ADVERTISEMENT

Recap of the Michigan Game

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
I always wait until I re-watch the game the next day before commenting:

1. Back Judge missed a huge Personal Foul call against Anthrop in the Endzone. Defender took four steps after the ball was pass #33 to hit him. Was it targeting is debatable as there was slight helmet to helmet contact but it was a late hit and deserved an obvious flag.

2. Both our targeting calls were warranted.

3. We had no running game with our top two rushers out and very little O-Line run OR pass blocking all game. The lack of blocking caused our D to be on the field way too long.

4. Bently's missed sack was an emotional killer and obviously hurt Purdue.

Despite all that we should or could have been up one or two scores if the flag is thrown and Bently makes the sack.

5. O line play against a quality D means Purdue has a lot of work remaining with that unit.

6. Coach had a perfect game plan first adjusting to two missing RB's and then having to roll out our QB's all game since we could not protect the pocket!

7. Time of possession due to the lack of a running game dictated the final score!

8. Two weeks to heal and get ready for Minny!

Proud of the Boilers...coaches, players and fans!

1. Back Judge missed a huge Personal Foul call against Anthrop in the Endzone. Defender took four steps after the ball was pass #33 to hit him. Was it targeting is debatable as there was slight helmet to helmet contact but it was a late hit and deserved an obvious flag.

3. We had no running game with our top two rushers out and very little O-Line run OR pass blocking all game. The lack of blocking caused our D to be on the field way too long.

Despite all that we should or could have been up one or two scores if the flag is thrown and Bently makes the sack.

5. O line play against a quality D means Purdue has a lot of work remaining with that unit.

6. Coach had a perfect game plan first adjusting to two missing RB's and then having to roll out our QB's all game since we could not protect the pocket!

7. Time of possession due to the lack of a running game dictated the final score!

Very objective. We just have to try to remember that weeks ago nobody thought we'd be any kind of threat in this game.

Let's hope these coaches were doing some major selling to guys who could potentially step in and at least play roles off the bench with good coaching

You missed the PI/Holding call in the first half. It was ruled uncatchable, but that was because the defender held the receiver so he couldn't get to the ball. Then, later, there was a pass that was easily thrown 20 yards behind the Michigan receiver and it was called.

As to the first targeting call, the player dropped/fell as he was being tackled. It would have been a perfectly legal hit otherwise. They have got to put in a rule that negates the call of the offensive player initiates the contact to the head by lowering his helmet. By the rules it was a hit above the shoulders, but it wasn't a punch and it wasn't the crown of the helmet. That should not have been targeting. It shouldn't even have been a penalty. The offensive player initiated the high hit by dropping. They need to immediately fix the rule.

Then, in the Penn state game, the kid just jumped over the defender that went low. Also, you could see Purdue players pulling their tackles and looked afraid of getting tossed for a hit. The calls are affecting the defenders. If it's truly about safety, prevent the offensive players from lowering their helmets.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11

You missed the PI/Holding call in the first half. It was ruled uncatchable, but that was because the defender held the receiver so he couldn't get to the ball. Then, later, there was a pass that was easily thrown 20 yards behind the Michigan receiver and it was called.

As to the first targeting call, the player dropped/fell as he was being tackled. It would have been a perfectly legal hit otherwise. They have got to put in a rule that negates the call of the offensive player initiates the contact to the head by lowering his helmet. By the rules it was a hit above the shoulders, but it wasn't a punch and it wasn't the crown of the helmet. That should not have been targeting. It shouldn't even have been a penalty. The offensive player initiated the high hit by dropping. They need to immediately fix the rule.

Then, in the Penn state game, the kid just jumped over the defender that went low. Also, you could see Purdue players pulling their tackles and looked afraid of getting tossed for a hit. The calls are affecting the defenders. If it's truly about safety, prevent the offensive players from lowering their helmets.

I agree that the rule needs to be modified regarding the offensive player lowering their helmet but imo most of the rule is fine.

Bentley launched himself upward to the shoulder/helmet area if you slow it down and look at it frame by frame as I did. He also went for a high hit on the missed sack so he needs to lower his target area on tackles.

Whether or not the the offensive player is falling or not it is the responsibility of the defender to alter his hit.

Replay just about any running or pass play in a game and one could flag holding or pass interference offensively or defensively so that is not going to happen. What I would like to see modified is on any play that IS reviewed obvious penalties or infractions would be called but since that would make the review time much, much longer I doubt that would ever happen!

Envision a game ending pass or run to end a game but an obvious illegal motion call being missed at the line of scrimmage by the receiver scoring...current rules would not be able to overturn the play!

I agree that the rule needs to be modified regarding the offensive player lowering their helmet but imo most of the rule is fine.

Bentley launched himself upward to the shoulder/helmet area if you slow it down and look at it frame by frame as I did. He also went for a high hit on the missed sack so he needs to lower his target area on tackles.

Whether or not the the offensive player is falling or not it is the responsibility of the defender to alter his hit.

Replay just about any running or pass play in a game and one could flag holding or pass interference offensively or defensively so that is not going to happen. What I would like to see modified is on any play that IS reviewed obvious penalties or infractions would be called but since that would make the review time much, much longer I doubt that would ever happen!

Envision a game ending pass or run to end a game but an obvious illegal motion call being missed at the line of scrimmage by the receiver scoring...current rules would not be able to overturn the play!

I have no problem with the targeting call on Bently. I called it as it happened. Crown of the helmet above the shoulder, and the offensive player didn't lower into it. It was obvious in live action and will get called every time. I didn't think it was a dirty hit at all, but is was against the rules. I also don't think it warranted being thrown out of the game and then missing the first half of the next game. Also, after that first targeting call, Purdue seemed more hesitant tackles. After the second targeting call, the game was over.

I will have to disagree with the defender having to alter his hit. It's hard to tackle somebody. Open field tackles are incredibly difficult. The offensive player can jump, spin, lower his head, and stiff arm. That's a lot for the tackler to anticipate. Example: In the UCLA game, the offensive player lowered his helmet after the UCLA player already started his tackle. He did it so quickly and there was absolutely no way the tackler would have adjusted his hit. They called targeting and the tackle was about knee high if the player was standing up. That is some outrageous BS.

There is no way you can expect the defense to only go for below the knee tackles. First of all, those can be career ending and career changing injuries if everything is at the knees. The waist is ideal. That should be the aiming point and it's the safest for everybody. Heads up tackling I can agree with, but Thieneman did have his head up. The only reason the offensive player got his head hit, was because he fell into the tackle, and got folded into a lawn chair as a result. There is no way Thieneman could have expected that. That was a football play, it got flagged, and he was ejected. Had the guy not dropped, it would have been perfectly legal and clean. That absolutely should not be a penalty and we will disagree 'til the cows come home on that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
one thing about the hits on the QB, is the linemen are coming with intentions of raising arms to block or interfere with the pass, they can't see what the QB is doing when coming in low and have no chance of blocking pass . I can see why they come in high.

True but just like in the NFL, if you make helmet or face contact with your hands too it can be called roughing the passer!

I have no problem with the targeting call on Bently. I called it as it happened. Crown of the helmet above the shoulder, and the offensive player didn't lower into it. It was obvious in live action and will get called every time. I didn't think it was a dirty hit at all, but is was against the rules. I also don't think it warranted being thrown out of the game and then missing the first half of the next game. Also, after that first targeting call, Purdue seemed more hesitant tackles. After the second targeting call, the game was over.

I will have to disagree with the defender having to alter his hit. It's hard to tackle somebody. Open field tackles are incredibly difficult. The offensive player can jump, spin, lower his head, and stiff arm. That's a lot for the tackler to anticipate. Example: In the UCLA game, the offensive player lowered his helmet after the UCLA player already started his tackle. He did it so quickly and there was absolutely no way the tackler would have adjusted his hit. They called targeting and the tackle was about knee high if the player was standing up. That is some outrageous BS.

There is no way you can expect the defense to only go for below the knee tackles. First of all, those can be career ending and career changing injuries if everything is at the knees. The waist is ideal. That should be the aiming point and it's the safest for everybody. Heads up tackling I can agree with, but Thieneman did have his head up. The only reason the offensive player got his head hit, was because he fell into the tackle, and got folded into a lawn chair as a result. There is no way Thieneman could have expected that. That was a football play, it got flagged, and he was ejected. Had the guy not dropped, it would have been perfectly legal and clean. That absolutely should not be a penalty and we will disagree 'til the cows come home on that one.

The way the rule is written the onus is on the defender unless the offensive player lowers his head. Like it or not that is the rule! No head to head contact!

Crown of the helmet for targeting. Thieneman didn't use the crown of his head. It was straight up. Bad call.
It isnt just the crown anymore

• Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

Reactions: 70boiler
It isnt just the crown anymore

• Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

The shoulder/chest hit the helmet because the offensive player dropped. He didn't attack or lead with any of those body parts. He was almost perfectly upright.

Regardless, that rule needs changed immediately. It doesn't account for incidental contact and doesn't adjust for the offensive players actions such as dropping their own helmet or lowering their body.

That hit shouldn't be a penalty. Period.

The shoulder/chest hit the helmet because the offensive player dropped. He didn't attack or lead with any of those body parts. He was almost perfectly upright.

Regardless, that rule needs changed immediately. It doesn't account for incidental contact and doesn't adjust for the offensive players actions such as dropping their own helmet or lowering their body.

That hit shouldn't be a penalty. Period.

IMO, given the current CTE/Concussion environment and the eventual suit (my guess) against NCAA for concussions, they are going to call everything and try to change the way the players play the game.

IMO, given the current CTE/Concussion environment and the eventual suit (my guess) against NCAA for concussions, they are going to call everything and try to change the way the players play the game.

I agree with this. According to emerging studies about football and hits to the head conducted by medical researchers, it doesn't take much to cause damage. Pretty scary. All levels of football will be forced to adjust and/or face never ending lawsuits.

Reactions: 70boiler

Then make it a penalty to drop your head as an offensive player. That is just as dangerous. And even if you want to keep the awful rule, adjust the ejection part. Keeping it illegal would cover the legal liability, suspending a player for the current game and first half of the next game if it's after the first half is ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT