ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers v. Purdue Game Thread

We beat both your team and the stripes. Go RU.
and lost to temple LOL

refs helped you tremendously. Your entire identity is foul so much eventually the refs let them go. That's again what you did today.

lucky for you, you guys are always blessed when you play us, banked half court shots, triple bounces around the rim, awful out of bounds calls, us missing tons of FT's and open shots.

Whatever is needed, you get, when against us, but then lose to the Temple's of the world. So since this was your NCAA championship, again, you can have it.

You realize that Purdue is the second to last team in the country to lose their first game? Right? I saw a lot to like in the second half this game. They battled and they lost, but I feel very good about this team.
Definitely a nice comeback. Still tough to lose at home as the “number 1” team…and to Rutgers…again.

Time is a spiral.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
You realize that Purdue is the second to last team in the country to lose their first game? Right? I saw a lot to like in the second half this game. They battled and they lost, but I feel very good about this team.
Not so sure the Gonzaga and Duke wins look as good in 2023 as they did in 2022….exposed

Reactions: Boiler8285
As I said, history has repeated itself too many times. I would accept a loss. But this loss is so much like every single other loss from the past! How many times have our losses been to someone making a 3 against our last second defense? It happens way too many times. It’s not our last shot that was bad. But rather it was our defense that allowed them to take that shot. Foul the guy before the shot! Let them have 2 foul shots. The game is tied and we have 10 seconds and the ball.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
The reason you got fouls called is because you fouled constantly multiple players. Ugly ball your team is better than that imo it is actually a bad game plan for such a good team

As I said, history has repeated itself too many times. I would accept a loss. But this loss is so much like every single other loss from the past! How many times have our losses been to someone making a 3 against our last second defense? It happens way too many times. It’s not our last shot that was bad. But rather it was our defense that allowed them to take that shot. Foul the guy before the shot! Let them have 2 foul shots. The game is tied and we have 10 seconds and the ball.

how simple is it to not help 20 feet off their ONLY 3 point shooter?

it is a simple game

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Definitely a nice comeback. Still tough to lose at home as the “number 1” team…and to Rutgers…again.

Time is a spiral.
In some ways this reminds me of the time that Duke came to Mackey when the Baby Boilers were sophomore and taught them a thing or two about playing with intensity. Rutgers isn’t Duke, but they played with that same type of intensity this game and I think it will be a good lesson for this young team. Purdue matched their intensity in the second half, but it wasn’t quite enough to overcome the first half deficit. I hope that they will be better for this experience.

C'mon Wole - you generally don't foul in that situation up two.....there was a breakdown, no doubt....will be interested to hear Painter's analysis/thoughts on that because I have to assume that's definitely not the shot they wanted to give up.

I was at the game, Purdue missed lots of FT’s and a ton of 3 pointers, Rutgers deserved to win. I’m a Purdue diehard, the Boilers benefitted from the home court tonight, in the Big Ten that happens, Rutgers guards are really good.

In some ways this reminds me of the time that Duke came to Mackey when the Baby Boilers were sophomore and taught them a thing or two about playing with intensity. Rutgers isn’t Duke, but they played with that same type of intensity this game and I think it will be a good lesson for this young team. Purdue matched their intensity in the second half, but it wasn’t quite enough to overcome the first half deficit. I hope that they will be better for this experience.

They can definitely learn from this even taking the first loss. Agree that they were much better in the second half.....just too many mistakes overall or not enough plays to overcome it. Rutgers looks like a tourney team to me, right now. Purdue won't face too many better defensive teams either.

Reactions: suggakane
On the bright side (which I realize is tough to see right now), they may have found some shooting return in the second half. Let's see how the rest of the week plays out.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
ADVERTISEMENT