ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting improvements?

If you like that version then so be it. CMP didn't inherit a mess of sorts either?
Not even comparable...and, it is not the topic at hand anyway, just merely pointing out how much differently (and better) Brohm handled it initially and likely will moving forward as well.

Not even comparable...and, it is not the topic at hand anyway, just merely pointing out how much differently (and better) Brohm handled it initially and likely will moving forward as well.

CMP did a helluva job early as well......whether you want to accept that or not is your agenda. And if your crystal ball says Brohm will continue with success...….then great! LOL

Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG
Playing Time? How can that be used against a team with better recruits. Theoretically, players coming into a program with higher rated recruits would have more trouble finding playing time.
Location? E Lansing=$hit hole.
Friends? You mean all the recruits Izzo has pulled out of IN and their friends/family from IN?
Shoes? We’re a Nike school with a former AAU coach on staff.
If I were a 4 or 5 and saw a 3 or 4 that was seasoned and good playing at my spot with a school I was considering I might not think I was going to get 30 minutes a game...and that might affect me. If I saw another 5 and knew he would be gone that too might affect me. There are other scenarios, but that's enough. I guess having differences we could call them variables...variables other than a coach. How important? who knows and that magnitude would be an average because for some it would be much more important than for others...more variables. Still, if you think only the coach is important...you could be right?

Reactions: PU pit bull
Painters respect amongst other coaches is irrelevant. It’s how he and his system is viewed by top 100 recruits (and AAU coaches) that matters.
After all, other coaches have a vested interest in Painter’s inabilities in recruiting.
I'm sure all the coaches that get beat with more talent have a vested interest. It's probably the Russians and collusion. I suspect that the Russians have colluded with other coaches with payments to vote for Matt to work with USA basketball to field poorer teams. That or direct payments to the Painter Foundation for pay to play ...the players they want. If coaches know a bit more than fans and they think Matt is pretty good it would appear there could easily be a downside to coaching abilities with another and whether the recruiting potential upside was greater.

Reactions: SKYDOG and BBG
If I were a 4 or 5 and saw a 3 or 4 that was seasoned and good playing at my spot with a school I was considering I might not think I was going to get 30 minutes a game...and that might affect me.
So how does Duke or Kentucky or Kansas get elite kids year over year?

Gee, I wonder.
I hear ya...but everyone isn't paying players. Let me guess only Purdue isn't? There have been a ton of teams make an elite eight or final four. Unfortunately for us it hasn't happened under CMP. I think everyone on this board would love to see this happen or change. It just doesn't look that promising for the near future. I think people believe CMP is a good coach but Purdue might need a great coach to achieve certain goals. I'm sure every coach, fan and alumni would love to see these things reached. We are all Boilers at heart just with different opinions.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Gemini95
So how does Duke or Kentucky or Kansas get elite kids year over year?
Well, if they had one and dones I guess there would be some openings for other 5 star players not to mention shoes and such to not share as much time. Kansas hasn't had quite the talent over the years as Duke and Kentucky. Like others (only I admit it) I don't know why certain kids pick certain teams...probably a lot of hype enters the fray I'm sure. Why do you find clothing marketed for many of the same schools no matter the location? What would you think if a team all of a sudden started landing players like kentucky, Duke and Kansas...would you be suspicious of something not on the level? If so, why if that should be the norm?

I hear ya...but everyone isn't paying players. Let me guess only Purdue isn't? There have been a ton of teams make an elite eight or final four. Unfortunately for us it hasn't happened under CMP. I think everyone on this board would love to see this happen or change. It just doesn't look that promising for the near future. I think people believe CMP is a good coach but Purdue might need a great coach to achieve certain goals. I'm sure every coach, fan and alumni would love to see these things reached. We are all Boilers at heart just with different opinions.

To me, it's happened enough over time that if a school like "so and so" went clean at some point......the damage was already done. They won, and cheated doing it.....and now they are on the map as winners in these kids eyes. And no one cares. Just look at the ZERO affect any of this FBI/shoe company jazz has had on some of these schools recruiting......ie Louisville, etc. It absolutely sickens me.

Well, if they had one and dones I guess there would be some openings for other 5 star players not to mention shoes and such to not share as much time. Kansas hasn't had quite the talent over the years as Duke and Kentucky. Like others (only I admit it) I don't know why certain kids pick certain teams...probably a lot of hype enters the fray I'm sure. Why do you find clothing marketed for many of the same schools no matter the location? What would you think if a team all of a sudden started landing players like kentucky, Duke and Kansas...would you be suspicious of something not on the level? If so, why if that should be the norm?
So shoes is the answer? Nice how the excuses come in immediately instead of addressing the issue.

Do you think the popularity of the brand has something to do with the leader of that program? Perhaps Painter needs to be more relatable to increase his marketability.

Reactions: BoilerIron
As much as some people around here want to deny it, i really do believe having players like grady in his starting line-up is absolutely used to negatively recruit against painter. Ebo too. Wheeler and Williams should absolutely be starting over both.
Like times infinity

To me, it's happened enough over time that if a school like "so and so" went clean at some point......the damage was already done. They won, and cheated doing it.....and now they are on the map as winners in these kids eyes. And no one cares. Just look at the ZERO affect any of this FBI/shoe company jazz has had on some of these schools recruiting......ie Louisville, etc. It absolutely sickens me.
I agree but not every school should or could be labeled that way. You would think that the one and done players do not need the money considering the future. Yes, is there dirty recruiting100% but who's to say Purdue has or hasn't ever done that. Do you really believe Big Dog didn't get some special treatment? I hope not but I'm also not naive.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I agree but not every school should or could be labeled that way. You would think that the one and done players do not need the money considering the future. Yes, is there dirty recruiting100% but who's to say Purdue has or hasn't ever done that. Do you really believe Big Dog didn't get some special treatment? I hope not but I'm also not naive.

It may not even be about the money to some. Some of these schools just have that reputation for getting players to the NBA. How they got that rep is the serious question. I bring up cheating a lot, only because I think it really is "only the tip of the iceberg", as has been suggested. It is such a big business now. I wouldn't put anything past anyone at this point. It may have occurred only for a few good, good recruiting classes...…...and then a couple of final fours later...…..this school is now mentioned as one of the "elite". And the ball keeps rolling from there. If PU does cheat, then they are not very good at it LOL, but I see what you mean here.

Last edited:
So shoes is the answer? Nice how the excuses come in immediately instead of addressing the issue.

Do you think the popularity of the brand has something to do with the leader of that program? Perhaps Painter needs to be more relatable to increase his marketability.
actually in () you will notice that I admit I don't know. The popular brands in clothing are for the school...football...basketball...students...family of students. Before Fanatics there were about 20 schools that you could find anywhere..and Purdue wasn't one. Here is the thing...everyone has an opinion on needing better recruits. Many revert to star power to assess the future ability of a team. We know the game is becoming less team oriented and that teams loaded with players are doing well in the tourney where there is less coaching (being the end of teh season and knowing less about the team you are playing) than perhaps earlier in the season. Some think it is all on a coach and others don't. No matter what side anyone is on...it is all speculation into the future. Somehow with Matt not getting the top recruits he beats out most of the Big consistently. What anyone wants to believe is okay with me

As much as some people around here want to deny it, i really do believe having players like grady in his starting line-up is absolutely used to negatively recruit against painter. Ebo too. Wheeler and Williams should absolutely be starting over both.

If that were true, then why are Michigan and Ohio State still getting great players after having Andrew Dakich on their rosters?

Caleb is on record...more than once, including his return last year when he was honored...with respect to his not wanting to play for Painter.
OK, it's one thing to give your own opinion. But when you claim that a former player made a statement that no knowledgeable person on this board has ever seen, then your already weak credibility is at stake. I suggest you produce these multiple "records".

CMP did a helluva job early as well......whether you want to accept that or not is your agenda. And if your crystal ball says Brohm will continue with success...….then great! LOL
He did a "helluva job" one time, and, one time only early on...and, it was the result of the literal perfect storm of circumstances.

What did he do with that success? He rode it to a subsequent last-place finish in the conference.

No agenda at all...simply pointing out the differences between the two, and, I firmly expect them to become even more apparent moving forward.

He did a "helluva job" one time, and, one time only early on...and, it was the result of the literal perfect storm of circumstances.

What did he do with that success? He rode it to a subsequent last-place finish in the conference.

No agenda at all...simply pointing out the differences between the two, and, I firmly expect them to become even more apparent moving forward.
No agenda? Sorry. You sunk that ship with your claim about Swanigan's statement. Why would you do that? Obvious agenda.

Reactions: mathboy
OK, it's one thing to give your own opinion. But when you claim that a former player made a statement that no knowledgeable person on this board has ever seen, then your already weak credibility is at stake. I suggest you produce these multiple "records".
From the J&C, 2/19/18:
"Swanigan spoke briefly to the crowd, telling them he didn't initially like Purdue during the recruiting process. Once he arrived, however, he said he felt at home."

He has said it more than once...and, was very clear on the matter during the actual recruiting process.

For that matter, Painter was barely even involved in the process...in fact, there were former Purdue players and coaches far more involved, and, even at that, Caleb still did not want to go to Purdue and play for Painter.

Yeah CMP only did well one time...........yeah, no agenda there LOL. What was it, his ninth season when PU finished last?

Southern Illinois Salukis (Missouri Valley Conference) (2003–2004)
2003–04 Southern Illinois 25–5 17–1 1st NCAA Division I Round of 64
Southern Illinois: 25–5 (.833) 17–1 (.944)
Purdue Boilermakers (Big Ten Conference) (2005–present)
2005–06 Purdue 9–19 3–13 11th
2006–07 Purdue 22–12 9–7 T–4th NCAA Division I Round of 32
2007–08 Purdue 25–9 15–3 2nd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2008–09 Purdue 27–10 11–7 T–2nd NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2009–10 Purdue 29–6 14–4 T–1st NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2010–11 Purdue 26–8 14–4 2nd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2011–12 Purdue 22–13 10–8 6th NCAA Division I Round of 32
2012–13 Purdue 16–18 8–10 T-7th CBI Quarterfinal
2013–14 Purdue 15–17 5–13 12th
2014–15 Purdue 21–13 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64
2015–16 Purdue 26–9 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64
2016–17 Purdue 27–8 14–4 1st NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2017–18 Purdue 30–7 15–3 T–2nd NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2018–19 Purdue 7–5 1–1 TBD
Purdue: 302–154 (.662) 143–89 (.616)
Total: 327–159 (.673)

From the J&C, 2/19/18:
"Swanigan spoke briefly to the crowd, telling them he didn't initially like Purdue during the recruiting process. Once he arrived, however, he said he felt at home."

He has said it more than once...and, was very clear on the matter during the actual recruiting process.

For that matter, Painter was barely even involved in the process...in fact, there were former Purdue players and coaches far more involved, and, even at that, Caleb still did not want to go to Purdue and play for Painter.
That quote is not even close to what you claimed Swanigan said. And you repeating your claim after providing his actual quote makes you look even more like someone with an agenda.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
Big difference in star ratings between football and basketball. Karlaftis and Moore are better than any two recruits Painter has ever had. Add in Bell, and it's not even close.
Karlaftis, who hasn't played a single college game, is a better recruit than Caleb Swanigan, a 5 star McDonald's All-American, Gatorade Player of the Year and Mr. Basketball who was a first team All American at Purdue? You serious, Clark?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
From the J&C, 2/19/18:

Lol, well this blew up in your face. Badly.

No agenda? Sorry. You sunk that ship with your claim about Swanigan's statement. Why would you do that? Obvious agenda.
Not sure there is an agenda since none of us at THIS table have any meaningful input into the future of Purdue basektball. That said DAG10 almost two decades ago was DG10 and not a Keady or Matt fan...but I'm sure one was more distasteful than the other. He has been consistent for many years and so I don't see him trying to jab here and there, but just expressing his views that have went on a long time...views that obviously some share.

Going back to around 1 1/2 decades ago ...around 2004, Purdue had recruited Robert Vaden who Mike Davis (IU) ended up capturing from Purdue . Most thought since eighth grade Robert was Purdue's. DG10 posted a lot about that loss..how Davis attended chruch with Robert etc. BTW, when Davis was canned, Robert followed him to UAB.

DG10 was also very vocal during the Ronnie Johnson time and critical of the coaching...essentially playing Ronnie Johnson.

So, I think it is safe to say DG10 is a critic...particularly of Purdue basketball for the last several years and so nothing has changed. However, I think he wishes Purdue well...just not happy with Purdue the last several years...AND no doubt there are others as well.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Not sure there is an agenda since none of us at THIS table have any meaningful input into the future of Purdue basektball. That said DAG10 almost two decades ago was DG10 and not a Keady or Matt fan...but I'm sure one was more distasteful than the other. He has been consistent for many years and so I don't see him trying to jab here and there, but just expressing his views that have went on a long time...views that obviously some share.

Going back to around 1 1/2 decades ago ...around 2004, Purdue had recruited Robert Vaden who Mike Davis (IU) ended up capturing from Purdue . Most thought since eighth grade Robert was Purdue's. DG10 posted a lot about that loss..how Davis attended chruch with Robert etc. BTW, when Davis was canned, Robert followed him to UAB.

DG10 was also very vocal during the Ronnie Johnson time and critical of the coaching...essentially playing Ronnie Johnson.

So, I think it is safe to say DG10 is a critic...particularly of Purdue basketball for the last several years and so nothing has changed. However, I think he wishes Purdue well...just not happy with Purdue the last several years...AND no doubt there are others as well.
Ah, yes, I recognize the style. From what I recall in the past, he does seem to have ramped up the hyperbole a bit.

Someone touched on this in another thread. Does Brohm’s successful style of recruiting rub off or otherwise influence Painter in the coming year(s)?

Im not all that sure that Painter will ever fully change his recruiting style. Mason Gillis is a perfect example of this. I dont think Matt Painter really cares what recruiting sites rank Gillis, he just sees a versatile 4-year jack of all trades that fits his system to a T. I dont think hes ever going to stop targeting these types of players, regardless of ranking.

But I do get your point, he wants to start landing the JJJs, Malik Halls, and Jalen Brunsons of the world.

Karlaftis, who hasn't played a single college game, is a better recruit than Caleb Swanigan, a 5 star McDonald's All-American, Gatorade Player of the Year and Mr. Basketball who was a first team All American at Purdue? You serious, Clark?
Yes, Karlaftis is a better RECRUIT than anyone Painter has had. It is much more impressive for Brohm to keep a recruit of that caliber in state for football than it is for Painter to get Biggie whose guardian is a former Purdue athlete.

Painter has really struggled to recruit the state after the 2007 class.

Yes, Karlaftis is a better RECRUIT than anyone Painter has had. It is much more impressive for Brohm to keep a recruit of that caliber in state for football than it is for Painter to get Biggie whose guardian is a former Purdue athlete.

Painter has really struggled to recruit the state after the 2007 class.
Biggie had more accolades in high school than George did. He was more heralded than George in pretty much every way possible. Plus, those advantages Painter had with Biggie, Brohm had with George spending the last several years in West Lafayette and his family being so close. George is definitely not a better recruit than Biggie. That's just stuff you're making up to fit your narrative.

As for your last sentence, agree for the most part. But that doesn't really matter, just get good players, who cares where they are from. Missing on Hall and Llewellyn were as big as any in-state misses the last several years because we had a shot with those guys.

Biggie had more accolades in high school than George did. He was more heralded than George in pretty much every way possible. Plus, those advantages Painter had with Biggie, Brohm had with George spending the last several years in West Lafayette and his family being so close. George is definitely not a better recruit than Biggie. That's just stuff you're making up to fit your narrative.

As for your last sentence, agree for the most part. But that doesn't really matter, just get good players, who cares where they are from. Missing on Hall and Llewellyn were as big as any in-state misses the last several years because we had a shot with those guys.

Agree on Biggie.

Painter locking up Biggie is a large reason he has won more B1G games than any other coach the past 3 seasons. Biggie was obviously a huge part of that for 2 seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT