ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue IU thread

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
End of first quarter 18-14 IU, the Hall of Calls is living up to its name, first 5 foul calls all against Purdue with 2 on Madison in less than 2 minutes and 2 on Terry in less than 6.

Refs up 41-30 over Purdue. I normally don't complain about the refs, and neither does Tim Newton, but some of these calls defy anything but a very biased crew working this game. Holmes only has 6 and still needs 11 to be IU's all time leading scorer, expect her to get fed the ball a lot in the second half.

72-46 after 3 quarters. Ellis 2 points, Madison 0-4 from the field with 4-4 fts, and Terry only 2 points and only 1 assist. Smith 0-1 Jones 0-2 with 5 assists and 4 TOs and both got lots of PT with the foul trouble on the starters..

95-62 IU , Holmes gets the record for IU, Stevenson, Caitlyn, and Swanson Purdue's only double digit scorers with Stevenson leading the way with 18, but only 1 rebound. Terry leads Purdue in rebounding and finished with 4 points, but only 2 assists. Jones finished with 5 assists, 5 TOs and 0-3 shooting for zero points. Ellis only 2 points, on 1-7 shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brya31
Purdue has all these old/experienced players, just not talented enough to compete with most Big Ten teams, time for new additions, expecting different results with the same bunch isn’t happening. No excuse to be losing games by 35 points, at least some of the youngsters seemingly did ok.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Negatives -

Jones probably had her worst game. Needs to tighten her dribble.

Madison and Ellis weren't much better and probably received too much PT in a blowout. Ellis seemed to constantly lose Scalia. My only guess is CKG wants them to reach their scoring milestones. Thought Mckenna could of taken some of their minutes.

Just a bunch of unforced turnovers again, compiled with being out of position on D which lead to open 3's. Some of that was because of doubling Holmes but other times we just got lost/caught on screens and didn't recover quickly enough.

Positives -

Swanson continues to show her sniping skills, even drove it in once for a bucket.

Stevenson will be an all conference player before she graduates. Love her toughness. Glad she's a boilermaker.

C.Harper was solid today.

Negatives -

Madison and Ellis weren't much better and probably received too much PT in a blowout. Ellis seemed to constantly lose Scalia. My only guess is CKG wants them to reach their scoring milestones. Thought Mckenna could of taken some of their minutes.

Just a bunch of unforced turnovers again, compiled with being out of position on D which lead to open 3's. Some of that was because of doubling Holmes but other times we just got lost/caught on screens and didn't recover quickly enough.

Positives -

Swanson continues to show her sniping skills, even drove it in once for a bucket.

Stevenson will be an all conference player before she graduates. Love her toughness. Glad she's a boilermaker.

The number of minutes that players play in blowouts is crazy to me, playing girls 30 minutes in 30-35 loses is silly, Coach must have absolutely no confidence in the bench (girls she brought in) instead she trots out Sr’s who aren’t getting it done 30 minutes.

The number of minutes that players play in blowouts is crazy to me, playing girls 30 minutes in 30-35 loses is silly, Coach must have absolutely no confidence in the bench (girls she brought in) instead she trots out Sr’s who aren’t getting it done 30 minutes.
Only Stevenson and Caitlyn got 30 or more minutes, and there is not a credible backup for either of them. I would not have minded Swanson and McKenna getting more minutes. McKenna finally started finding the bottom of the net going 2-2 from the field, but did not get another run after her good showing. I do not understand the staff's faith in Smith, she produces nothing far more often than contributes in games. The problem for me becomes if I don't trust Gearlds to put the best players on the floor, how can I trust her to develop the players to their best in practice? Once that trust is broken, she needs to pack her bags and move on as far as I am concerned..

As far as playing the seniors less and not having confidence in the freshmen.... they are freshmen, and half of them were unranked 3star recruits. They were expected to need a couple of years of development to be contributors. Who would you play instead of the current starters? Jones and Smith have shown they are not ready for starter roles, hell Smith doesn't seem ready for ANY minutes. I have supported Swanson getting more minutes as I feel she brings something no one else on the bench is bringing as a microwave kind of player unafraid to shoot early and often, but she is not a strong defender and not ready to start. Monson needs time, McKenna is only now starting to show a little scoring ability, and the sophmores are both pretty useless most games. So losing by 40 with the freshmen to Nebraska at our house instead of having a chance to win seems silly. Once we are mathematically eliminated for WNIT, then maybe just run out the white flag and play to lose with the underclassmen, but I think that would hurt us in recruiting for years down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerRingside
Anyone know the length of Gearlds’ contract?
Five years, but she will almost assuredly get an extension this summer because to not do that would handicap her recruiting, but you can hope they would negotiate a really low buy out as part of that extension.

Anyone know the length of Gearlds’ contract?
No idea, but I don't see her being let go anytime soon. College Womens Basketball isn't a money maker, so there's no pressure to get things rolling in gearlds first 3-4 years. I think most people like CKG and where the program is heading(this year excluded). I am a believer in her and the recruiting is pointing up. Outside of off the court issues, I wouldn't expect a new coach for the next 3-4 years even if we are mediocre/NIT type. Next two years will be a better gauge for where the program is going imo. By then, she'll have all of her own recruits, and they won't be freshmen. Talent is on the way.

No idea, but I don't see her being let go anytime soon. College Womens Basketball isn't a money maker, so there's no pressure to get things rolling in gearlds first 3-4 years. I think most people like CKG and where the program is heading(this year excluded). I am a believer in her and the recruiting is pointing up. Outside of off the court issues, I wouldn't expect a new coach for the next 3-4 years even if we are mediocre/NIT type. Next two years will be a better gauge for where the program is going imo. By then, she'll have all of her own recruits, and they won't be freshmen. Talent is on the way.
I have always said you have to give a new coach 5 years to adequately judge them. But next year is another likely losing season, so she really needs a strong bounce back in year 5 or she will start to lose the crowd following she has done a very good job developing so far.

Also if Bobinski cared one whit about women's basketball, Katie Gearlds would not be the coach, she was an easy hire to appease the fan base, not to try and field a winning program.

I have always said you have to give a new coach 5 years to adequately judge them. But next year is another likely losing season, so she really needs a strong bounce back in year 5 or she will start to lose the crowd following she has done a very good job developing so far.
Yeah I would agree with that, the frosh would be juniors that year, poole as a soph with two highly ranked frosh(Kira Reynolds and Avery Gordon), and possibly more. They should make the tourney that year or it'd definitely be a disappointment and CKG might start to lose the fan base as you mentioned. I know you're more down on next years team than I am and maybe it's just me being overly optimistic about the growth of this frosh class and amiyah/poole coming in, but I think we can fight for a ncaa berth. Without question, we need to land a portal post who can help. Doesn't need to be a superstar but someone who can hold their own and not hurt the team.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Yeah I would agree with that, the frosh would be juniors that year, poole as a soph with two highly ranked frosh(Kira Reynolds and Avery Gordon), and possibly more. They should make the tourney that year or it'd definitely be a disappointment and CKG might start to lose the fan base as you mentioned. I know you're more down on next years team than I am and maybe it's just me being overly optimistic about the growth of this frosh class and amiyah/poole coming in, but I think we can fight for a ncaa berth. Without question, we need to land a portal post who can help. Doesn't need to be a superstar but someone who can hold their own and not hurt the team.
A lot of teams are going to be looking hard for a post in the portal, including IU, MSU, PSU, OSU, and UMich just in the Big Ten. There are unlikely to be that many good posts in the portal, and I would rather take my lumps with Puryear and McCarthy next year so that in two years they are well seasoned and we know if they are going to be players or splinter pickers.

Also, I know I am in the minority, but I do not think the underclass point guards are going to replace Terry very well next year. She will leave with the record for best assist to turnover ratio for a Purdue player with 200 assists minimum by a HUGE margin. The record now is 1.68 to 1. Terry is 1.94 to 1 over her Purdue career. She is top 3 in the Big Ten and top 25 nationally in assists per game, and is far and away Purdue's best rebounder. Its going to take a lot of players to replace her, and I don't think we have the players now or incoming that can replace everything Terry does for this team that not enough people appreciate about her game. Ellis and Caitlyn's replacements will be there next year or two years, I am still not seeing a pure shooting guard coming in so it will have to be Monson and Swanson to pickup that guard scoring role with Jones getting some minutes in the off guard spot as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerRingside
A lot of teams are going to be looking hard for a post in the portal, including IU, MSU, PSU, OSU, and UMich just in the Big Ten. There are unlikely to be that many good posts in the portal, and I would rather take my lumps with Puryear and McCarthy next year so that in two years they are well seasoned and we know if they are going to be players or splinter pickers.

Also, I know I am in the minority, but I do not think the underclass point guards are going to replace Terry very well next year. She will leave with the record for best assist to turnover ratio for a Purdue player with 200 assists minimum by a HUGE margin. The record now is 1.8 to 1. Terry is 1.94 to 1 over her Purdue career. She is top 3 in the Big Ten and top 25 nationally in assists per game, and is far and away Purdue's best rebounder. Its going to take a lot of players to replace her, and I don't think we have the players now or incoming that can replace everything Terry does for this team that not enough people appreciate about her game. Ellis and Caitlyn's replacements will be there next year or two years, I am still not seeing a pure shooting guard coming in so it will have to be Monson and Swanson to pickup that guard scoring role with Jones getting some minutes in the off guard spot as well.
Yeah I don't mind getting minutes for one of the two incoming posts(don't think there will be enough minutes for both if we go into the portal) but CKG wants to win now, I don't see her relying on the two frosh posts and accepting another down year.

Yeah our 3 point shooting might not be much better next year, amiyah is more of a midrange shooter, poole will shoot from 3 unlike terry, but let's just hope the rest of wing players can improve from range.

Yeah I don't mind getting minutes for one of the two incoming posts(don't think there will be enough minutes for both if we go into the portal) but CKG wants to win now, I don't see her relying on the two frosh posts and accepting another down year.

Yeah our 3 point shooting might not be much better next year, amiyah is more of a midrange shooter, poole will shoot from 3 unlike terry, but let's just hope the rest of wing players can improve from range.
Depends on IF we can get a post from the portal, and IF they are better than the last two portal posts we got. I also don't like the idea of having 6 posts on the roster for however many years the portal transfer would have left.

Only Stevenson and Caitlyn got 30 or more minutes, and there is not a credible backup for either of them. I would not have minded Swanson and McKenna getting more minutes. McKenna finally started finding the bottom of the net going 2-2 from the field, but did not get another run after her good showing. I do not understand the staff's faith in Smith, she produces nothing far more often than contributes in games. The problem for me becomes if I don't trust Gearlds to put the best players on the floor, how can I trust her to develop the players to their best in practice? Once that trust is broken, she needs to pack her bags and move on as far as I am concerned..

As far as playing the seniors less and not having confidence in the freshmen.... they are freshmen, and half of them were unranked 3star recruits. They were expected to need a couple of years of development to be contributors. Who would you play instead of the current starters? Jones and Smith have shown they are not ready for starter roles, hell Smith doesn't seem ready for ANY minutes. I have supported Swanson getting more minutes as I feel she brings something no one else on the bench is bringing as a microwave kind of player unafraid to shoot early and often, but she is not a strong defender and not ready to start. Monson needs time, McKenna is only now starting to show a little scoring ability, and the sophmores are both pretty useless most games. So losing by 40 with the freshmen to Nebraska at our house instead of having a chance to win seems silly. Once we are mathematically eliminated for WNIT, then maybe just run out the white flag and play to lose with the underclassmen, but I think that would hurt us in recruiting for years down the road.
I’m sorry Michael, I’m not playing anyone over 30 minutes in a 35 point loss, those two played over 30, Terry and Layden 27 or so, that’s to many for me in a blowout, maybe girls like McKenna, Monson, Reynolds are banged up, that’s maybe a reason. I know this, ready for the Sr class to be done and over with. This is brutal, I was fooled, I thought this was a tourney team, way off with that one.

I’m sorry Michael, I’m not playing anyone over 30 minutes in a 35 point loss, those two played over 30, Terry and Layden 27 or so, that’s to many for me in a blowout, maybe girls like McKenna, Monson, Reynolds are banged up, that’s maybe a reason. I know this, ready for the Sr class to be done and over with. This is brutal, I was fooled, I thought this was a tourney team, way off with that one.
At what point do you suggest throwing in the towel then and giving up? Beginning of the 4th quarter and make it a 50 point loss as neither Mila nor Alaina could guard Holmes and the only bench players hitting baskets were Swanson and occasionally McKenna? Who do you think of the bench players beyond Swanson is showing they deserve more minutes in the time they do get?

At what point do you suggest throwing in the towel then and giving up? Beginning of the 4th quarter and make it a 50 point loss as neither Mila nor Alaina could guard Holmes and the only bench players hitting baskets were Swanson and occasionally McKenna? Who do you think of the bench players beyond Swanson is showing they deserve more minutes in the time they do get?
Not saying throw in the towel, saying not playing girls 28-30 minutes when down by 30 though. This is a bad team that’s season will be ending in a few weeks, play the reserves more minutes, if Coach has no confidence than they need to be over recruited. The portal needs to be used big time, this is Purdue, not some crap school, if Coach can’t bring in players than maybe it’s time to start thinking she might have been the wrong hire, it looks like recruiting is trending up which is good. If girls like Terry are going to be missed in likely a 5 win Big Ten season we have different views on things, time to get better players than the ones that will be leaving the program.

Not saying throw in the towel, saying not playing girls 28-30 minutes when down by 30 though. This is a bad team that’s season will be ending in a few weeks, play the reserves more minutes, if Coach has no confidence than they need to be over recruited. The portal needs to be used big time, this is Purdue, not some crap school, if Coach can’t bring in players than maybe it’s time to start thinking she might have been the wrong hire, it looks like recruiting is trending up which is good. If girls like Terry are going to be missed in likely a 5 win Big Ten season we have different views on things, time to get better players than the ones that will be leaving the program.
And how do you suggest an unknown NAIA coach with no connections, no reputation and mediocre results in her first three years goes out and brings in players that are instantly ready to make us an NCAA team? Bribes? Some other cheating inducement? Kidnapping? There is no short cut that gets us to the NCAA level next year legally. But KGs recruiting right now is well above most peoples expectations and you should definitely see results in years 5 and 6. SBobieski was very lazy in hiring Gearlds, but so far she is doing better than most expected from someone with very little experience. She has recruiting going the right directing, but if you knew a tenth as much about building a basketball team as your bluster wants us to believe you would know it takes time to build those connections and establish the relationships needed for good recruiting. You also continue to ignore the depth of talent in the women's game is significantly smaller than the men's game. But tell us what your master plan is for getting talent onto campus, since you think it's so very easy. And much more than "go to the portal"; on the women's side there are only a couple handfuls of great players in the portal each year, and they are looking at the top 20 teams for a chance to make a deep NCAA run, not a bottom half team in a weaker conference just hoping to improve enough to get into the play in round.

Negatives -

Positives -

Harper Sr. held her own. Swanson has a lot to offer. Once she gets going on defensive principles, I think she will get plenty of minutes. Stevenson is solid for a freshman. Fan of hers. Shows no fear. Ellis struggled as well. IU is always a hard game for Madison, for several reasons. Against tough competition she disappears. She’s no longer leading the Big Ten in 3’s because she simply can’t and won’t shoot. It’s exhausting. I have to give CKG credit for pulling her when she kept getting beat on defense. McKenna went 2-2 in just 4 minutes I believe? Good minutes but still not sold on her being a force in the Big Ten but do like that she hustles as best she can. Could be a decent role player.

Last edited:
And how do you suggest an unknown NAIA coach with no connections, no reputation and mediocre results in her first three years goes out and brings in players that are instantly ready to make us an NCAA team? Bribes? Some other cheating inducement? Kidnapping? There is no short cut that gets us to the NCAA level next year legally. But KGs recruiting right now is well above most peoples expectations and you should definitely see results in years 5 and 6. SBobieski was very lazy in hiring Gearlds, but so far she is doing better than most expected from someone with very little experience. She has recruiting going the right directing, but if you knew a tenth as much about building a basketball team as your bluster wants us to believe you would know it takes time to build those connections and establish the relationships needed for good recruiting. You also continue to ignore the depth of talent in the women's game is significantly smaller than the men's game. But tell us what your master plan is for getting talent onto campus, since you think it's so very easy. And much more than "go to the portal"; on the women's side there are only a couple handfuls of great players in the portal each year, and they are looking at the top 20 teams for a chance to make a deep NCAA run, not a bottom half team in a weaker conference just hoping to improve enough to get into the play in round.
She can get players, Kelly Komara has been on the circuit for years, I’m sorry, I have more hope in the Purdue brand than you do. It is what it is though, Purdue going to win another Big Ten title with the men, the women doesn’t mean much really. If a 4 win Big Ten women’s season where they lose by 35 to IU is more entertaining than a great men’s season more power to you!

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT