ADVERTISEMENT

Rondale

Dandelion1972

Sophomore
Aug 24, 2002
West Lafayette
I know that it’s kind of slow in the summer, so I have several stories that I will post over this period. I’ll probably post several, depending on the feedback.

My son, who wrote for GBI about 20 years ago, called guys like you and me “chronics”. We are terminally ill with Boiler fever. I admit it, I read and watch anything that I can get my hands on about Purdue football (and to a lesser degree, basketball).

A few guys meet up at practice whenever it is open (all the spring practices were open. However, in the fall, the first couple are open, then they shut us out). So these are dedicated to that group including, but not limited to TK, JC, DW, BE and SM.

So it was about the 6th or 7th spring practice, and I waited around afterward to talk to a couple of players. Rondale was being interviewed by an Indy media guy, so I was chatting with a several other players. When he came free from the interview, here is what transpired:

--------------------------

Me: Rondale, can I get a picture with you?

RM: Sure, no problem.

After the picture, in which he had this boyish grin, showing all of his ‘green’ braces. . .

Me: I want you to know, that I’m one of your big promoters on GBI, Facebook and Twitter.

RM: Cool.

Me: I always post when it’s appropriate

“Be like Rondale! Get to the endzone, hand the ball to the official, shut up and go play football. None

of this dancing like a banshee wolf!”

RM (with kind of sheepish grin): Thanks man!

Me: I was just wondering, after the Ohio State game, when everyone was rushing the field, the camera zoomed in on you. You were on the sidelines, not celebrating, just kind of quiet and somber.

RM: I was looking for my mom.

He is very modest and unassuming. He speaks softly and allows his football to speak for him. I did ask him at the next opportunity, if he minded if I posted the picture of us on FB and Twitter, and he told me it was not a problem.

This guy is so easy to admire. Very similar to CE in their businesslike approach to their respective games.

As for the post TD celebrations, I could either way. On one hand the game itself is entertainment for fans and there can be a lot of emotion poured out by the player after scoring. On the other, I certainly appreciate someone like Moore who simply hands the ball to the ref.

With Moore it's a common occurrence and no real need to celebrate. There's plenty MOoRE coming. But for other players that rarely score, I can see their wanting to celebrate, after all, think of the years of hard work leading up to this rare moment.

Must have hated seeing stubby stream down the sideline at ND, huh?

My wife, the real football fan in our family, already liked Tyler Standiford, and she went off scale when he got that touchdown pass from Kyle at South Bend!!! I doubt if any Purdue fan criticized the celebration penalty, or even remembers it! I believe Taylor handed the ball to the referee when he got to the end zone. My son moved to Yakima, a couple of years ago, and says that Taylor is a highly respected individual in that community!

Reactions: Flot and Price
I think that, within reason, a celebration after scoring is fine. Like mentioned above, a lot goes into scoring a touchdown in a college football game. The players should be able to celebrate their accomplishment for both the team and personally for the player. Especially if it is a meaningful touchdown

My wife, the real football fan in our family, already liked Tyler Standiford, and she went off scale when he got that touchdown pass from Kyle at South Bend!!! I doubt if any Purdue fan criticized the celebration penalty, or even remembers it! I believe Taylor handed the ball to the referee when he got to the end zone. My son moved to Yakima, a couple of years ago, and says that Taylor is a highly respected individual in that community!

I believe what you meant to say was Taylor Stubblefield... You just combined two former Boiler receivers lol.

Hey TK!

Taylor Stubblefield and John Standeford (it took me a little time to figure that out).

I just hope when Rondale Bell scores a touchdown this year that he simply hands the ball to the official and goes and sits down, ready to play more football. (wink, wink)

Reactions: chaspark
Hey TK!

Taylor Stubblefield and John Standeford (it took me a little time to figure that out).

I just hope when Rondale Bell scores a touchdown this year that he simply hands the ball to the official and goes and sits down, ready to play more football. (wink, wink)
I'm hoping that is a result of a play where David Moore takes a pitchout then throws back across the field to Rondale Bell for the score.

I know that it’s kind of slow in the summer, so I have several stories that I will post over this period. I’ll probably post several, depending on the feedback.

My son, who wrote for GBI about 20 years ago, called guys like you and me “chronics”. We are terminally ill with Boiler fever. I admit it, I read and watch anything that I can get my hands on about Purdue football (and to a lesser degree, basketball).

A few guys meet up at practice whenever it is open (all the spring practices were open. However, in the fall, the first couple are open, then they shut us out). So these are dedicated to that group including, but not limited to TK, JC, DW, BE and SM.

So it was about the 6th or 7th spring practice, and I waited around afterward to talk to a couple of players. Rondale was being interviewed by an Indy media guy, so I was chatting with a several other players. When he came free from the interview, here is what transpired:

Me: Rondale, can I get a picture with you?

RM: Sure, no problem.

After the picture, in which he had this boyish grin, showing all of his ‘green’ braces. . .

Me: I want you to know, that I’m one of your big promoters on GBI, Facebook and Twitter.

RM: Cool.

Me: I always post when it’s appropriate

“Be like Rondale! Get to the endzone, hand the ball to the official, shut up and go play football. None

of this dancing like a banshee wolf!”

RM (with kind of sheepish grin): Thanks man!

Me: I was just wondering, after the Ohio State game, when everyone was rushing the field, the camera zoomed in on you. You were on the sidelines, not celebrating, just kind of quiet and somber.

RM: I was looking for my mom.

He is very modest and unassuming. He speaks softly and allows his football to speak for him. I did ask him at the next opportunity, if he minded if I posted the picture of us on FB and Twitter, and he told me it was not a problem.

I love Moore too, but dislike the comment about “shut up and play”

Just comes off like a crotchety old man, if not downright disrespectful.

Reactions: NathanWynn77
Have we had 2 studs at basketball and football that have impacted their sport more than those 2? Maybe Big Dog and Alstott??

Hey TK!

Bob Davie is not doing colour commentary any more so I doubt that we will hear about Rondale Bell or David Moore! :)

Reactions: pboiler18
Bob Davie is not doing colour commentary any more so I doubt that we will hear about Rondale Bell or David Moore! :)

Although his record at New Mexico may put him in line for Jerry DiNardo's position.

Bob Davie at New Mexico Lobos (Mountain West Conference) (2012–present)
2012 New Mexico 4–9 1–7 T–9th
2013 New Mexico 3–9 1–7 5th (Mountain)
2014 New Mexico 4–8 2–6 T–5th (Mountain)
2015 New Mexico 7–6 5–3 T–2nd (Mountain) L New Mexico
2016 New Mexico 9–4 6–2 T–1st (Mountain) W New Mexico
2017 New Mexico 3–9 1–7 6th (Mountain)
2018 New Mexico 3–9 1–7 6th (Mountain)
New Mexico: 33–54 17–39

Jerry DiNardo at Indiana Hoosiers (Big Ten Conference) (2002–2004)
2002 Indiana 3–9 1–7 T–10th
2003 Indiana 2–10 1–7 T–9th
2004 Indiana 3–8 1–7 T–10th
Indiana: 8–27 3–21

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT