ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue picked to win Big Ten

He will be better as a sophomore. He's a smart kid with a high motor. He's going to see some minutes but he won't have so much responsibility on him like he ended up with last year. That should help him quite a bit.
He can be the smartest and have the highest motor in the history of basketball, but he needs the actual skill set at the D1 P5 level, which was not there last year. Deer in headlights and a terrible shot for a “coach’s son”. Oof. Wonder if that IU board still thinks he’s going to be better than Smith 😂

He can be the smartest and have the highest motor in the history of basketball, but he needs the actual skill set at the D1 P5 level, which was not there last year. Deer in headlights and a terrible shot for a “coach’s son”. Oof. Wonder if that IU board still thinks he’s going to be better than Smith 😂
Agree, he's not very good. May be passable as an upperclassman but should have never seen the court last year and really shouldn't this year.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
IU fans are now saying Rice is gonna be the point guard to lead them back to glory. Reality is he didn’t finish in the top 100 last year at assists so I wish them luck.

IU fans are now saying Rice is gonna be the point guard to lead them back to glory. Reality is he didn’t finish in the top 100 last year at assists so I wish them luck.
First it was X and how crazy it was that he and even a top 10 PG in the B1G (the audacity)! And then it was Cupps is much better than smith—Higher IQ and going to definitely be better. And now it’s Rice. I’m rooting for him, as he beat cancer, but it still is tough to root for him since he’s on IU. He is definitely (on paper) the best PG out of those 3.

But I’d still take Bearden over em all

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Rice is absolutely a point guard. Galloway will likely play 25+ minutes per game and split between multiple positions. But Galloway is definitely not a full time pg.
Doubtful he gets 25+ with rice, Carlyle, cupps, Newton, and Leal to spread out the minutes. Don’t forget their 3 will be Mgbako, Goode, and tucker.

He's got the skill for the level. He definitely had a confidence issue last year. Probably due to being in a position he was t expected to be in. He had his moments and hit some big shots. A smaller role, with less responsibility will be good for him and his development. Along with being able to practice against guys like Rice and Carlyle that are much different than Galloway or Xavier Johnson.

He's got the skill for the level. He definitely had a confidence issue last year. Probably due to being in a position he was t expected to be in. He had his moments and hit some big shots. A smaller role, with less responsibility will be good for him and his development. Along with being able to practice against guys like Rice and Carlyle that are much different than Galloway or Xavier Johnson.
lol no.

I'm not sure he'd get another year if Indiana is on the bubble this coming year. 70% sure that'd get him "retired."
Wow, I suck at this today. Here’s the question I’m trying to ask. If Woody wins the Big Ten and makes the second weekend this year, can he survive a bubble season the following season to come back for an additional season after that?

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Wow, I suck at this today. Here’s the question I’m trying to ask. If Woody wins the Big Ten and makes the second weekend this year, can he survive a bubble season the following season to come back for an additional season after that?
Probably not because his buyout would be very low by then.

Reactions: northside100
Have you looked at their roster, Woody will have to start all over again next year. At least 6 to 8 ships to fill, their budget will might have to double. I believe this is why Woody is having trouble with HS recruits. They have guards on their shelf, but the BIGS are not there, none to develop! It seems like all he is recruiting is guards and small forwards. He has to count on the money, buy developed players by other coaches!

Reactions: BBG and Boiler Buck
Have you looked at their roster, Woody will have to start all over again next year. At least 6 to 8 ships to fill, their budget will might have to double. I believe this is why Woody is having trouble with HS recruits. They have guards on their shelf, but the BIGS are not there, none to develop! It seems like all he is recruiting is guards and small forwards. He has to count on the money, buy developed players by other coaches!
IU will start the year after the approaching one with Reneau, Sisley, Newton, Cupps, Tucker, Carlyle, and Rice. That's assuming that Mgbako is a pro after year two, and that Rice, Carlyle, Tucker, and Reneau are not 1st rounders (I wouldn't expect they would be). That would be three returning starters plus a five star rotation sophomore returning. Filling a roster with two or three more freshmen and a few portal bigs is just fine at that point.

It will be an 'Edey-like' decision for each of the 'possible-but probably not 1st round' potential pros. Given the state of college basketball, each can make more at a P5 school than playing in the G-League or Europe, all while working toward a degree and frankly, enjoying a life style that doesn't consist of unlimited bus rides and mediocre hotels. I guess the counter is, if Reneau, Tucker, Carlyle, and Rice are first rounders, then IU is going to have one hell of a year, but will need a whole new roster.

IU will start the year after the approaching one with Reneau, Sisley, Newton, Cupps, Tucker, Carlyle, and Rice. That's assuming that Mgbako is a pro after year two, and that Rice, Carlyle, Tucker, and Reneau are not 1st rounders (I wouldn't expect they would be). That would be three returning starters plus a five star rotation sophomore returning. Filling a roster with two or three more freshmen and a few portal bigs is just fine at that point.

It will be an 'Edey-like' decision for each of the 'possible-but probably not 1st round' potential pros. Given the state of college basketball, each can make more at a P5 school than playing in the G-League or Europe, all while working toward a degree and frankly, enjoying a life style that doesn't consist of unlimited bus rides and mediocre hotels. I guess the counter is, if Reneau, Tucker, Carlyle, and Rice are first rounders, then IU is going to have one hell of a year, but will need a whole new roster.
Or one disappointing year, and exit stage right! The carousal goes round and round, Woody getting "OLD", spend $$$$$$ baby spend! IU is run like our Government!

Or one disappointing year, and exit stage right! The carousal goes round and round, Woody getting "OLD", spend $$$$$$ baby spend! IU is run like our Government!
Woody is not "getting old;" Woody is old.
Even if he succeeds beyond imagination he only has a few years left as a head coach.

Guessing most iu fans are fine with being the next KY after all these years of sucking the big one.

Guessing most iu fans are fine with being the next KY after all these years of sucking the big one.
Kentucky under Pope? That would mean getting the absolute best players from in-state to go with some high-end national recruits and a lot of guys that can shoot the ball.

Not saying that will happen, but yes; that would be optimum.

Last edited:
Tom Crean couldn't... So... Maybe? Woody has way more pull than Crean did. But he got fired after winning 2 B1G titles in 4 years and missing the tourney twice. There was a lot of background stuff to it but he still got fired. Would they fire Woody? I don't think they would just because of who he is. He will have to retire to leave IMO.

I see this years IU team as more of a last years Arkansas. Load up on transfers with talent and see if they gel. They of course beat us in the expedition game but then fell off the face of the earth. The question is, can Woody get this team to play as one or will it be like Arkansas and have several guys looking out for themselves?

I see this years IU team as more of a last years Arkansas. Load up on transfers with talent and see if they gel. They of course beat us in the expedition game but then fell off the face of the earth. The question is, can Woody get this team to play as one or will it be like Arkansas and have several guys looking out for themselves?
Well in the exhibition game we lost, Zach hadn’t played with the team all year and then Arkansas declared it their NC 😂…also there was a wild rumor out of Arkansas sooo not sure IU will have them same rumor going around 😂

Tom Crean couldn't... So... Maybe? Woody has way more pull than Crean did. But he got fired after winning 2 B1G titles in 4 years and missing the tourney twice. There was a lot of background stuff to it but he still got fired. Would they fire Woody? I don't think they would just because of who he is. He will have to retire to leave IMO.
That makes sense I suspect that it will also depend upon who is available to IU at the time. That will be a huge hire for IU, they need to get it right.

Reactions: Katscratch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT