ADVERTISEMENT

Sampson James to Purdue

Ramsey had 2.5+ years to compete and lost the competition. You really think the best thing a HC should do in that situation is lie to the kid and pretend there is still a real competition going?

As for “allowing competition,” do you think Justin Fields was splitting first team reps in fall camp last year? Or do you just think Ryan Day doesn’t know what he’s doing and doesn’t understand competition and CFB quite as well as you do?
We aren’t talking about Ryan Day, Justin Fields, or a program even close to OSU.

Coy Cronk and Matthew Bedford would have been starting right next to each other at guard and tackle. There's no sense in having your two best OL compete for one spot. Bedford is a much more athletic and rangy LT more suitable for protecting the QB's blindside. Again, this has nothing to do with competing for playing time but everything to do with strategy and scheme. You're making this entirely more difficult than it needs to be. It's not that deep.
The qb’s blind side is on the right at IU, not the left, so Cronk and Bedford wouldn’t have played next to each other. Cronk was IUs best lineman. He wasn’t even allowed to compete for the spot he started at for 3 years. Most coaches wouldn’t do that.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
The qb’s blind side is on the right at IU, not the left, so Cronk and Bedford wouldn’t have played next to each other. Cronk was IUs best lineman. He wasn’t even allowed to compete for the spot he started at for 3 years. Most coaches wouldn’t do that.
You keep saying that they were not allowed to compete how do you know that because their families say that? Both Cronk and Ramsey were very popular yet there was no uprising among players no mass exodus and yet players really seem to like Allen. Maybe you’re wrong ?

Coy Cronk played LT his first 3 years at IU while Richard Lagow and Peyton Ramsey were the starting QB's (both right-handed) and played a quarter of one season at IU while Penix was the starter (Penix missed OSU and UConn game early) before getting hurt. Bedford replaced Cronk as the weakside tackle after Penix got hurt and then flipped to LT to protect Ramsey's backside once Penix got hurt.

Context matters in these situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Because comparing the situations of Justin Fields, the #2 NFL QB prospect going into 2020, and Michael Penix, a guy who has yet to finish a season unhurt is the same?
What’s different about them that makes having a fake QB competition to trick a guy into sticking around sound intelligent, to you?

Coy Cronk played LT his first 3 years at IU while Richard Lagow and Peyton Ramsey were the starting QB's (both right-handed) and played a quarter of one season at IU while Penix was the starter (Penix missed OSU and UConn game early) before getting hurt. Bedford replaced Cronk as the weakside tackle after Penix got hurt and then flipped to LT to protect Ramsey's backside once Penix got hurt.

Context matters in these situations.
You said they were both going to start on the left. That wasn’t correct, and it had nothing to do with context at all.

that’s what I thought lmao no rebuttal from the keyboard coach.
Not true, but not even IU fans think their coach, about or team is anywhere close to OSU, at team you last beat before you were born. I Understand why you guys have to come here, but some facts would help you be better posters.

Reactions: purduepat1969
What’s different about them that makes having a fake QB competition to trick a guy into sticking around sound intelligent, to you?
Why do you think having anything but a legitimate competition would’ve made sense? Why didn’t those two players deserve the opportunity to compete for their positions? Truly curious why you see that as a negative. I know there’s no real IU football forum on Rivals anymore, but you guys need to up your game.

Seems like a theme of Allen and staff telling players what they think will actually happen... i.e., the truth.

Ramsey was good at IU: provided leadership and game management. The year before Ramsey transferred he also lost the job to Penix, but chose to stay and ended up starting a bowl game. Then, when presented with the same situation a year later, he decided to bolt. Tuttle turned into the backup who provided similar game management.

Also, I know that this was rivalry fodder on a Purdue board, but IMO anyone that joins an interesting thread by saying the jury is still out as to whether Tom Allen has been a major success at IU Football (note-a historically AWFUL program) loses credibility. Top 20 again to start this year. Best recruiting class in school history lined up, and wins beyond what IUFB has ever expected. Penn ST., UM, Wisky, and MSU sucked last year? Okay--IUFB has always sucked waaaay worse, even when those teams had down years.

Finally--I like Horvath--he runs hard and seems like a RB that adds to winning. He's not as fast, as quick, or as highly regarded as Sampson James. So what! In my opinion James is a talented player that has a knack for not making plays while Horvath seems to be in the right place at the right time. That's why James didn't play on passing downs and went from 2nd to 3rd string during last season, and was destined to be 3rd string (or worse?) again this year at IU. James saw the writing on the wall--he worked hard and still wasn't going to be a featured back--seems smart for him to get into a new system.

Why do you think having anything but a legitimate competition would’ve made sense? Why didn’t those two players deserve the opportunity to compete for their positions? Truly curious why you see that as a negative. I know there’s no real IU football forum on Rivals anymore, but you guys need to up your game.
I think I can safely answer that legit question: Because Penix is a better, FAR more talented QB, and the coaches who saw these players every day knew that beyond any doubt. Any "competition" between them would have been a farce.

There was a competition for 3 years Ramsey was named the starter the first year Penix the next 2 years. You have hearsay info from a father who may believe his son was slighted. Maybe the new competition is between Penix and Tuttle. I do hope that if the IU job opens up you throw your name in the hat because it is obvious that you know much more about IU football than the coaches are there everyday evaluating players and situations.

Seems like a theme of Allen and staff telling players what they think will actually happen... i.e., the truth.

Ramsey was good at IU: provided leadership and game management. The year before Ramsey transferred he also lost the job to Penix, but chose to stay and ended up starting a bowl game. Then, when presented with the same situation a year later, he decided to bolt. Tuttle turned into the backup who provided similar game management.

Also, I know that this was rivalry fodder on a Purdue board, but IMO anyone that joins an interesting thread by saying the jury is still out as to whether Tom Allen has been a major success at IU Football (note-a historically AWFUL program) loses credibility. Top 20 again to start this year. Best recruiting class in school history lined up, and wins beyond what IUFB has ever expected. Penn ST., UM, Wisky, and MSU sucked last year? Okay--IUFB has always sucked waaaay worse, even when those teams had down years.

Finally--I like Horvath--he runs hard and seems like a RB that adds to winning. He's not as fast, as quick, or as highly regarded as Sampson James. So what! In my opinion James is a talented player that has a knack for not making plays while Horvath seems to be in the right place at the right time. That's why James didn't play on passing downs and went from 2nd to 3rd string during last season, and was destined to be 3rd string (or worse?) again this year at IU. James saw the writing on the wall--he worked hard and still wasn't going to be a featured back--seems smart for him to get into a new system.
my goodness... would you people just stop?

Coach LEO is 1-2 against Brohm ... a coach so many IU fans love to disparage.

You're still not beating teams with a winning record.

You still can't win a bowl game, even against a marginal team with a decimated roster.

Again... if you're looking for validation, it isn't here. If you're not, stop selling the suspect success of one the worst programs in the history of CFB.

James' relationships/connections to IU bolted. They left. He left. It's not a coincidence. Stop making it sound like the kid can't compete, when you have no evidence to support it.

my goodness... would you people just stop?

You still can't win a bowl game, even against a marginal team with a decimated roster.

Again... if you're looking for validation, it isn't here. If you're not, stop selling the suspect success of one the worst programs in the history of CFB.

James' relationships/connections to IU bolted. They left. He left. It's not a coincidence. Stop making it sound like the kid can't compete, when you have no evidence to support it.
“Suspect success” Good stuff lol.

I think I can safely answer that legit question: Because Penix is a better, FAR more talented QB, and the coaches who saw these players every day knew that beyond any doubt. Any "competition" between them would have been a farce.
Fair enough. Easy to see why Ramsey wanted to play for a coach who allowed him to compete rather than one who didn’t. Same goes for Cronk. Hopefully, that doesn’t hurt The Rev Coach LEO like it did one of your former basketball coaches.

There was a competition for 3 years Ramsey was named the starter the first year Penix the next 2 years. You have hearsay info from a father who may believe his son was slighted. Maybe the new competition is between Penix and Tuttle. I do hope that if the IU job opens up you throw your name in the hat because it is obvious that you know much more about IU football than the coaches are there everyday evaluating players and situations.
Just wondered if any of you three IU fans left on Rivals could explain why Ramsey didn't deserved to compete for the job. Looks like your excuse machine is in mid season form.

“Suspect success” Good stuff lol.
He’s beaten one Big 10 team with a winning record, and they barely practiced for the last five games of the year. At least try to have a few facts. No wonder your board is so dead. Well, any Rivals veteran knows why your board is really empty.

He’s beaten one Big 10 team with a winning record, and they barely practiced for the last five games of the year. At least try to have a few facts. No wonder your board is so dead. Well, any Rivals veteran knows why your board is really empty.
I’ve never been on any IU Rivals board. There are very active IU boards. Guess Rivals ain’t one of them.

Just wondered if any of you three IU fans left on Rivals could explain why Ramsey didn't deserved to compete for the job. Looks like your excuse machine is in mid season form.
Again who said he was not going to be given the opportunity to compete out side of you and maybe Coach Ramsey. Never heard anyone inside the program say it. Don’t you think that somewhere among 120 or so players someone would have have complained.

This entire discussion is insane. Nobody outside of the parties involved knows what truly transpired. Move on.

Again who said he was not going to be given the opportunity to compete out side of you and maybe Coach Ramsey. Never heard anyone inside the program say it. Don’t you think that somewhere among 120 or so players someone would have have complained.
Why do you think he and Coy‘s decision to leave was so surprising to Coach LEO? Why did neither thank him for their time there?

Why do you think he and Coy‘s decision to leave was so surprising to Coach LEO? Why did neither thank him for their time there?
Lol Peyton’s announcement literally begins, “I would like to thank everyone at Indiana University..,” next. This is just trash-level trolling.

Lol Peyton’s announcement literally begins, “I would like to thank everyone at Indiana University..,” next. This is just trash-level trolling.
What did you think he was going to say? Are you really so dense that you think he would come out with anything but a professional acting statement?

Wait, you're an iu fan and not likely a grad, so I answered my own question. Nevermind.

Reactions: purduepat1969
No debate on the points. Good stuff lol.

Tom Allen Record at Indiana
2017Indiana5–72–77th (East)
2018Indiana5–72–76th (East)
2019Indiana8–55–44th (East)
2020Indiana6–26–12nd (East)

Okay--you specifically requested the substance supporting that the Tom Allen era has been a real (not suspect) success: Purdue football has had its ups and downs--maybe it's hard to imagine just how bad a P5 program IUFB has been--with practically no "ups" before Tom Allen took over:
  • He is the first Indiana football coach to have an IU career +.500 winning percentage in 74 years. If he goes above .500 in conference for the third straight year this year, it will be the first time ever that IUFB has done that in the B1G. If he can get to above .500 overall for the next two years, that will be the first time ever (since 1899) that IUFB has done so for four straight years.
  • First coaching staff to have IUFB ranked, for even one week, in 27 years. Highest IUFB poll ranking in 54 years.
  • Recruiting class ranking (247 composite) has gone from 62 nationally, 13th in B1G his first year, to 25th nationally, 6th in B1G.
My point? We're not talking Bama or OSU success standards here. For IUFB the Tom Allen era has been an absolute success so far, and that's before he had the level of recruits that he is now pulling. When the rivalry fanbase comes up with "Coach LEO" as a snarky nickname (btw, Tom Allen would fully endorse that nickname) instead of "Coach Laughingstock" that's a good sign.

Last edited:

Okay--you specifically requested the substance supporting that the Tom Allen era has been a real (not suspect) success: Purdue football has had its ups and downs--maybe it's hard to imagine just how bad a P5 program IUFB has been--with practically no "ups" before Tom Allen took over:
  • He is the first Indiana football coach to have an IU career +.500 winning percentage in 74 years. If he goes above .500 in conference for the third straight year this year, it will be the first time ever that IUFB has done that in the B1G. If he can get to above .500 overall for the next two years, that will be the first time ever (since 1899) that IUFB has done so for four straight years.
  • First coaching staff to have IUFB ranked, for even one week, in 27 years. Highest IUFB poll ranking in 54 years.
  • Recruiting class ranking (247 composite) has gone from 62 nationally, 13th in B1G his first year, to 25th nationally, 6th in B1G.
My point? We're not talking Bama or OSU success standards here. For IUFB the Tom Allen era has been an absolute success so far, and that's before he had the level of recruits that he is now pulling. When the rivalry fanbase comes up with "Coach LEO" as a snarky nickname (btw, Tom Allen would fully endorse that nickname) instead of "Coach Laughingstock" that's a good sign.

What did you think he was going to say? Are you really so dense that you think he would come out with anything but a professional acting statement?

Wait, you're an iu fan and not likely a grad, so I answered my own question. Nevermind.
I think your comment is directed at the wrong person. I wasn’t the one who suggested he didn’t thank IU. I agree it’s moronic to think he wouldn’t.

Again... if you're looking for validation, it isn't here.
Clearly, I triggered you with the word, "suspect".

Again, none of my points are arguable.

Clearly, I triggered you with the word, "suspect".

Again, none of my points are arguable.
Geez -- you question Allen's success, state that I am not willing to debate that issue on substance, and then when I list substance u stop debating the issue by saying i was triggered.

If you're trying to clear the thread of substance you've done so. Stay well-- i'm over and out!

Geez -- you question Allen's success, state that I am not willing to debate that issue on substance, and then when I list substance u stop debating the issue by saying i was triggered.

If you're trying to clear the thread of substance you've done so. Stay well-- i'm over and out!

I didn't "question his success", I stated facts. You were triggered by those facts.
Have a great weekend.

Reactions: Level 42

Yeah, he is gone. FWIW, Allen has been good for I.U. & I expect we'll beat I.U. this year. If I were Brohm, I'd go all J.Tiller on them and delver the beat down on little brother with gloves off. I don't think a 52-7 game will happen, but fun to dream nonetheless. Have a great & safe weekend everyone.

Reactions: goboilers2

Allen has been a "success" by IU standards. And that's it. I think IU needs to work on beating teams with a pulse on a regular basis and actually winning a bowl game against anyone before you can consider his tenure a success in general.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT