ADVERTISEMENT

Sampson James to Purdue

Nice pickup…. Your RB room certainly got better and ours a little weaker. I was excited when we got him on the flip from OSU. He just didnt gain traction at IU. I saw a stat that if you removed the one Purdue game he averaged less than 3 yards a carry. He is only concerned about playing football and the NFL from what the talk on our board said…I’d like to see how that translates to PU academics…. He is a bit immature and makes emotional decisions (2nd time in Portal plus the flip) but my bet is he will be fired up for the Oaken Bucket!

He left the team very early in camp which points to expecting to be named #1 outright…. Word is he was #3 starting camp … I still like him and think you guys helped yourselves with the pickup.

see ya at the Bucket!

If King is healthy and trimmed down a bit as reported, I expect James to be #3 on the depth chart here too. Hope he responds well to that. We will need our #3 at some point in the season.

Nice pickup…. Your RB room certainly got better and ours a little weaker. I was excited when we got him on the flip from OSU. He just didnt gain traction at IU. I saw a stat that if you removed the one Purdue game he averaged less than 3 yards a carry. He is only concerned about playing football and the NFL from what the talk on our board said…I’d like to see how that translates to PU academics…. He is a bit immature and makes emotional decisions (2nd time in Portal plus the flip) but my bet is he will be fired up for the Oaken Bucket!

He left the team very early in camp which points to expecting to be named #1 outright…. Word is he was #3 starting camp … I still like him and think you guys helped yourselves with the pickup.

see ya at the Bucket!
This isn't Edgerrin's kid, is it?

Perhaps Horvath moves into more of a fullback roll. Horvath was essentially forced into the RB role last year due to lack of depth.

a great pick up. ,,, he is a great athlete and provides great depth. nice pick-up.

however, i share the concern from brian's write up and what was expressed in a previous post by an Iu fan. he was originally going to OSU, but decommited to go to IU. I have a feeling he didn't like the competition to play at OSU and thought he'd start at IU. he didn't start at IU and entered the transfer portal last year before returning for another year. my guess is after entering the portal last year, he didn't find any decent offers for his services, so he went back to Iu. and now after their training camp and listed at #3 on their depth chart, he leaves IU after the deadline in hopes of playing at purdue.

if he doesn't gain immediate eligibility and / or start for purdue, i doubt he will stay past this year. I look at him like WR Carr. Carr saw he wasn't going to start, so he left purdue for MSU. it was never about playing basketball. I highly doubt Carr plays a minute for MSU basketball. This is about playing. if he plays, he could be a great contributor. but if s is the #3 RB and gains less than 300 yards this year, i doubt he stays.

It sounds like he was about 4th or 5th on the depth chart for IU and wasn't going to get the touches he wanted.

It's interesting how the narrative keeps changing.

When he decommitted from OSU, and announced for IU, we were told what a great RB he would be at IU.

It was a relationship that got him to IU. When that relationship left for greener pastures, there was nothing keeping him there.

I have no idea how he will perform at Purdue. IU fans rushing to the Purdue forum to talk about how he was "buried on the depth chart" is a fool's play.

Reactions: DAG10
He is, by all accounts a good kid, though somewhat immature.

He is healthy and talented.

He was currently behind Baldwin, Carr, and preferred walk-on Charlie Spegal at IU.

He was currently behind Baldwin, Carr, and preferred walk-on Charlie Spegal at IU.

He was not behind Spegal lol. All indications say he was #3 or #2 with Carr. Tom Allen was surprised and said the team hadn't even begun tackling in practice yet when he decided to transfer.

At Purdue I think currently he's #3 but maybe he can climb to the top. Might not even be eligible this year. Neeeed for depth purposes at the very least here

Reactions: BBG and JRowdy20
He was not behind Spegal lol. All indications say he was #3 or #2 with Carr. Tom Allen was surprised and said the team hadn't even begun tackling in practice yet when he decided to transfer.

At Purdue I think currently he's #3 but maybe he can climb to the top. Might not even be eligible this year. Neeeed for depth purposes at the very least here
Agree to disagree

a great pick up. ,,, he is a great athlete and provides great depth. nice pick-up.

however, i share the concern from brian's write up and what was expressed in a previous post by an Iu fan. he was originally going to OSU, but decommited to go to IU. I have a feeling he didn't like the competition to play at OSU and thought he'd start at IU. he didn't start at IU and entered the transfer portal last year before returning for another year. my guess is after entering the portal last year, he didn't find any decent offers for his services, so he went back to Iu. and now after their training camp and listed at #3 on their depth chart, he leaves IU after the deadline in hopes of playing at purdue.

if he doesn't gain immediate eligibility and / or start for purdue, i doubt he will stay past this year. I look at him like WR Carr. Carr saw he wasn't going to start, so he left purdue for MSU. it was never about playing basketball. I highly doubt Carr plays a minute for MSU basketball. This is about playing. if he plays, he could be a great contributor. but if s is the #3 RB and gains less than 300 yards this year, i doubt he stays.
Who cares? If he doesn’t play and decides to transfer, then it’s no different than if he wouldn’t have transferred here in the first place. Nothing lost from Purdue’s perspective then. If he’s good enough to play, great. If not, it likely means we have 1-2 pretty good running backs ahead of him.

see ya at the
Strange move. He'll be no better than #3 here.
I

he was not behind Spegal. He was #3.

Reactions: wakeman2626
Anymore you almost have to be able to catch the ball out of the backfield to have a shot at the NFL. IU doesn't throw to their backs, so how he was used at IU is probably a lot of it.

Then coach Rev probably sold him a bunch of lies about how this year would be different to keep him out of the portal in the spring and as summer progressed it became clear they have no intention of changing the offense, so he's gone

No I don’t think so…. His HS Coach looked out for him and took him in… I think it is Coach Bless…stories are out there…
Thanks. A friend asked if I'd heard of the Edge's kid going to IU, I did a google and found that his son Eden had been offered but I don't think has accepted yet. I'm still getting over the depression of him having a kid old enough to play college ball. Doesn't seem that long ago he was in Colts blue.

Anymore you almost have to be able to catch the ball out of the backfield to have a shot at the NFL. IU doesn't throw to their backs, so how he was used at IU is probably a lot of it.

Then coach Rev probably sold him a bunch of lies about how this year would be different to keep him out of the portal in the spring and as summer progressed it became clear they have no intention of changing the offense, so he's gone
This Could be a huge get for brohm if the kid is healthy and puts the work in. And of course if he’s eligible immediately. The way the offense and personnel is set up, opposing defenses cant really focus on RB or the slot too much. They’re reaching a breaking point between the outside receivers and Durham. So a kid who can make plays in space, at either position, could have more impact here than at other places

I think the deal recently was IU’s new RB Coach. Don’t think James and the new RB Coach got on the same page. If Mike Hart was still at IU, James might still be too.

He was #2 on the IU depth chart and would’ve played a lot. Wonder if his family talked to Peyton Ramsey’s dad about LEO. That said, the two players who combined for 45 carries, 282 yards, and three touchdowns are now Boilers. Wonder who will leave IU and their football version of Tom Crean next?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT