ADVERTISEMENT

Sampson James to Purdue

If I had to guess....
that's the same narrative from just about every IU fan looking to put a spin on this.

EDIT:
I don't normally care to follow IU football, so I didn't question what you wrote, but what you wrote is simply untrue:

The depth chart that indiana released had James 3rd behind Carr and Baldwin with Ellis 4th.

If I had to guess, I think he transferred after practicing with coach McCullough for a week and realizing it wasn't gonna be a good fit. I think he would have seen the field some, but not as much as he would have liked, so he moved on.

I think it's as easy as that. Carr is his guy and Baldwin, I think he felt was gonna play more, evident by the depth chart put out.

Oh, and James was not passed up by Charlie Spegal. That's just dumb. He's becoming the Luke Brown of football.

Here's a link to an article by The Daily Hoosier, in which they report the first depth chart (and it is from the IU Athletics Department). The depth chart lists RB as follows:

20 Tim Baldwin Jr., 6-0, 211, So.
6 Sampson James, 6-1, 220, Jr.
5 Stephen Carr, 6-1, 215, Gr.+
10 David Ellis, 6-1, 214, Jr.

Carr wasn't first, nor was James 3rd or 4th or behind any walk-on RBs.

What we're getting on this forum, from some IU fans, is simply stunning. There's a desperate need to attempt to make this kid look like he's running from competition.

Last edited:
that's the same narrative from just about every IU fan looking to put a spin on this.

EDIT:
I don't normally care to follow IU football, so I didn't question what you wrote, but what you wrote is simply untrue:

Here's a link to an article by The Daily Hoosier, in which they report the first depth chart (and it is from the IU Athletics Department). The depth chart lists RB as follows:

What we're getting on this forum, from some IU fans, is simply stunning. There's a desperate need to attempt to make this kid look like he's running from competition.
One particularly Purdue obsessed poster at the IU site has now turned the commentary into a desperately ignorant critique of the Ross Ade playing surface. It’s an epic meltdown, especially for a Walmart fan. Hope he’s able to get some help.

EDIT:

Yes, that depth chart was from media day before Carr had ever even practiced with IU. Every indication is he had slipped to 3rd by the end of the first week. I have no clue where people are getting that he was behind a walk on. That seems simply made up to me.

Yes, that depth chart was from media day before Carr had ever even practiced with IU. Every indication is he had slipped to 3rd by the end of the first week. I have no clue where people are getting that he was behind a walk on. That seems simply made up to me.
"every indication"

That's not what was posted, nor does there really seem to be "every indication".

Every indication is that he wasn't happy at IU (in the transfer portal twice), his relationships had left the school, and he was looking for a better fit.

Reactions: DAG10
"every indication"

That's not what was posted, nor does there really seem to be "every indication".

Every indication is that he wasn't happy at IU (in the transfer portal twice), his relationships had left the school, and he was looking for a better fit.
I didn’t make the original post, just clarifying it. And if you subscribe to some IU pay sites, yes, there does seem to be every indication.
He clearly wasn’t happy at IU and I haven’t seen anybody argue he was.

I wonder how a Purdue fan that claims that IU fans are obsessed with Purdue continues to argue the position of an IU player on the the depth chart.
Both schools are probably always better than fans of the other one think and worse than fans of their own think

I didn’t make the original post, just clarifying it. And if you subscribe to some IU pay sites, yes, there does seem to be every indication.
"original post" claimed depth chart had him at 3rd. He wasn't, per IU. We can watch the threads dancing around this all day, and it will still come back to the official depth chart.

It wasn't just that he "wasn't happy"... he had no relationship with the remaining staff, which was the sole reason he went to IU.

Both schools are probably always better than fans of the other one think and worse than fans of their own think
I’d say that’s not true. There is an inordinate number of Purdue fans who always look at things from a negative point-of-view, even when the data/coaches/players suggest they shouldn’t.

They just “have to keep it real” and can’t seem to conceive of Purdue being successful. Some of them have a true loser’s mentality. If someone thinks they can’t win, they are most likely not going to win.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
"original post" claimed depth chart had him at 3rd. He wasn't, per IU. We can watch the threads dancing around this all day, and it will still come back to the official depth chart.

It wasn't just that he "wasn't happy"... he had no relationship with the remaining staff, which was the sole reason he went to IU.
Yea which is why I clarified it… not sure what’s hard to grasp about that.
But if you’re going to be a stickler about source information can you share the news articles and other publications that confirm the latter part of your post? Your rules, not mine.

Maybe the plan is to have him learn the playbook, then play him in the last four games to save the red shirt. That would include osu and the Rev. Coach Leo's Love Machine.

Reactions: Purdue85
I’d say that’s not true. There is an inordinate number of Purdue fans who always look at things from a negative point-of-view, even when the data/coaches/players suggest they shouldn’t.

They just “have to keep it real” and can’t seem to conceive of Purdue being successful. Some of them have a true loser’s mentality. If someone thinks they can’t win, they are most likely not going to win.
I don’t play for the team. If I did I’d always think we could win. But here you go again.. you and your ilk. “Hey, someone made a point I don’t like, instead of just debating that point, I will try to make it about them being the worst person ever!”

dude say what you want, for about 18 years, it objectively hasn’t been going well. Some of the bright spots in that time period are years where we’d start off 5-0 and get absolutely pasted by our first ranked opponent.

you predict 7-5+ every year because you live in a Rambo cartoon world of good guys abs bad guys where the team you like ALWAYS has to win. I mean, after all, YOU like them right? So they must be the best.

I’ve acknowledged that although almost no one on the planet outside our fandom has us finishing better than 5-7 (I think I saw one 6-6) and I have them at 5-7 (which I called several months before the preseason picks came out) this team has enough top end firepower that if they can actually stop putting guys on the field where opposing coordinators yell “stop the film! THAT GUY!! Who is THAT GUY!? We are gonna make that guy on Saturday. Hold on boys… hey Tommy, get me every play with 38 in the game and run an analysis on where passes are being completed in his facility for tomorrow’s meeting”… they could be a winning team.

I believe there is more work than a good but not great coaching staff can get done in time to go 6-6, but if they get it done great. I do believe they’ll be in position for me to rationally predict 7-5 next year .. when I’m sure, with that schedule, you’ll predict 9-3 and everyone who disagrees will be an IU loving cretin

Reactions: IUHDog
Yea which is why I clarified it… not sure what’s hard to grasp about that.
But if you’re going to be a stickler about source information can you share the news articles and other publications that confirm the latter part of your post? Your rules, not mine.
there's no "clarity" there... not sure what's hard to grasp about that.

I'm not being a "stickler about source information", just pointing out how wrong the prior poster is. Again, "not sure what's so hard to grasp about that".

If you have something that contradicts my point, have at it. You haven't, which is duly noted.

By the way genius, what do you think the Vegas over under was set at for Purdue wins? Do you think it’s 7? 6.5? Lol.. without looking, take a shot at it. You might find out I’m “keeping it real for the sake of keeping it real” by predicting something that is exactly what Las Vegas ended up predicting AFTER I predicted it lol

there's no "clarity" there... not sure what's hard to grasp about that.

I'm not being a "stickler about source information", just pointing out how wrong the prior poster is. Again, "not sure what's so hard to grasp about that".

If you have something that contradicts my point, have at it. You haven't, which is duly noted.
And I am “just pointing out” the stunning hypocrisy of your post.

If you have any evidence to support your claims, post it. If you have any evidence James wasn’t running with the 3rd team at the time he entered the portal, post it. If you have neither, then stop posting opinion/speculation as if it were fact.

And I am “just pointing out” the stunning hypocrisy of your post.

If you have any evidence to support your claims, post it. If you have any evidence James wasn’t running with the 3rd team at the time he entered the portal, post it. If you have neither, then stop posting opinion/speculation as if it were fact.
"hypocrisy" my @ss.

If there's something with which you disagree, POST A LINK to back it up. That's PRECISELY what I did; the prior poster stated something demonstrably false, I posted a link, then you (in your infinite wisdom) chose to argue with the IU Athletic Department.

"hypocrisy"... 🤣

Reactions: BBG
"hypocrisy" my @ss.

If there's something with which you disagree, POST A LINK to back it up. That's PRECISELY what I did; the prior poster stated something demonstrably false, I posted a link, then you (in your infinite wisdom) chose to argue with the IU Athletic Department.

"hypocrisy"... 🤣
Your lack of evidence for either is very telling.
You say, without any proof, that he left because he had no more relationships at IU. I’m saying he left because he was 3rd on the depth chart. It was posted on two different IU Football pay sites that he was getting 3rd team reps, and this was before his name went in. You have nothing backing up your position. You haven’t established any burden of proof whatsoever that I must overcome. I was trying to clarify another poster’s erroneous post. I’m not establishing any burden of proof. I’m just disagreeing with your clearly baseless claim.

By the way genius, what do you think the Vegas over under was set at for Purdue wins? Do you think it’s 7? 6.5? Lol.. without looking, take a shot at it. You might find out I’m “keeping it real for the sake of keeping it real” by predicting something that is exactly what Las Vegas ended up predicting AFTER I predicted it lol
Seems like I touched a nerve. My comment wasn’t directed at you specifically, but if you think the shoe fits, I don’t know what else to tell you….
BTW, what Vegas thinks is irrelevant in this discussion.

Your lack of evidence for either is very telling.
You say, without any proof, that he left because he had no more relationships at IU. I’m saying he left because he was 3rd on the depth chart. It was posted on two different IU Football pay sites that he was getting 3rd team reps, and this was before his name went in. You have nothing backing up your position. You haven’t established any burden of proof whatsoever that I must overcome. I was trying to clarify another poster’s erroneous post. I’m not establishing any burden of proof. I’m just disagreeing with your clearly baseless claim.
Holy crap, dude, you're just itching to show your ignorance.

IF

YOU

HAVE

SOMETHING

OUT WITH IT!

Post a link. Provide something.

The incessant whining of you and your ilk is comical, as well as pitiful.

Good grief, dude. I get it: Another IU player said they didn't want to be a part of Coach LEO's program and transferred to Purdue. That has to sting. I get it. I really do.

but, goodness... you're going to have to deal with your emotions. Acting like an @ss on the PURDUE forum isn't going to help.

Good luck.

Seems like I touched a nerve. My comment wasn’t directed at you specifically, but if you think the shoe fits, I don’t know what else to tell you….
BTW, what Vegas thinks is irrelevant in this discussion.
Vegas are the pros of pros. This is rich .. SD “ace rothstein has nothing on these predictions.”

Who cares why Sampson left IU? He's gone. Nobody knows for certain "why" except Sampson himself. He's a Boilermaker now, and we will all see what that means for both teams soon enough (assuming he plays this season).
The only people to whom it should matter would be Coach Brohm and Coach LEO.

As to the everyone else, your point is spot on.

Reactions: tjreese
Who cares why Sampson left IU? He's gone. Nobody knows for certain "why" except Sampson himself. He's a Boilermaker now, and we will all see what that means for both teams soon enough (assuming he plays this season).
Do you mean … Sampson James? Or … Sampson …

From how this thread is going, "every indication" is not exactly appropriate for this situation in any way shape or form.

Vegas...or Aurora, IL, wants equal action on both sides of a bet.
I predicted 5-7. So okay fine .. 4-8, 6-6… he’s predicting 7-5 and acting like you gotta be Jeff spicoli stumbling out of his van if you don’t wholeheartedly agree lol

I’m already leaning toward 7-5 next year. If we go 7-5 this year he can serve up the crow and if he predicts 8-4 next year I’ll be more likely to listen

fair?

I predicted 5-7. So okay fine .. 4-8, 6-6… he’s predicting 7-5 and acting like you gotta be Jeff spicoli stumbling out of his van if you don’t wholeheartedly agree lol

I’m already leaning toward 7-5 next year. If we go 7-5 this year he can serve up the crow and if he predicts 8-4 next year I’ll be more likely to listen

fair?
Didn't read that at all from SD's posts. Certainly not any more than yours in trying to convince people that you're right.

Just because your prediction is in line with "Vegas" doesn't mean you're going to be right. But let me ask you, would you take the over or the under? Not trolling, serious question. Maybe you've answered it before but I don't memorize people's opinions.

Reactions: SDBoiler1 and BBG
Didn't read that at all from SD's posts. Certainly not any more than yours in trying to convince people that you're right.

Just because your prediction is in line with "Vegas" doesn't mean you're going to be right. But let me ask you, would you take the over or the under? Not trolling, serious question. Maybe you've answered it before but I don't memorize people's opinions.
I think it’s pointless to try to predict Purdue’s record for next year right now. Coaching changes, transfers in and out, incredible player signings - who the hell knows?

I’m talking about his overall posts and tone.

i wouldn’t bet it. If it was 4.5 id take the over

but again, this guy predicts we will be awesome every year. If we go 3-9 he will act like he doesn’t know what he predicted this year, then he will predict 7-5 next year.

If however we go 7-5 and he says “how do you like that shit bc,” I will gladly take my plate of hot crow. Then next year if he comes out with SD insider about how we are going 8-4, I’ll be much more likely to listen

my last three years predictions were 6-6, 5-7, 3-4.

Maybe he's just a positive-type of guy? Why does someone else's prediction (read: opinion) mean that much to you? Who cares?

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Maybe he's just a positive-type of guy? Why does someone else's prediction (read: opinion) mean that much to you? Who cares?
Oh no.. it’s not that.. it’s that my predictions matter so much to him and a few other guys, and so because they cared so much I’ve started caring back.

but I find what you’re doing interesting..: I don’t have that “hey what is wrong with you to think this way or post this way” thing that you have going on.

say I were you.. I’d either disagree with me or move on. I wouldn’t ask things like “why do you care” which translates to “why are you the way you are?”

Dude I’ll just post what I honestly think and here comes a bunch of dudes needing cranberry juice calling me a secret IU fan.

I thought we’d contend for the national title in 05.. when 05 played out.. and I think Quinn just hit samardzja for another TD.. I vowed never again!!

My prediction (as if anyone cares) is Purdue will surprise this year and finish 6-6 beating the LV line. The D will be much improved, and the O will score points like they always do.

As for IU, I think the expectations of 9 or 10 regular season wins are too optimistic, Seven wins is realistic, eight is a stretch.

Planning on attending the bucket game in West Lafayette for the first time since 1970-something.

Best of luck this season - except in the OOB game (of course).

Dude I’ll just post what I honestly think and here comes a bunch of dudes needing cranberry juice calling me a secret IU fan.

I thought we’d contend for the national title in 05.. when 05 played out.. and I think Quinn just hit samardzja for another TD.. I vowed never again!!
Oh no.. it’s not that.. it’s that my predictions matter so much to him and a few other guys, and so because they cared so much I’ve started caring back.

but I find what you’re doing interesting..: I don’t have that “hey what is wrong with you to think this way or post this way” thing that you have going on.

say I were you.. I’d either disagree with me or move on. I wouldn’t ask things like “why do you care” which translates to “why are you the way you are?”
Dude. Maybe you should just post your opinions and not worry so much about other people's. I've never once said "hey what is wrong with you to think this way." Or even thought it. Or anything close. Maybe you have me confused with someone else. It takes quite a bit of stretch for me to think someone's OPINION is off base. Because that's what it is. That's what SD's is. Leave it alone.

Why accuse others of accusing you of being an IU fan? That's just silly and frankly a little self-centered. To that point, I don't think anyone has. You are obviously passionate about Purdue sports and that's a good thing. But why insult other Purdue fans for disagreeing comments that get under your skin? Cranberry juice? Nice retort. I saw The Departed too.

I really don't care why you are the way you are. But I don't think having childish banter about someone's optimistic prediction of how this season is going to go does anyone any amount of good.

Go Boilers!

LMAO...have you really been a Purdue fan for the last 15 years? Some people are just realistic...

• Wow
Dude. Maybe you should just post your opinions and not worry so much about other people's. I've never once said "hey what is wrong with you to think this way." Or even thought it. Or anything close. Maybe you have me confused with someone else. It takes quite a bit of stretch for me to think someone's OPINION is off base. Because that's what it is. That's what SD's is. Leave it alone.

Why accuse others of accusing you of being an IU fan? That's just silly and frankly a little self-centered. To that point, I don't think anyone has. You are obviously passionate about Purdue sports and that's a good thing. But why insult other Purdue fans for disagreeing comments that get under your skin? Cranberry juice? Nice retort. I saw The Departed too.

I really don't care why you are the way you are. But I don't think having childish banter about someone's optimistic prediction of how this season is going to go does anyone any amount of good.

Go Boilers!

Well said.

Go Boilers!
Maybe you should pound sand? Don’t like it? Don’t read it

LMAO...have you really been a Purdue fan for the last 15 years? Some people are just realistic...
I think there’s a chance that SD lives in an alternate reality from the one I live in.. a reality I’d like much better

2005 - “34-31 boilers … Leinart steps to the line with 53 seconds left .. takes the snap.. fumble!! Picked up by pollard! And the boilermakers are going to fulfill the Orlando prediction!!”

most of the reason I’m realistic is because college football is tougher! Look at Texas’ results every year. Yeah I get it .. in a lot of years when Danny Hope was here and late in tillers tenure this is a 7-5 team. It’s tougher now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT