ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs NW and Refs.

I don't have much respect for NW jack@$$es who continue to haunt our board days after their team won a hard fought game against us, crowing about how great they are personally and bragging about how they've won 5 straight games against Purdue (3 of which were under Hazell), when Purdue owns NW 50-32-1 all-time.
Exactly. Going to another board is not my thing at all. But if you want to talk about the game, wish the other team luck, say good game and leave, I get it. Hanging around for days and being douchey? **** em.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Don’t know where you got this from. Many predictions do not have them worse than Purdue. NW isn’t supposed to be down this year at all. They return the great majority of their starters and have been tabbed by many pundits to be the biggest competition to Wisky in the BIG West.

Here's a few......I'm sure there are some that have NW ahead of Purdue. I don't know if it says much given how weak the Big Ten West is. But it's certainly no consensus that NW was predicted to be "better" than Purdue - I'd say it's basically even.

Sporting News:

Big Ten West predictions
1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Nebraska
4. Purdue
5. Northwestern
6. Minnesota
7. Illinois

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...ate-michigan-state/1jtzzafxwlup21sq3zoonpl3vj

Athlon Sports:

West Division

1 Wisconsin
2 Iowa
3 Purdue
4 Northwestern

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-2018-predictions

USA Today:

Northwestern 9th
Purdue 8th

https://thebiglead.com/2018/07/27/big-ten-football-ranking-2018-teams-worst-to-first/2/

247 Sports:

Northwestern 10th
Purdue 7th

https://247sports.com/ContentGaller...s-final-record-in-2018-116423004/#116423004_5

Here's a few......I'm sure there are some that have NW ahead of Purdue. I don't know if it says much given how weak the Big Ten West is. But it's certainly no consensus that NW was predicted to be "better" than Purdue - I'd say it's basically even.

Sporting News:

Big Ten West predictions
1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Nebraska
4. Purdue
5. Northwestern
6. Minnesota
7. Illinois

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...ate-michigan-state/1jtzzafxwlup21sq3zoonpl3vj

Athlon Sports:

West Division

1 Wisconsin
2 Iowa
3 Purdue
4 Northwestern

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-2018-predictions

USA Today:

Northwestern 9th
Purdue 8th

https://thebiglead.com/2018/07/27/big-ten-football-ranking-2018-teams-worst-to-first/2/

247 Sports:

Northwestern 10th
Purdue 7th

https://247sports.com/ContentGaller...s-final-record-in-2018-116423004/#116423004_5
You actually take Sporting News seriously when they list Nebraska third in the BIG West? That’s a real outlier.

You actually take Sporting News seriously when they list Nebraska third in the BIG West? That’s a real outlier.

I gave you 4 separate examples.

As for Nebraska, quite frankly....the Big Ten West is not impressive. Outside of Wisconsin, there's not much to write home about. Athlon, for example, has the second best team in the Big Ten West going 5-4 in conference play. That means 3rd place doesn't really need to even have a winning record in conference play...

I gave you 4 separate examples.

As for Nebraska, quite frankly....the Big Ten West is not impressive. Outside of Wisconsin, there's not much to write home about. Athlon, for example, has the second best team in the Big Ten West going 5-4 in conference play. That means 3rd place doesn't really need to even have a winning record in conference play...
Two of your examples had smeared projected “rankings” that included both divisions. Those are pretty much useless.

You really are scared of what he’s doing, aren’t you? Based on what he’s said recently, Brohm isn’t going anywhere else anytime soon. He likes Purdue, the facilities, the AD, the BoT, President Daniels... He has younger kids and doesn’t want to disrupt their schooling, etc. He’s happy where he is and has Purdue poised to become a powerful team in the BIG West. BTW, he likes being in the BIG West and he likes being in the BIG overall. Prestigious.

No. No I am not.

Whatever you say man. It's obvious you're nervous about it as that's why you keep coming back here to talk smack. Any comments on how/why Purdue has a better recruiting class than NW?

I keep coming back because I keep getting asked direct questions. And it’s fun to watch you guys get worked into a froth for little or no reason.

I don’t think Purdue’s class is that much better, if any. Recruiting rankings are largely garbage; in this day in age where tape of literally any prospect is just a few clicks away, I trust my eyes (and sometimes offer lists) more than star ratings. We would be dead last every single year if star ratings or class rankings were the leading indicator of a football program. But we aren’t. You know, the whole LOLLLL thing.

There are a lot more questionable takes in the Purdue class than Northwestern’s right now.

Last edited:
I keep coming back because I keep getting asked direct questions. And it’s fun to watch you guys get worked into a froth for little or no reason.

I don’t think Purdue’s class is that much better, if any. Recruiting rankings are largely garbage; in this day in age where rape of literally any prospect is just a few clicks away, I trust my eyes (and sometimes offer lists) more than star ratings. We would be dead last every single year if star ratings or class rankings were the leading indicator of a football program. But we aren’t. You know, the whole LOLLLL thing.

There are a lot more questionable takes in the Purdue class than Northwestern’s right now.
You're an idiot. Purdue has (4) 4* recruits in its class, NW has 0. Not only is Brohm a great recruiter, he can coach young players up. We are also sitting in good position with more 4* players - WR David Bell, WR Milton Wright, DE JJ Weaver, LB Cameron Williams plus 3* DT Isaiah Gibson

1) Marvin Grant (S), Detroit, MI 5.9 4* - 18 offers including Boston College, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Notre Dame - stud

2) George Karlaftis (DE), West Lafayette, IN 5.8 4* - 14 offers including Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Miami (FL), Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee, USC - stud

3) Steven Faucheux (DT), West Chester, OH 5.8 4* - 18 offers including Alabama, Boston College, Florida, Maryland, Nebraska, Penn State, Tennessee, West Virginia - stud

4) Mershawn Rice (WR/ATH), Reynoldsburg, OH 5.8 4* - 10 offers including IU, Kentucky, Syracuse, Pitt (early commit - had interest from Ohio State and Notre Dame - great hands

Then add for good measure
5) Dontay Hunter (DE), Westerville, OH 5.7 3* - 17 offers including Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Pitt, Tennessee, Virginia - had interest from Florida State, Texas A&M, Wisconsin - stud

6) TJ Sheffield (WR), Thompsons Station, TN 5.6 3* - 18 offers including Arkansas, Georgia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Ohio State, Penn State, Pitt, Stanford, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest - underrated, excellent speed

You're an idiot. Purdue has (4) 4* recruits in its class, NW has 0. Not only is Brohm a great recruiter, he can coach young players up. We are also sitting in good position with more 4* players - WR David Bell, WR Milton Wright, DE JJ Weaver, LB Cameron Williams plus 3* DT Isaiah Gibson

1) Marvin Grant (S), Detroit, MI 5.9 4* - 18 offers including Boston College, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Notre Dame - stud

2) George Karlaftis (DE), West Lafayette, IN 5.8 4* - 14 offers including Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Miami (FL), Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee, USC - stud

3) Steven Faucheux (DT), West Chester, OH 5.8 4* - 18 offers including Alabama, Boston College, Florida, Maryland, Nebraska, Penn State, Tennessee, West Virginia - stud

4) Mershawn Rice (WR/ATH), Reynoldsburg, OH 5.8 4* - 10 offers including IU, Kentucky, Syracuse, Pitt (early commit - had interest from Ohio State and Notre Dame - great hands

Then add for good measure
5) Dontay Hunter (DE), Westerville, OH 5.7 3* - 17 offers including Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Pitt, Tennessee, Virginia - had interest from Florida State, Texas A&M, Wisconsin - stud

6) TJ Sheffield (WR), Thompsons Station, TN 5.6 3* - 18 offers including Arkansas, Georgia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Ohio State, Penn State, Pitt, Stanford, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest - underrated, excellent speed

Again, star ratings mean jack shit to me. “Interest from” means even less.

If i were you, I would be more worried about the fact that your OL class is comprised entirely of a guy passed over by every other B1G team besides the dumpster fire in Champaign including NU (Monnot), an unathletic-looking MAC decommit (Holstege), and another MAC offer guy with a “C” grade from a preeminent Ohio recruiting service (Craig).

To blame the refs for a loss is to become an enabler. TO blame th4e refs for the loss is to condemn your team to failure. To blame the refs is to create excuses for the losses to come.

It's a team sport and the team has to be good enough to play as a team that is good enough to win.
Overall, I agree with your statements. Purdue did shoot itself in the foot too many times even with little mistakes that NW did not. We didn't play a clean enough game to claim victory.

I'm not an enabler, I'm a fan (fanatic). As a fan, I'm pissed that referees missed some blatant calls. Does it affect the overall outcome? In this case 14 pts came off those two direct non-calls that were clearly in the view of the side and back judge refs even the announcers alluded to both during the plays. Am I correct? That is a fact, not fiction. You are entitled to your opinion as am I. Maybe there are coach-able techniques that can keep us from getting pushed off the ball or tackled that I'm not aware of. Stronger and more forceful is one way thru strength & conditioning. Bigger and better athletes thru recruiting is another. That appears to be happening this year and in the 2019 class. I'm still of the opinion a 6-6 season is achievable and that is with a high ranking strength of schedule ranking of #2 in the nation. Bring em on! Go Boilers.

Overall, I agree with your statements. Purdue did shoot itself in the foot too many times even with little mistakes that NW did not. We didn't play a clean enough game to claim victory.

I'm not an enabler, I'm a fan (fanatic). As a fan, I'm pissed that referees missed some blatant calls. Does it affect the overall outcome? In this case 14 pts came off those two direct non-calls that were clearly in the view of the side and back judge refs even the announcers alluded to both during the plays. Am I correct? That is a fact, not fiction. You are entitled to your opinion as am I. Maybe there are coach-able techniques that can keep us from getting pushed off the ball or tackled that I'm not aware of. Stronger and more forceful is one way thru strength & conditioning. Bigger and better athletes thru recruiting is another. That appears to be happening this year and in the 2019 class. I'm still of the opinion a 6-6 season is achievable and that is with a high ranking strength of schedule ranking of #2 in the nation. Bring em on! Go Boilers.
Elimination of those mistakes...large or small...is in the ability of the staff to coach them or sit them. Unless what you're sitting them for is worse than they are. I still think PU will struggle this season, and will lose more than the win. While I'm "mellowing" on Brohm, I'm still not convinced Purdue got the best their money could buy.

Elimination of those mistakes...large or small...is in the ability of the staff to coach them or sit them. Unless what you're sitting them for is worse than they are. I still think PU will struggle this season, and will lose more than the win. While I'm "mellowing" on Brohm, I'm still not convinced Purdue got the best their money could buy.
Interesting point of view on coach choice. I’m quite happy with the choice personally.

This is asinine.

TD, you are normally insightful but I disagree with you here. Brohm inherited a train-wreck and did wonderfully last season. He lost a tough opener to a fairly good NW team. The refs were bad and the home team got the short end of the stick on the calls. I do not recall an equal number of bad/questionable calls going Purdue's way. The bad calls clearly impacted the game.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
TD, you are normally insightful but I disagree with you here. Brohm inherited a train-wreck and did wonderfully last season. He lost a tough opener to a fairly good NW team. The refs were bad and the home team got the short end of the stick on the calls. I do not recall an equal number of bad/questionable calls going Purdue's way. The bad calls clearly impacted the game.
Do you really believe those calls you speak of cost PU the game, or was it the dumb plays by a couple of PU players. Are there times a ref can influence a game...sure, but I really don't believe they did enough to cause a loss.

How's the Brohm rebuild going?

I thought when we beat Purdue that we were fortunate to get past a rising team. I felt good about it.

After this weekend's results, I'm sorry to say I was wrong. Now, I know Duke is a lot better than us, and we beat a Purdue team that couldn't beat EMU. The truth is that we both suck.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT