ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers v. Purdue Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Happy New Year, ladies and gentlemen. This evening, it's back to Big Ten conference play as the visiting Rutgers Scarlet Knights (9-4; 1-1) come to Mackey Arena to take on the top-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (13-0; 2-0) in a game that shapes up to be a real battle. Tip-off is set for approximately 7:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Rutgers - Mawot Mag, Clifford Omoruyi, Cam Spencer, Caleb McConnell, and Paul Mulcahy

Purdue - Caleb Furst, Zach Edey, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Rutgers is one of the best defensive teams in the country. Caleb McConnell was Big Ten Defensive player of the year last year, and Cliff Omoruyi is extremely active and physical underneath. Zach Edey will have his hands full and then some on both ends of the floor. Expect the Scarlet Knights to also try and pressure Purdue's young guards, and Paul Mulcahy on offense will look to disrupt from the paint on penetration and transition looks. Cam Spencer on the wing is a good threat for Rutgers from beyond the arc. Ethan Morton and company will need to keep track of him.

For Purdue - it's no mystery, they'll want to establish Zach Edey in the paint, but Rutgers has more ability to disrupt him than anyone Purdue has faced so far. How he handles their schemes will go a long way in deciding tonight's contest. As has been the case for several games, the Boilers definitely need to find the range from outside - if they can knock down a few more than in recent games, I like their chances. However, this is one of those teams that they may not be able to find another way if the shooting is still sub-par. It's going to be crucial to avoid the turnovers/run-outs and really hit the glass. Again, Rutgers is a team that can really compete on the boards. Mason Gillis, Caleb Furst, and Trey Kaufman-Renn will be huge assets in helping out Zach Edey and also trying to get some second chance opportunities.

This will also be a great test for Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer to see how they handle some big time pressure defense....Purdue will need production from them as well as the bench - you can bet they will get Rutgers' best shot. This looks to be a very formidable challenge tonight. Can the Boilers play with poise and execute against a very good defensive team and opponent to keep things rolling for them? We'll find out in a couple of hours or so.

Boiler up, my friends.

i
i

Happy New Year, ladies and gentlemen. This evening, it's back to Big Ten conference play as the visiting Rutgers Scarlet Knights (9-4; 1-1) come to Mackey Arena to take on the top-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (13-0; 2-0) in a game that shapes up to be a real battle. Tip-off is set for approximately 7:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Rutgers - Mawot Mag, Clifford Omoruyi, Cam Spencer, Caleb McConnell, and Paul Mulcahy

Purdue - Caleb Furst, Zach Edey, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Rutgers is one of the best defensive teams in the country. Caleb McConnell was Big Ten Defensive player of the year last year, and Cliff Omoruyi is extremely active and physical underneath. Zach Edey will have his hands full and then some on both ends of the floor. Expect the Scarlet Knights to also try and pressure Purdue's young guards, and Paul Mulcahy on offense will look to disrupt from the paint on penetration and transition looks. Cam Spencer on the wing is a good threat for Rutgers from beyond the arc. Ethan Morton and company will need to keep track of him.

For Purdue - it's no mystery, they'll want to establish Zach Edey in the paint, but Rutgers has more ability to disrupt him than anyone Purdue has faced so far. How he handles their schemes will go a long way in deciding tonight's contest. As has been the case for several games, the Boilers definitely need to find the range from outside - if they can knock down a few more than in recent games, I like their chances. However, this is one of those teams that they may not be able to find another way if the shooting is still sub-par. It's going to be crucial to avoid the turnovers/run-outs and really hit the glass. Again, Rutgers is a team that can really compete on the boards. Mason Gillis, Caleb Furst, and Trey Kaufman-Renn will be huge assets in helping out Zach Edey and also trying to get some second chance opportunities.

This will also be a great test for Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer to see how they handle some big time pressure defense....Purdue will need production from them as well as the bench - you can bet they will get Rutgers' best shot. This looks to be a very formidable challenge tonight. Can the Boilers play with poise and execute against a very good defensive team and opponent to keep things rolling for them? We'll find out in a couple of hours or so.

Boiler up, my friends.

i
i
19 to go saw at least 20 made 3s on right baseline in front of Purdue bench. Everyone hitting that shot

19 to go saw at least 20 made 3s on right baseline in front of Purdue bench. Everyone hitting that shot

Hopefully that translates in the game conditions - they'll definitely get some of those, and they'll need to knock down a good share. Going with the TJ mojo! :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT