ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue up to #2 in AP poll

Complete BS. It is because it is Duke. I bet we could have beat the #1 team and been ranked at #5 and wouldn't have been the new #1 the following week.

Well, I want to be the #1 ranked team at the end of the season anyway.

IU has jumped into the top 30 now. Well deserved with that monstrous pre BT schedule of cupcakes. Who is their next opponent, Wabash, Hanover, Rose Hulman, etc.?

Complete BS. It is because it is Duke. I bet we could have beat the #1 team and been ranked at #5 and wouldn't have been the new #1 the following week.

IU has jumped into the top 30 now. Well deserved with that monstrous pre BT schedule of cupcakes. Who is their next opponent, Wabash, Hanover, Rose Hulman, etc.?

I dont think its complete BS. Duke was #5, 3 of the 4 teams ahead of them loss, but one of those losses was because they beat #1.

What is complete BS is somehow Gonzaga got a vote for #1 despite losing to Duke on a neutral court.

I would of loved to be #1, but i rather win the whole damn thing and really want to make a final 4.

You realize people still think they can beat us from IU. I hope Purdue keeps playing with a chip on their shoulder and take it 1 game at a time. We got a long way to go. I am honored to be where we are.

Whoever did the Challenge matchups for ESPN should lose their job. Could have 1 vs 2 to decide it on the court. Instead, we're getting a decent FSU team that's going to be short 3 rotation players.
They do a terrible job more often than not...

Purdue has NEVER played a game in Cameron despite there having been opportunities for it to happen, and, Duke made a single appearance in Mackey.

Essentially...ESPN said going in that they felt Illinois, Michigan AND Ohio St. were better than Purdue.

That all said, I am glad that ESPN does not get to reap the rewards of the matchup in that they more or less did not care about Purdue.

A case can be made for Duke or Purdue as #1 right now. That doesn't bug me too much.

What is a little disappointing: More AP voters had Purdue ranked 3rd than 1st and 2nd combined.

1st place: 9
2nd place: 21
3rd place: 31
Because they don't watch games, and, because they are too wrapped up in the name on the jersey, or, affinity for a HC.

Purdue has been as impressive as anyone to date...yet barely received any national attention. The B1G has disappointed on the whole, but, Purdue has not.

If Purdue were named Indinia...as stupid as that is...they would be #1...if Purdue were named Michigan for that matter, they would likely be #1.

Ultimately, it does not really matter...and, it is more Purdue-like anyway to just recognize it for what it is...and to go out and keep winning and playing good basketball.

As nice as it would be to get ranked #1 at some point just to say we have done that, our focus should really be to stay ahead of Kansas for that #1 seed in the Midwest. That would most likely make our path to New Orleans go through Indy (first 2 rounds) and Chicago (rounds 3-4). That would give us our best shot for a deep tournament run.

A case can be made for Duke or Purdue as #1 right now. That doesn't bug me too much.

What is a little disappointing: More AP voters had Purdue ranked 3rd than 1st and 2nd combined.

1st place: 9
2nd place: 21
3rd place: 31

Exactly. Duke's resume (not just name) is worthy of #1, but how are we not #2 on every voter's list who doesnt have us number 1. Thats the total crap, not that we are #2...no pun intended, lol

Reactions: DAG10
I dont think its complete BS. Duke was #5, 3 of the 4 teams ahead of them loss, but one of those losses was because they beat #1.

What is complete BS is somehow Gonzaga got a vote for #1 despite losing to Duke on a neutral court.

I would of loved to be #1, but i rather win the whole damn thing and really want to make a final 4.
Exactly. If someone wants to argue that both teams are undefeated and that Duke gets the edge for beating Gonzaga and Kentucky rather than Villanova and UNC, I can accept that. What I don’t get is ranking Gonzaga over Purdue while Purdue has played a great schedule and has absolutely taken care of business. You can believe that Gonzaga is the best team and rank still them third because Purdue is more deserving based on results.

Reactions: DAG10 and RDUBoiler

Yeah, I don't get how Gonzaga loses and *still* gets a first place vote. I'm fine with Duke being ahed of us right now, but for someone to vote for Gonzaga ahead of an unbeaten Purdue is a bit much.

It's not surprising that a Top 5 team that beat the consensus Number 1 would be voted Number 1 the following week. Keep winning and this subjective stuff will take care of itself.
You know if it was other way around and Duke was 3 and we were 5 who beat the 1. Duke is still #1. I know one of the voters and and she could not name a member of the Purdue basketball team when I spoke to her at the FL/ Georgia game. Just that we have a really tall guy.

I would really want to see the Purdue-Duke match-up and hope to see it when it really counts. Purdue can't control the ranking votes and they can't control who they play in these match-ups. They can control how they prepare and play against the next opponent. I vote with those who say, 'Just keep winning.'

You know if it was other way around and Duke was 3 and we were 5 who beat the 1. Duke is still #1. I know one of the voters and and she could not name a member of the Purdue basketball team when I spoke to her at the FL/ Georgia game. Just that we have a really tall guy.
Not complaining about Purdue's ranking, but some people vote based on the color of the uniforms. Wasn't there an Indinia fan who had a vote and who was always rating Purdue lower than all other voters? I don't remember the name, but one season they were the only voter who did not have Purdue in the Top 25.

They do a terrible job more often than not...

Purdue has NEVER played a game in Cameron despite there having been opportunities for it to happen, and, Duke made a single appearance in Mackey.

Essentially...ESPN said going in that they felt Illinois, Michigan AND Ohio St. were better than Purdue.

That all said, I am glad that ESPN does not get to reap the rewards of the matchup in that they more or less did not care about Purdue.
Because Illinois is playing Notre Dame in the dreaded Monday timeslot up against MNF?

Yeah, I don't get how Gonzaga loses and *still* gets a first place vote. I'm fine with Duke being ahed of us right now, but for someone to vote for Gonzaga ahead of an unbeaten Purdue is a bit much.
To me it's a mistake for anyone to vote Gonzaga ahead of Duke, irrelevant to Purdue's ranking. But to say Gonzaga can't be ranked by anyone ahead of Purdue is a bit biased IMO. Gonzaga has played the harder schedule to this point, destroying Texas and UCLA, and playing Duke to the wire in a heck of a game. Anyone watching that game could come out of it thinking that those 2 teams were the best teams in the country. Yeah, they get the benefit of being a mostly standalone game that everyone could watch, but that's what #1 vs #5 matchups get, especially in Vegas.

Keep on winning, and the rest will take care of itself.

As nice as it would be to get ranked #1 at some point just to say we have done that, our focus should really be to stay ahead of Kansas for that #1 seed in the Midwest. That would most likely make our path to New Orleans go through Indy (first 2 rounds) and Chicago (rounds 3-4). That would give us our best shot for a deep tournament run.
Exactly this. The number 1 ranking is nice and all but not nearly as important as what you said in your post here.

Look, y'all need to relax. If we continue to win this all takes care of itself. All of you saying if we were named another team we'd be #1? If you want the narrative to change, you need to change the narrative. March is a long way off. You can't settle for and excuse years of mediocrity and then get upset that other schools don't and have created a narrative for their programs. Pick a lane folks!

This absolutely is the most important thing. We'll hear people on here at the end of the season saying seeding doesn't matter, you have to win 6 anyway......seeding is very important and the #1 seed is the most important thing. Statistically there is a much better chance of making the FF from the #1 position and it really isn't close.

Well put, all of it. The media love fest for Duke continues as well as IU's cupcake interlude before the B10 season.

I would really want to see the Purdue-Duke match-up and hope to see it when it really counts. Purdue can't control the ranking votes and they can't control who they play in these match-ups. They can control how they prepare and play against the next opponent. I vote with those who say, 'Just keep winning.'
I hope we don’t have to play Duke when it counts. They are really good and although I believe we can wear them down with our depth. What I don’t believe is that those who have a say will allow Duke to lose before the title game.

I wish UCLA played Gonzaga a little closer. That blowout hurt us a little since UCLA beat Nova. Duke will lose at some point especially on the road with a young team. We need to focus and keep winning.

That 100% needs to be the goal. We get those 2 venues... as terrible as we seem to play in them... we have pseudo home games until we lose/get to the FF.

This absolutely is the most important thing. We'll hear people on here at the end of the season saying seeding doesn't matter, you have to win 6 anyway......seeding is very important and the #1 seed is the most important thing. Statistically there is a much better chance of making the FF from the #1 position and it really isn't close.

Agree. The #1 seed is what matters (prior to the tournament) and Purdue will be judged by how it does with the schedule it has. All that really matters tomorrow is that Purdue beats FSU. Then Purdue has a big conference opener against Iowa. If Purdue keeps winning, a #1 seed is there for the taking, but it will not be easy with the schedule Purdue has. There will be games when shots won’t fall or opponents can’t seem to miss or calls all seem to go the wrong way. In all likelihood, there will be injuries or illness or opponents that the players don’t take seriously enough. What I want to see is a team that keeps on fighting through the adversity and puts itself in the best position to succeed in March.

For those that care about this stuff, the one voter who still has Gonzaga #1 put Duke at 4. Maybe he has been asleep since Friday afternoon?
He moved Houston up from 8 to 5 after they lost to Wisconsin, who he has as unranked. My guess is he went on vacation and let someone else vote for him this week.

I hope we don’t have to play Duke when it counts. They are really good and although I believe we can wear them down with our depth. What I don’t believe is that those who have a say will allow Duke to lose before the title game.
I think Andy was trying to say that if we play Duke this year, it's a good chance it would be in a FF game or NC game, hence already making the FF which is what he is hoping for.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT