ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have any insight into what the site changing to Boiler Upload means for this board?

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
At midnight GBI changed to "Boiler Upload". This is what I have garnered so far this morning.

The new publisher, Travis Miller (former manager of Purdue’s SB Nation site, Hammer & Rails) says "As for me, I am planning to write less here and be in more of a managerial role. I will still publish some editorial stuff and I plan to branch out into providing more coverage for sports like baseball, volleyball, women’s basketball, and more…" He also mentions a Katie Gearlds' podcast.

GBI has switched to the ON3 network and can be found at https://www.on3.com/teams/purdue-boilermakers/ . Introductory subscription is $1 for one year. You will have to cough up the $1 regardless of your previous GBI status. The only forums GBI has (so far) are Lobby, Knucklehead Central, Free Board Football and Free Board Men's Basketball.

It will be interesting. If anyone has more insight I would love to hear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: boiler44
At midnight GBI changed to "Boiler Upload". This is what I have garnered so far this morning.

The publisher, Travis Miller, says "As for me, I am planning to write less here and be in more of a managerial role. I will still publish some editorial stuff and I plan to branch out into providing more coverage for sports like baseball, volleyball, women’s basketball, and more here, but Casey and Jace will be the driving voices." He also mentions a Katie Gearlds' podcast.

GBI has switched to the ON3 network and can be found at https://www.on3.com/teams/purdue-boilermakers/ . Introductory subscription is $1 for one year. You will have to cough up the $1 regardless of your previous GBI status. The only forum GBI has (so far) are Lobby, Knucklehead Central, Free Board Football and Free Board Men's Basketball.

The new publisher, Travis Miller (former manager of Purdue’s SB Nation site, Hammer & Rails) says "As for me, I am planning to write less here and be in more of a managerial role. I will still publish some editorial stuff and I plan to branch out into providing more coverage for sports like baseball, volleyball, women’s basketball, and more…" He also mentions a Katie Gearlds' podcast.

GBI has switched to the ON3 network and can be found at https://www.on3.com/teams/purdue-boilermakers/ . Introductory subscription is $1 for one year. You will have to cough up the $1 regardless of your previous GBI status. The only forums GBI has (so far) are Lobby, Knucklehead Central, Free Board Football and Free Board Men's Basketball.

Good to see more coverage of WBB and VB is planned (and also baseball and others). Guess I’m in for a dollar to at least have the access for the first year

I love the new ON3 site as I will follow Brian Neubert and Tom and Alan forever... but was disappointed that they decided not to move over or create a forum yet for Purdue Women's sports and especially this forum to follow PU WBB and VB. Glad that Boiler Upload will keep this forum going. Change is good. Embrace change and let's continue to build up PU Women's sports coverage wherever it may be.

I think it will be great for WBB/VB and perhaps the Olympic sports. I was extremely disappointed with how the guys at GBI just stopped reporting on WBB as a whole. I tried to give them a benefit of the doubt as I assumed they were making journalist money - but in Brian's rivals goodbye - he said he was making roughly 10K a week - that's insane. So you're saying you making all that money yet you couldn't hire a WBB/VB contact to cover those sports or - IDK - *gasp* go to a game or two? That's ridiculous but - they just focused on the money sports as it was obviously making them money by growing the subscription list. And I went over to their new site and they don't even have a WBB forum up - so obviously it's not going to change anytime soon. I really hope these new guys will put some resources in WBB and VB because there ARE people - and quite a few that care about them.

I think it will be great for WBB/VB and perhaps the Olympic sports. I was extremely disappointed with how the guys at GBI just stopped reporting on WBB as a whole. I tried to give them a benefit of the doubt as I assumed they were making journalist money - but in Brian's rivals goodbye - he said he was making roughly 10K a week - that's insane. So you're saying you making all that money yet you couldn't hire a WBB/VB contact to cover those sports or - IDK - *gasp* go to a game or two? That's ridiculous but - they just focused on the money sports as it was obviously making them money by growing the subscription list. And I went over to their new site and they don't even have a WBB forum up - so obviously it's not going to change anytime soon. I really hope these new guys will put some resources in WBB and VB because there ARE people - and quite a few that care about them.
Yes, the way GBI abandoned women’s sports a few years ago was so disappointing, At the same time they let Kyle Charters and the female reporter (can’t remember her name - Stacy?) go. It was pretty obvious that they were having financial issues and didn’t see any upside to reporting on women’s sports. And given the reception that posts on women’s sports get on the premium board i am not entirely surprised.

I just hope the new owners fulfill their promises. They have big ambitions but we will see how much they can actually do. Unfortunately I don’t see that their staff contains many (any?) true jouirnalists - just bloggers and part-timers.

And I would suggest the thing about Brian’s salary is a joke - his salary has been a pretty constant source of jesting and exaggeration by posters on the premium site and he has gone along with it. There is no way anyone at GBI was making half a mil/year.

Last edited:
Yes, the way GBI abandoned women’s sports a few years ago was so disappointing, At the same time they let Kyle Charters and the female reporter (can’t remember her name - Stacy?) go. It was pretty obvious that they were having financial issues and didn’t see any upside to reporting on women’s sports. And given the reception that posts on women’s sports get on the premium board i am not entirely surprised.

I just hope the new owners fulfill their promises. They have big ambitions but we will see how much they can actually do. Unfortunately I don’t see that their staff contains many (any?) true jouirnalists - just bloggers and part-timers.

And I would suggest the thing about Brian’s salary is a joke - his salary has been a pretty constant source of jesting and exaggeration by posters on the premium site and he has gone along with it. There is no way anyone at GBI was making half a mil/year.

I also did an Olympic sports update earlier today.

Jace got his start with us at H&R covering the women's team in 2019-20. He plans on doing the same this year, and he has had a cred to be at the home games the last few years.

I also did an Olympic sports update earlier today.
Hey Travis, how about changing the name of this forum to “Women’s Sports” or “Olympic Sports” or something more inclusive?

There is no possible way that Brian is making $10k / week. BN uses sarcasm. He would dress better if he made that much money (lol). If there was 520,000/year available for a college beat journalist the industry would be thriving and there would be 10-20 people covering Purdue sports full time.

it does seem that BU will cover women’s sports more and I see no reason for them to shut down this forum.

I don’t understand why everything is so binary for some people:
- if you like G&B you cannot support BU
- if you like football and basketball you can’t enjoy women’s sports … and cannot tolerate any coverage of or discussion about those sports

i for one really enjoy volleyball and wish it was available to men when I was growing up. I have enjoyed playing it my whole life at a competitive level…have not been able to say that about football since 9th grade.

look forward to seeing the boilers in person sat MSU and UM this weekend!

There is no possible way that Brian is making $10k / week. BN uses sarcasm. He would dress better if he made that much money (lol). If there was 520,000/year available for a college beat journalist the industry would be thriving and there would be 10-20 people covering Purdue sports full time.

it does seem that BU will cover women’s sports more and I see no reason for them to shut down this forum.

- if you like football and basketball you can’t enjoy women’s sports … and cannot tolerate any coverage of or discussion about those sports

i for one really enjoy volleyball and wish it was available to men when I was growing up. I have enjoyed playing it my whole life at a competitive level…have not been able to say that about football since 9th grade.

Lucky you. We live in Michigan but have not felt well enough to go to the games. It has been a rough fall for us.

As for the rest of your post, YES!

Lucky you. We live in Michigan but have not felt well enough to go to the games. It has been a rough fall for us.

Bad form to reply to myself?

one of my favorite jokes…

There are 10 kinds of people in the world…
Those that “get” binary and those that do not

I am sure your friends will be good losers. :)
They certainly were when they came with me to the MSU football game last year! Nice to go to games with friends from the other school and be able to cheer for an exciting competitive contest and not put too much emotion into who wins and who loses.

I have sat through my share of losses!

Reactions: DocRon

hope you start feeling better

Reactions: BoilerUp81
What part of Michigan? we are east side of detroit.

hope you start feeling better
I live about 60 miles NW of Lansing. Very rural but a nice place to live.

I am glad you got to celebrate a victory. Purdue seems to now be in the habit of looking terrible in our first set but then recovering. Hope we do at least that well with Michigan.

Reactions: JeffBoiler

I am glad you got to celebrate a victory. Purdue seems to now be in the habit of looking terrible in our first set but then recovering. Hope we do at least that well with Michigan.

I like watching volleyball at Jenison better. Breslin is huge for the number of people that come. If they ever get to 50% full (they curtain off the whole upper bowl but the lower bowl was still mostly empty) they will be dangerous.

Chinn had a really strong match…good to see her play well so close to home.

They looked on the ropes late in the 2nd set before that furious comeback.
Yep, they don’t make it easy on themselves lately, do they? Lol!
Same start/finish as vs IU - lose Set 1, then hammer down and win the next 3. Altho’ they sure wobbled in Set 2 tonight b4 closing it out.
Renner is really catching fire & Colvin had a stellar match.

Another tough foe on Sunday @Michigan. As is the rest of the season. There is just no let up. What a tough tough conference!

I like watching volleyball at Jenison better. Breslin is huge for the number of people that come. If they ever get to 50% full (they curtain off the whole upper bowl but the lower bowl was still mostly empty) they will be dangerous.

Chinn had a really strong match…good to see her play well so close to home.
The box score says attendance was 2595 but it sure did not look like that and crowd noise was pretty low volume - at least on the radio stream which is what I listen to. Kyle Shondell (on the radio) said he estimated the crowd at around 2000, and I doubted there were even that many looking at the TV feed.

And WOW, when is the MSU coach (Johnson) due? Will she make it thru the season? At least she does not have to worry about the NCAA Tournament.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JeffBoiler
The box score says attendance was 2595 but it sure did not look like that and crowd noise was pretty low volume - at least on the radio stream which is what I listen to. Kyle Shondell (on the radio) said he estimated the crowd at around 2000, and I doubted there were even that many looking at the TV feed.

And WOW, when is the MSU coach (Johnson) due? Will she make it thru the season? At least she does not have to worry about the NCAA Tournament.

Hard to tell about attendance since it was at Breslin. But, yes, lots of empty seats and definitely quieter than Holloway

I was in the grey bleachers on the same side as the teams and the down official. That area was <20% capacity. The green seats were maybe 30% filled behind us and the ends were completely empty minus the band and the 25 or so MSU students.

I joked with my MSU friends that there were more employees, athletes, band and cheerleaders than fans. It is very hard to tell but was very glad that the curtained off the upper bowl. the atmosphere was <ok. Most of the noise was piped in.

my understanding is that their new coach made it a condition of her hire that they move into Breslin to enable them to recruit better. God bless her for getting around as well as she does given her condition.

on the positive side, GA tickets were $6 and the ice cream sandwiches at MSU are insanely good. Crunchies (favorite EL bar) burgers and a beer before the match are also a winner.

looking forward to AnnArbor on Sunday! Hopefully we start playing at the start of the first set instead of waiting until middle of the 2 nd

Nice job today in Ann Arbor. They looked a lot more crisp than they have lately.

Yes, it was an excellent game. Even when it started with Colvin committing an error the first 3 times she touched the ball. And being unable to get most of her serves into the opponents court. But all is well that ends well. Schermerhorn set a career record - 28 digs!

ADVERTISEMENT