ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State vs. Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Are any games important enough to risk injury to a player? What are we really worried about here? Are we concerned about the player's health, or the fan's desire to advance in the tournament?
Both. Had this happened @Wisconsin when the B10 lead was at stake I’d say the same thing. That game felt crucial. Still wouldn’t have been worth injuring either player. You act as if I’m saying don’t play them at all in the game to begin with. After they are both Injured and both aren’t even playing particularly great (very possibly due to the injury) why do you let it potentially become worse? If either had walked it off and continued playing at the same level? Sure

Smith was on the ground for a while, and left. Was immediately put back in, and was having trouble on defense. Let's say he tweeked anything in his leg, do we want to overexert it before we get a diagnosis? He clearly wasnt in the locker room long enough to be diagnosed.
Do you call yourself Dr. 427?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
You knkw what Im saying.

We can easily turn into a team that goes 2 for 25 from 3 again and we dont have the other tools to pivot... like driving to the basket and finishing and getting to the line outside of edey. We dont have a wing that can iso and create.. all the things needed in the tourney.

We are a team that relies on more variables than others IMO
Purdue shot below 25% from three 11 times last year. They've shot less than 25% from three only once this season. Why am I not surprised you can't see the difference?

Last edited:
Both. Had this happened @Wisconsin when the B10 lead was at stake I’d say the same thing. That game felt crucial. Still wouldn’t have been worth injuring either player. You act as if I’m saying don’t play them at all in the game to begin with. After they are both Injured and both aren’t even playing particularly great (very possibly due to the injury) why do you let it potentially become worse? If either had walked it off and continued playing at the same level? Sure
Edey explained it after the game. The the players and coaches, every game is crucial. It's what makes them champions.

In any sport, the coach asks a player if he/she is good to go after an potential injury (unless, of course, they are carried off the court or field). If a doctor or trainer has checked the injury and he and the player both say they are good to go, no coach is going to contradict them.
Well, I stated my view, but I care about the players reaching their goals in front of them. It is not about me. I am owed nothing and don't know more than the coaches, trainers and the players themselves about dictating to them what their goals should be like winning this one is important and that one isn't even if they think it is.

Its always someone on this team that cant make fts each game. Truly unreal

Can’t miss this many free throws

I hear you, and Zach Edey did miss three front ends I think (the two in the 2nd half were @ 52-47 and 54-47.....those really hurt).

Now - with that, I also like to look at the last 2/3 minutes of a game. Purdue went 6/8 (ZE - 2/2. LJ - 2/4, and MG - 2/2 to effectively seal it).... 9/11 first half was good.

So....silver lining.....maybe.....haha.

I usually don't get into the game thread because I'm focused too much on the game to type. But what I do is go back to the last couple of pages, effectively the post-game thread. Much more rationale I'm sure.
I may at half and read them all later. I can't post and watch either

Do you call yourself Dr. 427?
After the game Painter just said, Braden was dealing with a calf injury that hurt his aggressiveness. It’s one of those things that can be better the next day, or you get progressively worse. Knowing that information, you think it’s justifiable to throw him out there 1 week before the NCAAT? If you do, fine, I respectfully and harshly disagree.

As my son-in-law law is an AT, would have been nice to hear from athletic trainer about the Smith injury.

First I thought AT response time was slow. Additionally, I thought Smith wasn't in locker room long enough for a diagnostic?

Hope ATs are all over the follow up treatment prost game. Of course after the beating the whole team took, the AT staff should be plenty busy.

Anyway, hope some reporter is curious enough to ask a few questions.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I hear you, and Zach Edey did miss three front ends I think (the two in the 2nd half were @ 52-47 and 54-47.....those really hurt).

Now - with that, I also like to look at the last 2/3 minutes of a game. Purdue went 6/8 (ZE - 2/2. LJ - 2/4, and MG - 2/2 to effectively seal it).... 9/11 first half was good.

So....silver lining.....maybe.....haha.
Kim had already heard me mention how important it was for Zach to hit his Fts or he was going to be at the line a lot. Lance missing didn't help even though I mentioned we needed at least one and were in double bonus and when Mason was fouled I said that was it. She said, don't say that! I said Kim...he is from New Castle...they don't miss FTs.

Kim had already heard me mention how important it was for Zach to hit his Fts or he was going to be at the line a lot. Lance missing didn't help even though I mentioned we needed at least one and were in double bonus and when Mason was fouled I said that was it. She said, don't say that! I said Kim...he is from New Castle...they don't miss FTs.

TJ pulling the Alex Reiger and tempting fate....haha.

65f4aac7749f1392883954.gif

After the game Painter just said, Braden was dealing with a calf injury that hurt his aggressiveness. It’s one of those things that can be better the next day, or you get progressively worse. Knowing that information, you think it’s justifiable to throw him out there 1 week before the NCAAT? If you do, fine, I respectfully and harshly disagree.
As Herb Brooks said in 1980, "Can he hurt it worse?"

Are you a doctor?

As Herb Brooks said in 1980, "Can he hurt it worse?"

Are you a doctor?
Did our starting point guard get evaluated by one before he was put back in the game? And yeah, you can make a calf injury worse, you don’t need a degree for that one.

This is 2024 NCAA basketball. Not 1980 Olympic hockey. And if it we want it to be 1980 Purdue basketball, we need our starting point guard.

Did our starting point guard get evaluated by one before he was put back in the game? And yeah, you can make a calf injury worse, you don’t need a degree for that one.

This is 2024 NCAA basketball. Not 1980 Olympic hockey. And if it we want it to be 1980 Purdue basketball, we need our starting point guard.
He wasn't evaluated by a doctor, but I trust our Athletic Training staff to make the correct judgement.

I do not know if you can make that injury worse, because we really don't know what the injury is, do we? See point above.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
He wasn't evaluated by a doctor, but I trust our Athletic Training staff to make the correct judgement.

I do not know if you can make that injury worse, because we really don't know what the injury is, do we? See point above.
And in Minny some fans thought Braden was faking it. You just can’t make this stuff up.

It's really not an outrageous opinion for someone to think that it wasn't worth putting him back into this game if it in any way jeapordizes next week and beyond.

Agree. Ok to be concerned. Ok to ask questions.

Hope the AT staff are asked some questions about this as it looked bad....and seemed to be handled quickly for as bad as it looked. Glad it wasn't as bad as it looked. But still worth some questions.

Reactions: Boilermaker427
It's really not an outrageous opinion for someone to think that it wasn't worth putting him back into this game if it in any way jeapordizes next week and beyond.
True, but I see that as a mischaracterization of what happened. Braden was hurt. Braden walked off putting some weight on his leg. Braden was seen by the trainer that has probably worked with more sports related injuries than a random doctor. The trainer had no issues. Braden wanted to play. It "appears" Matt was talking to him and I'm guessing asking if he can go...not wanting to jeopardize the other player's desire with a player that couldn't go. Braden was laughing and wanted to play and so Matt put him in and Purdue won.

At Minny there were Purdue fans questioning if Braden was faking it. Just for the record Braden played with a fracture in his foot for 16 months...the kid is tough and wants to win. If he doesn't play and thinks he can and Purdue gets beat...not only Braden, but the rest of the team are not happy campers.

It may be hard to do, but trying to see things through their perspective rather than an outsider many times requires a different focus. Just as a FYI Dustin is having a beer right now with a Dr that asked if he knew me. I told him the Dr has known me forever and his wife was my older sister's best friend in high school. Small world...no idea the Dr was up there. ;)

True, but I see that as a mischaracterization of what happened. Braden was hurt. Braden walked off putting some weight on his leg. Braden was seen by the trainer that has probably worked with more sports related injuries than a random doctor. The trainer had no issues. Braden wanted to play. It "appears" Matt was talking to him and I'm guessing asking if he can go...not wanting to jeopardize the other player's desire with a player that couldn't go. Braden was laughing and wanted to play and so Matt put him in and Purdue won.

At Minny there were Purdue fans questioning if Braden was faking it. Just for the record Braden played with a fracture in his foot for 16 months...the kid is tough and wants to win. If he doesn't play and thinks he can and Purdue gets beat...not only Braden, but the rest of the team are not happy campers.

It may be hard to do, but trying to see things through their perspective rather than an outsider many times requires a different focus. Just as a FYI Dustin is having a beer right now with a Dr that asked if he knew me. I told him the Dr has known me forever and his wife was my older sister's best friend in high school. Small world...no idea the Dr was up there. ;)
Fact: Braden left the game

Fact: Braden returned and was not even close to 100%

Fact: there is a real possibility the injury could have been aggravated by returning

Fact: Braden is the WORST injury we could take. TKR at the 5 wouldn’t be worse than LJ at PG.

There could be a debate back and forth if the injury was serious enough to hold him out of the game

It’s not a mischaracterization that he was playing injured and less effective and it could have easily ruined the season

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz

Fact: there is a real possibility the injury could have been aggravated by returning

Fact: Braden is the WORST injury we could take. TKR at the 5 wouldn’t be worse than LJ at PG.

There could be a debate back and forth if the injury was serious enough to hold him out of the game

It’s not a mischaracterization that he was playing injured and less effective and it could have easily ruined the season
None of that has anything to do whether he should play or not. Others have tried to tell you as much. Keep your opinion it is fine. Discussing such farther is meaningless and I have no issue with you holding your opinion. I disagree. Matt disagreed. Braden disagreed. The trainer disagreed. The players disagreed, but as you suggest that doesn't mean they were right. Lot of different opinions on a lot of different things and life goes on. No problem

None of that has anything to do whether he should play or not. Others have tried to tell you as much. Keep your opinion it is fine. Discussing such farther is meaningless and I have no issue with you holding your opinion. I disagree. Matt disagreed. Braden disagreed. The trainer disagreed. The players disagreed, but as you suggest that doesn't mean they were right. Lot of different opinions on a lot of different things and life goes on. No problem
You said the situation is being mischaracterized. I argued it wasn’t. Then you changed the argument to if he should have played. You can disagree and think he should have played. I can’t imagine what you thought the benefit was as he wasn’t even playing well after, but I can concede that’s your opinion.

Painter played an injured player, critical to the team, in a game that in the long term is less important that the NCAAT. There is no mischaracterization in that.

This is a beaten horse by now, but only your first point is an actual fact. The rest are supposition and opinion. And guessing.

427...listen to the 5 minute Painter presser in the thread on this site. He literally said that if Braden could have injured the calf more, he probably wouldn't have played him.

427...listen to the 5 minute Painter presser in the thread on this site. He literally said that if Braden could have injured the calf more, he probably wouldn't have played him.
Remove the word "probably" and he has it right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT