ADVERTISEMENT

Sampson James to Purdue

So I guy who is looking for playing time leaves one school to go to another school where he is going to play less. I don’t think so. Plus one school he leaves is predicted to have a better season. Not making any predictions myself just going by what I have seen on the internet take it for what it is worth . Which is not much still have to play the games. Let’s see how many carries he gets this year. James had 32 last year for IU.
Could this be the same for Carr?

Bull they don’t. Please tell me you’re not naive to think that every single position on the field is open competition? You think Jim Sorgi came into camp all those years thinking the QB competition was open between Manning and him?

Allen named Penix the starter and told Peyton if he wanted to seek a starting role it would need to be elsewhere. Generally happens at most every program when the incumbent returns. Just because Purdue has had an open competition at QB the last few years doesn’t mean it’s common practice elsewhere.
This wasn’t Sorgi and Manning. This was the guy who led IU to a bowl game, and Allen still told them he wouldn’t have the chance to compete to start. That’s not how most coaches would do it.

They played Penn State last year and were given an incorrect decision by the replay officials. It was a gift.
Err no. I think you meant to say, "Replay officials couldn't overturn the call on the field because there wasn't any indisputable evidence".

• Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider
This wasn’t Sorgi and Manning. This was the guy who led IU to a bowl game, and Allen still told them he wouldn’t have the chance to compete to start. That’s not how most coaches would do it.
Most, if not all, coaches with incumbent starting QB's don't have open competition. There's no need to have shared/split reps in the Spring and Fall when there is a clear cut starting QB. There was an open competition the year prior and Penix won the job. Case closed.

Last edited:
Most, if not all, coaches with incumbent starting QB's don't have open competition. There's no need to have shared/split reps in the Spring and Fall when there is a clear cut starting QB. There was an open competition the year prior and Penix won the job. Case closed.
And, since Allen wouldn’t even allow him to compete for the job, he wisely left. Smart move. Allen tried a different thing with Coy Cronk, and CC couldn’t hit the door quickly enough. Of course, he lost his job due to injury, and Allen wouldn’t let him compete for it, either. #LEO.

Horvath can return in 22 if he wants to since 20 didn't count.

I hope he does and get all conference 2 more times just to hear the naysayers try to say he shouldn’t be a big ten starting back. It already funny to me that so many claim a lack of talent at rb despite having a returning all conference rb and King (imo a starting caliber back behind him).

Reactions: Riveting
And, since Allen wouldn’t even allow him to compete for the job, he wisely left. Smart move. Allen tried a different thing with Coy Cronk, and CC couldn’t hit the door quickly enough. Of course, he lost his job due to injury, and Allen wouldn’t let him compete for it, either. #LEO.
It was a smart move. I don't think there's one Hoosier fan out there mad or has ill will towards Ramsey. I know I'm very appreciative of his contributions to the program. That being said, Penix was the clear cut, and deserved starter going forward.

IU wanted to move Coy Cronk to interior line where he still would have started without question, due to the emergence of Bedford as a weakside tackle. Coy Cronk insisted on playing LT and wound up at Iowa playing strongside tackle (RT in this instance) and got hurt again 2 games in.

It was a smart move. I don't think there's one Hoosier fan out there mad or has ill will towards Ramsey. I know I'm very appreciative of his contributions to the program. That being said, Penix was the clear cut, and deserved starter going forward.

IU wanted to move Coy Cronk to interior line where he still would have started without question, due to the emergence of Bedford as a weakside tackle. Coy Cronk insisted on playing LT and wound up at Iowa playing strongside tackle (RT in this instance) and got hurt again 2 games in.
You’re right, and it backfired on Allen both times. Players expect to be able to compete for playing time, and Coach LEO said no to two team guys on that point. Might work n high school, but it won’t in college. #LEO.

• Wow
Reactions: Inspector100
I hope he does and get all conference 2 more times just to hear the naysayers try to say he shouldn’t be a big ten starting back. It already funny to me that so many claim a lack of talent at rb despite having a returning all conference rb and King (imo a starting caliber back behind him).
I think Horvath has earned his due respect. I’d just like to see doerue have a role too. I’d be thrilled if we could get a walk on like Horvath every year. Who knows, maybe mockabee will be one of those players

You’re right, and it backfired on Allen both times. Players expect to be able to compete for playing time, and Coach LEO said no to two team guys on that point. Might work n high school, but it won’t in college. #LEO.
Backfired? How exactly? IU had their best season in 30 years.

• Haha
Just wondering how do you have all of this inside information on who IU is going to allow to compete for positions and who they are going to bench? The goal of programs is to find better players to improve depth and play. Coy Cronk was a great player for IU had an unfortunate injury. The rumor not from coaches was they were going to move him inside to guard. The guy who replaced him is on the Outland watch list. The guy who replaced Ramsey is presumably a Top 10 qb in the country. The guy who replaced James is on the Doak Walker watch list. None of that means anything if they don’t stay healthy and don’t perform. But does seem like possible upgrades.

Just wondering how do you have all of this inside information on who IU is going to allow to compete for positions and who they are going to bench?

Just wondering how do you have all of this inside information on who IU is going to allow to compete for positions and who they are going to bench? The goal of programs is to find better players to improve depth and play. Coy Cronk was a great player for IU had an unfortunate injury. The rumor not from coaches was they were going to move him inside to guard. The guy who replaced him is on the Outland watch list. The guy who replaced Ramsey is presumably a Top 10 qb in the country. The guy who replaced James is on the Doak Walker watch list. None of that means anything if they don’t stay healthy and don’t perform. But does seem like possible upgrades.
Important to note that Allen was never going to cut Cronk’s playing time. They were moving him to guard for the betterment of the team and presumably in his best interest at a prospective future in the NFL (Cronk isn’t an NFL-caliber backside caliber).

Obviously Cronk didn’t want that and transferred yet ended up playing a different position anyway at Iowa.

Well thats great that Carr is on the Doak Walker list,but so are 87 other guys.Pre season lists like that dont mean much.

Ramsey’s dad is a coach in the Cincinnati area. He was pretty vocal about Allen refusing to allow his kid to even compete for the job. And there were tons of people in and around Lafayette who knew what they did to Cronk. And since both Penix and Bedford got hurt, it did blow up on Allen, especially with that turn style tree you guys played at tackle. Penix and your other guy are lucky to be upright.

Ramsey’s dad is a coach in the Cincinnati area. He was pretty vocal about Allen refusing to allow his kid to even compete for the job. And there were tons of people in and around Lafayette who knew what they did to Cronk. And since both Penix and Bedford got hurt, it did blow up on Allen, especially with that turn style tree you guys played at tackle. Penix and your other guy are lucky to be upright.
Cronk also got hurt at Iowa about the same time Bedford got hurt at Indiana. Cronk wasn't denied playing time at IU, he was asked to move to guard. Had Cronk been on the roster at the time Bedford got hurt, he would been moved back to tackle. Pretty simple. Asking an OL to move to a different position for the betterment of the team isn't uncommon at all and actually happens all the time.

Penix getting hurt last year had absolutely nothing to do with Caleb Jones playing tackle. Let's please get that out of the way.

Cronk also got hurt at Iowa about the same time Bedford got hurt at Indiana. Cronk wasn't denied playing time at IU, he was asked to move to guard. Had Cronk been on the roster at the time Bedford got hurt, he would been moved back to tackle. Pretty simple. Asking an OL to move to a different position for the betterment of the team isn't uncommon at all and actually happens all the time.

Penix getting hurt last year had absolutely nothing to do with Caleb Jones playing tackle. Let's please get that out of the way.
Cronk wasn’t asked to move, he was told he was moving. But he was still your best tackle and a guy who was working through a nasty injury, and that didn’t sit well with him. Never said Penix’s injury was due to Jones or any other lineman, just that Coy was the better of all of them. If Allen actually beats good teams, none of this will matter.

Reactions: Inspector100
Kern clearly prefers coaches who sell false expectations and false realities to players to keep them in the fold, rather than honest ones who have the players’ best interests in mind. I know who I would rather play for though.

Not really. Tuttle got a win in Madison

Kern clearly prefers coaches who sell false expectations and false realities to players to keep them in the fold, rather than honest ones who have the players’ best interests in mind. I know who I would rather play for though.
No, but I do think allowing two highly productive players to compete for their positions is what most coaches would do. Why do you think allowing competition is wrong?

By your earlier quote Penix was the stater and got hurt so he should just be given the job back anyway. In essence Ramsey did have the opportunity to compete. He won the the job Penix freshman year. Lost it the next two seasons.

By your earlier quote Penix was the stater and got hurt so he should just be given the job back anyway. In essence Ramsey did have the opportunity to compete. He won the the job Penix freshman year. Lost it the next two seasons.
By your logic, shouldn’t Cronk have been given his job back, since he only lost it due to injury? And why would competition for any position ever end? Most good coaches approach it exactly the opposite way, that competition is always a good thing. You think Fitz wanted his 5 star transfer to sit? He told Ramsey he could compete, and the rest is history. Allen said he couldn’t compete, so he left.

IU has 4 kids from Ohio in this class, including a 4 star top 250 running back from a rival high school in Cincinnati. I don’t think the way Allen handled Ramsey is impacting recruiting much. Just sounds like a dad upset about his sons playing time.

No, but I do think allowing two highly productive players to compete for their positions is what most coaches would do. Why do you think allowing competition is wrong?
Ramsey had 2.5+ years to compete and lost the competition. You really think the best thing a HC should do in that situation is lie to the kid and pretend there is still a real competition going?

As for “allowing competition,” do you think Justin Fields was splitting first team reps in fall camp last year? Or do you just think Ryan Day doesn’t know what he’s doing and doesn’t understand competition and CFB quite as well as you do?

Most good coaches approach it exactly the opposite way, that competition is always a good thing.
Coy Cronk and Matthew Bedford would have been starting right next to each other at guard and tackle. There's no sense in having your two best OL compete for one spot. Bedford is a much more athletic and rangy LT more suitable for protecting the QB's blindside. Again, this has nothing to do with competing for playing time but everything to do with strategy and scheme. You're making this entirely more difficult than it needs to be. It's not that deep.

Reactions: wakeman2626
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT