ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers v. Purdue Game Thread

and lost to temple LOL

refs helped you tremendously. Your entire identity is foul so much eventually the refs let them go. That's again what you did today.

lucky for you, you guys are always blessed when you play us, banked half court shots, triple bounces around the rim, awful out of bounds calls, us missing tons of FT's and open shots.

Whatever is needed, you get, when against us, but then lose to the Temple's of the world. So since this was your NCAA championship, again, you can have it.
A little perspective on the temple game. RU had both Mulcahy and McConnell out. Plus, at that time Reynolds had not gone down for Temple, and they were a much better team with him. (They were also shorthanded for Miami on the road, and received an apology for the officials stealing the Ohio State game - so the Rrésumé was not bad coming in.)

You are also not much of a historian. I assume you were talking about the Harper shot, which he did not bank.

And this team fouls less then it gets fouled. They use their length and good feet on defense. They doubled down this game a lot more than they usually do, but some of your fellow fans seem to acknowledge that you guys were getting the home court whistle on the strips in the post.

Reactions: Unionst
Well I was way wrong on the outcome of this game. Never ever thought we would lose @ home all year. Congrats to R. Tough bunch as advertised!!

BTW I predicted we would lose the next 2 road games due to our poor 3 pt shooting. Perhaps this loss flat out pisses them off enough where they win 1 of the next 2 or better yet, win both on the road. Hope so.

Last edited:
A little perspective on the temple game. RU had both Mulcahy and McConnell out. Plus, at that time Reynolds had not gone down for Temple, and they were a much better team with him. (They were also shorthanded for Miami on the road, and received an apology for the officials stealing the Ohio State game - so the Rrésumé was not bad coming in.)

You are also not much of a historian. I assume you were talking about the Harper shot, which he did not bank.

And this team fouls less then it gets fouled. They use their length and good feet on defense. They doubled down this game a lot more than they usually do, but some of your fellow fans seem to acknowledge that you guys were getting the home court whistle on the strips in the post.
I was frustrated by many of the calls that went against Purdue, especially 2 out of 3 foul calls that went against Edey. I thought that it neutralized Edey to a large extent.

and lost to temple LOL

refs helped you tremendously. Your entire identity is foul so much eventually the refs let them go. That's again what you did today.

lucky for you, you guys are always blessed when you play us, banked half court shots, triple bounces around the rim, awful out of bounds calls, us missing tons of FT's and open shots.

Whatever is needed, you get, when against us, but then lose to the Temple's of the world. So since this was your NCAA championship, again, you can have it.
Mcconell and Mulcahy were both out with injuries in the Temple game, but go on champ RU 5 of 6

Reactions: titaniumbolt
and lost to temple LOL

McConnell an Mulcahy (our two starting guards) we’re both injured early this season, so that’s how they lost to Temple and Miami. If RU had both, they could easily be undefeated. Either way, Purdue is a great team and Painter is a great coach. I have a lot of respect for your team. Rutgers just has their number right now. 🤷‍♂️

Other than some jerk fans here on this board (we have our fair share too) Purdue fans are some of my favorite fans in the league. Much better than the whoosier fans. Good luck the rest of the way except when you come to the RAC

Reactions: RUDead and mathboy
Other than some jerk fans here on this board (we have our fair share too) Purdue fans are some of my favorite fans in the league. Much better than the whoosier fans. Good luck the rest of the way except when you come to the RAC

We hoosier fans don't suffer this sort of cyber grab assery and neither should Boilers.

I once read a leaflet on Rutgers athletics/famous Rutgers sports legends on an airplane...

and lost to temple LOL

Refs haha, it must be painful being so butt hurt. Try not sucking and you might beat us.

We hoosier fans don't suffer this sort of cyber grab assery and neither should Boilers.

I once read a leaflet on Rutgers athletics/famous Rutgers sports legends on an airplane...
well scarlet feels sorry for ya... hope we meet again

Rutgers just might win the B1G this year (anyone but IU, Mich, or Wisconsin please). The metrics are elite defensively. When you factor in the 2 losses were without 2 starters and the OSU sham this could be a 13-1 team. They foul alot (get used to those road whistles Rutgers fans), but the turnovers/disruption the pressure and physicality creates is worth the trade off on most nights. Spencer is an upgrade over Baker.

As for Purdue, let's be honest they have not played well in a month since beating Marquette, WVU, Gonzaga, Duke in a row. The schedule since has been easy and this was the first true test since that stretch. Way too many missed open shots, FTs, turnovers, and defensive breakdowns tonight to win against a B1G contender, home or away. I have a feeling this team hates to lose and can't wait to see how they bounce back on Thursday. Edey should eat the 6'8 Key's breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Rutgers just might win the B1G this year (anyone but IU, Mich, or Wisconsin please). The metrics are elite defensively. When you factor in the 2 losses were without 2 starters and the OSU sham this could be a 13-1 team. They foul alot (get used to those road whistles Rutgers fans), but the turnovers/disruption the pressure and physicality creates is worth the trade off on most nights. Spencer is an upgrade over Baker.

As for Purdue, let's be honest they have not played well in a month since beating Marquette, WVU, Gonzaga, Duke in a row. The schedule since has been easy and this was the first true test since that stretch. Way too many missed open shots, FTs, turnovers, and defensive breakdowns tonight to win against a B1G contender, home or away. I have a feeling this team hates to lose and can't wait to see how they bounce back on Thursday. Edey should eat the 6'8 Key's breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Rutgers men's basketball owns the state of Indiana!
  • RU has beaten Indiana six straight and 8 of last 9.
  • RU has beaten Purdue 6 of last 7.

and lost to temple LOL

thank you and hope to see you again soon, your hospitality is appreciated...lol

and lost to temple LOL

Came to see how you guys handle losing to us compared to Indiana and was not disappointed 😂

As I said, history has repeated itself too many times. I would accept a loss. But this loss is so much like every single other loss from the past! How many times have our losses been to someone making a 3 against our last second defense? It happens way too many times. It’s not our last shot that was bad. But rather it was our defense that allowed them to take that shot. Foul the guy before the shot! Let them have 2 foul shots. The game is tied and we have 10 seconds and the ball.
nine missed free throws, especially the two by loyer were why we lost. yes, we played a terrible game but even with that if we hit our free throws we win.

nine missed free throws, especially the two by loyer were why we lost. yes, we played a terrible game but even with that if we hit our free throws we win.

I wouldn't doubt Fletcher Loyer's really upset with himself for those misses, although he came back to hit two after that and made what looked like the biggest shot of the game. These players go through a lot......we watch (and root as fans), but these kids live it and have to deal directly with the consequences. It's some humble pie and dose of reality for these younger players......but dealing with adversity and overcoming it is a bigger measure. Going to be a really good test of that coming up - two games away from home - both teams will look to play Purdue tough.

Last edited:
In the last three games our starting 1, 2 and 3 have played a combined 224 minutes and made 14 field goals.

Newman has played 58 minutes and made 14 field goals by himself. It's not often that your most efficient point producer at the 1,2 or 3 averages 7 less minutes than 3 other guards.

Pretty racist, huh? Most Italians from Jersey would kick your ass if you said to our face. Grow up
I didn’t think Italians in Jersey could afford the Internet unless their mom pays for it.

I was frustrated by many of the calls that went against Purdue, especially 2 out of 3 foul calls that went against Edey. I thought that it neutralized Edey to a large extent.
I think Rutgers has exposed painter and Purdue in the fact that if the guy doesn’t have the largest humans ever down low he’s not all that great of a coach.

It’s much easier to draw up plays when you have. Guy who has to be doubled every time because he’s 7’2+

Reactions: papawboog
We were never going to stay undefeated. Plus they are one of the best defensive teams in college basketball. I'm OK with this loss. Make a few more free throws and we win easily.

Never should lose at home when you are a top 5 team. Our house.

This loss surprised me greatly. I know R is tough but a top 5 team should hold home court all year.

I think Rutgers has exposed painter and Purdue in the fact that if the guy doesn’t have the largest humans ever down low he’s not all that great of a coach.

It’s much easier to draw up plays when you have. Guy who has to be doubled every time because he’s 7’2+
Yep. Painter has been exposed! His team is not as good without his National Player of the Year front runner.

Very few teams can play defense like Rutgers.

If Purdue is hitting their 3's you are almost unbeatable. But the young guards have been inconsistent. That's the only thing holding this team back.

Lots of things. Omoruyi hit a 3. He now has 6 for his career. He also heeled a free throw and it dropped. Then they hit that crazy shot that hit the corner of the backboard AND the rim and went in.

We played like shit. Rutgers played great and hacked away as much as they could but still not foul anyone out. We lost by 1 point. Hopefully it's a wake-up call. But the truth is we're not as good as our record showed.

On to the next game. Wins in Columbus and Philly will make us forget about this one.

Reactions: DrEss
Never should lose at home when you are a top 5 team. Our house.

This loss surprised me greatly. I know R is tough but a top 5 team should hold home court all year.
Top 5 Power 5 teams lose at home plenty. It's not even remotely close to being automatic.

• Wow
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Lots of things. Omoruyi hit a 3. He now has 6 for his career. He also heeled a free throw and it dropped. Then they hit that crazy shot that hit the corner of the backboard AND the rim and went in.

We played like shit. Rutgers played great and hacked away as much as they could but still not foul anyone out. We lost by 1 point. Hopefully it's a wake-up call. But the truth is we're not as good as our record showed.

On to the next game. Wins in Columbus and Philly will make us forget about this one.
The amazing shot block by Morton only to fall into the guys hands who hits a knock down three. Just some crazy breaks.

Reactions: drewjin
Don't look now but Texas is about to lose by double digits at home. Oh but they're only #6 so it must be different.

Edit: didn't realize there were still 10 minutes left. But still. Conference games are hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT