ADVERTISEMENT

Mockobee

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Another strong effort by the young man, but his coach wouldn’t give him the ball on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down at the 2 yard line.

If that’s me I am in the portal tomorrow. Maybe pull a reverse Charlie Jones and go somewhere like Iowa that’s actually committed to running the football. Prolly get a scholarship out of it too.

Another strong effort by the young man, but his coach wouldn’t give him the ball on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down at the 2 yard line.

If that’s me I am in the portal tomorrow. Maybe pull a reverse Charlie Jones and go somewhere like Iowa that’s actually committed to running the football. Prolly get a scholarship out of it too.
I’m still trying to figure out how he was riding the bench until the ISU game…
He was clearly the hardest running kid in the backfield - and not playing.

I think with Brohm a running back is suposed to pass protect and the ability to actually run is secondary.
Brohm throws it to the RB’s too. Hard for Mockobee to pass pro at under 200 lbs. he does catch it pretty well. I’m not a big fan of having Mockobee in for pass pro. It takes a big collision to slow down a blitzing LB.

Problem is the 220+ lb RB’s that come to Purdue aren’t necessarily game breakers in the running game. I think we get guys who can’t hit the hole and lack breakaway speed.

Brohm throws it to the RB’s too. Hard for Mockobee to pass pro at under 200 lbs. he does catch it pretty well. I’m not a big fan of having Mockobee in for pass pro. It takes a big collision to slow down a blitzing LB.

Problem is the 220+ lb RB’s that come to Purdue aren’t necessarily game breakers in the running game. I think we get guys who can’t hit the hole and lack breakaway speed.
Good points however I am not sure this staff as it is presently composed knows what a game breaker is at the RB position. They can’t recruit the position and our best player is a walk on. I think Mockobee is great, but I am not sure this staff can develop his talent.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Good points however I am not sure this staff as it is presently composed knows what a game breaker is at the RB position. They can’t recruit the position and our best player is a walk on. I think Mockobee is great, but I am not sure this staff can develop his talent.
develop? how about using, 1st and goal at the 2 and no runs

C’mon down!

Mockobee is getting touches. I think Brohm does ok at scheming a running game. I don’t think he sticks with it as much as he should.

Mockobee’s development is up to him in a lot of ways. The guy is a great runner. Can he get to 210 and maintain quickness and elusiveness. If so, he could be a pro. He will need to improve with pass protection and catching the ball out of the backfield. If he really wants to be special, he should learn how to run a few routes at WR.

I’m ok with recruiting a bruiser RB, a guy who goes 220+. I just don’t think we get the elite guys at that weight. Plenty of good players that come out of high school around or below 200 lbs. I think that’s where you find gold for Purdue.

Agree,worst play calling possible in this situation.Mockabee was having a good day and Brohm ignored him.Somebody needs to take the playbook away from Brohm.

Yes, Brohm calls the plays, but sometimes the plays he calls are actually two plays - a run/pass option for AOC to call at the line based on the look he sees the defense is giving. In the post game press conference Brohm said the play call on the fade was a run/pass option. AOC elected to throw the fade instead of call the run play.

ADVERTISEMENT