ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue picked to win Big Ten

Well the Kentucky of now isn't looking to too bad. I'd take the 4 "down years" after the decade they had prior. 2009-2020 was pretty good. National title, multiple Final Fours and Elite 8s. Yea I would take that.
Win at any cost, reputation be damned.
Most iu fans would.
That's part of what makes rooting against iu so satisfying. ;)

Win at any cost, reputation be damned.
Most iu fans would.
That's part of what makes rooting against iu so satisfying. ;)
Not sure why you are lumping in the current Mark Pope incarnation of UK with the Calipari version. For 2025 UK has two commits and both are in-state players. Those two are very highly rated, but they were UK's priority over highly rated out of state kids.

If IU gets Mullins and Sisley (and Mullins clearly will be paid well by NIL) why does that make IU more of a 'win at any cost' team than Purdue's current 2025 class of Antoine West Jr. from Ohio, who will also be getting as much NIL as he can (though certainly much less than Mullins or those two UK kids)? Four of Purdue's five 2024 recruits are out-of-state (though one has strong Purdue family ties). I would assume that after the senior year he had, Jacobsen is a fairly expensive NIL get for Purdue, Harris somewhat expensive for a freshman, and the others much less so. Btw, I'm not begrudging Purdue for this at all; they're like most schools -- doing the best they can with the budget available.

So given that it is part of the system and literally every team is paying NIL, what is wrong with a big-budget team prioritizing in-state five stars, and then back-filling with local developmental players and portal additions?

Why 2009? Why not be more current, like 2020? This is the kind of thinking that makes IU fans cherry-pick years to convince themselves that their program has dominated Purdue.
Why 2009? Because 2009 is when Calipari came to Kentucky and essentially made the one and done era what it was. I know exactly what you were trying to get at. That somehow Purdue has some moral high ground because Kentucky went out and recruited at the highest level possible under Calipari. That's why 2009. Can you honestly say Purdue was better than Kentucky under Cals tenure there where he installed the freshman 5* machine? Just because you think they "cheated" means Purdue was better?

Why 2009? Because 2009 is when Calipari came to Kentucky and essentially made the one and done era what it was. I know exactly what you were trying to get at. That somehow Purdue has some moral high ground because Kentucky went out and recruited at the highest level possible under Calipari. That's why 2009. Can you honestly say Purdue was better than Kentucky under Cals tenure there where he installed the freshman 5* machine? Just because you think they "cheated" means Purdue was better?
Explain what has occurred since 2020. Was Calipari's system better?

I understand your point. Under Knight, IU fans crowed about winning without cheating. Now they are desperate for wins and only care about winning -- by any means.

I understand your point. Under Knight, IU fans crowed about winning without cheating. Now they are desperate for wins and only care about winning -- by any means.
COVID years and the transfer portal happened. It was more difficult to win with freshmen leading the way against older competition. Along with more transfers into the SEC who were really good at small schools. COVID changed everything. This is the last season of the COVID year as well, so things will start to change again.

And... How exactly is Indiana cheating? By legally paying players?

Curious about the negative inference of “by any means.”

What are the negative means that you see with the current IU program? Simply paying the market NIL rate for portal additions that see their options and choose IU?

Last edited:
COVID years and the transfer portal happened. It was more difficult to win with freshmen leading the way against older competition. Along with more transfers into the SEC who were really good at small schools. COVID changed everything. This is the last season of the COVID year as well, so things will start to change again.

And... How exactly is Indiana cheating? By legally paying players?
Did I say Indiana is cheating? Read it again.

You implied it... Stevie Wonder could see it.

"I understand your point. Under Knight, IU fans crowed about winning without cheating. Now they are desperate for wins and only care about winning -- by any means."
Got eeeeeem
Awkward Big Brother Season 20 GIF by Big Brother

Reactions: Bank Shot Podcast

"I understand your point. Under Knight, IU fans crowed about winning without cheating. Now they are desperate for wins and only care about winning -- by any means."
Yeah I can see that was implied. But the means are buying the team. The use of flashing their rings/banner and glory have no value to kids that have never witnessed a good IU team. Let’s be honest, these guys have never seen an iu team get past the sweet 16 and only 3 in their lifetimes. Only 2 big ten champions too. Purdue, Ohio state, wisconsin, Michigan state, and Michigan have more in their lifetimes. Oregon and ucla have had more success and arguably usc and Washington. Is indiana the tenth highest profile basketball program in the big ten in the lifetimes of recruits, putting them in the bottom half. It’s hard to argue they’re better than the other 8.

Yeah I can see that was implied. But the means are buying the team. The use of flashing their rings/banner and glory have no value to kids that have never witnessed a good IU team. Let’s be honest, these guys have never seen an iu team get past the sweet 16 and only 3 in their lifetimes. Only 2 big ten champions too. Purdue, Ohio state, wisconsin, Michigan state, and Michigan have more in their lifetimes. Oregon and ucla have had more success and arguably usc and Washington. Is indiana the tenth highest profile basketball program in the big ten in the lifetimes of recruits, putting them in the bottom half. It’s hard to argue they’re better than the other 8.
Maybe so, but Indiana still has that lure, the resources, the fan support, the alumni base. Is it what it used to be? No. But might as well work with what ya got right? If you can go out and get what you need, you've got a duty as a head coach and program to do so.

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk

Nope. You must be more blind than Stevie Wonder. Or terrible reading comprehension. Or you see yourself in my post and don't like what you see. I clearly was talking about IU fans. Over the past several years, many have stated they wanted Calipari for IU's coach. Or Bruce Pearl. Or they wanted Sampson back. They didn't care about cheating, they just wanted IU to win again.

Nope. You must be more blind than Stevie Wonder. Or terrible reading comprehension. Or you see yourself in my post and don't like what you see. I clearly was talking about IU fans. Over the past several years, many have stated they wanted Calipari for IU's coach. Or Bruce Pearl. Or they wanted Sampson back. They didn't care about cheating, they just wanted IU to win again.
And again implying cheating. You're really bad at this.

Maybe so, but Indiana still has that lure, the resources, the fan support, the alumni base. Is it what it used to be? No. But might as well work with what ya got right? If you can go out and get what you need, you've got a duty as a head coach and program to do so.
What is “the lure?” That is kinda my point I don’t think they do. They do have the alumni base (which I assume you mean NIL, I don’t think an 18 year old kid cares about alumni), resources, and some fan support. I would say Purdue has stronger fan support. if you’ve been to a game at marckey it is one of the loudest and energetic experiences. Also often during recruiting the recruits are going to football games too which doesn’t bode well for indiana with a half empty stadium (that could be different). I also think a negative in indiana is if I kid hangs out with the team there is no long term longevity. Galloway and Leal have been there a while and renau 2 years and a coach ready to lock out but that’s about it. As opposed to Purdue where you have 7 3rd - 5th year scholarship players and a younger coach with a long way to go at Purdue. Hard for these guys to look at indiana and see what life will be like for 6 more years when they graduate.

What is “the lure?” That is kinda my point I don’t think they do. They do have the alumni base (which I assume you mean NIL, I don’t think an 18 year old kid cares about alumni), resources, and some fan support. I would say Purdue has stronger fan support. if you’ve been to a game at marckey it is one of the loudest and energetic experiences. Also often during recruiting the recruits are going to football games too which doesn’t bode well for indiana with a half empty stadium (that could be different). I also think a negative in indiana is if I kid hangs out with the team there is no long term longevity. Galloway and Leal have been there a while and renau 2 years and a coach ready to lock out but that’s about it. As opposed to Purdue where you have 7 3rd - 5th year scholarship players and a younger coach with a long way to go at Purdue. Hard for these guys to look at indiana and see what life will be like for 6 more years when they graduate.
As Tom Cream once said, "It's Indiana." The brand is still there. That's why Indiana makes more money than basically every other program. Meaning the fan support is there as well. And when Indiana is good, Mackey can't touch Assembly Hall. Really nowhere else can outside of Phog Allen. Throw in the fact you get all that plus money... It's a pretty good deal. NIL should help Indiana get back to where it belongs. Haven't been in the top 10 nationally much the last decade outside of maybe a couple times but that's where they belong. And it'll be better for the B1G if/when they get back there. Is that this year? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
As Tom Cream once said, "It's Indiana." The brand is still there. That's why Indiana makes more money than basically every other program. Meaning the fan support is there as well. And when Indiana is good, Mackey can't touch Assembly Hall. Really nowhere else can outside of Phog Allen. Throw in the fact you get all that plus money... It's a pretty good deal. NIL should help Indiana get back to where it belongs. Haven't been in the top 10 nationally much the last decade outside of maybe a couple times but that's where they belong. And it'll be better for the B1G if/when they get back there. Is that this year? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not.
It would also help if the IU head coach wasn't perceived to be a "lovable but quirky ol' grandpa" type.

Assembly Hall??? Its was designed not for the fan. Sure it gets loud when there is a big game, but most of the time it kinda feels like your at Cracker Barrell! At Mackey, the fans always bring it, was designed for basketball! Now where in the states does it get louder than Mackey! Been to both, sorry but your wrong!

Reactions: BBG
And when Indiana is good, Mackey can't touch Assembly Hall.
This is categorically false. It's even been mentioned during broadcasts that Mackey is one of the loudest arenas there is. When Mackey is roaring it is deafening .. best IU has (yes I have been there when iu was considered "good") is a loudish scream.. I've been to malls that were louder.

This is categorically false. It's even been mentioned during broadcasts that Mackey is one of the loudest arenas there is. When Mackey is roaring it is deafening .. best IU has (yes I have been there when iu was considered "good") is a loudish scream.. I've been to malls that were louder.
That's one loud-ass mall you've been shopping at.

Assembly Hall??? Its was designed not for the fan. Sure it gets loud when there is a big game, but most of the time it kinda feels like your at Cracker Barrell! At Mackey, the fans always bring it, was designed for basketball! Now where in the states does it get louder than Mackey! Been to both, sorry but your wrong!
Under the balcony can suck to sit at, but the place was literally built to send sound to the floor. Why it's so loud. I know Purdue fans can't be unbiased, but Assembly Hall #2 in the nation. The Phog is just too good(bucket list type place).

Under the balcony can suck to sit at, but the place was literally built to send sound to the floor. Why it's so loud. I know Purdue fans can't be unbiased, but Assembly Hall #2 in the nation. The Phog is just too good(bucket list type place).
Assembly can absolutely get loud. But I'll trust the players on who they say is loudest.

Reactions: BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT