ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting recruiting recruiting

Apr 23, 2010
When you are continually coming up short in pressure situations you’re short on talent. That folks is Purdue Basketball. Ahead 72-64 with 3 minutes left and completely out-athleticized down the stretch. A new low. Now we are officially a football school.

When you are continually coming up short in pressure situations you’re short on talent. That folks is Purdue Basketball. Ahead 72-64 with 3 minutes left and completely out-athleticized down the stretch. A new low. Now we are officially a football school.
Well thankfully we kept our football coach. Very hard to win tight games with no PG.

Next year could be just plain awful. We have no one coming back or coming in that can score.

I wouldn’t be that negative. Brandon can score. I’m pretty sure he does nothing but score. He’s a very good shooter. And that’s something we could use with all the bricks I saw being heaved up today.

We can’t play against athletic teams for 2 main reasons: 1) We don’t (and historically) have a guard who can drive and either score at the rim, or kickout to an open shooter. This allows the lengthy athletic teams to play pressed out to our shooters and deny passing lanes. 2) We have lacked a strong rebounder for several years (outside of Biggie). How many offensive boards can we give up to the likes of Tennessee last year, or FSU tonight?

Both of these reasons are purely and undeniably recruitment issues.

Reactions: Baritter
The way we played in the second half showed we could hang with an "athletic team" with our current players. Our timing for substitutions seemed like we were trying to kill our momentum. When things are going good try not to make substitutions. I know sometimes you have to give someone a break but just seemed like poor timing to me. Last year in the NCAA's we were making a significant comback against Texas Tech and we took Taylor out of the game and then Texas Tech went on a 9 Oh run - game over!

This post reminds me. Totally forgot!

Would Taylor not have gotten minutes on this front line?

Is he actually healthy and playing whereever he transferred to?

This post reminds me. Totally forgot!

Would Taylor not have gotten minutes on this front line?

Is he actually healthy and playing whereever he transferred to?

Jacquil Taylor is playing for Hofstra this year....getting about 20 minutes/game and doing rather well on the glass from what I can tell....had 17 in an overtime loss to Virginia Commonwealth recently while starting. Good to see him continue his opportunity after all the injury uncertainty.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3136992/jacquil-taylor

Jeez- give it a rest. Youth killed us tonight. Not having steady leadership from the upperclassmen hurt us (like a PJ).

Our nonathletic team shut them down for most of the second half and would have won us the game barring some stupid decisions and bad luck with refs.
We start 3 seniors....Just saying.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I get very tired of people using the youth and inexperience as an excuse for losing. Duke is a lot younger than Purdue, and has never used youth and inexperience as an excuse. They thrive on youth. their inexperienced freshmen are ten times better than our seniors.

Talent beats experience 90% of the time.

We were “athletic” enough to play even with the 15 th ranked team in the nation, on their floor. I am tired of reading this BS about athletes. Hitting free throws made the difference in that game. We hit them, then FSU is forced to foul and we win going away.

this was an expressed concern in the off season. this was also a major deficiency in the past where talented Purdue teams would choke and lose to inferior teams because they couldn't close out a game by hitting their free throws.

And hitting free throws has nothing to do with experience or athleticism. I have vivid memories of the Purdue teams with the Johnsons at guard. I cannot count the number of games the y gave away because they couldn't hit a free throw. it's deja vu all over again.

Purdue's inability to hit free throws down the stretch is a broken record!

I get very tired of people using the youth and inexperience as an excuse for losing. Duke is a lot younger than Purdue, and has never used youth and inexperience as an excuse. They thrive on youth. their inexperienced freshmen are ten times better than our seniors.

Well it always helps when your talent includes a human wrecking ball that weighs the same as big boy Trevion but can leap into orbit.

We can’t play against athletic teams for 2 main reasons: 1) We don’t (and historically) have a guard who can drive and either score at the rim, or kickout to an open shooter. This allows the lengthy athletic teams to play pressed out to our shooters and deny passing lanes. 2) We have lacked a strong rebounder for several years (outside of Biggie). How many offensive boards can we give up to the likes of Tennessee last year, or FSU tonight?

Both of these reasons are purely and undeniably recruitment issues.
We had 10 offensive rebounds to their 8. Get your facts right.

Seriously? There isn’t a single program in the country that is able to recruit like Duke, not one. Yet, here you are expecting Painter to be fired because he can’t recruit like Duke. Having trouble discerning logic is strong with you.

Seriously? There isn’t a single program in the country that is able to recruit like Duke, not one. Yet, here you are expecting Painter to be fired because he can’t recruit like Duke. Having trouble discerning logic is strong with you.

No, I actually agree with him here. He's saying our problems are in lack of talent. Not in lack of experience or athleticism.

Painter has failed to string together highly ranked recruiting classes. That's why we had a major dropoff after Hummel graduated, and will likely have another major dropoff after Carsen graduates.

I think Painter is about the best coach we can get. But he has to find a way to consistently bring in better talent. It baffles my mind how he didn't bring in high level recruits after our 30 win season and had all that playing time available.

We can't afford this "1 decent player in a class" thing. That's going to get you exactly where we are, which is on the NCAA bubble.

Reactions: bstrouse
I think Painter is about the best coach we can get. But he has to find a way to consistently bring in better talent. It baffles my mind how he didn't bring in high level recruits after our 30 win season and had all that playing time available.
It shouldn't baffle you because in order to get those high recruits we want, we have to also go up against the top tier programs. Everyone makes it sound like that we should be able to just show up, say "we have playing time" like everyone else and the recruits will just line right up. Plus these recruits have a mind of their own and are going to go where they want in the end. You can't force them to choose your school.

As Treed as pointed out, it doesn't work that way. And it's not like Painter isn't getting talent, he is and with his propensity to develop said talent they will turn in to stars. Just look at Carsen Edwards for that matter and the strides Nojel has taken in just one off-season.

There is a self-entitled, instant gratification thought process on here after a loss. But jumping off the ledge after just a handful of games with losses to ranked teams by a small margin, is just a bit over the top to me.

Last edited:
It shouldn't baffle you because in order to get those high recruits we want, we have to also go up against the top tier programs. Everyone makes it sound like that we should be able to just show up, say "we have playing time" like everyone else and the recruits will just line right up. Plus these recruits have a mind of their own and are going to go where they want in the end. You can't force them to choose your school.

As Treed as pointed out, it doesn't work that way. And it's not like Painter isn't getting talent, he is and with his propensity to develop said talent they will turn in to stars. Just look at Carsen Edwards for that and the strides Nojel has taken in just one off-season.

There is a self-entitled, instant gratification thought process on here after a loss. But jumping off the ledge after just a handful of games with losses to ranked teams by a small margin, is just a bit over the top to me.
We should be recruiting on the same level as teams like MSU, IU, and OSU. We aren't recruiting close to that level.

Reactions: DAG10
We should be recruiting on the same level as teams like MSU, IU, and OSU. We aren't recruiting close to that level.
Yet we routinely beat those teams, have a 30 win season and get back-to-back S16s. Yeah I think I'll take facts over hyperbole and emotional negativity, thanks though.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Sorry. 2 seniors and a Junior who probably won't be back.

We start 2 seniors yes, one who had never really seen the floor prior to last year (and given yesterday, could definitely be getting less minutes moving forward) AND one who has played a decent amount but also never been in crunch time minutes.

Carsen is the only one on this team who I would considered experienced and even he is learning how to be THE guy. Nojel, Haarms, Hunter, Wheeler and the freshman are still theoretically at the front end of their college careers. I'd say even Ebo is new just considering this level of play. All of that considered + a team that is learning together = some shaky closeouts to games at the beginning of the season. At least these are good losses in the eyes of the committee (at least right now).

Look for this team to be special in the new year. These growing pains are everything I expected.

Yet we routinely beat those teams, have a 30 win season and get back-to-back S16s. Yeah I think I'll take facts over hyperbole and emotional negativity, thanks though.
We had a great 2014 class. That class is no longer here. The 30 wins and back to back sweet 16s is not relevant to this team as almost all of the production on those teams are gone. Oh and FYI, both MSU and OSU finished ahead of us in the Big Ten.

The fact remains that we have been sub par in recruiting given our recent success.

So, Nnnaji was recruited by PU, OSU, Wisc, IU, MInn ... ... they all lost him ...
Yea, the difference is that they all had backup plans, or other highly ranked players to turn to. OSU has a GREAT recruiting class. It looks like MSU and IU will end up with really good recruiting classes that contain multiple top 50 players as well.

Meanwhile we landed a solid guard that should be really good in a couple of years, a hurt/undersized PF, and a very low ranked 3* guard. These are the players that are supposed to replace an AA in Carsen Edwards, and our second best scorer in Cline.

Yea, the difference is that they all had backup plans, or other highly ranked players to turn to. OSU has a GREAT recruiting class. It looks like MSU and IU will end up with really good recruiting classes that contain multiple top 50 players as well.

Meanwhile we landed a solid guard that should be really good in a couple of years, a hurt/undersized PF, and a very low ranked 3* guard. These are the players that are supposed to replace an AA in Carsen Edwards, and our second best scorer in Cline.
SO, did OSU win last night? Did those great recruiting classes help? Just curious, since we seem to regularly finish in the same upper echelon pack as MSU and OSU every year.

SO, did OSU win last night? Did those great recruiting classes help? Just curious, since we seem to regularly finish in the same upper echelon pack as MSU and OSU every year.
Those recruits aren't there yet. They are 2019. Holtmann has proven he can coach without the recruits though. Give him elite talent and look out.

That's the thing most of us see with CMP. He has proven he can coach without elite recruits. If he were to land top talent, we would be title contenders. However, we continue to bring knives to a gun fight.

Reactions: bstrouse
What junior won't be back?
Who knows if he'll make the league. My guess is that someone will draft him and give him a shot. If he knows he'll get drafted, I think he'll go. I was under the impression that this was the opinion of most.

Regardless, the point is that we are not a young team, 3 starters who are juniors or seniors, two sophomores who were in the rotation last year and our 6th man is a grad transfer. Inexperienced, maybe... but not young.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT