ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting recruiting recruiting

We can’t play against athletic teams for 2 main reasons: 1) We don’t (and historically) have a guard who can drive and either score at the rim, or kickout to an open shooter. This allows the lengthy athletic teams to play pressed out to our shooters and deny passing lanes. 2) We have lacked a strong rebounder for several years (outside of Biggie). How many offensive boards can we give up to the likes of Tennessee last year, or FSU tonight?

Both of these reasons are purely and undeniably recruitment issues.
Disagree. CE is the best penetrating and finishing guard Purdue has EVER had. Period. That's not the problem.
The problem is, you have a spot up shooter (Cline: not a good athlete), Eifert (walk on, not a good athlete), Haarms (7'4 but plays below the rim. Limited offensively) and Eastern (good athlete/good defender, limited offensively). And then your first guy off the bench is a grad walk-on from Dartmouth (good player, but a marginal athlete).
So, 60% of you starting 5 are athletically challenged. That translates into defensive breakdowns, not getting loose balls, the other teams keeping plays alive, etc.
Those things build up over the course of a game and in crunch time, really come into play because a lot of crunch time turns into scramble plays and the faster, quicker guys win scramble plays.

Reactions: DAG10
Seriously? There isn’t a single program in the country that is able to recruit like Duke, not one. Yet, here you are expecting Painter to be fired because he can’t recruit like Duke. Having trouble discerning logic is strong with you.

being able to comprehend my posts is a bigger problem with you!

I never said painter should be fired. not today, not last week, not ever.

I just pointed the finger at all the Purdue fans who use inexperience as an excuse for losing.

I used Duke as an example of a team that has a lot of inexperienced players. There are many other teams I could have used. Purdue didn't lose last night's game because of their inexperience. they lost because an experienced player can't make a free throw down the stretch. And we've seen this same exact thing many times before.

I hate when people say we're young and inexperienced. the teams we play are also just as young and inexperienced . it's a cop out and excuse.

Reactions: DAG10
No, I actually agree with him here. He's saying our problems are in lack of talent. Not in lack of experience or athleticism.

Painter has failed to string together highly ranked recruiting classes. That's why we had a major dropoff after Hummel graduated, and will likely have another major dropoff after Carsen graduates.

I think Painter is about the best coach we can get. But he has to find a way to consistently bring in better talent. It baffles my mind how he didn't bring in high level recruits after our 30 win season and had all that playing time available.

We can't afford this "1 decent player in a class" thing. That's going to get you exactly where we are, which is on the NCAA bubble.
Why do you think Painter is the best we can get?
We've had 2 head basketall coaches in the last 39 years and one picked the other to succeed him. There was no injection of new blood or philosophy to the program. Keady wasn't a good recruiter and Painter is proving to be very similar.

Yea, the difference is that they all had backup plans, or other highly ranked players to turn to. OSU has a GREAT recruiting class. It looks like MSU and IU will end up with really good recruiting classes that contain multiple top 50 players as well.

Meanwhile we landed a solid guard that should be really good in a couple of years, a hurt/undersized PF, and a very low ranked 3* guard. These are the players that are supposed to replace an AA in Carsen Edwards, and our second best scorer in Cline.

This is why missing on Okoro and Malik Hall are such tough losses. Those are the caliber players you need.

Look at Michigan -- they bring in a 5 star and a bunch of top 60-70 kids seemingly every year.

Last edited:
Because he is a top coach in the country and unless Izzo, Coach K, etc are willing to leave and come here, we are not going to get any better.

Your comment actually is a perfect example of how Painter has spoiled the fanbase. It's great to want more and I have little doubt no one does more than the coaching staff, but the reality is we have an outstanding coach and the solution isn't to fire him just because he isn't doing something on YOUR timetable of self-entitlement.

I wonder if you would be so quick to have that attitude if you were held to the same standard where you work. Sorta like "Sorry you're one of the top people in your field in the country, consistently have good to great results, but we have to fire you anyway because yelp reviews are bad".

What you need to come to terms with is that no matter how many times it is posted here, Painter isn't going anywhere .. ever... unless he tanks a couple years in a row. So your best solution is to find a way to support the team as we go through some growing pains.

Painter should go out,find the best recruiter in the country and throw a TON of money at him to come to Purdue. I don't care if the guy can spell X and O. He's not there to coach, his job is to close the deal. Period. He can sit on the bench in a suit but he's not a coach, he's a recruiter.

Because he is a top coach in the country and unless Izzo, Coach K, etc are willing to leave and come here, we are not going to get any better.

Your comment actually is a perfect example of how Painter has spoiled the fanbase. It's great to want more and I have little doubt no one does more than the coaching staff, but the reality is we have an outstanding coach and the solution isn't to fire him just because he isn't doing something on YOUR timetable of self-entitlement.

I wonder if you would be so quick to have that attitude if you were held to the same standard where you work. Sorta like "Sorry you're one of the top people in your field in the country, consistently have good to great results, but we have to fire you anyway because yelp reviews are bad".

What you need to come to terms with is that no matter how many times it is posted here, Painter isn't going anywhere .. ever... unless he tanks a couple years in a row. So your best solution is to find a way to support the team as we go through some growing pains.

So, Painter has been here 14 years. Has 1 B10 league title, 1 B10 tourny title and 2 S16 appearances.
If he's here another 5 years, to make it an even 20 and never gets past the S16, do you still consider his career successful? That would be 45 years without a FF appearance.
I get it. He runs a top 25 program, fills the arena, gets to the tourney. The program is good, not great. I'm sure the administration is satisfied with that. But, at the same time, it's a source of frustration for fans.

Reactions: DAG10 and pu1985

I'll turn the question back on you - list the coaches that are both better than Painter and realistic candidates to coach long term at Purdue. Can't be more than a couple in the nation. In fact, I can't think of one.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Those recruits aren't there yet. They are 2019. Holtmann has proven he can coach without the recruits though. Give him elite talent and look out.

That's the thing most of us see with CMP. He has proven he can coach without elite recruits. If he were to land top talent, we would be title contenders. However, we continue to bring knives to a gun fight.
Their 2018 class is playing. Ranked 6th in the BIG (247), with 2 four stars and 2 three stars. I watched the game. They are not bad, but without Bates-Diop, recruited by the previous coach, they are not all that great.

I wonder almost every day if these posters are the Pres/CEO of their multi-million dollar companies. Or if the Pres/CEO of their companies is one of the fifteen best in the world. I also wonder how they judge their kids' performance in the classroom, on the field, in the band????

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I'll turn the question back on you - list the coaches that are both better than Painter and realistic candidates to coach long term at Purdue. Can't be more than a couple in the nation. In fact, I can't think of one.
Yeah, I studied this last year . . . not one that I am sure would be better (assuming he'd consider coming here). When we have a coach that everyone but probably 20 teams/fanbases would love to have . . . the market is pretty slim.

Well thankfully we kept our football coach. Very hard to win tight games with no PG.
What that can't be true! Most people on here raved and fawned about NE.Can't remember for sure but one of the guys on Rivals said early on that NE was not a point guard my God almost everybody gave him hell! I think hes right and have said so.

Their 2018 class is playing. Ranked 6th in the BIG (247), with 2 four stars and 2 three stars. I watched the game. They are not bad, but without Bates-Diop, recruited by the previous coach, they are not all that great.
Wait till he gets all of his players there. They lost their entire 2015 recruiting class to transfer. He is in year 2, not 14. If in year 14 he has only 4 S16 and 2 Big Ten championships, he will be fired.

Yes, he would. They are a football school, but they still care about basketball.
Nope. I mean seriously you can't really believe that. No rational thinking person would.

I gave you a chance, your drivel hasn't changed so back on ignore you go. I mean I shouldn't expect anything less from a proven IU troll, that is my mistake.

Nope. I mean seriously you can't really believe that. No rational thinking person would.

I gave you a chance, your drivel hasn't changed so back on ignore you go. I mean I shouldn't expect anything less from a proven IU troll, that is my mistake.
IU just fired a coach with the same success as Painter. OSU would do the same.

Wait till he gets all of his players there. They lost their entire 2015 recruiting class to transfer. He is in year 2, not 14. If in year 14 he has only 4 S16 and 2 Big Ten championships, he will be fired.
I'll be glad to wait. Maybe you should too, before deciding that the grass is always greener on the other side of the BIG.

I'll be glad to wait. Maybe you should too, before deciding that the grass is always greener on the other side of the BIG.
What? All I said was we should be recruiting at the same level as OSU, MSU, and IU. There is no need to wait to determine we aren't on their level in that department.

We haven't had a class on their level since 2007. Since that class we've landed 1 top 50 recruit.

this was an expressed concern in the off season. this was also a major deficiency in the past where talented Purdue teams would choke and lose to inferior teams because they couldn't close out a game by hitting their free throws.

And hitting free throws has nothing to do with experience or athleticism. I have vivid memories of the Purdue teams with the Johnsons at guard. I cannot count the number of games the y gave away because they couldn't hit a free throw. it's deja vu all over again.

Purdue's inability to hit free throws down the stretch is a broken record!
Neither of the Johnson's were very athletic.

This is why missing on Okoro and Malik Hall are such tough losses. Those are the caliber players you need.

Look at Michigan -- they bring in a 5 star and a bunch of top 60-70 kids seemingly every year.
Yet they are also 5-2 and lossed to an unranked team.

What? All I said was we should be recruiting at the same level as OSU, MSU, and IU. There is no need to wait to determine we aren't on their level in that department.

We haven't had a class on their level since 2007. Since that class we've landed 1 top 50 recruit.

Last 6 classes Nationally according to 247:
33 2014
37 2015
108 2016
34 2017
48 2018
34 2019

2007 6th
Last top 25 class 2012. Ranked 16th with AJ, Rapheal, Jay Simpson and Ronnie Johnson.

We have top 25 teams but we don't recruit like a top 25 team.
I can't understand why we're not going to the final four?:(

Last 6 classes Nationally according to 247:
33 2014
37 2015
108 2016
34 2017
48 2018
34 2019

2007 6th
Last top 25 class 2012. Ranked 16th with AJ, Rapheal, Jay Simpson and Ronnie Johnson.

We have top 25 teams but we don't recruit like a top 25 team.
I can't understand why we're not going to the final four?:(
Great research. It appears our recruiting hasn't actually been getting better.

Reactions: BoilerBlake18
Great research. It appears our recruiting hasn't actually been getting better.
Yea, the 2019 number is likely inflated as many of the top recruits haven't committed. For example IU is currently 93 but we know they are finalist for a couple high level recruits. If they get any of the big fish they'll leap frog Purdue.

Reactions: BoilerBlake18
Okay I gotta get out of the data but Maryland, IU, Michigan and Michigan State had the 7th, 10th, 12th and 17th rated classes last year. We had the 9th best class in the Big Ten when we essentially had 4 starting positions open for competition.

Ohio State currently has the 9th rated class in 2019. MSU was 3rd in 2016.

I do think it shows Painter does well with the talent he gets and I think we'll be okay as long as Carsen is here but I'm starting to fear that its going to catch up to us over the next couple of years if we don't land a pretty good class soon.

Okay I gotta get out of the data but Maryland, IU, Michigan and Michigan State had the 7th, 10th, 12th and 17th rated classes last year. We had the 9th best class in the Big Ten when we essentially had 4 starting positions open for competition.

Ohio State currently has the 9th rated class in 2019. MSU was 3rd in 2016.

I do think it shows Painter does well with the talent he gets and I think we'll be okay as long as Carsen is here but I'm starting to fear that its going to catch up to us over the next couple of years if we don't land a pretty good class soon.
Might be already too late. The recruiting pool for ‘19 is already empty.

I get very tired of people using the youth and inexperience as an excuse for losing. Duke is a lot younger than Purdue, and has never used youth and inexperience as an excuse. They thrive on youth. their inexperienced freshmen are ten times better than our seniors.

Talent beats experience 90% of the time.
Sorry how is that even a fair comparision, we don't have 10 5 stars on our roster.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
Jeez- give it a rest. Youth killed us tonight. Not having steady leadership from the upperclassmen hurt us (like a PJ).

Our nonathletic team shut them down for most of the second half and would have won us the game barring some stupid decisions and bad luck with refs.
We actually ran set plays that slowed them down. First half we were jacking shots up and that seems to be our issue at times. PG is what we lack or just flat out have trust in NE to run our offensive sets. CE needs to stay at the 2 or these games will continue to fall the other way.

Silly. There is a thread. Try to follow it.
Someone said "we have no one coming back that can score."

You said "Hunter cant score?" (Implying that he could)

He cant. Shooting 30% from the field and 25% from 3. If we go into next season counting on him to be one of our top 2 scorers, we will be worse than our 14-15' team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT