ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. No. 2 Indiana Discussion Thread

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Katie Gearlds and Purdue travel down to Bloomington to take on No. 2 Indiana this afternoon. Tip at Noon on Big Ten Network.

Boilermakers looking to defeat Indiana for the first time in 9 tries.

A win would give Purdue its first 9 win Big Ten slate since 2017-18.

Senior Lasha Petree is just 12 points away from eclipsing the 2,000 career points mark.

Reactions: RBryant311
It’s weird that even in blowouts Potts and Stoddard never get in. Are they that raw where they can’t play a few minutes in blowouts? 25 point game with 2 minutes left, let them get a few minutes.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
It’s weird that even in blowouts Potts and Stoddard never get in. Are they that raw where they can’t play a few minutes in blowouts? 25 point game with 2 minutes left, let them get a few minutes.
Have to remember, those two aren’t Gearlds’ players. Basically we’re inherited from Versyp. I think there is a high likelihood one or both of them transfer after the season.

Reactions: DocRon
Have to remember, those two aren’t Gearlds’ players. Basically we’re inherited from Versyp. I think there is a high likelihood one or both of them transfer after the season.
I don’t think Stoddard will, I heard she loves it at Purdue, I guess if she’s not wanted she’ll leave but that’s not the impression I’ve got. I mean, play the girls a few minutes in blowouts, both came in as 4 star recruits.

Got to watch the 1st half, Purdue looked pretty decent more often than not. With fewer Turnovers, missed opportunities, etc they could have been even closer.
Sounds like second half didn’t go so well.

IU is really - really - good. They will represent the Big 10 well in NCAA’s and I hope they make the FF. Just don’t want them to get a natty and “tie” Purdue who is the only B10 womens team to do that.

I’m thrilled that both Purdue-IU games were sellouts at their respective arenas. Massive support for both programs! Love it

Stoddard was a Versyp holdover- but not Potts. Potts was added late to the class - believe she de-committed from Mizzou, and was the 1st HS recruit KG landed. She is 100% hers and has a good relationship with her Dad - who is a coach.

Stoddard was a Versyp holdover- but not Potts. Potts was added late to the class - believe she de-committed from Mizzou, and was the 1st HS recruit KG landed. She is 100% hers and has a good relationship with her Dad - who is a coach.
I know Stoddard’s family well, haven’t talked to them in about a month, I know early on that they liked the Coaching staff, Stoddard was told this year was going to be tough to get on the court, they expect next year to be different, I doubt Woltman returns. It’s odd these two don’t even get mop up minutes in a blowout, I’m sorry, in a 25 point game with 2 minutes left let these girls get some court time, made no sense to have all the starters in when IU cleared the bench. Stoddard was a top 100 player, 4 year starter on a State Title team, maybe she’s banged up, otherwise I’m sorry, I don’t get why she or Potts doesn’t get in in routs.

Dub, anyway you can see if these two are redshirting? Maybe that’s a possibility?

Heard from a reliable source that Stoddard is redshirting. Makes sense now, not sure about Potts

I think the rule changed a couple of years ago that you could play something like 6 games and still redshirt. Like football. When it comes to Potts...Im still not convinced she is completely a CKG recruit. CSV surely had some say in recruiting until the end... Why else would CKG keep those two if she was not going to play them.

Maybe thhose 2 are projects but from what I have seen in games and warmups...I dont know if they can play at the level CKG wants to take the team at the top of the BIG 10. Probably would have been good fits for CSV teams.

I think the rule changed a couple of years ago that you could play something like 6 games and still redshirt. Like football. When it comes to Potts...Im still not convinced she is completely a CKG recruit. CSV surely had some say in recruiting until the end... Why else would CKG keep those two if she was not going to play them.

Maybe thhose 2 are projects but from what I have seen in games and warmups...I dont know if they can play at the level CKG wants to take the team at the top of the BIG 10. Probably would have been good fits for CSV teams.
I think there have been proposals to change the redshirt rule in NCAA basketball but I can find nothing that says that has actually happened. So I believe if players spend even a few seconds on the court during a game, it uses up one year of eligibility.

On our MBB team Heide and Berg are redshirting and have not been on the court at all. I don't think it is any different for the women. So it would appear Stoddard and Potts have used up one year of their eligibility, which would seem like a mistake.

I think there have been proposals to change the redshirt rule in NCAA basketball but I can find nothing that says that has actually happened. So I believe if players spend even a few seconds on the court during a game, it uses up one year of eligibility.

On our MBB team Heide and Berg are redshirting and have not been on the court at all. I don't think it is any different for the women. So it would appear Stoddard and Potts have used up one year of their eligibility, which would seem like a mistake.
Doc, my source is pretty reliable on the Stoddard redshirt, maybe with the girls game it’s different, hopefully, Dub who does a great job can verify it though. It honestly makes sense, there has to be a reason in a 25 point game why these girls aren’t getting a few minutes at the least.

Doc, my source is pretty reliable on the Stoddard redshirt, maybe with the girls game it’s different, hopefully, Dub who does a great job can verify it though. It honestly makes sense, there has to be a reason in a 25 point game why these girls aren’t getting a few minutes at the least.
If a player appears in even one game they cannot reshirt unless they take a medical redshirt after a season ending injury.

Additionally that would make the incoming class way too large and throw recruiting off track for years.

If a player appears in even one game they cannot reshirt unless they take a medical redshirt after a season ending injury.

Additionally that would make the incoming class way too large and throw recruiting off track for years.
Maybe there’s an injury, my source is solid on this, trust me. Girls with 15 ships is much easier to manipulate than the men with only 13.

Maybe there’s an injury, my source is solid on this, trust me. Girls with 15 ships is much easier to manipulate than the men with only 13.
If she's dressing for games and going through warm ups, she cannot redshirt for a season ending injury and if Purdue tries we can get sanctioned for cheating

If she's dressing for games and going through warm ups, she cannot redshirt for a season ending injury and if Purdue tries we can get sanctioned for cheating
I go to the men’s games, Purdue’s redshirts go thru the warmups in uniform.

I go to the men’s games, Purdue’s redshirts go thru the warmups in uniform.
They haven't played any minutes... Stoddard has, so she is ineligible to redshirt except for the medical redshirt exception. For Stoddard to medically redshirt she has to be physically unable to play due to a season ending injury. That is obviously not the case of she is going through warmups.

They haven't played any minutes... Stoddard has, so she is ineligible to redshirt except for the medical redshirt exception. For Stoddard to medically redshirt she has to be physically unable to play due to a season ending injury. That is obviously not the case of she is going through warmups.
I have no idea if she’s going thru warmups, I don’t see pregames. Like I said, my source is as solid as there is, saying she doesn’t play because she’s redshirting and she’ll be a Redshirt Frosh next year. Maybe with Covid the rules were changed a bit, no clue.

I have no idea if she’s going thru warmups, I don’t see pregames. Like I said, my source is as solid as there is, saying she doesn’t play because she’s redshirting and she’ll be a Redshirt Frosh next year. Maybe with Covid the rules were changed a bit, no clue.
Not according to the NCAA website, she is ineligible to redshirt unless she has had a serious season ending injury. This is different than when KG was a player and its entirely possible that the coaches are not aware of the rules and are giving bad intel to Stoddard. But unless she has torn up a knee or some such major injury, she is not redshirting by the rules in place today. They are talking about going back to allowing players to play in the first 4-8 games and then decide to redshirt as it used to be, but even then Stoddard would be inelligible as she played in a game or two in early January. I also think it would be a huge mistake for KG to tie up nearly half her available scholarships in one class with 7 of 15 players all freshmen at the same time.

This was discussed in January and it was determined then that Potts and Stoddard had burned a year of eligibility at that point.

I think purduedavie is certain his sources are valid but I think Michael is correct about the rules. It is hard to reconcile the difference. But to imagine the Purdue’s WBB immediate staff and all their supplemental personnel are unaware of the current redshirting rule is not believable. I guess we will see how this all turns out as we go into next season.

I agree with Michael on this one. Unless there are injuries (that no one knows about) involved. Both will be Sophomores next year.

I also agree with what a few others have suggested. Why not give them some minutes in games where the outcome has already been decided?

DubJ posted earlier he would check into the status of Stoddard (and hopefully Potts) and report back. Assuming he is able to (a) get the info, and (b) publicize it, I hope we’ll all know soon enough what the current situation is.
Agree with the board’s consensus that, if not RS’d, they should see the floor for at least mop up minutes. Baffling to me that they don’t. Makes no sense to my pea brain here…🤓

I think purduedavie is certain his sources are valid but I think Michael is correct about the rules. It is hard to reconcile the difference. But to imagine the Purdue’s WBB immediate staff and all their supplemental personnel are unaware of the current redshirting rule is not believable. I guess we will see how this all turns out as we go into next season.
I would never lie about a source, mine is as solid as can be, you’re correct, maybe they’re getting bad intel, he told me in person the other day definite redshirt going on. Perhaps there’s an injury, wasn’t told that though. Let’s be honest Doc, there’s been 25 point games, she would get a few minutes I would think. Last two games are perfect examples, both were like 25 point outcomes late in the game, makes no sense to not play her at least a few minutes.

I would never lie about a source, mine is as solid as can be, you’re It correct, maybe they’re getting bad intel, he told me in person the other day definite redshirt going on. Perhaps there’s an injury, wasn’t told that though. Let’s be honest Doc, there’s been 25 point games, she would get a few minutes I would think. Last two games are perfect examples, both were like 25 point outcomes late in the game, makes no sense to not play her at least a few minutes.
It would not be the first time Purdue wbb was in error about the redshirt rules. Monique Langston wanted to redshirt her senior year because she was in a five year degree program, but played in two games over what was then the limit, and that was with Curry as HC who had over a decade of D1 coaching experience at the time.

Always a head scratcher when I find myself agreeing with Michael but im almost certain he's right. My son was a manager under CSV and he thought Stoddard and Pots used a year when I asked him.

I recall Tim Newton asking about Stoddard throughout the year on the radio show and im certain redshirt was not mentioned.

Watching Stoddard after games greet kids who stick around is fun to see I just don't see her being a factor at this level and the level CKG talks about wanting to go.

Davie --- maybe your source is trying to save face a little bit but I think she will head to the portal and find a home at a more suitable level. Not calling you a liar at all but maybe the source's source is off.

Always a head scratcher when I find myself agreeing with Michael but im almost certain he's right. My son was a manager under CSV and he thought Stoddard and Pots used a year when I asked him.

I recall Tim Newton asking about Stoddard throughout the year on the radio show and im certain redshirt was not mentioned.

Watching Stoddard after games greet kids who stick around is fun to see I just don't see her being a factor at this level and the level CKG talks about wanting to go.

Davie --- maybe your source is trying to save face a little bit but I think she will head to the portal and find a home at a more suitable level. Not calling you a liar at all but maybe the source's source is off.
You might be correct, the source is good as gold, however, maybe it is bad intel, I can buy that. We’ll find out soon enough, with the transfer portal, players playing 7 years, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if they altered the redshirt rule a little.

You might be correct, the source is good as gold, however, maybe it is bad intel, I can buy that. We’ll find out soon enough, with the transfer portal, players playing 7 years, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if they altered the redshirt rule a little.

The Covid year is great for the kids who were affected - but awful for the kids coming out of high school - it's really not fair to them that they are joining teams with kids who have already played 4-5 even 6 years and are obviously going to beat them out for PT. The NCAA really should be lenient on RS situations for these kids. They didn't ask for this situation.

Also I'm taking career stat accomplishments - 2K points and all-time records - with a grain of salt now. Many of these kids are getting 20+ more games than the players prior to set these "records"

The Covid year is great for the kids who were affected - but awful for the kids coming out of high school - it's really not fair to them that they are joining teams with kids who have already played 4-5 even 6 years and are obviously going to beat them out for PT. The NCAA really should be lenient on RS situations for these kids. They didn't ask for this situation.

Also I'm taking career stat accomplishments - 2K points and all-time records - with a grain of salt now. Many of these kids are getting 20+ more games than the players prior to set these "records"
Yes, I agree about being a little lenient, some of the incoming Frosh aren’t getting minutes because 5th/6th year players are still around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT