few. and he's at least making the effort.

Reactions: Mullah
Recruits with legit national offers that landed at Purdue off the top of my head.

Orton
Schweigert (he is the reason Lloyd took Indianas best every year)
Baker (really didnt know that one?)
Edwards
Bushong
Paxson
Van Dyke
Pollard
Allen
Ross

Recruits with legit national offers that landed at Purdue off the top of my head.

Orton
Schweigert (he is the reason Lloyd took Indianas best every year)
Baker (really didnt know that one?)
Edwards
Bushong
Paxson
Van Dyke
Pollard
Allen
Ross
You can add Lymon, Plue, Robinson, and now Moore. Paxson was an asterisk, since he never showed at Purdue and chose to play baseball.

since the internet recruiting ratings only go back so far, it's impossible to prove or disprove how many of the same players Tiller actively recruited that were also actively recruited by OSU , Michigan and ND. We all know the story of Drew Brees and his recruitment. What was the story of Woodson, Schweigert, George, Keena Turner, Kerrigan and Light? I really have no memory who else was recruiting or interested in George. he was a 5* athlete. I know we beat out MSU for Schweigert as Rogers went to MSU. Kerrigan, Light and Turner were all talented 3*s that developed into stars.

it's a given that OSU, Michigan and ND recruit and sign some 3* athletes. And Purdue has recruited and signed some 4* athletes.

but if you look at the existing databases of recent Purdue targets/offers, you will see very few that were 4/5 * . We target very few 4/5 * athletes. And typically the 4/5* athletes Purdue targets are not the same ones the BIG 3 target. How many times do you see a Purdue coach targeting the same 4/5 star athletes ND, OSU and MICH are recruiting? and unlike many of his predecessors, that appears exactly what Brohm is doing. he's going head to head with the best for the best.

two recent examples were Robinson and Etlin. Robinson was recruited by Michigan and Notre Dame, but never received a offer from either per 24/7. and Etlin's best offers came from Colorado and Iowa. if you look at OSU, MICH or ND, you will rarely see any of their signees having even received offers from Purdue. it was as if once one of the BIG 3 got into the picture, Purdue bowed out of the race.

but, Brohm is changing that past. he's taking on the big boys and going after that same talent. I doubt he wins many battles, but I have confidence he'll win a few. and he's at least making the effort.

Poppycock. It's not impossible at all. You simply search for offers. It's really pretty easy.

If you go back to 2002 and look solely at the list of Purdue offers, we offered 4 5-star players and 13 4-star players. That's 17. Those players chose the likes of Miami, ND, Oklahoma, USC, et al. And, some chose Purdue.

In 2003, Tiller again offered 13 4-star players. Those players chose the likes of Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma (and some chose Purdue).

Your argument doesn't wash.

The point was not about offering 4* players! My point was about offering 4/5* players that also received offers from Mich, OSU and ND!

My original point was a comparison to Hazell, but that upset people. So I expanded the point to say Tiller also shied away from recruiting against those 3 schools.

James is a 4* recruit that already has offers from OSU, Mich and ND! Name me the last 4/5* Purdue recruit that could also claim the same. My point and belief is that it sure doesn't happen very often no matter who our coach was, including Tiller .

The point was not about offering 4* players! My point was about offering 4/5* players that also received offers from Mich, OSU and ND!

My original point was a comparison to Hazell, but that upset people. So I expanded the point to say Tiller also shied away from recruiting against those 3 schools.

James is a 4* recruit that already has offers from OSU, Mich and ND! Name me the last 4/5* Purdue recruit that could also claim the same. My point and belief is that it sure doesn't happen very often no matter who our coach was, including Tiller .
The players i listed had offers from the three you listed and other contenders.

I think its interesting that during the Mollenkolph years in late 1960's Purdue went up against every so called college football blueblood and won a number of high profile recruiting battles. From 1964-1970 we were routinely ranked in top ten pre-season lists.There were no Recruiting Class Rankings then but The Parade HS All American Teams were pretty much the template used before recruiting services got involved.

Biggest fish was probably Dave Butz out of Maine South HS-based on interview he gave the Exponent his senior yr, he said that he had offers from 132 schools? He chose PU over UM-his uncle, Earl Butz (head of Ag dept) helped seal the deal.

That same recruiting class garnered Otis Armstrong, Daryl Stingley (both from Chi Public League and HS All-Americans who chose PU over UW, Neb). Steve Baumgartner,Gregg Bingham from Chi Catholic League,John Handy, Lockport IL HS, Gary Danielson,chose PU over UM & ND etc, etc

Since then, we can no longer get top recruits out of Chicago area like before. I suspect Ron Meyer was the difference in 1960's. Didn't hurt that he drove around W Laf in a bright blue corvette which he used when out recruiting either ........................
I think when word gets around that Brohm is visiting Indy or Chicago schools has a bigger pull than if the name Hazell is dropped. Brohm is a known commodity based on name alone...that helps immensely. It also doesn’t hurt that high school coaches are using husbands stuff either and can point to that if a kid Ian getting recruited (ie: Moore).

I'm not sure I follow what wiggle room you're trying to give yourself with the "4/5*" nonsense.

Hazell offered 5-star Ben Davis (not the school) from AL who went to . . . Alabama. Now, I'm fairly certain you're going to use the "I didn't say Alabama I said OSU/UM/ND" card . . . AM.I.RIGHT.OR.AM.I.RIGHT...

Hazell also offered 5-star Demetrius Robinson who had offers from Alabama, ND, Clemson, Florida, Michigan, and others, but went to Cal. Of course, he didn't go to Michigan/OSU/ND, so there's your 'out'. (I'm making this too easy for you to wiggle again.)

Shall I go on?

It would be a very good idea to do some research before posting something so demonstrably false.

Edit: By the way, those two were in the same recruiting class.

As late as the 1985 Parade All American Hs team, Leon Burnett was able to sign (2) off the (33) man roster. Today, these 33 would be considered 5 star recruits.

We all know Jeff George .... but who was the other one who Leon signed and enrolled? Does anyone know?

Rod Woodson

Avon’s Sampson James just committed to Ohio State, per his Twitter account.

Keep recruiting him

Would be a tough one to sway. Have to look at their run game and ours over the past few years and like what you see there vs. question marks here.

I like the kid and want him. 99% off the board at this point though id say.

Would be a tough one to sway. Have to look at their run game and ours over the past few years and like what you see there vs. question marks here.

Depends. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets recruited over in this class.

Hopefully takes Keshawn King off OSU radar.

Dobbins will be the starting RB for 2 more years. Plus they signed 3 4* RBs just this last class, now they get Sampson. I don't see why Sampson would look at OSU and see any immediate playing time.

Reactions: Yellowstone1004
Dobbins will be the starting RB for 2 more years. Plus they signed 3 4* RBs just this last class, now they get Sampson. I don't see why Sampson would look at OSU and see any immediate playing time.
Because schools like OSU put their backups in the NFL still. You are correct that he would likely be a workhorse type back here but the kid may idolize Eddie George or has been a Buckeye fan for his entire life. Whatever it might be the kid isn’t any better or worse for going some where other than Purdue (we’d just think he was much better had he actually chosen Purdue, lol).

Because schools like OSU put their backups in the NFL still. You are correct that he would likely be a workhorse type back here but the kid may idolize Eddie George or has been a Buckeye fan for his entire life. Whatever it might be the kid isn’t any better or worse for going some where other than Purdue (we’d just think he was much better had he actually chosen Purdue, lol).
Eddie George? Showing your age.

Woof, i was a sophomore in high school when he won the heisman... 22 years ago. I need a drink.

Reactions: Purdue85
And we need to be fair to our history as well. Purdue has been where big time recruits go to languish (generally) while the lunch pail type recruits use it as a place to shine. I hope Brohm can change that history, but our record with highly touted recruits doesn't exactly sell itself.

And we need to be fair to our history as well. Purdue has been where big time recruits go to languish (generally) while the lunch pail type recruits use it as a place to shine. I hope Brohm can change that history, but our record with highly touted recruits doesn't exactly sell itself.
Orton should have been a 5 star recruit...really can't understand how he wasn't considering he was the #1 PP in his class at 6'4 and 220 as a senior in high school. Been a few others that were high 4 stars that should have been 5's but appeared not to get the bump because of their commitment to Purdue.

Orton should have been a 5 star recruit...really can't understand how he wasn't considering he was the #1 PP in his class at 6'4 and 220 as a senior in high school. Been a few others that were high 4 stars that should have been 5's but appeared not to get the bump because of their commitment to Purdue.

When Orton came in, im pretty sure it was a 4 star scale. Same with Stu.

When Orton came in, im pretty sure it was a 4 star scale. Same with Stu.
So 4 star was as high as it got back then? So why do people bitch and complain about Tiller not getting big time recruits? Purdue has shown an ability to do so when they have been good and can't when they suck....not much different from other programs.

So 4 star was as high as it got back then? So why do people bitch and complain about Tiller not getting big time recruits? Purdue has shown an ability to do so when they have been good and can't when they suck....not much different from other programs.
We get a few of them. you need a lot of them to compete for conference titles year after year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT