ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs NW and Refs.

Blaming the refs is a sign of weakness.
F you asshole! You know that sob ref f’d up that offensive pass interference call which gave NW great position for a TD.
Congrats NW. Purdue gifted NW 21 points in the 1st half and you guys escaped with the W. Give NW credit in being disciplined vs our team finding ways to shoot themselves in the foot at several key moments.

Says the guy whose team benefited the most
They weren't that bad. Purdue benefited from some bad calls as well.

I have no dog in this race and was actually pulling for Purdue. Purdue had a lot of undisciplined plays (especially that last call). They certainly got screwed on a few as well but most calls were fine. The NW "fumble" for example was clearly never possessed. I will say NW definitely benefited the most from the officials but that's how it works in every game. Someone is going to get the benefit. I don't recall any game changing bad calls or non-calls that won the game for NW that Purdue didn't have the ability to change otherwise. Purdue should have won had they played smarter and came out ready on defense but lost the turnover battle badly and got off to a slow start on D.

F you asshole! You know that sob ref f’d up that offensive pass interference call which gave NW great position for a TD.
Congrats NW. Purdue gifted NW 21 points in the 1st half and you guys escaped with the W. Give NW credit in being disciplined vs our team finding ways to shoot themselves in the foot at several key moments.

Does “gifted” mean “our starting QB made some god awful throws?”

Turnovers killed us, the non call offensive pass interference setting up their TD in 1st half was the difference along with our lack of discipline and multiple mental mistakes for penalties.

Reactions: neckster87
First interception Sindelar threw was clearly pass interference as Zico got tackled. On that long pass to Skworonek, he pushed off and it didn’t get called. Huge swings on both of those plays.

They weren't that bad. Purdue benefited from some bad calls as well.

I have no dog in this race and was actually pulling for Purdue. Purdue had a lot of undisciplined plays (especially that last call). They certainly got screwed on a few as well but most calls were fine. The NW "fumble" for example was clearly never possessed. I will say NW definitely benefited the most from the officials but that's how it works in every game. Someone is going to get the benefit. I don't recall any game changing bad calls or non-calls that won the game for NW that Purdue didn't have the ability to change otherwise. Purdue should have won had they played smarter and came out ready on defense but lost the turnover battle badly and got off to a slow start on D.

The missed offensive pass interference call would certainly categorize as game changing missed call

Well, have you noticed the fact that we did not get to the quarterback more than once the whole game? We are pretty weak so stop telling us not to rip the refs. LOL

“We suck so don’t blame the refs!” That’s really the angle you wanna take?

First interception Sindelar threw was clearly pass interference as Zico got tackled. On that long pass to Skworonek, he pushed off and it didn’t get called. Huge swings on both of those plays.
You said it.But Neal really blew it at the end.Oh,well,eleven games to go.

Work to do
Surprised by the lack of discipline
I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the refs get reviewed!
Blateny missed plays horrible job officials

As the Coach implied our lines got handled in the first half and our tackling was abhorrent. Non call on the first drive interception sucked the life out of our team for awhile but we did recover to tie the game in the first quarter. I expected our offensive line to play much better than they did and their play will be an obvious area to watch and improve on during the rest of the year. Halftime adjustments from both teams made it quite a different style of game in the 2nd half and until the penalty we had our chance to overcome the three Int’s.

Takeaways from the game, splitting time with two QB’s in practice still doesn’t work. O-line has to make great strides fast to allow the team to progress. Despite the youth and inexperience, the D held their own in the 2nd half and my bet is, without many injuries, will get better fast.

What we will see, coming up: switching to Blough as #1 QB will allow a shorter, quicker passing game, letting him run on the read option and scrambling to avoid the weakness in the O line for awhile. He will probably get the run at QB until he has a similar bad quarter or half. Establishing a running game early in the next few games with two backs. JUST MY HUNCH. Guess or opinion!

So Neal wasn't trying to strip the ball? I thought Neal played well, will not fault him for the penalty. Purdue didn't get any calls , I wonder what the refs were watching on the interception and the pass where Purdue defender got pushed away , both on same end of field, maybe same ref.

Last edited:
So Neal wasn't trying to strip the ball? I thought Neal played well, will not fault him for the penalty. Purdue didn't get any calls , I wonder what the refs were watching on the interception and the pass where Purdue defender got pushed away , both on same end of field, maybe same ref.
You make a good point. Not throwing the 2nd Offensive pass interference was a blatant non-call. That particular referee was in position, could see it, and buried the flag deeper in the pocket. Speaking of pocket...was this referee on the take? Gambling problems? It really makes one wonder. That is how bad that non-call was for the Side judge. For that matter even the Field judge should have been able to see it to throw the flag. They are deep in the secondary as well.
Now, do not get me wrong. Purdue lost that game with 3 Int. and stupid mental mistakes with L. Neal just not using his head. Purdue did not deserve to win with that performance against NW who is much more disciplined than we were.
We are getting better talent, now it is time to eliminate errors which beat ourselves.

Of course I'm not happy about the refs. But thats not why Purdue lost. Despite our errors and terrible penalties we still had a chance to win the game- which is promising going forward.

The NW DLine beat our OLine most of the night, either stopping the run or getting pressure on our QB. That led to us abandoning the ground game for a LONG period of time. It also led to Sindelar making several REALLY poor decisions...he literally just threw the ball up for grabs. Either throw the ball away or take the sack FFS. Those are things you learn as a freshman, or you learn in HS. You can never make that type of a bonehead play as a junior- yet he did it TWICE in one half. Only 1 of his INTs was acceptable, the NW player made a great diving play.

The defense made very good 2nd half adjustments and looked the part after the poor 1st quarter. They really played well for about 2.5-3 quarters. That is promising going forward. NW is the better team on paper- more experienced, more returning starters, etc. etc. Yet our young D shut them down 2nd half and gave our offense a chance.

Another positive moving forward for Purdue... Northwestern imo was easily the toughest game we play until Ohio State. After watching us compete last night, we have a great chance to win our next 5 games. All our errors were self imposed (penalties/hail mary INTs).

Boiler Up!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

No I really don't think Neal was trying to strip the ball at that point. The whistle had clearly blown, although you could argue it could have been blown earlier when Larkin's progress was stopped. It was just flat-out a bone-headed play. Herbie had it right that Brohm was jawing at the refs out of frustration, but I'm sure he knew it was the right call. There's no place for that kind of rough play after the whistle.

"Same end of the field" means nothing regarding ref placement. They flip sides just like the teams do. It probably wasn't the same ref as the NW pick was in the middle of the field and the OPI was on the sideline.

I think the NW on the jump ball where Zico got knocked down was not PI. Zico was not going to make the catch. He was double-covered and the pass was over his head. The only thing he could have maybe done was knock down the DB and committed OPI himself.

No I really don't think Neal was trying to strip the ball at that point. The whistle had clearly blown, although you could argue it could have been blown earlier when Larkin's progress was stopped. It was just flat-out a bone-headed play. Herbie had it right that Brohm was jawing at the refs out of frustration, but I'm sure he knew it was the right call. There's no place for that kind of rough play after the whistle.

"Same end of the field" means nothing regarding ref placement. They flip sides just like the teams do. It probably wasn't the same ref as the NW pick was in the middle of the field and the OPI was on the sideline.

I think the NW on the jump ball where Zico got knocked down was not PI. Zico was not going to make the catch. He was double-covered and the pass was over his head. The only thing he could have maybe done was knock down the DB and committed OPI himself.
watching the replay , Zico got tackled, so there was no way he was going to get to the ball, i would have to watch it again to see for sure .

Reactions: mediaexpert
watching the replay , Zico got tackled, so there was no way he was going to get to the ball, i would have to watch it again to see for sure .
I agree. He should have had the opportunity to jump for the catch. As it was, he was knocked down BEFORE the pass arrived. It should have been PI, right there, right then. Badly blown call. S

ort of bookended by the OPI missed call on NW later that eventually resulted in their touchdown.

I have a group text with two buddies (one auburn fan, one Georgia fan) and we always watch each other’s teams games if possible. They are ripping the refs right now.

I know a UGA fan that is still ripping B1G refs after last January's UGA/ALA game; so I'm not surprised to still read of UGA and Auburn fans ripping B1G officials.

Yes. We are, in fact, better than you. This year, anyway. Good luck the rest of the way! You're a very good team!
For all the hype about your D it didn’t look that solid last night. Gave up over 200 yards rushing and 472 yards total. You guys had 21 points off of 3 picks. In the second half, NW didn’t look like the better team. They looked like the luckier team.

For all the hype about your D it didn’t look that solid last night. Gave up over 200 yards rushing and 472 yards total. You guys had 21 points off of 3 picks. In the second half, NW didn’t look like the better team. They looked like the luckier team.

Interceptions are not luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT